• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana v Orange Lake for Exchange

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Given the choice, which resort would you prefer to stay at with 5 year old kids? Why? I have a 2 bedroom 8/6 unit on hold at Vistana? Do both bedroom have queen or larger beds? Is there a pull-out couch in the living room? Thanks.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Given the choice, which resort would you prefer to stay at with 5 year old kids? Why? I have a 2 bedroom 8/6 unit on hold at Vistana? Do both bedroom have queen or larger beds? Is there a pull-out couch in the living room? Thanks.

At Vistana, we had two full-size beds in the bedroom and a pullout couch in the living room.

As for picking the resort, the room we had at Vistana was more updated, while Orange Lake was a bit dated. This was a couple of years ago when we visited Orange Lake, so by now they may have renovated. I don't know.

Both resorts are large and sprawling, but Orange Lake is much, much bigger and has a ton of pools to visit.

I found driving a bit easier from Vistana as there is more traffic around Orange Lake and you are closer to Animal Kingdom, which is the most distant Disney park.

It you plan to spend a lot of time at the resort, I might pick Orange Lake for its bonanza of various pools. If you are spending more time at the parks, I would likely pick Vistana.

Our favorite resort is Wyndham Bonnet Creek, which has the best location of any non-Disney timeshare and great views.

Either way, you will be fine. These resorts cater to families just like yours.

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much. We decided to go with Orange Lake. It was hard to choose. So many similarities. At one point HGV
Seaworld was in the mix but we went with OL.

At Vistana, we had two full-size beds in the bedroom and a pullout couch in the living room.

As for picking the resort, the room we had at Vistana was more updated, while Orange Lake was a bit dated. This was a couple of years ago when we visited Orange Lake, so by now they may have renovated. I don't know.

Both resorts are large and sprawling, but Orange Lake is much, much bigger and has a ton of pools to visit.

I found driving a bit easier from Vistana as there is more traffic around Orange Lake and you are closer to Animal Kingdom, which is the most distant Disney park.

It you plan to spend a lot of time at the resort, I might pick Orange Lake for its bonanza of various pools. If you are spending more time at the parks, I would likely pick Vistana.

Our favorite resort is Wyndham Bonnet Creek, which has the best location of any non-Disney timeshare and great views.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
If you are going at a busy time of year, the drive from Orange Lake will take significantly longer to the Disney parks. The traffic light to turn left on 192 seems to take forever. I would have suggested Vistana, but you will be fine at Orange Lake. Just be prepared to drive around the resort. Also the section you are in will make a difference. My kids called the houses "ticky tacky houses".

Sheila

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We are owners at Orange Lake, so think you made the right choice.

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What section is that? We are in the West section. Thanks.

Danielle

If you are going at a busy time of year, the drive from Orange Lake will take significantly longer to the Disney parks. The traffic light to turn left on 192 seems to take forever. I would have suggested Vistana, but you will be fine at Orange Lake. Just be prepared to drive around the resort. Also the section you are in will make a difference. My kids called the houses "ticky tacky houses".

Sheila

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. Now I'm thinking about switching! I'd rather be closer to teh parks. Don't want to lose that exchaneg feethough. ugh.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
With so many great resorts around Disney, its easy to start second-guessing your decision, but there is nothing wrong with your choice. Have a great trip!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Thanks for your thoughts. Now I'm thinking about switching! I'd rather be closer to teh parks. Don't want to lose that exchaneg feethough. ugh.
Is HGVC Seaworld still a possibility? If so, that one wins over either Vistana or OL in my opinion. Very easy to get to Disney, Universal and (of course) Seaworld from that location, and the rooms and pools are great.

Kurt

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going at a busy time of year, the drive from Orange Lake will take significantly longer to the Disney parks. The traffic light to turn left on 192 seems to take forever.

I would not turn left on 192 to go to the Disney parks. Take the toll road (429?) 1 exit north to Western Way. Within a few short miles you are on Disney property. Worth every cent to avoid 192 east.

Reaction score
With OL, West Village are basically houses, most built in the 1980s (but interiors have been renovated). River Island and East/North Villages are multi-story buildings. Don’t worry about driving around the resort, they have a shuttle that goes everywhere. You would only need a car if you’re leaving the resort.

TS

jl2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove At Yarmouth
At Orange Lake, just be prepared to pay $10 a day/$70 a week per tube to use their lazy river. You are not allowed in the lazy river without one and I believe you are not allowed to bring your own. Those were the costs as of 2016 I and depending on where you stay onsite, it can be a long walk to the pool area. That resort is really spread out.

If you do switch, Wyndham Bonnet Creek will give you 2 lazy rivers as well and 5 pools, 9 hot tubs, multiple restaurants on site, a couple waterslides -one themed as a shipwrecked pirate ship, mini golf etc, and it's within the Disney gates. Great resort, and they don't money grab. Tubes at their lazy rivers are free.

I have also stayed at Vistana Villages. That's a great place too. No lazy rivers, but very nice.

Last edited:

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
At Orange Lake, just be prepared to pay $10 a day/$70 a week per tube to use their lazy river. You are not allowed in the lazy river without one and I believe you are not allowed to bring your own. Those were the costs as of 2016 I and depending on where you stay onsite, it can be a long walk to the pool area. That resort is really spread out.

If you do switch, Wyndham Bonnet Creek will give you 2 lazy rivers as well and 5 pools, 9 hot tubs, multiple restaurants on site, a couple waterslides -one themed as a shipwrecked pirate ship, mini golf etc, and it's within the Disney gates. Great resort, and they don't money grab. Tubes at their lazy rivers are free.

I have also stayed at Vistana Villages. That's a great place too. No lazy rivers, but very nice.

You can still go into the lazy river but cant use the tubes without paying.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You can still go into the lazy river but cant use the tubes without paying.
And sometimes there are those who have a weeks worth of arm bands that are leaving and haven't used them all who will donate them to those in need. HICV owners staying in the signature units get arm bands for the week included and some get them because they took the dreaded update. Last time we stayed a nice family who was checking out the next day gave us 2 days worth of bands when they saw us with our sons enjoying the lazy river without tubes.