• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vegas and trip to Grand Canyon

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
Hi y'all. Since our St Thomas timeshare was devastated by two hurricanes we're going to Vegas this December. We've been before but stayed in hotels. What's the weather like in December? We plan on seeing some shows and renting a car and driving down to the Grand Canyon. Where would be a good place to stay overnight? Thanks for any ideas.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Hi y'all. Since our St Thomas timeshare was devastated by two hurricanes we're going to Vegas this December. We've been before but stayed in hotels. What's the weather like in December? We plan on seeing some shows and renting a car and driving down to the Grand Canyon. Where would be a good place to stay overnight? Thanks for any ideas.

I would definitely stay in the lodge in the park (reservations). Watch the sunset and sunrise. Have no clue what it is like in December, though.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The South Rim of the Grand Canyon is open year round. I Googled and found this information that might be helpful. I second the suggestion to stay in the park and I assume by "the lodge" Mary Ann means the El Tovar. There are a couple of other lodges along the rim that you should also check out. It might be hard to get reservations at any of them this late though. If there is no availability in the park, you could also try Tusayan, which is not far outside the park.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/winter-visits.htm

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
What's the weather like in December?
The altitude in Las Vegas is around 2,000 ft. so it does get cold in the winter. Here's some info: In most years, Las Vegas averages a daily maximum temperature for Decemberthat's between 54 and 59 degrees Fahrenheit (12 to 15 degrees Celsius). The minimum temperature usually falls between 36 and 41 °F (2 to 5 °C). December is the coldest month overall for Las Vegas and the 21st is its chilliest day.

It's usually sunny, though, so I'm sure you'll find it more appealing than other parts of the country that might have snow and ice at that time.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The South Rim of the Grand Canyon is open year round. I Googled and found this information that might be helpful. I second the suggestion to stay in the park and I assume by "the lodge" Mary Ann means the El Tovar. There are a couple of other lodges along the rim that you should also check out. It might be hard to get reservations at any of them this late though. If there is no availability in the park, you could also try Tusayan, which is not far outside the park.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/winter-visits.htm

Yes- El Tovar is the lodge I meant.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
Thanks y'all for the info!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The altitude in Las Vegas is around 2,000 ft. so it does get cold in the winter. Here's some info: In most years, Las Vegas averages a daily maximum temperature for Decemberthat's between 54 and 59 degrees Fahrenheit (12 to 15 degrees Celsius). The minimum temperature usually falls between 36 and 41 °F (2 to 5 °C). December is the coldest month overall for Las Vegas and the 21st is its chilliest day.

It's usually sunny, though, so I'm sure you'll find it more appealing than other parts of the country that might have snow and ice at that time.

But it's a dry cold... (LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist. :) )

Dave

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
But it's a dry cold... (LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist. :) )

Dave
Ha, ha! That it is, unlike the "wet" cold of Seattle.:D

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
When planning your trip to the Grand Canyon, make sure to plan for the weather. It can be very cold and snowy. The elevation at the South Rim is 6800' and cold fronts tend to come down from the north to south of I-40 and it can get some big snowfalls. In addition, the wind can make the cold even worse so make sure you bring some additional cold gear.
I picked a random date to check wunderground and for Dec 15, most years it is below freezing overnight warming up to the mid-50's. In 2015, it was down to 11 below 0 and 'warmed' up to 27 degrees. The wind was 12 mph so the windchill felt like 16 degrees. No snow so the drive would be fine other than dealing with black ice but you would need appropriate clothing especially ear/hand covering.

Sue

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
Booked at El Tovar. We're looking forward to the trip!