• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Want to join the party but not sure it makes any sense for us.

Reaction score
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where? Las Vegas, New York City, Boston.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? Yes - "half and half".

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Las Vegas, New York City, Boston. San Antonio.

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself? 2

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? Very flexible.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? Yes, but strongly prefer not to plan so far in advance.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Yes, but prefer 5 day stays.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 4

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? $2,500

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $1,000

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Yes.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes. This is a major deterrent.

I read here about all the fun and travel...resorts...luxurious suites etc with every amenity. But I think I have concluded that booking hotel suites/rooms makes the most sense for us.

I love the thought of an included breakfast. The last thing I want to do when I arrive at my destination is go grocery shopping and stock a kitchen. Going down to the lobby for a free breakfast really gets me excited. I also like the idea of a light supper snack and drinks in the evening. Now, I only have 1 meal out to plan for and enjoy! Unfortunately, this preference doesn't fit with timeshare travel. No desire to shop for groceries, plan meals, cook, and clean up and then figure out what to do with leftovers before I check out. Throwing away unused condiments and other staples prior to checkout doesn't sit well with me. In my target cities, I see Hilton Midtown offers a $30 fee for free wifi and breakfast. Embassy Suites (Hilton) in Las Vegas includes both breakfast and evening snack with the room rate, well under $150 night.

I like to take my dog with me on road trips when not traveling in the RV. (Most of our travel is in the RV). Some of my favorite hotel and suite chains accept pets with no questions asked. (There is sometimes an extra fee). Red Roof Inn, Motel 6, Drury Inn and Suities etc. All pet friendly, and as long as the room is clean, it is all I need or want.

I do not like to fly. Once a year to NY or LV is about all I care to do.

I can see for folks who don't have an RV or other place to vacation, the beachfront resorts would be a real attraction. We do a lot of camping and spend a lot of time in beautiful places.
We have access to a leased family cabin 1x a year on Lake Superior which gives us our "water fix". I'm primarily interested in supplementing our vacations with urban locations like New York or Las Vegas where the RV is not a good fit.

I do like the upscale look and feel and great reviews of some of the top Las Vegas timeshares. Marriott Chateau and HGVC on the boulevard both look very good to me. (In the past we have stayed primarily in the Golden Nugget. We've outgrown standard motel rooms and they don't offer anything extra. Their pool area is very small and crowded. And they've added a resort fee. They have also closed their coffee shop and now have an upscale restaurant in it's place).

I'll continue to read and learn here and am open to feedback. I'm open to buying a week in Vegas as that is one of my favorite destinations and I would look forward to a suite. But I'm stuck on "renting is better than buying" at this point, especially when I see the Embassy Suites at Convention Center with the free meals and low price point.

I'm not looking for the cheapest. Timesharing seems very complicated with all the points and different systems, colors of weeks, etc etc etc. I love the simplicity of booking a suite at the Embassy Suites in Vegas, as an example, for about $750 knowing that is IT! And I can wake up every morning to the smell of fresh coffee!! That someone else has made for me!!

I also like the idea of some level of service (fresh towels, empty trash, don't need beds made up) in a hotel. My understanding is that most timeshares have no service until after checkout.

Thanks for listening.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that your desires don't seem to be a good fit for timeshare.

Maybe try renting a week at one of the Vegas resorts you've mentioned and see how you like staying there?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Todd, I don' think timeshare is a good fit for you
1) Vegas OK. NYC and Boston- not so much.
2) If the half is Vegas, OK but refer to #1
3) refer to #1
4)OK
5)OK
6)&7) Meh
8) Don't we all
9)Do-able
10)Not do-able for 4+**** digs except shoulder season in 1 BR
11)&12)OK.
The vast majority or TSs are no pets, and Few-if any have daily breakfast. Or daily maid service.
Todd, you might be better off at Embassy Suites. No buy-in and you can stay as long as you want.
Thanks for your interest in TS, but I don't think it's for you.

Jim

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
My impression is that most Tuggers own multiple weeks and love timesharing. Traveling with family and friends is fun.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Does this mean I get my $15 back?
For some it can take years to figure out what timeshare would work for them or to save additional money to buy what will work. Right now timesharing doesn’t seem a fit because of the financial numbers and because you aren’t sold yet that it would work for you.

Stick around, read a lot here on tug and you will figure it all out. In time, my suggestion would be to look into hgvc.

Reaction score
Of course I was just kidding about the $15. :cheer:
Just joined Hilton Honors and got their AMEX card. This seems like a good fit for the direction I am heading in right now. No annual fees and 80,000 points after 3 months of AMEX use. It'll be a fun place to start my travel adventures.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I would second try renting. Your plans and priorities might change one day.

If you are interested in NYC on a regular basis then buying there is likely the only guaranteed option, but not on your budget. Wyndham might work with entry costs. But Pets really knock timeshares out of the realm of possibility.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where? Las Vegas, New York City, Boston.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? Yes - "half and half".

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Las Vegas, New York City, Boston. San Antonio.

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself? 2

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? Very flexible.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? Yes, but strongly prefer not to plan so far in advance.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Yes, but prefer 5 day stays.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 4

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? $2,500

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $1,000

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Yes.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes. This is a major deterrent.

I read here about all the fun and travel...resorts...luxurious suites etc with every amenity. But I think I have concluded that booking hotel suites/rooms makes the most sense for us.

I love the thought of an included breakfast. The last thing I want to do when I arrive at my destination is go grocery shopping and stock a kitchen. Going down to the lobby for a free breakfast really gets me excited. I also like the idea of a light supper snack and drinks in the evening. Now, I only have 1 meal out to plan for and enjoy! Unfortunately, this preference doesn't fit with timeshare travel. No desire to shop for groceries, plan meals, cook, and clean up and then figure out what to do with leftovers before I check out. Throwing away unused condiments and other staples prior to checkout doesn't sit well with me. In my target cities, I see Hilton Midtown offers a $30 fee for free wifi and breakfast. Embassy Suites (Hilton) in Las Vegas includes both breakfast and evening snack with the room rate, well under $150 night.

I like to take my dog with me on road trips when not traveling in the RV. (Most of our travel is in the RV). Some of my favorite hotel and suite chains accept pets with no questions asked. (There is sometimes an extra fee). Red Roof Inn, Motel 6, Drury Inn and Suities etc. All pet friendly, and as long as the room is clean, it is all I need or want.

I do not like to fly. Once a year to NY or LV is about all I care to do.

I can see for folks who don't have an RV or other place to vacation, the beachfront resorts would be a real attraction. We do a lot of camping and spend a lot of time in beautiful places.
We have access to a leased family cabin 1x a year on Lake Superior which gives us our "water fix". I'm primarily interested in supplementing our vacations with urban locations like New York or Las Vegas where the RV is not a good fit.

I do like the upscale look and feel and great reviews of some of the top Las Vegas timeshares. Marriott Chateau and HGVC on the boulevard both look very good to me. (In the past we have stayed primarily in the Golden Nugget. We've outgrown standard motel rooms and they don't offer anything extra. Their pool area is very small and crowded. And they've added a resort fee. They have also closed their coffee shop and now have an upscale restaurant in it's place).

I'll continue to read and learn here and am open to feedback. I'm open to buying a week in Vegas as that is one of my favorite destinations and I would look forward to a suite. But I'm stuck on "renting is better than buying" at this point, especially when I see the Embassy Suites at Convention Center with the free meals and low price point.

I'm not looking for the cheapest. Timesharing seems very complicated with all the points and different systems, colors of weeks, etc etc etc. I love the simplicity of booking a suite at the Embassy Suites in Vegas, as an example, for about $750 knowing that is IT! And I can wake up every morning to the smell of fresh coffee!! That someone else has made for me!!

I also like the idea of some level of service (fresh towels, empty trash, don't need beds made up) in a hotel. My understanding is that most timeshares have no service until after checkout.

Thanks for listening.
Vegas hotels are generally inexpensive. Look into airbnb for other cities. Love like a local. If you’re visiting cities you won’t want a lobby breakfast when there are so many amazing cafes, coffee shops, bistros, etc within steps of where you’ll be staying. Plus when you go back to these cities you can pick different neighborhoods. Timesharing in large cities with the exception of HGVC and DC Pulse locations with Marriott, I’m not sure where you would want to stay. Those are the oily two you’ll be able to sell in the future. Maint fees are high for what you want though.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
As most pointed out, timesharing is probably not for you. I see the no pet policies as the main issue when deciding if a timeshare could complement how you are currently vacationing.

With regards cooking, cleaning, and no daily house keeping, I had the same issue with my wife. She did not want to vacation while having to clean and cook. However, this is a different type of vacation. We go to all-inclusive, Cruise to the Bahamas, but a timeshare is like a second home. You usually buy where you feel good going, or where it makes the most sense. You enjoy it, you clean it, and you take care of it because you own it. My wife now understands that this is just a different type of vacation, and now she plans her healthy meals ahead of time, and enjoys the stays. She has time to experiment with different recipes and ingredients when we use our timeshare. You make it work... I could keep going, so let me just give you my suggestion on what could work for you, that is close to your budget.

1. Since you like Vegas. I would recommend you look into a Westgate Elara unit (not a HGVC unit). This is a beautiful resort right behind Plant Hollywood, and basically on the Miracle Mile Mall. You can get a 2 bedroom unit for less than $500 upfront and MFs around $1100. This unit can be split into a studio and a 1 bedroom, and you can stay for two weeks, or go twice a year, if you split it. These units usually floats from week 1-52, so lots of flexibility. You can even rent the split week 52 and probably make a profit. If you join II (for a yearly fee) you can then trade (for a fee) your unit for another 2 bedroom in II, or if you split the unit, deposit the studio or 1 bedroom and trade in NY for another studio or 1b if available.

1b. If you do not want to commit to the $1100 MFs, and/or do not want to deal with splitting the 2 bedroom, you can get a 1 bedroom for around $300 and around $850 MFs, and trade in II for other locations. You can also get a partial week at Elara, with MFs around $540, but I do not know if you can trade this in II. Partial week units are basically a 3 day stay, Friday check-in I think. Or 4 day stay, Sunday Check-in.

Why the low prices? Westgate has a bad rep on how they restrict resale buyers. However, after ROFR, Westgate is out of the picture and HGVC handles billing and bookings. For some reason these Westgate Elara units got a bad rep too, but there is plenty of documentation from HGVC and the association on how to manage these units, and once you are booked, you are no different from any other paying guest or HGVC owner.

Good luck!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-BEDROOM-...946008?hash=item48d03789d8:g:AY0AAOSw9OFZJclE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Elara-LAS-...409621?hash=item56c8e18255:g:csEAAOSwkHxcNmhE

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I would recommend you look into a Westgate Elara unit (not a HGVC unit).

I disagree with this suggestion. Not only is Westgate notorious for high pressure sales and lies but they also severely restrict the use of resale buyers. The icing on the cake is that one would likely have to pay a new buyer to take it off their hands when they are done with it.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you and I like to travel in a similar way. I got rid of my timeshares. Planning far in advance usually doesn't work for me. I love having access to a full hot breakfast that I didn't cook. My timeshare stays had way too much shopping, cooking and taking out the trash.

Joining Hhonors is a good idea. I have the more expensive card, but you probably don't need that one.

There are still times when I want to stay in a timeshare. There are plenty of people here who have more than they can use and I can just rent from them when I want to stay in one.

Reaction score
If I saw a dramatic cost savings in using timeshares, I'd be more inclined to join the party. In theory, owner's would be paying less on a nightly average basis than renters. That simply doesn't seem to be the case in my target cities like Las Vegas and NYC. (I realize it may be true in resort destinations particularly for those who got in at the right time and price and into the most desirable locations.) The hotel business is so competitive now, there are so many choices. Many chains have suites. Many hotels have hot breakfasts and other amenities. I'm very happy and at peace with my decision to join Hilton Honors and get their AMEX card. I appreciate everyone's feedback here, this is such a great group. I am a tax preparer and have had clients get into timeshares, so I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't.I also think with the expansion of options such as VRBO and AirBNB, there are simply so many more options than there were 20 years ago.

Last edited: