• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WEEKS owners - OPINIONS - new RCI Program

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at even trades that people made before in normal trades not involving either the 45 day window or a bulkbanking episode, there were some major shifts in numbers by RCI. There may have been some anomalies earlier but there seem to be many now that did not exist then. The UK, which is generally high demand and hard to get, has been shortchanged, as has Europe generally. In the past, RCI used to ringfence a certain amount of European inventory that was only made availible to European members. I sure hope they are still doing so, as otherwise Europeans will be playing second fiddle to overpointed US owners in some high supply areas.

My own summer UK weeks will continue as they have for 2011 to go to DAE and SFX, whereas I used to give one to RCI. RCI may actually get my South African weeks, as if I can get in early enough to get the right weeks under the float system I can get 18 points lite each for them, and might even combine them given the low m/f's. Of course, the problem will still be that many of the people who have underpointed weeks will probably be smart enough not to give them to RCI, so those theoretical trades up might actually be illusory. It may be worth a shot once, just to see. Points Lite means that RCI will never again get my prime weeks, but I may roll the dice with my cheap lesser weeks. Unfortunately for off season non-lockout owners in the US, their m/f's probably mean that it would not be cost effective to combine weeks. SA weeks like lockouts have low m/f per unit/week, so it may be feasible.

If I were running SFX, I would already have someone on a plane to the UK to use RCI's absurd numbers to go make the case to resorts as to why RCI has cheated their owners, and it is time to come over to SFX. One London resort already kicked out RCI a few years ago and now uses SFX as its main exchange company. DAE is already on the ground with an office in the UK, and I suspect they will take advantage of the situation, too. Side trips to France and Italy would also seem to be in order.

Have to wonder....

Is the corruption of the new Points Lite/Credits/"Enhanced Weeks" system a new issue, or is it that it has become more visible.

Prior to this (from reading here, as I'm a new owner and don't have the experience myself)...it sounds like the issues were already present, but could be somewhat glossed over by last minute trades (45 day window) and Home resort/area preferences....with the window and home preference changed (Home to 'first in line, but need the credits' preference).

There's another thread below (by Skimble, I think) about why does XX resort with beach access/views get less points than YY resorts.

I think we're going to see more and more people finding issues with values over time...maybe RCI will do a slow, gradual change (or a night of the long knives quick change)...

AFARR

miamidan

Reaction score
Actually the problem is about the corruption of the numbers of the new system that now exist since they have moved the goalposts.

As I said before this thing hit, my analysis was based on looking at the numbers for areas of extremely high demand and very low supply compared to overbuilt or overpointed areas.

On the high side of RCI's numbers, I see such things as (based on posts by others):
- The resort with the highest oversupply in the entire RCI system, as RCI employee Bootleg told us, Vacation Village at Parkway, where for 1BR week 52 RCI is offering 50 points lite, or the other side of the lockoff, 49. For the whole lockoff, it would total 99 points lite. Is it really worth that? No, as shown by what RCI will let you trade in for that week for 2011, over a year away - 11 points lite.
- A 3BR summer week in a resort far from the beach in Myrtle Beach at 60 points lite. (yes summer is high season in MB but there are a lot of resorts there and this one is far from the beach).

On the low side at resorts that are often hard to find any time of the year:
- Chateau de Maulmont, France (2 units, most owners use themselves) - summer 2BR week 22 points lite
- Prague, Rezidence Zlatych - 1BR week 24, 30 points lite
- Monaco, Residence le Castel - 1BR week 31 - French Riviera height of season, 27 points lite
- Venice, Perle Veneziene, 2BR week 30, 32 points lite
- Stouts Hill, UK, only resort in Cotwolds, week 19, 2BR, 23 points lite
- Viena, Hotel Deutschmeister, 1BR, week 31, 1BR, 24 points lite
- London, Allen House, 1BR Christmas or Thanksgiving, 34 points lite
- London, Allen House, weeks 27 to 36, 1BR, 45 points lite
- London, Allen House, New Years, 1BR, 39 points lite

Some always want to look down their noses at motel conversions, so lets make that comparision. OBX, Ocean Villas (motel conversion) prime summer 1BR 38 points lite, 2BR 46 points lite.

Looking at some US areas with very limited supply and high demand that are hard to find any time of the year:
- Charleston / Isle of Palms - Isle of Palms Beach Club, 1BR, weeks 32-35, 25 points lite; week 36, 21 points lite
- Savannah / Tybee Island - Tybrisa at the Beach, 2BR, week 29, 28 points lite
(both of those resorts are also oceanfront)

Conclusions:
- Is Points Lite based on supply and demand? Horsehockey!
- Does Points Lite offer like for like? Horsehockey!
- Are there definite opportunities for trades up in Points Lite? Absolutely! If you happen to own the right thing. Too bad if you own the resorts or resort areas that are screwed.

I would hate to see how intense you would be about this change had you not got the heck out of dodge!

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting existing deposits out did not stop this from impacting trading going forward.

I suspect that many of the most intense defenders of RCI would be much less so if they did not own in overbuilt Orlando, which seems to be really coddled by RCI.

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the present time I am one of those happy with RCI Orlando owners who is reaping the benefits of a high TP Value for 2011. But you need to remember there are millions of muggle fans all over this world and because of this many are expected to flock to Orlando over the next year. So I think you will find that as the excitement of the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter wears down so will the TP value due to possible demand for my Orlando units. I am afraid that only time will tell.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
volume pays the bills

At the present time I am one of those happy with RCI Orlando owners who is reaping the benefits of a high TP Value for 2011. But you need to remember there are millions of muggle fans all over this world and because of this many are expected to flock to Orlando over the next year. So I think you will find that as the excitement of the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter wears down so will the TP value due to possible demand for my Orlando units. I am afraid that only time will tell.

The system will self balance over time as the only way it works is if the demand for the available units comes close to the supply. Now owners get to see what they have and can adjust their actions to best suit their needs. It is better than it was a few weeks ago and going forward should be a viable option for many owners. If it favors one group or punishes another really doesn't matter to me as long as I know what I have and how to use it best.

It is too bad some cannot see that volume plays a big role in this game and no area beats the shear volume of exchanges Orlando generates for RCI. If they want to maximize that so be it and those of us who prefer Orlando anyway get to reap that benefit. Those who want a once or twice in a lifetime trade to England can figure out how best to obtain that as well. It is clear RCI understands where the money is. It's not from trades to overseas for the majority of owners.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My own summer UK weeks will continue as they have for 2011 to go to DAE and SFX, whereas I used to give one to RCI. RCI may actually get my South African weeks, as if I can get in early enough to get the right weeks under the float system I can get 18 points lite each for them, and might even combine them given the low m/f's. .. Points Lite means that RCI will never again get my prime weeks, but I may roll the dice with my cheap lesser weeks. Unfortunately for off season non-lockout owners in the US, their m/f's probably mean that it would not be cost effective to combine weeks. SA weeks like lockouts have low m/f per unit/week, so it may be feasible.
Carolinian, from the standpoint of self-interest: why on earth would you give a high m/f week to DAE, when you can get the exact same exchange with a low m/f week??

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't it a bit provincial to forget the fact that RCI has a lot of owners who live in Europe for whom a trip to Florida is a once or twice in a lifetime trade? And there are some RCI members in the US who are not so provincial that a trade to Europe is a once or twice in a lifetime trade. When I was living in the US, my trades to Europe were a two or three times a year event. Orlando? Nice place every now and then, more often than once every 8 to 10 years and I get mouse overload. Who can get excited over a kitsch Europe at EPCOT when one was traveling to the real thing five times a year or so?

It is clear that RCI at least at one time understood the relative value of European inventory versus North American inventory. That is why they offered European members 2 for 1 credits if they would exchange into North America instead of back into Europe. It is also why they have ringfenced some of their better European inventory, making it availible to European members but not North American members. Now, from some information I have heard, RCI has apparently ended the protections for its European members with this new set of changes. I suspect that, combined with numbers that do not reflect real supply and demand will end up stampeding a lot of European members away from RCI.

You really don't care about the fairness of the numbers, and perhaps that is because RCI's thumb is on the scales in favor of Orlando, the area where you own. Another Tugger has posted that Orlando seems to have the biggest discrepancy between high values awarded for deposits versus lower numbers required for a trade in. That shows that RCI is knowingly giving members there more value than the market says they deserve You say volume does that and RCI is justified. Well if they play the game that way, in a few years RCI may be a great place to exchange if you want to go to an overbuilt area like Orlando, Branson, Williamsburg, Massanutten, the Canary Islands, Finland, or Hungary, but everyone else will have fled to other exchange companies.

If I owned at Allen House, I would be pressing the HOA board to affiliate with II and SFX and to terminate its relationship with RCI unless RCI immediately gave them reasonable points lite numbers.

The system will self balance over time as the only way it works is if the demand for the available units comes close to the supply. Now owners get to see what they have and can adjust their actions to best suit their needs. It is better than it was a few weeks ago and going forward should be a viable option for many owners. If it favors one group or punishes another really doesn't matter to me as long as I know what I have and how to use it best.

It is too bad some cannot see that volume plays a big role in this game and no area beats the shear volume of exchanges Orlando generates for RCI. If they want to maximize that so be it and those of us who prefer Orlando anyway get to reap that benefit. Those who want a once or twice in a lifetime trade to England can figure out how best to obtain that as well. It is clear RCI understands where the money is. It's not from trades to overseas for the majority of owners.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because 1) I have gotten some great stuff from them, 2) I beleive it doesn't hurt to motivate them a bit more on searches by giving them some good stuff back, and 3) I am not going to give anything that is underpointed by RCI to RCI, period.

Also, I can very easily rent my summer OBX week for a good price, and I have never given that to any exchange company.

Ironically the only weeks I have that I may give to RCI are my devalued SA weeks. If I can get in early and reserve the right weeks and then combine them (which is only feasible due to low m/f), I could have a 36 point lite trader. Only by getting the right weeks can I get the same trading power I had before or close to it, which I got then with weeks that now have a lot less points lite. The combining fee sticks in my craw, however, and I really don't beleive that a lot of people are going to be depositing those underpointed weeks for me to raid. Even if they did, the way RCI seems to be playing the game, they would probably charge me what they are really worth to trade into them.

The way RCI has monkeyed with its system, it is only my low m/f weeks that I would even consider giving to them.

Carolinian, from the standpoint of self-interest: why on earth would you give a high m/f week to DAE, when you can get the exact same exchange with a low m/f week??

Last edited:

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ironically the only weeks I have that I may give to RCI are my devalued SA weeks. If I can get in early and reserve the right weeks and then combine them (which is only feasible due to low m/f), I could have a 36 point lite trader. Only by getting the right weeks can I get the same trading power I had before or close to it, which I got then with weeks that now have a lot less points lite. The combining fee sticks in my craw, however, and I really don't beleive that a lot of people are going to be depositing those underpointed weeks for me to raid. Even if they did, the way RCI seems to be playing the game, they would probably charge me what they are really worth to trade into them.
Good luck with that strategy, but you'll be competing with all the other owners who now can see the same charts... plus if the past is any indication of the future, values of the exact same SA weeks could fluctuate wildly, so by the time you get your floating week assignment, the trading power numbers may have completely changed. (At least that's my experience w/Dik weeks in the past, and one reason I no longer own there - too inconsistent in the extreme for same week different years, and not because of peak week calendars, nor mass bankings in March, nor any other discernable reason.)

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good luck with that strategy, but you'll be competing with all the other owners who now can see the same charts... plus if the past is any indication of the future, values of the exact same SA weeks could fluctuate wildly, so by the time you get your floating week assignment, the trading power numbers may have completely changed. (At least that's my experience w/Dik weeks in the past, and one reason I no longer own there - too inconsistent in the extreme for same week different years, and not because of peak week calendars, nor mass bankings in March, nor any other discernable reason.)

As I said, I may try it one time to see if it works. Even with low m/f's, it means a bigger hill to climb in finding a trade that makes sense when one considers two m/f's plus combining fee plus exchange fee but it might. If it doesn't, I will probably sell one week and use the other with DAE. RCI will be primarily for rentals until my membership runs out.

On the SA board, someone had talked with an RCI rep who said that since the change, RCI was now assigning values to SA weeks owned by either Americans or non-South Africans (that wasn't clear in the post, but since the value calculator on the RCI Europe page gives me the same numbers as those reported from the North America site, it seems clear it applies to all non-South Africans) in a manner totally different from anywhere else in their system. Instead of valuing all supply vs all demand, they arbitrarily are basing value numbers on demand from North America against supply from non-SA sources. What the poster in that thread had immediately picked up on was that this did not include demand from Europe, which happens to be the largest, by far, source of inbound tourists to SA. If you exclude that demand, the system designed is totally fraudulent and cheats the owners of those weeks. One wonders what other mechanisms RCI is using to put its thumb on the scales for or against certain areas. What they did in South Africa shows the crying need for transparency in the way the numbers are set. Of course the major accounting scandal at RCI's parent, Cendant (now Wyndham) means that I would flatly not trust any numbers coming out of RCI without a lot of supporting data anyway.

miamidan

Reaction score
Carolinian,

I have no idea what your week is worth in trading power or where you want to go but, I am finding plenty of good stuff at 20 or below and this is for a family that needs 2 bedrooms in summer vacation times.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Reflections (properly put onthe Opinion board)

Loooong post. I thought I would put my reflections all in one post. That way anyone who wants to ignore me because I have been labled a RCI Happy can ignore just this single post.

Orlando: Orlando has been a favorite whipping boy ever since I joined TUG (and not just by a single poster). From day one, there were declarations that it was overbuilt and easy to get into. For that reason, don't buy there.

Overbuilt, maybe, but how well has Orlando done as a trader? Way back, Orlando owners used to post that, despite all the bashing, they got good trades. TUG trade tests seem to have confirmed that. There was a 2004 trade test, but the RCI portion did not include an Orlando resort. (The II test included a Vistana and it did well. Actually, there was little difference in any of the resorts that were matched up. No penalty for owning Orlando in II at the time.) Going back to the next previous test - 2003 - generalizing (and people can look at the test themselves - feel free) the Orlando resorts ended up in the middle of the pack, one step down from a grouping (with small differences among them) that was decidedly higher. (Put differently, the Orlando resorts ended up in the second and what would be best described as a middle tier.)

One shocker from this test (I remember when it was published) was that the Orlando resorts did better than one of the two Shearwater resorts used in the test. One Shearwater unit was at the lower end (marginal differences) of the top tier, which is what people expected; the other was in the third tier. There is an easy explanation for this: it was a Dec.1 week. Still, even an October Orange Lake (low, low season in Florida - tremendous excess capacity) out performed it.

So, if people are shocked by the numbers that Orlando units are getting, it appears that all that they are learning is what was behind that secret curtain all of the time. (We are always being told that what was behind that secret curtain was the way things should be.) What will be interesting is now that this is more out in the open and people won't be trading one for one, what sort of adjustments will be made as true supply and demand kicks in. This will be interesting to watch.

One vs. Two Bedrooms: To me, the real shocker in the published values is how little extra point value is being given for larger units. In Points, there is a real incentive to try to save some extra points by not taking a bigger unit than you really need. This helps open up two bedroom units for those who really need them. Not so with the published values. For an extra point or two, why not take a bigger unit? (And also, split your lockout for sure.)

So is this new? Hindsight makes me think not. In the past, whenever someone posted a question about how well just part of their lockout would trade, the responses were always it will trade really well (even for the studio portions). People reported that the smaller portions brought them trades equivalent to their entire unit so the advice was always "Split, baby, split."

I agree with the critics that this is a terrible feature of the Weeks system. Hopefully, published values, with supply and demand will lead to change and reform.

Supply and demand: I am honestly puzzled trying to figure out some people's conception of supply and demand. Under classical economic theory, any company that tries to ignore it will be punished. Price things too low and it lowers its own profits. Price things too high and it will be stuck with unsold inventory. This is not something that can be controlled by putting one's thumbs on the scale. Misprice and you will be punished.

For this to work, however, you have to have published and incrimentally differing prices. If you want to avoid supply and demand and introduce corruption, secret pricing is the way to go.

Beach vs. near beach: For some, being on the beach is the sine qua non (that without which nothing) for timesharing. Nothing on the beach should be outrankedby anything off no matter what. If it is, then something must be amiss in the pricing.

I haven't been to OBX or Myrtle Beach, but I can't help think about the fact that one of the most desired areas on the East Coast is Hilton Head and few of the resorts there are actually on the beach. In fact, the most desired of all Hilton Head resorts - Disney - is not. Apparently, many people are looking for something more out of timesharing than just being able to see the ocean from their window.

Duck vs Kitty Hawk: As mentioned, I have never been to OBX. Given the constant references, however, I have had to look at some of the claims about it. Starting about ten years ago, BIS Duck was praised and Kitty Hawk was bashed. The story has been Duck is desirable because of its location and Kitty Hawk should be receiving lower points because it is located away from the beach.

First an apology to AFARR. Duck has been taken over by new management and seems to be on the upswing as some much needed upkeep and repair is occurring. If you own your own unit and know what you are getting, it appears as if this is rapidly becoming a good place to own. But what about for outsiders?

First by the numbers: On RCI directory page, Duck has 53 reviews and an overall 2.7 rating. Kitty Hawk has 41 review and an overall 3.9 rating. Hmmm... Looking at the first two pages (the first eight) of the actual reviews for Duck, five of them mention that the resort is on the upswing. Three of the reviews, however, give it one star. They mention things like water leaking through the ceiling (that is also in one of the three star reviews), dated appliances and furniture, offensive smells, crumbs in the kitchen drawers and dirty pans. The bottom line is that if you own or somehow know that you will get a renovated unit, this might be a great place. But there is a difference between just a lack of amenities and dirt. As an outsider, would I be willing to take a gamble on a week of my vacation living in a broken down unit? As one of the reviews titles itself "only if you are desperate" (and for me not even then).

The previous paragraph probably goes a lot further toward explaining the lower point value for Duck than the oft cited thumb on the scales or overemphasizing of amenities.

Blue weeks: Yeah, it is a worry about how those resorts with blue weeks will survive. But, is the worry soley due to the introduction of point values or the loss of the 45 day grace period for trades?

Starting with the 45 day period, I have to mention that the principle proponent of this argument sold his blue weeks and bought into SA when the 45 day period was still there. That is fine. I am sure it made more economic sense to do so. I just hope he openly told everyone at his resort about his reasons because I am sure that it made economic sense for others to do so. The bottom line is that there were already economic pressures on the blue weeks before Points came into existence.

Still, do points lead to the demise of resorts having blue weeks? Is this the nail in the coffin. I am a skeptic. Fairfield, Worldmark, and Bluegreen all existed long before RCI Points, all had points based systems, all have resorts with blue weeks, and their resorts with blue weeks have all managed to survive. Quite frankly, there is more demand for trading into the blue weeks because of the low price. That helps bolster their value. So before we cry over the resorts with blue weeks, let us see what actually happens.

Last edited:

AFARR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Roger....

Good post with a lot of thinking points...

I'll address the OBX issue, as I know a little about that area. I do have high hopes as a new owner for SPM to get BIS Duck back up to higher standards (there is no reason it shouldn't be at least Silver Crown with the available amenities and location).

I did ask the BIS Duck people about the bad reviews....they get almost 3x as many complaints when the weather is bad....obviously the weather affects most of the OBX at the same time (sort of...the saying there is 'don't like the weather? wait 15 min. or drive 15 miles'). However with BIS Kitty Hawk not being on the beach...visitors/owners will have to go out to do things rather than stay at the beach (as happens a lot in BIS Duck). That may cover a few of the issues...and BIS Duck is definitely an older resort. I'm sure a lot of the complaints are justified...I certainly wouldn't want to check into a dirty unit.
SPM just took over in January, so a lot of the older reviews were from when the BIS people were running all the resorts...and sinking the money into BIS Kitty Hawk...so things are definitely looking up..

Now on to the points issue....OK, I took 2 other resorts (I don't own)..
BIS Kitty Hawk, using a 2 BR unit (sleeps 6). Kitty Hawk is a Hospitality resort. Ratings on RCI are (as you mentioned) 3.8 overall.
Wk 3......10
Wk 27.....47
Wk 37.....22

Then to Sea Scape...also using a 2 Br unit, in a Hospitality resort, also off the beach (but closer to the beach) AND it is associated with a golf course (that a lot of the units view). The big difference (yes, it is an older resort than KH) is that it is NOT in developer sales anymore. Ratings on RCI are 3.9 overall.
Wk 3......10
Wk 27....43
Wk 37....20

Not much of a points difference in the way off season...but there is still a substantial (10%) difference in the Red and High/Prime Red weeks. Same resort rating, same size unit, same off-beach location. BIS Kitty Hawk dropped from GC to SC to Hospitality....not a good sign for something in developer sales.

As to Hilton Head island...never been there, but a number of my patients have been...and universally, they are there for the golf rather than the beach (or fishing, or entertainment, etc.).

I very much agree with the lack of credits for the larger units....my 3 Br L.O. (wk 39) at BIS Duck gets 22 credits for the whole thing, or 18 for the 2 Br. Part and 15 for the 1 Br. Part (with partial kitchen)...not a very big difference across the board....obviously makes more sense to deposit one or both parts of the L/O rather than the whole thing. And, if I'm in the market for another weeks unit...I'd have to look for another L/O unit just because of that (vs. my Wk 37 OBBC II that gets a max of 24 credits as a non-L/O unit...so I get 75% of that week's credit for depositing the 2 Br. part of the L/O from Duck...for just over 1/2 of the MFs).

AFARR

Last edited: