• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott - View from the Balcony

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Marty,
Love all the pics, but of course I love the photo of the pelicans! But come on..... just two ? Where are the photos of the flocks of 50 or 60 that you always text me about ;) ?

Seriously........ great photos, as always!!!!

Tom

From last week @ Grande Ocean:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
now we're talking.......great photos NTP66. I feel like I'm there.....

here are a couple (didn't previously include because not "from a balcony")

nevertheless, worth a glance....

DSCF2571_zpsvqtflxpg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF2238_zps42smnz4j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
now we're talking.......great photos NTP66. I feel like I'm there.....

But I think he cheated.....are those really from his balcony??? ;)

That said....great pics either way.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
here are a couple (didn't previously include because not "from a balcony")

nevertheless, worth a glance....

There you go...one guy cheats and then all the cheaters come out....now we've got chaos!!! :rolleyes:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
lol, I must admit that I only posted the photos because jme opened the door. :) Quite honestly, I personally enjoy seeing photos of the grounds, beach, etc. for the resorts.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
There you go...one guy cheats and then all the cheaters come out....now we've got chaos!!! :rolleyes:

It's anarchy, that's what it is. ;)

Eventually this thread should probably be merged into the Pictures sticky thread, I think?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

"from the balcony" could mean....."I left the balcony, walked to the beach, and took these photos........"

so there.

otherwise, I confess. I happen to like photos too, any resort photos. Besides, there was a lull..........nothing like a pelican to fill a void. And, when there's chaos, always good to see how nature exhibits "order", even in the way pelicans fly. I feel better having looked.

nice to know the Balcony Police never sleep :D

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
lol, I must admit that I only posted the photos because jme opened the door. :) Quite honestly, I personally enjoy seeing photos of the grounds, beach, etc. for the resorts.

actually I didn't open the door, because the photo of my two pelicans WAS taken from my balcony.......if you scroll down to see the bottom of that photo, you'll see the beach which was also captured from that balcony.

I remember taking that photo because I was surprised I got it------I had to shoot that one at precisely the right moment, on ZOOM, in order to capture the pelicans in flight. It happened quickly. They were mere feet from me....I think one winked as he flew past....;)

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
actually I didn't open the door, because the photo of my two pelicans WAS taken from my balcony.......if you scroll down in that photo, you'll see the beach which was also visible from that balcony.

I remember taking that photo because I was surprised I got it------I had to shoot that one at precisely the right moment, on ZOOM, in order to capture the pelicans in flight. It happened quickly. They were mere feet from me....I think one winked as he flew past....;)

In that case, allow me to attempt to make up for it by posting a picture of the balconies at Grande Ocean. :)

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, I can play this game too.
Here is a photo from just above our villa balcony at St Kitts Beach Club.
The next may be from Outer Space.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 228

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points

the question is would Marriott classify this view as oceanfront? or oceanview? :rolleyes:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points

bazzap...we're just impressed you were able to post this picture right side up. :D

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
bazzap...we're just impressed you were able to post this picture right side up. :D
Nice one!
I made sure I had my anti gravity boots on.
(Oh and perhaps John there needs to be a new category - ocean top?)

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Hilton Head

Barony Oceanfront, summer 2014

(Scroll left-right for full photo)

IMG_9537_zpsclhalcmm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_9548_zpsrbrzvhrf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_9421_zpsccoxobmg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_9374_zpsqbhord0u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_9604_zpsqy4seimw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_9503_zpskl5bjqmu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Hilton Head March 2015

MONARCH

(SCROLL LEFT-RIGHT to see full photo)

IMG_2166_zpsbe598d06.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2148_zps75aaf4e6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2147_zpseb950aae.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2165_zpsecc07b91.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

MONARCH, Garden Villa balcony view (different occasion)

IMG_3076_zpsomisive7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
Maui Ocean Club Molokai Tower, 7th Floor

Maui Ocean Club
Molokai Tower, 7th Floor.:D:D

HawaiI_2009143.jpg

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Club Son Antem, Majorca

No spectacular ocean views, just a beautiful rural scene looking out over the private villa gardens and the golf course to the mountains beyond, with only the occasional sound of a ball being struck and the wonderful calls of the eagles flying overhead.
Peace and tranquility - perfect (for us, anyway)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 161

taffy19

Reaction score
SCROLL to RIGHT to see full photos !!!!!!!

Your pictures are beautiful, jme. You can't beat an ocean view but what is the name of this view category?

It is very nice too to look at these beautiful, mature trees with the leaves still on the trees. What months of the year are they bare as that would be less attractive?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the roof top deck Avenue Plaza New Orleans

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 144

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Aruba Ocean Club - OF Top Floor

IMG_1243.JPG

The colors of the ocean are unreal. Oh I miss this place :bawl:

maph

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ko Olina, 16th floor of Hale Nai'a (31611)

Ko%20Olina%2016th%20floor_zpstdnprykw.png

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Your pictures are beautiful, jme. You can't beat an ocean view but what is the name of this view category?

It is very nice too to look at these beautiful, mature trees with the leaves still on the trees. What months of the year are they bare as that would be less attractive?

This is an Oceanside View, but read more below to understand. There are different Oceanside views---this one happens to be our favorite type, located on the North side. Nowadays it's called a "Courtyard View", but legally it's "Oceanside". All
Oceanside views are called Courtyard now by the resort day in and day out, whether it sees the ocean, trees, or lagoon.
Live Oak leaves on trees stay all year, never lost completely. Some may fall but they're constantly replaced. So, they are EVERGREEN practically speaking.
See: http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index.ssf/2015/03/why_is_my_live_oak_losing_its.html

Explanation:
Grande Ocean has only two legal designations,
Oceanfront and Oceanside, and those terms are on the deeds at time of purchase.

As things have evolved, they have renamed those views (on Interval International reservations forms, for example) as "Close to Beach" for Oceanfront, and "Courtyard View" for Oceanside.

These "new" names are merely to more accurately state to VISITORS such as traders, renters (even owners on their reservations) what kind of view one will be receiving, so that no one shows up at check-in and is livid because their supposed "Oceanfront" view can't fully see the ocean, or their "Oceanside" view isn't beside the ocean and doesn't see the ocean at all----as both original terms SORT OF carry the connotation or allusion that the ocean is intimately involved with a VIEW. A view name on a reservation doesn't guarantee much in regard to a view of ocean, explained more below.

These terms reflect Grande Ocean's unique situation whereby the resort is not really "about the ocean view", but more about the PROXIMITY of the building TO the ocean. For example, an Oceanfront villa may indeed have trees in front of it and you cannot see the ocean at all, or only partially at best. It happens with a few of the oceanfront villas. So instead they now say being OF is "close to the ocean" only. If you happen to get lucky and get a high floor that also has a direct ocean view, great, that's possible too.

And the Oceanside villas can have views of literally ANYTHING------trees, lagoon, a mix, direct high-floor view of ocean, partial view of ocean....whatever. It's luck of the draw. Traders-in may never see the ocean. Owners may never see the ocean. But again, at GO it's not about seeing the ocean from your villa, it's about stepping ONTO THE SAND in 1-3 minutes from anywhere. Not very many spend their time inside there---it's all about outside pool-beach-activity time.

Of course, those who prize the balcony views of the ocean whenever at "a beach resort" might be disappointed or ecstatic depending on the random unit assignment. Owners are typically given alternating assignments whereby one year it's more of an ocean view, following year it's more trees.

Reason for all of this is that Hilton Head codes do NOT allow for excessive pruning of ANY trees or foliage to enhance views, excepting a small % of pruning each year, and Grande Ocean does do that to some extent without destroying the feel of the landscape. It's an environmental/preservation issue.

We happen to LOVE the North side lagoon section....it's more quiet, shaded, cool, relaxed, whatever you wish to say, and we request that type view about half the time now. There are little lights strategically placed in some of the trees in the lagoon section that are gorgeous at night----quite romantic-----and we adore that. It's a wonderful view from the balcony or from any room at night. The week seems to last longer when we stay there. We own 2 OF weeks and 2 OS weeks, and frankly we enjoy the OS best. There are several select OS villas that we are very fond of.

Here are a few more OS views from North side:
(SCROLL LEFT-RIGHT to see full photo)

GrandeOceanHHI-June09025_zps2ecca092.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF2554_zps5545f840.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF2549_zps79d7478c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0497_zpsf541fc34.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0498_zpse41e0d75.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0562_zps57424e6b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1594_zps2f0ff1e8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

THE LIBRARY...............THE LIBRARY................THE LIBRARY
IMG_7363_zpslfq203bk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2813_zpstu7yhdur.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCF2550_zps1d956aec.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation of the view categories at this resort and the additional beautiful photos plus the link about the live oak trees.

This looks like a really beautiful resort to visit in the off season using points one year. I remember reading BocaBoy's thread about his long stay at Hilton Head in January and this resort was his favorite. Even a courtyard view is lovely so we could stay longer.

I am still trying to convince my husband that there are other nice places to visit besides Maui and beach walks in the winter are very nice as I did this many times when I lived in Holland in walking distance of the beach. The strong northern winds there would make it a lot colder than in Hilton Head.

Last edited: