• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana Flex

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
When making reservations through II using Options. Is there a stay four nights get fifth night free like with using Starpoints?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
No; you're actually making the reservations through Vistana using StarOptions -- a completely separate system which does not have the fifth night free feature.

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
No; you're actually making the reservations through Vistana using StarOptions -- a completely separate system which does not have the fifth night free feature.
Thanks

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought into Flex and want to know as much as possible in case I need to cancel. I have have 81,000 Options from deeded property at Sheraton Vistana resort. I purchased 20,700 Pptions for $8,050 to take advantage of Flex. What are the pros and cons? Even after spending 5 hours with salesman I’ Not sure I made a wise purchase. Any feedback is very welcome. I have VIP Gold status with Wyndham already.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Last edited:

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I really thought I was leveraging my initial investment in timeshare by joining Flex. 81,000 Options for $1000? Would you mind explaining how?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The first thing you do is rescind.

Then, if you want to find 81000 StarOptions cheap, try eBay. Here is a recent auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/81000-STAR-OPTIONS-SHERATON-VISTANA-VILLAGES-KEY-WEST-ORLANDO-FLORIDA-TIMESHARE/222730924232?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Finding the auctions is a matter of the correct search terms.

But be careful; read the stickies -- start here: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-to-timesharing-or-starwood-start-here.63224/.

Only two phases phases of Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West) have transferrable StarOptions. And you want to buy the highest season; it is the most cost/effective. Educate yourself before you bid.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Would you mind explaining how?
You buy them on the resale market.

And you want to buy the highest season; it is the most cost/effective.
- This is really important: The maintenance fee is the same for low season and high season, but you get a lot more Staroptions with a high season deed.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
There are no pros to buying 20,000 flex options retail for $8000. There are almost no pros to buying 20,000 or even 81,000 flex options for $1 resale. If you are looking for 1 or maybe 2 nights in Steamboat during ski season than maybe paying $1 for flex options would make sense.

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are no pros to buying 20,000 flex options retail for $8000. There are almost no pros to buying 20,000 or even 81,000 flex options for $1 resale. If you are looking for 1 or maybe 2 nights in Steamboat during ski season than maybe paying $1 for flex options would make sense.

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I really appreciate straight talk.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Thanks so much! I really thought I was leveraging my initial investment in timeshare by joining Flex. 81,000 Options for $1000? Would you mind explaining how?

You can buy a platinum Vistana village (Bella or key West) 2 bedroom worth 81k SO’s on the resale market for under $1000 for sure. Then you would have double the SO’s, roughly same maintenance. $1k is even on the high side, I’ve seen at that amount it includes a free use year.

Last edited:

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. But how “roughly the same maintenance”? Wouldn’t I have twice the maintenance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can buy a platinum Vistana village (Bella or key West) 2 bedroom worth 81k SO’s on the resale market for under $1000 for sure. Then you would have double the SO’s, roughly same maintenance. $1k is even on the high side, I’ve seen at that amount it includes a free use year.

Also, what is a “platinum” 2 bedroom? And if I buy one, does that mean that my previous deeded 2 bedroom at Sheraton Vistana resort now enters the Flex system? (Which is really why I purchased more Options yesterday).

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score

Your post really got to me. So you’re saying stay away from Flex altogether? I have to ask why so I have a better grasp of the “con” side of things. Thank in advance.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Flex options have little to no resale value because the Star Option component part of the Flex Options do not transfer on resale. So a FLEX resale buyer is limited to booking at the 5 or 6 Sheraton properties. In addition, 20K Flex Options get you only 1 or 2 nights.

Mandatory resorts - SVV (Bella andd Key West phases) comes with 2 seasons. You pay the same MF regardless of whether it is Platinum or Gold Season but Platinum season gives you more Star Options. A 2 BR (non-lockoff) Platinum season comes with 81K Star Options while Gold season only has 67K Star Options. 81K is enough to book a 1BR for a week in Hawaii. A 2 BR Lockoff Platinum season comes with 95.7K Star Options while a Gold season week has 81K Star Options. 2 BR Lockoff maintenance fees are higher than a 2BR non-Lockoff week. For a platinum week, either 2BR or 2BR lockoff, costs around 1K to 2K to buy in the resale market.

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great post. Now I think I know why I can’t get a decent vacation through II with my current deeded property is a not as valuable as I thought it was (39th week at Vistana resort). I thought that if I bought 20K more options I could use those 81 K options in the Flex system. Is that not true. (I know this is a different point than the resale issue.)

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flex options have little to no resale value because the Star Option component part of the Flex Options do not transfer on resale. So a FLEX resale buyer is limited to booking at the 5 or 6 Sheraton properties. In addition, 20K Flex Options get you only 1 or 2 nights.

Mandatory resorts - SVV (Bella andd Key West phases) comes with 2 seasons. You pay the same MF regardless of whether it is Platinum or Gold Season but Platinum season gives you more Star Options. A 2 BR (non-lockoff) Platinum season comes with 81K Star Options while Gold season only has 67K Star Options. 81K is enough to book a 1BR for a week in Hawaii. A 2 BR Lockoff Platinum season comes with 95.7K Star Options while a Gold season week has 81K Star Options. 2 BR Lockoff maintenance fees are higher than a 2BR non-Lockoff week. For a platinum week, either 2BR or 2BR lockoff, costs around 1K to 2K to buy in the resale market.

If I understand correctly the “mandatory resorts” you describe DO come with Flex options while my new purchase of 20K Flex Options DO NOT? Let me rephrase. What is the “Star Option component part of the Flex Options”?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly the “mandatory resorts” you describe DO come with Flex options while my new purchase of 20K Flex Options DO NOT? Let me rephrase. What is the “Star Option component part of the Flex Options”?

Flex Options is a new product that Vistana is currently selling. It comes with 2 components. First component which does transfer with resale, is the ability to book at 5 or 6 Sheraton properties at 12 months out. They are not highly sought after resorts except Sheraton Steamboat during ski season. The second component which disappears when Flex Options are resold, is the ability to book at other Vistana resorts within the internal booking system, which is also known as Star option booking. Flex Options are classified as voluntary because it loses the Star Option component when resold, and as such it becomes a liability to own one, making it worse than worthless for most people, unless one likes to go to the 5 to 6 properties that can be booked using Flex Options.

There are 5 Vistana properties that keep the Star optiion compenent on resale, and are called mandatory resorts. These resorts can book any of the Vistana properties at 8 months out, in addition to the timeshare of the underlying deed at 12 months.

You ought to familiarise with Vistana system with resource links under the Vistana sub-forum.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to rescind now.

Regarding your other deeded timeshare, I think you mentioned that it comes with 81K Star Options. You can use it to book Vistana resorts for no additional cost. Also, booking within the system is far less painful than trading through II.

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to rescind now.

Regarding your other deeded timeshare, I think you mentioned that it comes with 81K Star Options. You can use it to book Vistana resorts for no additional cost. Also, booking within the system is far less painful than trading through II.

This is very important to us. We bought 20K additional Flex Options because this would put us in the Flex system, including the 81K Options we already own. This would enable us to use a total of 101 K Options through the Flex system. If that is not true, then there is no reason for us to purchase the 20K Flex Options.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can pay 1K to 2K in the resale market to obtain 81K to 95.7K Star Options. FLEX options are a liability. Do rescind your purchase. You can give away what you own if you are concerned with 2 Maintenance Fees.

Having said that, I have no issues exchanging in II. It just needs more work than through an internal booking system. Even with owning Star Options, you also must be diligent in booking exactly at 8 months out, which is the night before, at 9pm Pacific Time or 12:00 am Eastern time.

Last edited: