• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Villa Preferred Access - exactly how bad is the buy?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I got several calls from Resortcom, to arrange shuttle from/to airport, and trying get me to buy all-inclusive (declined). Most recent call is asking me to attend a "member's update" meeting the second morning of my visit. I am worried about this. Is this another sales pitch? Is this "required" or optional? I'm also a bit worried about the guest family. Will they be pressured into a presentation on check-in? What kind of benefit should I negotiate/expect for attending member's update meeting, and what should my guest family negotiate/expect if they attend a sales pitch? Or is it best to just say no? I know if guest family attends a sales pitch, their breakfast will be free, but that's way too little bonus for the potential few hours gone.
Yes, it will be a sales pitch, and no, you're not required to attend it. In fact, I highly recommend that you DON'T attend it or let the other couple attend it either. You have only five days there--don't waste your time. Anything they'd give you for attending is not worth the aggravation.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your vacation time is precious. Do not attend an owner’s update or let your friends attend a sales presentation. If they are interested in timeshares, send them to TUG instead.

It sounds like you are going to have a great time visiting Cabo and you’ve got a lot planned. I’d avoid sport fishing for this trip, as the boats usually leave 5-6 am and you’ve got lots of other things to do.

Try Trapper’s List for restaurants. http://trapperscabolist.com/

I like to experience local culture, so I always ask people who work at the resort were they go out for dinner. I want to dine with the locals, not other tourists. To that end, I wouldn’t recommend eating at the Villa restaurants. One of my favourite family experiences is Las Gucamayas. And for a more fancy dinner, try dining at the Cascadas Grill. It’s in the timeshare on the other side of the runoff, Cascadas de Baja. They’ll set up a dinner table in the sand for you, very special. Many early evenings we walk into town along the beach, stroll around, have dinner and then take a cab back to the resort. Explore San Jose del Cabo too, which is more authentic than Cabo San Lucas.

One nice thing about Villas del Arco is its terrific location on Medano Beach. Whether or not the beach is swimmable (beach erosion, weather, tides play a factor) it is the liveliest beach around. Allow for some beach time, even if it is just walking along it. Directly next to VDA is a dry riverbed/water runoff area from the local mountains. This turns into the local’s area of the beach and can get crowded on the weekends. Local families come here to use the beach and you’ll find various vendors selling tours and such from this site. As you walk along the beach this way you’ll pass by other timeshares and beach restaurants. It’s a pleasant walk to the marina along the beach and there are ample places to stop (and shop) if you’re into what the beach vendors are selling.

You can negotiate that water taxi ride right from the beach. There are so many vendors vying for your business that if you don’t like the terms one is offering, move on to the next. One way to get more time on Lover’s Beach is rent kayaks and paddle yourself over there and back. Very memorable for the kids.

If you’re inclined to snorkel, spend a day at Chileno Beach. It’s a family friendly beach and a stop for most snorkeling trips. Since you’ll have car, you can get yourself there. And if you’re adventurous in your car, take a trip over to the Cabo Pulmo Marine Reserve. Go to Costco and buy your own snorkel gear. The rental gear may not fit your kids. Also bring a few cheap pool toys from home for your kids to play with in the pools.

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Abigail, To answer some of your questions:
Not sure about using VDP pools, but someone posted a picture of an older child who received very serious injuries on the whale slide. I think your kids will love the pools at Arco & the ocean is just steps away. Don't know why the web cam is not showing people in the pool. It has always been well used the times we have been there. There is a shuttle that runs from Arco to Palmar about every five minutes. Very handy. La Estancia pools are not available for Arco & Palmar guests. The evening shows are all at Palmar and there is a charge if you are not buying the all inclusive (which you have already found out is very expensive--we never buy it as there are so many good restaurants in Cabo) One of our favorite restaurants in Cabo is Alcaravea which has a three course lunch special for $10.00--absolutely delicious. As others have suggested: do not go to the owner's update--especially since you are going to be there only five days. It definitely is a high pressure sales pitch. I personally like Flamingos better than Arco, but you will have a great time at Arco. We love Mexico and go at least two weeks every year. Perhaps your next trip will be to Flamingos.

Reaction score
Thanks all, message is pretty clear on saying NO to member's update meeting or timeshare sales pitch (for guest family). Is it possible I'd get poorer room choice or poorer service at check-in if I am adamant about not going for the meeting/presentation?

I'll be sure to be careful about whale slide safety at VDP. Searching online/Youtube, it does look like a pretty fast water slide, and lands into deep pool. Maybe the Arco pools already suffice for the kids... we'll see.

We also like to eat local food. Wish my Spanish was better, since some menus had no English translation when we ate at some local markets in Cancun last year. Thanks for all the restaurant tips.

itchyfeet, Flamingos is near Puerto Vallarta, right? We wanted to visit Cabo this time, but Puerto Vallarta is probably next year's destination, will look into Flamingo then. It seems there are 4 choices for PV (based on my VPA Club Caribe book): Villa del Mar Puerto Vallarta, Villa del Palmar Puerto Vallarta, Villa del Palmar Flamingo Riviera Nayarit (slightly north of PV), Garza Blanca Puerto Vallarta. It's probably early to ask now, but I wonder which might be best for 2 adults and 2 kids (girls by then ages 8 and 10)?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thanks all, message is pretty clear on saying NO to member's update meeting or timeshare sales pitch (for guest family). Is it possible I'd get poorer room choice or poorer service at check-in if I am adamant about not going for the meeting/presentation?
Usually the person at the front desk who assigns your room is not the person who tries to get you to sign up for the presentation. They may direct you to another person to pick up a guest packet or drink coupon or some other bogus attempt to get you to connect with the one who tries to sign you up. Just keep walking, gather your stuff, get your kids, whatever you need to do, and don't engage in any conversations with those people. If you must, just tell them you'll see them later and then avoid them at all costs!

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Abigail. I'm not familiar with Garza Blanca as our membership does not include this. I think it is supposed to be a very nice resort. We always stay at Flamingos as that is our favorite of the other three you mentioned. The only drawback (not for us as we always rent a car) is that Flamingos is in Nuevo Vallarta rather than Puerto Vallarta. Since school vacation time is in high demand, I suggest you make your reservation for next year ASAP. Also, if you join TUG, you will have access to reviews of all the resorts you mentioned. Trip Adviser reviews are also a good resource. As Karen mentioned it is the concierge who will try to get you to go to the "owner's update". They get a commission for every person who attends the update so of course they will push hard to get you to go. You will be directed to the concierge after you check in. You will want to pick up your welcome packet from her because there is a lot of useful information in the packet. Just say no to the owner's update. You have a really good excuse since you are going to be there for only five days. Just a point of info: the restaurant I mentioned in previous post (Alcaravea) is a gourmet Mexican restaurant. We ate lunch there (goes to 4 PM) three times in two weeks. It was the best food we have ever had in Cabo. If you don't have time this visit, you might want to put in on your "to do" list for your next visit. Enjoly!

Bao Nguyen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Palmar
Hi, I heard from elite concierge said that there are two new properties in Cabo this year?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Villa del Mar Puerto Vallarta, Villa del Palmar Puerto Vallarta, Villa del Palmar Flamingo Riviera Nayarit (slightly north of PV), Garza Blanca Puerto Vallarta. It's probably early to ask now, but I wonder which might be best for 2 adults and 2 kids (girls by then ages 8 and 10)?

I think the kids would like Villa del Palmar Puerto Vallarta because of the pool area and the kids club. The beach is pretty contained and safe. Villa del Mar is behind Villa del Palmar. You will want the better Villa del Palmar locations regarding rooms if you go here, imo.

Flamigos is really nice with better amenities all around. Most off all, Flamigos is on Flamigos Beach which is a very long beach and much nicer than VDP PV.

Garza Blanca is south of PV and has decent snorkeling in the area. The high way separates the ocean front sections from the uphill sections. It is in more of a jungle setting so you need repellent. I know there are mosquitos here but I'm not certain they are the ones with Zika virus. I have only stopped by to check it out and haven't stayed here.

Bill

Blingo

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Arco
Thanks everyone. I hope my story will evolve to be like tartanwood's story... in fact, I'm going to try my first serving of "lemonade" next week!

I'm heading to Cabo, staying at Villa del Arco, with 2 studio units (one for my family, one for another family... our kids are friends), for President's day week. I managed to get this after being on waitlist and then informed of availability (some time last year). It's really 5-nights, not a complete week.

I got several calls from Resortcom, to arrange shuttle from/to airport, and trying get me to buy all-inclusive (declined). Most recent call is asking me to attend a "member's update" meeting the second morning of my visit. I am worried about this. Is this another sales pitch? Is this "required" or optional? I'm also a bit worried about the guest family. Will they be pressured into a presentation on check-in? What kind of benefit should I negotiate/expect for attending member's update meeting, and what should my guest family negotiate/expect if they attend a sales pitch? Or is it best to just say no? I know if guest family attends a sales pitch, their breakfast will be free, but that's way too little bonus for the potential few hours gone.

I'm planning to rent a car. This will settle transport between airport/hotel. It will also allow for Walmart/Costco/Mega(La Comer)/Soriana shopping runs. It will take us to Mt. Solmar if we want to hike, or Santa Maria/Chileno beaches for snorkling, or if we want to visit Todos Santos or San Jose del Cabo nearby, plus eat at nearby local restaurants, or go downtown more easily (else it's a 35+ minute walk from VDA).

We plan to save money/time at least for breakfast (stock the mini-fridge). For lunch/dinner, it is preferred to eat out (local food preferred) on days of exploration, or else eat at VDA restaurants (food there any good?), though I've been warned by the Resortcom rep trying to sell me AI that the food portions are small and expensive at VDA (hence, it's cheaper to buy AI). AI is US$550/day for both families (4-adult/3-kid), way over budgeted for food. None of us drink.

Some more questions about VDA property if anyone knows:

1. Seems VDA swimming pools might be less interesting (for kids) than VDP (with whale slide), but only recently, I found out these two properties are separated by La Estancia... so it's further than initially thought... 10-minute walk from what I read. Any issue using VDP swimming pools/towel service if living in VDA? The answer from Resortcom is mixed, sounds more like "just do it, don't ask". Elsewhere in Tripadvisor forum, someone reminded not to bring one property's towel into a different property, as they are different and immediately obvious you come from other property. I assume it's best to walk on the beach connecting VDA/VDP to go from one to another? Supposedly there's a free shuttle that goes between the two properties... if anyone has done this, was it easier to wait/ride shuttle, or just easier to make the 10-minute(?) walk each way? Shuttle comes frequent?

2. Is La Estancia off-limits, or I can visit also? I hear for kids, it is VDP > VDA > Estancia, basically, Estancia is quiet, more for adults only... so I don't think it matters... but if it is not off-limits, then I think visiting it for a bit sounds fun, if only for curiosity/novelty, and seems like it's sitting in-between VDA and VDP anyway. Can we use the pools there in Estancia too?

3. Kids are 7, 8, and 9 year olds. 7-year old is tiny (35 lb, 1-percentile). They all love playing in water, so the swimming pools will be one attraction. Wonder if the water is too cold or not though. I'm surprised to always see the pools (at VDA) seemingly unoccupied, in the live webcam, https://www.cabovillas.com/campage.asp?id=8. Isn't it already peak winter season, why am I seeing the pools mostly empty whenever I check the live webcam... kids would prefer other families/kids also around pool and can make friends, etc. (which happened in Villa del Palmar Cancun last year early May).

4. We enjoyed the night shows at Villa del Palmar in Cancun last year. These were 9:00 p.m., dancing/music, with stage set up next to pools. Seems like anyone can watch it. But Resortcom is telling me (when trying to sell me AI) that the theme-nights for Villa del Palmar in Cabo has to be paid for (unless AI). Anyone knows if this is true?

Water-taxi to Land's End is a must I guess. To see a rock. :) It's a checklist item for Cabo visit (esp. first time). I wonder how it works if we want to spend a bit of time in lover's beach then? Take water-taxi to see Land's End and get dropped off at lover's beach, and then later wave-down another water-taxi to take us back (from lover's beach back to Medano beach/marina, and then walk back to VDA)?

Sports fishing seems very popular in Cabo, but none of us has done it, unsure about seasickness, and also unsure if too early for 7/8/9 year old kids (they might feel too cruel?). It's also expensive (taxes, tips, all add, and total around US$1K for the two families, on 5-hour boat ride, not yet adding the extras like drone video, etc).

One more week before travel, starting to prepare in earnest. I resolved to learn more Spanish after Cancun trip last year, but looks like that went nowhere! Try again next year.

Stay away from "Member Upgrades"! You're there to relax and enjoy yourself, not get upset and fight off vultures.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stay away from "Member Upgrades"! You're there to relax and enjoy yourself, not get upset and fight off vultures.

Good advice but many (if not, all) here on TUG realize what a "Members' Update", "Members' Upgrade", "Owners' Update", etc., all mean. Whether one wants to attend or not or feels that the "gift" offered is worth it or not is up to each person to decide for himself. Most avoid these updates/upgrades but some will attend for the freebies knowing they are not going to buy anyway.

Rosirockful

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pueblo bonito rose
So, years later what is the verdict?! Happy or Sad you got into Villa Group?

Dsee95

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
UVCI
Hello all! I’m searching for urgent help! We signed up for the membership assured that we would be able to travel to more countries then just Mexico but after doing some research it seems they possibly lied! Does anyone happen to know how long we have to pull out of the deal? They havnt given us our welcome yet call can we cancel then?

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I’m searching for urgent help! We signed up for the membership assured that we would be able to travel to more countries then just Mexico but after doing some research it seems they possibly lied! Does anyone happen to know how long we have to pull out of the deal? They havnt given us our welcome yet call can we cancel then?
I believe it's 5 days in Mexico. Check your paperwork

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

You would need to join an exchange company to travel to other resorts other than what you own. You do have time to cancel this. Write a letter saying you are canceling your contract. You don't need to explain why. Just a short, We are " your names". We are canceling this contract on Friday April 12, 2024. I expect all deposits refunded immediately. Then anyone that signed the contract must sign the letter.

You may get different opinions on delivery with many saying do not go back to sales with the letter as they might talk you out of canceling. My opinion is only one person needs to deliver this to the sales manager. You could also email this cancellation to sales or whatever email is provided on the contract. The email gives a time stamp. You can also mail it. To me it's easier to email and go to sales to give them the cancellation notice and ask for a receipt of your cancellation letter.

Bill

Dsee95

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
UVCI
Hi bill this is great advise I appreciate deeply. The only issue we have is we are leaving Mexico today so I don’t think I will be able to deliver a letter. I need to read through the contract tonight and find out if they accept a email.

Dsee95

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
UVCI
So looks like we have 5 buisness days from the date of signing. After reading the agreement we can go in person or mail or email. So we will be doing both email and mail just to assure everything goes well. I highly recommend this website for new people looking into time shares. After just a few hours reading on this forum I was able to get pretty much all the info we needed. The resort and the deal doesn’t appear to be to bad the problem is the exchange agency has a 1.5 star on the BBB and almost every review is absolutely terrible!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In Mexico Saturday is a Business Day. Sunday is not.

Dsee95

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
UVCI
We spoke with our company lawyer (Mexican company) he did not mention this. He did mention the 5 days doesn’t start till the day after signing. Either way we will do today but I’m not sure Saturday is a buisness day in Mexico.

Dsee95

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
UVCI
In Mexico Saturday is a Business Day. Sunday is not.
We spoke with our company lawyer (Mexican company) he did not mention this. He did mention the 5 days doesn’t start till the day after signing. Either way we will do today but I’m not sure Saturday is a buisness day in Mexico.