• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Vistana] Buying for [StarOptions] only

dokken88

Reaction score
Looking at unit in the Bella phase..67k SOs. Seller says if I want to use SOs this year and bank any leftovers would have to be done deal by July 1st.(not going to happen).
Semi overwhelmed. I also have option of waiting until sale is done and trying to use all SOs this year. Everyplace I would want to go has 44k SOs value.
The seller is giving option to pay MFs this year for use of 67k SOs. Seems to me if I go that route will loose extra SOs?
Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It costs $99 to bank the Staroptions. If it were me, I wouldn't bother to bank 23 Staroptions, which is a tiny amount. Can you just start your ownership in 2019 instead? That would be my choice.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I agree with Denise. I would pass on this year's use. If use year was free, then I would just take it, but having to pay the 2018 fees in order to get the use that you can't fully use, I simply wouldn't bother. However, I would still be willing to bank 23,000 StarOptions if it ever happened that I was left with that many in a use year.

dokken88

Reaction score
It costs $99 to bank the Staroptions. If it were me, I wouldn't bother to bank 23 Staroptions, which is a tiny amount. Can you just start your ownership in 2019 instead? That would be my choice.
If I buy a unit this year dont you have to bank SOs by July 1st? Actually 23k SOs added to my 67K for next year would get me 2 weeks at my desired property.
The seller made it sound like I had until July 1st to bank. If I am correct any banked SOs do not " travel with the sale of the unit"?
Thanks as always!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If I buy a unit this year dont you have to bank SOs by July 1st? Actually 23k SOs added to my 67K for next year would get me 2 weeks at my desired property.
The seller made it sound like I had until July 1st to bank. If I am correct any banked SOs do not " travel with the sale of the unit"?
Thanks as always!
Correct, you must bank before July 1st. You are also correct that banked SOs do not transfer with the sale of the unit.

IMO, 23,000 SOs is worthwhile to bank. That can several nights to even a week somewhere.

dokken88

Reaction score
Correct, you must bank before July 1st. You are also correct that banked SOs do not transfer with the sale of the unit.

IMO, 23,000 SOs is worthwhile to bank. That can several nights to even a week somewhere.
Thanks for reply. Looks as if no way I will be able to close in time to bank. I have another question- Are you able to use SOs for lets say 10 nights. Say its a 44k property and I have 67k SOs. Can I book a week and then a few extra days?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for reply. Looks as if no way I will be able to close in time to bank. I have another question- Are you able to use SOs for lets say 10 nights. Say its a 44k property and I have 67k SOs. Can I book a week and then a few extra days?
Yes you can book an SO reservation for any length of stay starting at 8 months from checkin. If you are using the home resort week, you could book that at 12 months and then add additional days at 8 months. There is no guaranty you will be able to stay in the same unit for the duration of your stay. You can also wait until 8 months and book the entire stay as one reservation and have that guaranty. Of course, if it is a popular resort or dates, there is no guaranty that it will still all be available at 8 months.

dokken88

Reaction score
Luckily I travel in the lowest of the low seasons! All of my reservations will be at 8 month mark. So if I understand correctly I can book a full week and if I have leftover SOs can tag on extra days? Im guessing they assign a value of SOs for additional days?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Luckily I travel in the lowest of the low seasons! All of my reservations will be at 8 month mark. So if I understand correctly I can book a full week and if I have leftover SOs can tag on extra days? Im guessing they assign a value of SOs for additional days?
You won't need to book a full week and then tag additional days on. Just book the 8, 9, 10, etc night reservation from the get go. SO reservations are nightly, you can look on the SO chart to see the cost per night of a resort for the weeks you would travel. They show a weekly amount too, more just so you know the total cost for 7 nights, but you aren't required to make a 7 night reservation at all.

dokken88

Reaction score
Perfect! To think after all my research..STILL LEARNING!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just to clarify: Vistana will not allow you to add days to a current reservation. You would end up with a 7 night reservation + a separate reservation for additional nights - likely to be in a different unit. So as stated above, the safest way to book an extended stay is to book all of the nights on one reservation at 8 mos.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Just to clarify: Vistana will not allow you to add days to a current reservation. You would end up with a 7 night reservation + a separate reservation for additional nights - likely to be in a different unit. So as stated above, the safest way to book an extended stay is to book all of the nights on one reservation at 8 mos.

What if you just booked extra nights with Westin directly, say? Let's say you take the 7 nights you have points for, then pay for the extra nights? I was at Nanea a couple of weeks ago (for 7 nights), and was thinking about staying 4 more nights, but ended up at the Fairmont Kea Lani instead (has 2 free nights there)... but what's the big deal about changing units? I would imagine they'd try and keep you in the same place when you got to the property....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is no guarantee that you will be in the same unit and you can’t find out until check-in. Also, it’s very expensive to rent from the resort.

Big deal about changing units:

-With a timeshare stay you often have more to move - like groceries.

-You will be out of your timeshare from 10 am to 4 pm when you can check-in for the next unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
There is no guarantee that you will be in the same unit and you can’t find out until check-in. Also, it’s very expensive to rent from the resort.

Big deal about changing units:

-With a timeshare stay you often have more to move - like groceries.

-You will be out of your timeshare from 10 am to 4 pm when you can check-in for the next unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've had back-to-back reservations several times.
  • Three of the times, we stayed in the same villa and that was confirmed the evening before checkout.
  • Twice we had to change villas at WKORV-North but went directly from one villa to another villa.
  • Once we changed villas going from WKORV-North to WKORV and also went directly from one villa to another.
  • This past March we changed from Nanea to WKORV-North and it was a terrible move. I don't even want to think about it. We were in a villa but without any luggage or groceries for about three hours.
I imagine being 4*- or 5*-Elite helped in these situations.