• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana Flex

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
This is very important to us. We bought 20K additional Flex Options because this would put us in the Flex system, including the 81K Options we already own. This would enable us to use a total of 101 K Options through the Flex system. If that is not true, then there is no reason for us to purchase the 20K Flex Options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Your 20k in Flex Options lets you book 20k 12-8 months in advance. You would have to wait until 8 months to book within the flex home group for your 81k. Unless you turned in your 81k Vistana and were then given 101k flex options, the two would remain separate.

Just curious what part of the flex program were you most interested? Almost all of the resorts in the program are easy to book at 8 months so no reason to own flex options.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your 20k in Flex Options lets you book 20k 12-8 months in advance. You would have to wait until 8 months to book within the flex home group for your 81k. Unless you turned in your 81k Vistana and were then given 101k flex options, the two would remain separate.

Just curious what part of the flex program were you most interested? Almost all of the resorts in the program are easy to book at 8 months so no reason to own flex options.
It looks like OP was offered to retro the Vistana week. At 8 months 101K will be eligible for Star Option reservations.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
corrected in next post

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
. Retro means allowing a non SVN week into SVN. A deed back and reissues flex would be what they would need to use all for Flex. As you said they would be would be eligible for Star option reservations at 8 months.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's not what retro means. Retro means allowing a non SVN week into SVN. A deed back and reissues flex would be what they would need to use all for Flex.
OP owned a SVR week which was not in SVN. I know what retro is. OP was offered to retro his week with a small Flex package.

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score

We thought we would maximize our current 81K Options (based on our 2 bedroom Vistana ownership). Are you saying we would not benefit from the Flex system by buying 20K Flex Options?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OP owned a SVR week which was not in SVN. I know what retro is. OP was offered to retro his week with a small Flex package.
sorry I was on chat with RCI trying to fix the account and it didn't go through. The OP mentions he wants to use the whole thing with Flex not with SVN. If the goal is just to have 101,000 to use with SVN then it might possibly make sense although trying to dump what he has and buy mandatory would be less expensive.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
sorry I was on chat with RCI trying to fix the account and it didn't go through. The OP mentions he wants to use the whole thing with Flex not with SVN. If the goal is just to have 101,000 to use with SVN then it might possibly make sense although trying to dump what he has and buy mandatory would be less expensive.
OP does not have an understanding of what is Flex Options vs. Star Options.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We thought we would maximize our current 81K Options (based on our 2 bedroom Vistana ownership). Are you saying we would not benefit from the Flex system by buying 20K Flex Options?

You said having 81K Star Options for your SVR is important. I want to confirm that if you did not buy 20K Flex Options, your SVR week does not have 81k Star Option. Is that correct?

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I meant is that the issue is important to us. We only bought the 20K Flex Options because we thought it meant our 81K Star Options at SVR would have much greater flexibility in the whole system of SVR reservation including—this is crucial—exchanging through II. The example I gave the salesman was trying to reserve at Marriott Ko Olina in Hawaii. I have not been able to use a deposit of our SVR property to reserve at Ko Olina. He said it was because we owned a red week and II would not show us availability. If we owned Flex Options the whole year at Ko Olina would be available. He pointed to a chart that showed us 6000 Options a night midweek. He said joining Flex system would allow us to access such a unit at a desirable time of the year. So—yes, our current SVR does have Star Options. We thought that buying 20K Flex Options meant much more value through II. I have now concluded that this is not at all true.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Total BS. Owning a million Flex Options still does not get you access to Marriott Ko Olina any easier. Marriott has a block for the first 24 days after Marriott deposits into II and during this period other Marriott timeshare owners get to trade first. If there are leftovers after the 24 days window, then other timeshares can see the weeks. If you want Marriott Ko Olina, you either own it there or buy a Marriott trader.

Flex Options have access to Sheraton Desert Oasis, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Sheraton Vistana Resorts, Sheraton Vistana Villages, one of the other Sheraton Florida location, and Sheraton Steamboat Springs. Other than booking at those places at those places for 1 or 2 nights, it does not offer you additional access in II that you are looking for.

Last edited:

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to rescind now.

Regarding your other deeded timeshare, I think you mentioned that it comes with 81K Star Options. You can use it to book Vistana resorts for no additional cost. Also, booking within the system is far less painful than trading through II.

I love your directness. Total BS is exactly right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love your directness. Total BS is exactly right.

Thank you. Time is of the essence.. rescind while it is still within the rescission window.

BTW, I own at Vistana, with Star Options. About 4 to 5 years ago, I bought 2 weeks of Marriott timeshare so that I could trade into Ko Olina. We traded into Ko Olina 3BR for 2 consecutive weeks in March 2017 and 2 weeks of 2BR in Dec 2015.

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lucky you. We are going to stay at Ko Olina for 5 nights in February using Marriott points. It will be a hotel room but I hope it will be fine for a short stay. After that we will stay 2 weeks on Kauai at Wyndham timeshare in 2 bedroom. I’ve never been to Hawaii. I just sent a rescission letter in the message window on Vistana website. They promise a response in 48 hours.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lucky you. We are going to stay at Ko Olina for 5 nights in February using Marriott points. It will be a hotel room but I hope it will be fine for a short stay. After that we will stay 2 weeks on Kauai at Wyndham timeshare in 2 bedroom. I’ve never been to Hawaii. I just sent a rescission letter in the message window on Vistana website. They promise a response in 48 hours.

You MUST follow rescind instructions on your contract - using USPS letter with tracking (certified etc) with time stamp within the recission window. Doing it any other way will not get your out of the contract.

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to rescind now.

Regarding your other deeded timeshare, I think you mentioned that it comes with 81K Star Options. You can use it to book Vistana resorts for no additional cost. Also, booking within the system is far less painful than trading through II.

My contract only says “in writing” giving the address. I was hoping either a fax or email with attachment would work. I have a car so I can get to a post office if I have to.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My contract only says “in writing” giving the address. I was hoping either a fax or email with attachment would work. I have a car so I can get to a post office if I have to.

In writing means through USPS, with time stamp. Time stamp and proof of mailing it is critical. Since the organization is so large, you must address it to the department and address exactly as it is stated in the contract.

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense. I can use the resort computer to print the letter. Thanks.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK. I’ll do both.

All the best. In the meantime, stick around TUG and read more about Vistana, Marriott, Exchanging sub-forums. Your Sheraton Vistana Resort is just fine in terms of trading power. You just need to learn the ins and outs of exchanging and various timeshare systems' unique rules.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Last edited:

gwberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the best. In the meantime, stick around TUG and read more about Vistana, Marriott, Exchanging sub-forums. Your Sheraton Vistana Resort is just fine in terms of trading power. You just need to learn the ins and outs of exchanging and various timeshare systems' unique rules.

I will, definitely.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
As for 81,000 StarOption SVV weeks. I haven't seen any of those selling for under $1000 lately. All the ones I have seen as completed auctions on eBay have been over $1500. It seems that us talking about them here on TUG has driven the prices up.

As for Ko'Olina. If you want to go there, especially inb a 2BR, you really need to buy a Marriott trader or buy there. A lot also depends on the season when you want to go. If you want to go in the summer or winter, you really need to own at Ko'Olina. If you can travel in the off or shoulder season, then a Marriott trader will do. We are staying at Ko'Olina this week in a 2BR by trading in with one of our Orlando Marriott gold weeks. These can usually be bought for less than $2000 and are fairly flexible traders.

Great advice provided about SHeraton Flex. A really bad product for most when resale mandatory resorts are available relatively cheap.