• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vidanta Rescind...Am I on the hook?

eightrays

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been searching through the threads but couldn't find a situation that was similar to mine. I purchased a Suite Park Loft from our visit last week unknowingly that the park is now being redesigned into something else. I've also started to see GL units in PV that are much cheaper than what I bought. We stayed at the GL for half our trip after purchasing on 6/19 which was given to us as an "International Sales Move In Application". On 6/24 I sent my registered mail with return receipt cancellation with all necessary info...I was waiting for the next steps and I get a call today regarding the cancellation process and was told to look at that application.

Print at the bottom reads:
In the event this agreement is terminated by my (Our) own volition, I(we) agree to pay the full cost for the rack rate of the room occupied (2,500USD per night); to be charged to credit card.

So basically he says if my cancellation goes through, I need to pay $10,000 for the 4 nights we stayed in the suite. Am I screwed because I signed this document? The paper doesn't look like any of the other contract documents. It was not signed by anyone there. The document doesn't even have any kind of wording regarding expiration. Is the document void since I already checked out? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost tempted to just bite the bullet on this one to save me from a bigger expense of paying the entire timeshare.

Thank you for your time and hope that there is a way out,

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For $2500 a night those must be nice digs. I think that if the rescission is processed, I think I'd force them to work for the 'penalty'. I'd tell 'em to pound sand. What is the total that you signed up for?

Jim

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I’d say it’s a scare tactic. If you paid a bill when you checked out, you should see a room tax on it. That’s based on what they tell the government their rack rate is, which is significantly less than $2500 per night. Keep that in mind if they try to charge you $10K, and contact Profeco about it. Also, inform your credit card company to either cancel that number and issue you a new one or to decline further charges.

eightrays

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’d say it’s a scare tactic. If you paid a bill when you checked out, you should see a room tax on it. That’s based on what they tell the government their rack rate is, which is significantly less than $2500 per night. Keep that in mind if they try to charge you $10K, and contact Profeco about it. Also, inform your credit card company to either cancel that number and issue you a new one or to decline further charges.

Thanks Eric, that's good advice to get a new CC number which I've now done. I've also sent a message to Profeco to see what is possible with them. I did notice something in the document wording that makes me feel like you are correct that this is more of a scare tactic now. There is a section that says **The above member/guest agrees to pay the appropriate nightly rate, plus room taxes and any personal room charges directly to the hotel upon check-out.

I would argue that the life of this document is done after check-out has been complete. I've been asked to contact the same guy tomorrow morning on this issue. I don't know how it's possible for them to collect on this room rate or if its even legal for them to charge me.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a section that says **The above member/guest agrees to pay the appropriate nightly rate, plus room taxes and any personal room charges directly to the hotel upon check-out.

I don't know how it's possible for them to collect on this room rate or if its even legal for them to charge me.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like they want to scare you into buying in order to avoid those high nightly charges. I am guessing this is a hidden sales tactic. Don't bite. You're too smart for that.

Also, this may be a first for retroactive room charges. They are allowed in cases of damage, but otherwise I don't believe you are responsible for charges "after your stay".

eightrays

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to do now. I just received an email from Vida accounting that they are charging me late fees for the down payment that was taken back by the credit card company since I disputed the charge. The rescission letter tracking shows it has been received but they have not sent me anthing about my cancellation. I wasn't sure if I need to be contacting them again to get them to cancel on their end or if that's just done without me doing anything else. Last email they sent, they are still requesting payment for this room upgrade fee. Not sure what I need to do now to get this thing to be gone.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I'd probably reply to the email that you bought on 6/19, and have a postmarked rescission letter from 6/24 well within the allowable rescission period, It was they, who insisted that you change from your original lodging, and you are not paying them another dime. In short, POUND SAND! Any further attempts to collect will be turned over under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and they are to cease and desist.

Jim

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to do now. I just received an email from Vida accounting that they are charging me late fees for the down payment that was taken back by the credit card company since I disputed the charge. The rescission letter tracking shows it has been received but they have not sent me anthing about my cancellation. I wasn't sure if I need to be contacting them again to get them to cancel on their end or if that's just done without me doing anything else. Last email they sent, they are still requesting payment for this room upgrade fee. Not sure what I need to do now to get this thing to be gone.

Don't be conned into this; fight it all the way. They have 45 days to act on your cancellation and that should happen very shortly.

Send them a copy of your rescission letter ALONG WITH a copy of the Postmarked receipt you obtained when you mailed the certified letter.

Also, make it clear you are not paying any retroactive charges for a room upgrade.