• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WEEKS owners - FACTS/QUESTIONS - new RCI Program

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Most timesharers I know research the resorts they trade into through directory resources, these days being mainly online, and the reviews for the various resorts, rather than just what they have previously heard of. In timesharing, most of the time most people going to a new location would not know the names of resorts in that destination and would have to research them. Even if they do happen to know one or more resort names, most people research the place more thoroughly than just relying on having heard a name before. I use Allen House for London as it is much better located in central London rather than being out in the Docklands (boondocks) like Odessa Wharf. Again, location matters, as most tourists going to London want to be in central London. Again, in researching Savannah, you would find that Tybrissa on Tybee Island is the only timeshare in the immediate vacinity of Savannah. In researching Orlando, you will find a lot of resorts, and may well find something you had never heard of that suits you better than those you have heard of.

I would love to stay in a one or two bedroom in London during the summer with my family but since I don't think it is likely to happen and even if I put in a search for it I wouldn't anticipate it coming up until after other plans had been made and switching to a transatlantic vacation is different then switching to a drive to location so I don't bother to search for it most years. I think that those who do a fair amount of research also find out about the limited availability at these places and don't bother requesting them, hence as far as RCI is concerned a lot less demand. As to Tybrissa, I've seen it come up in the summer in RCI for 2011 about 18 month in advance and looked into it because I had heard it was a difficult exchange but passed as my husband likes areas with more activites in the immediate area. He also likes Hilton Head off the beach and we get in our car and do Savannah as an all day trip and always think next time we come we might priceline a hotel on the front end or back end of a HHI trip to stay within walking distance of the great pedestrian friendly areas of Savannah.

I don't love RCI but it gives me more options (at a price I'm still willing to pay) then other exchange companies but I have memberships with II (2 deposits 2 confirmed reservations), SFX (never deposited or confirmed anything yet), VRIety (no deposits, no confirmations), TPI(0,0-mostly the same inventory as VRIety, DAE (1 deposit, 0 confirmed on going search going nowhere),RCI points (8 stays and 2 upcoming confirmations) RCI weeks (3 deposits 2 exchanges so far) during the last 6 years. RCI like the other companies keeps creeping up fees to the limit that they think customers will pay (which sucks) but all the companies seem to being doing that and offering upgraded memberships for a fee for services that used to be free.

Instead of always worring about where I can't go, I look at all the places I can go and if the places meet my families needs. And I've never been to Orlando but will probably eventually go.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at 2012 week 14.
It may be too early to bank 2012. Many on this board have reported lower values for 2012 due to lower demand. Not many people (other than TUGGERS) are planning 15-24 months out. I know my weeks for 2012 are projected at lower credits that what I got for the same 2011 weeks. If you don't need to bank, wait.

irisheaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be too early to bank 2012. Many on this board have reported lower values for 2012 due to lower demand. Not many people (other than TUGGERS) are planning 15-24 months out. I know my weeks for 2012 are projected at lower credits that what I got for the same 2011 weeks. If you don't need to bank, wait.

Thanks much!

Happytravels

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
How can RCI possibly say trading power has not changed ???
I used to trade 4th of July Peregrine townhomes for MC. One week for one week.plus MC fees at checkout.

Now it takes 2 weeks combined, plus 2 maintenance fees, plus fee to combine weeks. plus exchange fees. plus MC fees at checkout. I can rent for less.
When I point this out to the "guide" she says 'You will always have access. I had access before too.
I think when my membership ends so will I.
Member since 1979.

We am in the same boat as you.......We have Memorial Day week. most years (another exchange company will give me two exchanges for this week plus the exchange fee is cheaper, there is no combining fee and no membership fee)....We have traded for Hawaii, Destin, and many other beach locations...with the TPU now doesn't look like I will be able to get there (unless I pay through the nose)....just doesn't make sense. I don't live real far from there, so I will either try another exchange company or rent out the unit or sell it...things are still a little new and I am hoping they change to the SUPPLY/DEMAND they are taking about and also LIKE FOR LIKE....(there are no other resorts in Galveston or in Freeport that are ON the beach that are in RCI...only other one is Escapes to Galveston and that is II) that just seems to not be happening with my weeks. We own four at the resort and looks like we will be going there a lot in the next few years or renting them out if possible.....

Just checked the other exchange company........they are not offering two for one on my week.. :( I can't win for loosing......guess I could go on some last minute stuff for 2 pts each...not!!

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sarah asked:
... if I own a non award resort with TP 20, can I get a Gold crown resort with TP of 20?...

And Brian replied:
The only thing that matters is the credit value of the deposit you have, and price of the one you want. Indeed, season and crown status never *really* mattered before this, either---season was a (*very*) rough indication of overall demand, and crown status measures quality, which (to hear RCI tell it) is a very small component of overall trade power.

I think this is correct when trading up in quality -- I don't think anyone has found a case where RCI prevented someone from using a low quality resort to trade into a high quality resort, assuming the low quality resort had sufficient trade power. However, there were cases under the old system where RCI prevented someone from trading down in quality. For example, there was a resort on Nantucket (or maybe it was Martha's Vineyard) that was reportedly hard to trade into, even in the off-season, because it was very basic and RCI considered it so low quality that owners of many other resorts were blocked from trading into it, regardless of their trade power.

This inability to trade down in quality was known as the "VEP filter" and was created because owners of high quality resorts often complained if they received an exchange into a low quality resort. I'm not sure if the VEP filter is still in place in the new system, or not.

In an unrelated note, I just read several hundred posts in this supposed "facts" thread and found mostly just a bunch of arguing, primarily due to one TUG member. What a waste of time! :wall:

catcher24

TUG Member
Reaction score
In an unrelated note, I just read several hundred posts in this supposed "facts" thread and found mostly just a bunch of arguing, primarily due to one TUG member. What a waste of time!

You also probably noticed that many of the other members requested that particular TUG member to stop posting opinions to the facts thread. And as you undoubtedly also noticed, that request was like talking to a brick or wall, or the little smilie: :wall: Some folks just can't seem to take a hint.:deadhorse:

HuskyJim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Facts - Where ARE the Facts??

Just where are the real facts, not opinions, discussion, arguments?

This thread is almost of no help to someone who has just begun looking into the "NEW" RCI.

Is there a good summary of the changes, and nuances of them?

Looking through 19 pages of arguments doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks!!

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just where are the real facts, not opinions, discussion, arguments?

This thread is almost of no help to someone who has just begun looking into the "NEW" RCI.

Is there a good summary of the changes, and nuances of them?

Looking through 19 pages of arguments doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks!!

If you're starting from a full stop, this might be helpful - the official RCI explanation:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136715

Main changes:

You will know ahead of your deposit how many credits your week will be worth. You can do this by using the deposit calculator in the manage deposits part of your RCI account. Plug in your unit details and it will give you the number of credits you will get on deposit.

You can combine deposits to get an exchange that you may not have had avaialble to you on a straight week to week exchange.

If your deposit has more trade power than you need for the exchange you want, you will get "change back" which can be used for another exchange or can be combined with other deposits.

You can change your search settings to see not only what your current deposits can get, but also everything in the RCI spacebank, subject to quality filters. That can help you decide if you want to combine deposits.

If you combine deposits, the new expiration date of the combined deposit is two years from the combination date. So you can effectively extend the life of your deposits.

There is a $99 fee for combining depoits.

I'm sorry if this is more basic than you were looking for and it is by no means an exhaustive list of the changes, but I believe these are some of the basic FACTS that should hopefully get you started. As you can probably guess from the length of this thread - and that's not counting the opinions thread that was started, there are some that like the new system, some that hate the new system, some that came out pretty even. And I think there are many who are just getting into it as they plan their vacations for next year!!

Bev

soon2b6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake CC - Kissimmee, FL
SIlver Sands - Durbin, SA
I'm mystified & wondering if I should use a different exchange appraoch/system other than RCI.

I always spacebank w/in a week or two of availability to acheive maximum trading power. I have my OLCC 2 Bdrm wk 50 available for deposit.

However, As I look at the trading power assigned to my week over the past 3 years it makes absolutely no sense & is now worse than ever:

2009 - 26
2010 - 33
2011 - 20!!!!!

I visited w/ the RCI folks & they say it has to do with usage or lask thereof from year to year. Not sure I'm ready to drink the "RCI tea" quite that easily.

Recommendations regarding best exchanging company/approach would be greatly appreciated.

I also have observed the same trading power fluctuations wth my SA resorts.

Thanks,

Mark

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's always been credits - now you know what they are

I'm mystified & wondering if I should use a different exchange appraoch/system other than RCI.

I always spacebank w/in a week or two of availability to acheive maximum trading power. I have my OLCC 2 Bdrm wk 50 available for deposit.

However, As I look at the trading power assigned to my week over the past 3 years it makes absolutely no sense & is now worse than ever:

2009 - 26
2010 - 33
2011 - 20!!!!!

I visited w/ the RCI folks & they say it has to do with usage or lask thereof from year to year. Not sure I'm ready to drink the "RCI tea" quite that easily.

Recommendations regarding best exchanging company/approach would be greatly appreciated.

I also have observed the same trading power fluctuations wth my SA resorts.

Thanks,

Mark

According to RCI posts the maximum value is around the 10 month out mark. Remember this was happening in the background anyway - now YOU get to see what the values are and can make an informed choice about when it is best to deposit. That is a major change and a big plus to members. Use your new power to get the most you can.

sandkastle4966

TUG Member
Reaction score
for this case - week 50 - I think in 2010, wk 50 was "closer to school vacations" than 2011 is.......

2011 is where you week up week 53....so is the "50s shift" in value....

(my best guess - I am seeing the same thing with my other weeks that surround a holiday)

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
for this case - week 50 - I think in 2010, wk 50 was "closer to school vacations" than 2011 is.......

2011 is where you week up week 53....so is the "50s shift" in value....

(my best guess - I am seeing the same thing with my other weeks that surround a holiday)
Absolutely right. I own weeks 51 and 52 in Orlando. For 2011, week 51 is about 40% of what it is in 2010 and 2012 because it is not a holiday week.

soon2b6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake CC - Kissimmee, FL
SIlver Sands - Durbin, SA
Thanks a bunch.

Based on timeos2's suggestion, I guess I should wait a couple months prior to depositing & see if power improves.

Mark

scooooter

TUG Member
Reaction score
My LORD! I just spent hours going thru all the posts in this thread and I have to ask this - why on earth is a moderator not doing anything about the back and fourth opinionated attacks??! I am a member of TUG and just had to go thru countless, countless postings of non members arguing back and fourth when this was supposed to be a fact thread only. I have no idea what the politics are on here that makes no one do anything about this but I'm curious to know why on earth this is allowed?? If a moderator requests that we not get into opinions on here, have some respect!!!! :mad: :mad:

blueparrot

TUG Member
Reaction score
All timeshare boards seem to have their RCI sceptics and their RCI cheering section, and TUG is no different. Their seems to be a lot of spin in this thread on both sides, but so what? RCI does not seem to be showing all of its cards, but what else is new? Since RCI does not reveal everything, interpretations are necessary to get a real grip on what is going on, and I can appreciate the interpretations made on both sides of the issue. In the past there were more RCI sceptics active on TUG, and I wonder if some of them have been run off. Aldo, for example. It would be more productive to have a better balance so that we can really dig into what is going on with the new program. A healthy debate is a good thing, and both sides are spinning on these issues.

My own thought is that while the revealing of the TP numbers are interesting, where the rubber meets the road in timeshare exchanging is whether I am getting the trades I want or not. Knowing the numbers or getting change back doesn't benefit me at all if it means I am no longer getting the same trades. From my review of past trades I have actually made and trades I could have made and had considered, I find that I can no longer get many of them on a one for one basis. Two of them I could have made and received change back. On balance, I have lost a lot of trading power with the new system. For me, then, it is a bad system. For those who gained trading power, I am sure they regard it as a good system. If I were in their shoes, I probably would, too. I have talked to three timesharing friends on the new system. Two of them are like me and lost trading power, and they don't like it one bit. The third seems to have come out even and the new system makes no difference at all to him, one way or the other.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's really what it's all about

My own thought is that while the revealing of the TP numbers are interesting, where the rubber meets the road in timeshare exchanging is whether I am getting the trades I want or not. Knowing the numbers or getting change back doesn't benefit me at all if it means I am no longer getting the same trades.

I've been an RCI member since 1984 in Weeks. I've stayed in RCI this long because it has worked for me. I got into RCI Points about 3 years ago and basically stopped using my RCI Weeks account. Last night for the first time, I played around a little bit with the new RCI Weeks. I checked out all my resorts and various weeks to see what the TPUs were. That was pretty cool and I was surprised by some of the ratings. Some were higher than expected and some made me scratch my head because the rating seemed low.

However, like you said,......it's whether am I getting the trades I want or not. In order to answer that, I'll have to take the step and deposit something else into my weeks account (I have one week in there that was part of a purchase of a timeshare) and play around with it for a period of time to try and determine that.

A couple of days ago, for the first time, I wondered to myself, "it might be time to let my RCI membership expire." However, I am in a unique situation currently that I don't feel I have been in in the past. I have enough prime season ownerships that will afford me more vacation destinations in various areas of the country than I can possibly use. The ones that I don't decide to use will be rented. Or I can just rent them all and rent somewhere I want to go.

sharmay2

Reaction score
45 day prior reservation

Does RCI still offer to exchange for any available unit within 45 days of start of reservation?

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My LORD! I just spent hours going thru all the posts in this thread and I have to ask this - why on earth is a moderator not doing anything about the back and fourth opinionated attacks??! I am a member of TUG and just had to go thru countless, countless postings of non members arguing back and fourth when this was supposed to be a fact thread only. I have no idea what the politics are on here that makes no one do anything about this but I'm curious to know why on earth this is allowed?? If a moderator requests that we not get into opinions on here, have some respect!!!! :mad: :mad:

At the top left corner of this page, just below "TUG BBS" there's a link to User CP. Click there and near the bottom of the control panel choices there's "ignore/buddy list." Click "ignore", add you-know-who, and you'll have a much easier time making your way through this thread!