• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Villa Group Puerto Vallarta VPA membership - need advice

MartinN

TUG Member
Reaction score
We paid today about USD $9k for 1000 pts for every even year (year long use), and 1000 bonus points ever odd year for months May-October (Weeks 18 through 43), with a biennial maintenance fee of $435 every even year, and extra $435 if I use it in the odd years with my bonus points. In addition, we were given 12 "getaway" weeks, which permit me usage at a far more discounted rate that one would get by booking through a site like Expedia (haven't checked VRBO or here yet), but it was like ranging from 200-600 per week at any of their 7 resorts or others through Interval International (a 'points exchange' company, kind of like RCI I think) for $89/year.

The agreement is for 50 years "right to use", which I was told - because I asked 3 times at least - can be bequeathed to my children, grandchildren, etc, in perpetuity, even though I do not get a title to the "property" (points). Is this true or not?

We really like the resort we are staying in (Villa del Palmar, the original/oldest one downtown Puerto Vallarta) and we also got to see the newer Villa del Palmar Flamingos, which was rather stunning, even more so than the one we're staying at. I've zero complaints about the service, attentiveness, courtesy at this resort or at the Flamingo.

We believe we're going to use these points every year (or almost every year), now that we've got kids and they enjoy it, and hopefully in retirement for ourselves too.

My only question is - did we overpay for this compared to what other people are paying when purchasing directly from the company or does it sound 'about right'/average?

My other question is - if I were to rescind the contract - I've 4 more days to do so, and purchase these 1000 points aftermarket such as through a website like this, would I pay -significantly- less or not? Assume we pay less, does it mean I do not get to enjoy the same benefits from a resale as I do from a direct sale from the company?

Surely they know their points are being resold on TUG, eBay, etc or other websites and may have put in place a mechanism to prevent resale points owners from enjoying the same benefits as a direct/original sale from the company.

Any fast responses while we're still in our rescission period for the next 4 days would be appreciated! THANK YOU.

Martin

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Haven’t stayed at that one yet, but you can find a number of other listings from that group on the TUG marketplace. The link for that is at the top towards the right. Prices sound better than what you paid and don’t seem to be limited to the off/shoulder season, which is what weeks 18-43 seem like to me. Given the calendar restrictions, I think you would have no problem going there without owning then and save the money; if you’d like to get there in the high season (i.e., when it’s cold up north) and want to own a membership the resale weeks in the marketplace would probably be a better bet. Did you exchange in with a TS you already own? Have any problem getting in? I would rescind if it were me; I do own a membership in a different Mexican TS, but in a way that allows me to stay in February and get warm.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We paid today about USD $9k for 1000 pts for every even year (year long use), and 1000 bonus points ever odd year for months May-October (Weeks 18 through 43), with a biennial maintenance fee of $435 every even year, and extra $435 if I use it in the odd years with my bonus points. In addition, we were given 12 "getaway" weeks, which permit me usage at a far more discounted rate that one would get by booking through a site like Expedia (haven't checked VRBO or here yet), but it was like ranging from 200-600 per week at any of their 7 resorts or others through Interval International (a 'points exchange' company, kind of like RCI I think) for $89/year.

The agreement is for 50 years "right to use", which I was told - because I asked 3 times at least - can be bequeathed to my children, grandchildren, etc, in perpetuity, even though I do not get a title to the "property" (points). Is this true or not?

We really like the resort we are staying in (Villa del Palmar, the original/oldest one downtown Puerto Vallarta) and we also got to see the newer Villa del Palmar Flamingos, which was rather stunning, even more so than the one we're staying at. I've zero complaints about the service, attentiveness, courtesy at this resort or at the Flamingo.

We believe we're going to use these points every year (or almost every year), now that we've got kids and they enjoy it, and hopefully in retirement for ourselves too.

My only question is - did we overpay for this compared to what other people are paying when purchasing directly from the company or does it sound 'about right'/average?

My other question is - if I were to rescind the contract - I've 4 more days to do so, and purchase these 1000 points aftermarket such as through a website like this, would I pay -significantly- less or not? Assume we pay less, does it mean I do not get to enjoy the same benefits from a resale as I do from a direct sale from the company?

Surely they know their points are being resold on TUG, eBay, etc or other websites and may have put in place a mechanism to prevent resale points owners from enjoying the same benefits as a direct/original sale from the company.

Any fast responses while we're still in our rescission period for the next 4 days would be appreciated! THANK YOU.

Martin

Mexican timeshares are RTU -(right to use ) no title or deed .
Villa is a respected , quality Mexican based TS system
and seems to be well liked by owners who are also TUG members

Please read TUG posts by owners
easyrider , beach bar bob , and others ( use the search function )

Read the threads and you can determine value vs cost paid .
I think the deal sounds similar to other recent posts by folks who discovered TUG after purchasing (note: as a non Villa owner I am going by memory )

(I believe)it is difficult to buy resale points based Villa contracts as they ( are structured ) to revert to an older form of membership upon resale .

Don't be scared by the rescind process - consider it 4 days during which YOU have control .
Rescinding is like return something to a store because you decided it did not meet your needs .
You do not have to explain - just file the paperwork on time ( and by mail with receipt .) If you decide to rescind after research on TUG
DO NOT let sales talk you out of it .

Sometimes people will rescind and then negotiate better terms of ownership and " re-buy" I am not sure how this works with Villa .
<With Vidanta - Mayan that I own - you go to member services ( not sales )> The process can use up a fair bit of your vacation week .( added - by process I mean the additional negotiation to get a contract that ( better ) suits your vacation requirements / not the rescind process itself )

Remember - the same deal you just bought will almost always be available in the future .

Last edited:

MartinN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, we debated this and decided it unwise to take on this extra debt at this time. In the contract it stipulates I can rescind by email by stating my intent to the email of the representatives on the contract - which I did, so I've covered that base and I've also let my credit card company know that I've rescinded the contract according to their terms, well within the 5 day period. I have not received a response from the reps as of yet since it's Sunday, but I am hoping they will respond tomorrow. Since we are still here in Puerto Vallarta, should I go to their office and ask for a 'cancellation form' of some sort? Is anyone aware of where I can get one here on the BBS? Also my other question is, does anyone know what the mailing address is for Villa Group cancellations so I can send an additional registered letter via snail mail?

Thank you for your assistance.

Martin

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Found this address in the welcome email they sent me:

ResortCom International (Service Provider for The Villa Group)
6850 Bermuda Road
Las Vegas, NV

Does this look correct to mail the rescind notice to?
When I looked up the address it looks like it is the office address of ResortCom. But in reading reviews of the business there was a response to one poster from ResortCom that said this: "ResortCom is a financial services company, and has nothing to do with the process of selling timeshare or with contracts signed during a sale of timeshare."

Look very closely at your copy of the contract you signed. See if there is any other address to which you should send your rescission letter. It looks like ResortCom must be the company that bills & receives the maintenance fees.

MartinN

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I looked up the address it looks like it is the office address of ResortCom. But in reading reviews of the business there was a response to one poster from ResortCom that said this: "ResortCom is a financial services company, and has nothing to do with the process of selling timeshare or with contracts signed during a sale of timeshare."

Look very closely at your copy of the contract you signed. See if there is any other address to which you should send your rescission letter. It looks like ResortCom must be the company that bills & receives the maintenance fees.
Thanks for the heads up Karen. You were correct - the Las Vegas address is not it. The cancelation address is listed in Paragraph A at the end of the agreement and it is a legal entity in Cabo San Lucas.

We will revisit time shares at a future time, somehow it felt wrong to spend the 9k at this point with other priorities we have looming on the horizon. The CC company is also aware of my intent to rescind, hopefully they will issue the refund as soon as possible. I'd rather not dispute the charges but I believe they will honor it. I really despise being ignored so I hope they respond asap.

Oh and by the way, your website, tugbbs.com, is. blocked at the resort's internet access point. If what is offered speaks for itself, then no need to block TUG. I don't think timeshares are a bad deal, just that for us right now it's too much of a stretch.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Since we are still here in Puerto Vallarta, should I go to their office and ask for a 'cancellation form' of some sort? Is anyone aware of where I can get one here on the BBS? Also my other question is, does anyone know what the mailing address is for Villa Group cancellations so I can send an additional registered letter via snail mail?

Thank you for your assistance.

Martin
Don't go to the sales office or talk with any salesman. They will just try to talk you out of your decision to rescind. You don't need any particular form--just compose a simple letter saying that your are exercising your legal right to rescind your purchase within five days according to Mexican law. Be sure everyone who signed the contract also signs the rescission letter. You could enclose a copy of the first page of the contract showing the date, your names, etc. Be sure to keep a copy of your letter and proof of mailing from the post office.

MartinN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't go to the sales office or talk with any salesman. They will just try to talk you out of your decision to rescind. You don't need any particular form--just compose a simple letter saying that your are exercising your legal right to rescind your purchase within five days according to Mexican law. Be sure everyone who signed the contract also signs the rescission letter. You could enclose a copy of the first page of the contract showing the date, your names, etc. Be sure to keep a copy of your letter and proof of mailing from the post office.
Yeah, I was tempted to go to the office and I've zero issues with saying 'no', I've kids believe me I know how to say 'no', but I don't really feel like being pitched or guilted again.

Thanks yet again.

Martin

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am one of the UVC owners here on TUG that really enjoys our Villa Del Palmar purchase.

If and when you make the decision to become an owner, you will not be disappointed. (We haven't been yet).

However...timeshares and the costs associated with them aren't the correct fit for every vacationing family. Do what is right for your budget and travel needs logically and don't second guess yourself.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation!!

MartinN

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI for all - Villa Group's rep who was there at the signing responded to my request for cancelation via email, so it's all good. It does say cancelation can be made via email or regular snail mail.

Villa Group does run an honest business. I will most definitely keep them in mind in the future when we're more prepared to fork over money for vacation rentals/timeshares. It's hard to find honest folk these days anywhere.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
FYI for all - Villa Group's rep who was there at the signing responded to my request for cancelation via email, so it's all good. It does say cancelation can be made via email or regular snail mail.

Villa Group does run an honest business. I will most definitely keep them in mind in the future when we're more prepared to fork over money for vacation rentals/timeshares. It's hard to find honest folk these days anywhere.

For peace of mind (for you ) and administrative ease for Villa - I would also send the snail mail copy , with the info Karen G listed
and a printed copy of your email . Make a copy for your records & keep mail receipt .

Enjoy the rest of your vacation in PV .
We go for 2 weeks in February - when Canada is cold

Sundowner67

Reaction score
MartinN, I also got a Villa Group timeshare recently (Cancun). I was able to cancel via email only.

My quick thoughts on VG: Body snatcher lied to us and we got charged for the gifts. Sales didn't disclose the rescission period and tried to say it wasn't valid in the follow-up call when they tried to talk me out of canceling, but I held and pointed to the clause in the contract and after that it was honored with no further issue. The resort in Cancun is very pretty, though it's off a ways from the main hotel strip. I'd read elsewhere here that buying at some of the VG sites (Groupo Caribe?) gets you access to an upcoming property that looks really amazing.

I discovered TUGBBS shortly after going through that experience. Glad you were also able to get good advice and cancel. Do what I'm doing, reading over the site and getting some research in before deciding, on my terms and at my leisure, if this is the right thing for me or not.

For comparison, I got something similar to what you did, an every-other-year 1000 point plan with the same maintenance fee. Mine was $14K so it appears you were offered a better deal for nearly the same thing. At the moment I'm inclined to think that with my travel style, the slight extra I might pay each year assembling my own vacations is balanced by none of the upfront cost, lifetime fees, and restrictions that come with timeshares. But what I gather from this site is that if you really use this a lot, then over the long haul you will break even or better. Also, there're a lot of experts on this site that say Mexican timeshares aren't the best due to resale issues and complications in transferring points to other networks, so definitely read up everything these kind folks have shared.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh and by the way, your website, tugbbs.com, is. blocked at the resort's internet access point. If what is offered speaks for itself, then no need to block TUG. I don't think timeshares are a bad deal, just that for us right now it's too much of a stretch.

Just back home from Villa del Palmar Cabo.

Both TUG and Redweek are blocked on the Villa del Palmar wi-fi access.

FYI to everyone.

Doesn't matter to me but it's a shame to miss out on a week of convos with people. Also a shame for those possibly in the rescission period and looking for advice.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a sign of desperation. LOL!

Kurt
I should have checked the other popular resale sites as well. Just for giggles. Totally slipped my mind until I got home. Only learned of Redweek because I wanted to look at possible La Estancia listings.

Guess it should harder to sell to informed buyers eh? (And keep those on the hook that already bought but are still within rescission)