• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Nanea - observations

JulieInCA

Reaction score
We just returned from a week in Nanea last Thursday. I hope I can offer some insights. It is an amazing property. We have stayed previously at WKORV- N before and we like this much better.

If you haven't gone through this entire thread, go up and look at the picture that shows the view from the lanai for room 1509. I didn't take that picture but we stayed in that exact room also. The view is THAT good. In fact, my husband preferred it to what other true ocean front views would be. The sun is so powerful at sundown, I don't get how your lanai is even usable in the late afternoons. This would apply to any ocean front view at any location so that is just my opinion there.

The entire property has a better view of the ocean than the other two villa properties. It feels a little "higher" so that even just walking around the main pool and restaurant area, you have a very clear ocean view.

For building numbers, obviously Building 1 is a winner. If you are on the opposite side from where I stayed, you will still see the ocean and that green area between Nanea and the North. Super quiet if you like that. Some do. I like hearing the activity from the pool. But a simple closed sliding glass door shut that out when needed.

Building 2 and Building 4, at least rooms that face inward will totally give you the feel of Building 6 in the North. We stayed on the first floor of the North's Building 6 last year. We really enjoyed the quiet privacy and the easy access to walk to the pool area from outside our lanai. That was what I was hoping for at Nanea, but we totally lucked out with the higher floor and view.

Building 8 is among that whole side that was not completed when we went. But I would imagine that an inside property facing room would be as spectacular as our Building 1.

Your opinion of Buidings 7,6,5, and part of 4 I think will largely depend on what you are looking for. It will feel very private. It will totally be the "adult" side of the property because I can't imagine why the families with younger kids would choose to sit there (unless mom and dad need a getaway). Or maybe if you were late getting to the pool and you really needed to find a chair in the shade, you could do well there. I have teenage boys now, so for me, I could actually see moving over to a chair in that area when I had had my fill of the larger combos of families playing Marco Polo at the pool.

That said, I was a little surprised at just how many families with younger kids were staying there. Clearly these two and three bedroom places really lend themselves to the big family trip. Lots of groups with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. It took a day or two for us to figure out that the pool area is the favorite place of the younger kids, while the ocean and beach is the place for the teens and young adults. Makes sense. We spent a lot of time on that beach. It is very flat and you can go out rather far without getting smashed by big breaks. Lots of space to spread out and find your own "area."

The rooms are great. Loved the space and the layout. My post is long enough, but if there were questions I would be happy to answer. In short, anyone concerned about whether or not you will like it as much as the North and South villas, I think you will be pleased.

JulieInCA

Reaction score
Also wanted to add that the lanais have rectangular tables with 6 chairs. Not the seating for 4 shown in the picture above.

Rasputinj

Reaction score
Also wanted to add that the lanais have rectangular tables with 6 chairs. Not the seating for 4 shown in the picture above.

I felt like the table was tight once you have people on both sides of the table.

There was a lot of little kids at the pool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Going there in October and looking forward to it having seen the reviews on here. Looking at the floor plan those doors that open outwards and miss the lanai/balcony look a little dangerous but I guess we'll get used to it once we've lost one or two of the kids over there :)

CBGrundee

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
Just got back from a seven night stay at the Westin Nanea. The landscaping, building exterior, and interior design looked great. The resort is still under construction, but the exterior scaffolding at the uncompleted sections have been removed. Construction noise wasn’t too bad, but for short periods of time we could hear sawing, hammering, and drilling.

I reserved a three bedroom unit and a two bedroom resort view unit using StarOptions for our party of eight. I requested Building 1 and received 5th floor units in this building. It seemed like the three bedroom was about the same size as the two bedroom unit with the exception of the added third bedroom and foyer. The three bedroom corner unit had 3 king beds in each bedroom, a very large foyer, and an oceanfront facing lanai.

Unit 1512

Unit 1509

Initially, I was concerned about the lack of kitchen counterspace, but the table in the middle of the kitchen worked well for prepping a meal for eight. It was a small inconvenience when trying using multiple appliances at the same time because it was hard to fit and operate a blender, rice cooker, and can opener in the short counterspace between the sink and stovetop. It was nice having an oven for baking and warming. Dinner on the lanai with eight people was a little tight, but it was workable, and everyone enjoyed the outdoor dining experience.

Since the resort was not fully complete, the pool area did not seem that crowded. Unoccupied lounge chairs were plentiful, although most of the thatched umbrellas were taken by late morning. The northern courtyard plunge pool/water feature area is projected to open in July. This area will be adult oriented, and the two plunge pools are very small. We tried a few small plate items from the Inu Pool Bar which were ok. The Mauka Makai Restaurant is fully operational, but we didn’t dine there. Overall, we had a great stay, and this resort worked well for our large group.

My husband and I went to Maui, June 1st -June 8th and had to stay at Kaanapali due to Nanea being over booked. We walked over to check out Nanea since we have 1/1...I don't know how you took that shot of the pool but the pool is not that big. I remember the sales rep telling us the pool was massive. Yeah, Massive..Pffff!

Anyhow, how many building are complete and which buildings were completely hands off? If you dont mind sharing that would be great.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
My husband and I went to Maui, June 1st -June 8th and had to stay at Kaanapali due to Nanea being over booked. We walked over to check out Nanea since we have 1/1...I don't know how you took that shot of the pool but the pool is not that big. I remember the sales rep telling us the pool was massive. Yeah, Massive..Pffff!

Anyhow, how many building are complete and which buildings were completely hands off? If you dont mind sharing that would be great.
Overbooked!!! Are you a Nanea owner? If you are, I'd be furious.

Does this happen often?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am guessing that the OP means that they could not make a reservation at their home resort (Nanea) and so they made a Staroption reservation at the north or south phase instead. Not that they checked-in at Nanea, and got bumped to the other phases. I suppose it's possible that they were actually bumped, but I've never heard of it before.

Last edited:

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score

Buildings 1-3 and a portion of building 4 were open when we were there June 16. Buildings 5-8 are scheduled to open in October 2017 according to the GM. He mentioned 190 units were complete with about 200 units under construction.

See this link for the resort map, post #8:
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/nanea-photos-only.232353/

I wouldn’t call the size of the main pool at Nanea to be massive, but it did seem comparable to WKORVN/S. I hope the main pool doesn’t get too crowded when the resort is complete since there are only two very small plunge pools in the adjacent courtyard area.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Buildings 1-3 and a portion of building 4 were open when we were there June 16. Buildings 5-8 are scheduled to open in October 2017 according to the GM. He mentioned 190 units were complete with about 200 units under construction.

See this link for the resort map, post #8:
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/nanea-photos-only.232353/

I wouldn’t call the size of the main pool at Nanea to be massive, but it did seem comparable to WKORVN/S. I hope the main pool doesn’t get too crowded when the resort is complete since there are only two very small plunge pools in the adjacent courtyard area.
Half of Nanea is still being built? Wow. No wonder the sales guy told us to forget 2017.... (we bought a year ago) LOL.... How loud are the hammers?

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Half of Nanea is still being built? Wow. No wonder the sales guy told us to forget 2017.... (we bought a year ago) LOL.... How loud are the hammers?

We were around the pool area only a few days, and the construction noise was intermittent, but it wasn’t bad. We lounged in the area near Building 8, and we could hear some hammering and drilling noises coming from inside the building, but it didn’t prevent me from taking a nap.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
IMG_2602.PNG
The pool at WKORV-S is noticibly larger than WKORV-N.
Look how far B2 and B3 are apart compared to buildings at north complex.
We don't really use the pools - we hang at ocean/beach, but prefer the openness of the south resort.
I guess when google updates their maps - we will see relative sizes better for Nanea, perhaps comparable to the north, but the Nanea pool profile doesn't look like it come close to south's size.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I'm wondering what the hotel taxes were on the 2 bedroom for the week?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It depends on the unit, but in the range of $15 - $18, per night.

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a seven night stay at the Westin Nanea. The landscaping, building exterior, and interior design looked great. The resort is still under construction, but the exterior scaffolding at the uncompleted sections have been removed. Construction noise wasn’t too bad, but for short periods of time we could hear sawing, hammering, and drilling.

I reserved a three bedroom unit and a two bedroom resort view unit using StarOptions for our party of eight. I requested Building 1 and received 5th floor units in this building. It seemed like the three bedroom was about the same size as the two bedroom unit with the exception of the added third bedroom and foyer. The three bedroom corner unit had 3 king beds in each bedroom, a very large foyer, and an oceanfront facing lanai.

Unit 1512

Unit 1509

Initially, I was concerned about the lack of kitchen counterspace, but the table in the middle of the kitchen worked well for prepping a meal for eight. It was a small inconvenience when trying using multiple appliances at the same time because it was hard to fit and operate a blender, rice cooker, and can opener in the short counterspace between the sink and stovetop. It was nice having an oven for baking and warming. Dinner on the lanai with eight people was a little tight, but it was workable, and everyone enjoyed the outdoor dining experience.

Since the resort was not fully complete, the pool area did not seem that crowded. Unoccupied lounge chairs were plentiful, although most of the thatched umbrellas were taken by late morning. The northern courtyard plunge pool/water feature area is projected to open in July. This area will be adult oriented, and the two plunge pools are very small. We tried a few small plate items from the Inu Pool Bar which were ok. The Mauka Makai Restaurant is fully operational, but we didn’t dine there. Overall, we had a great stay, and this resort worked well for our large group.
Quick question...Just using some deductive reasoning. You were in 1509 on the 5th floor and we just got an II exchange stating 1609 for unit number. Would that be one floor above your 1509 unit picture so essentially view would look a lot like your 1509 view? How did you like being in building 1 otherwise?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Does anyone know if all 3 bedroom units are oceanfront?
Yes!
Also, If you own OF options then you can also book 2BR OF units at 12 Mos for a longer period.

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quick question...Just using some deductive reasoning. You were in 1509 on the 5th floor and we just got an II exchange stating 1609 for unit number. Would that be one floor above your 1509 unit picture so essentially view would look a lot like your 1509 view? How did you like being in building 1 otherwise?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Yes, that unit is right above, so same view. We liked Building 1 for the view and location, although at times it was a little noisy from the kiddie water play area and cabanas below. Let us know if you receive that unit for your II exchange.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
My II confirmation for late November listed a unit number of 1108, so we'd be ostensibly on the ground floor :ponder: I'd appreciate learning later if other II exchangers get the same unit as on their confirmation. TIA
It's still Maui-Hawaii, so we're satisfied :)

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No - Westin doesn't assign the same unit as the one on the II confirmation.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
No - Westin doesn't assign the same unit as the one on the II confirmation.
Thx Denise. I won't get my hopes up, but for a unit in a not too noisy spot.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
- That all being said, to echo the sentiments above, I wouldn't want to own here. Beyond the obvious (it's voluntary, and no lockoffs), the lack of sleeper sofas means these these units sleep less than units at the other properties.

Confused about your statement about the lack of sleeper sofas. Each of the units has a sleeper sofa in the living area of the unit. Therefore each unit sleeps two additional adults above the number of King beds in the unit.

Yes, a two-bedroom lockoff would sleep 8 instead of the 6 in the Nanea format but to say there is a lack of sleeper sofas is somewhat misleading without explaining.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Currently at Nanea. Overall observations a beautiful resort (as you'd expect from Westin) and much bigger than I expected it to be after seeing the bare land and then the fenced off land for so many years. Most comments in line with ones already seen on here. Kitchen counter space is very limited, so much so that they even put the paper towel holder in the walk in pantry? Dining table is close enough to use as an island and nice to have a table to seat 6. Same on the balcony but it does make it very crowded out there. Here with our 18 month old grandson so the sand pool and play areas are really nice for him. Main pool does seem very small, OK this week but could become very crowded when the resort is full. There are many villas (~33%) with parking lot or close up neighboring property views so I'd imagine some people's dream vacations (especially through SO or II) are going to be ruined by that fact. I half expected a poor view having a SO reservation but got 2507 (photos on another thread) with views across the open space. Road noise is definitely noticeable as is the 'beeping' of the reversing alarm on the shuttle buses that use the end of building 2 as their turnaround point.

Did an owners update. For Nanea they wanted $52K for 230,000 SO EOY, 125K SPG points EOY and 60,000 SPG points incentive. $2K/year MFs. For that they would take back our Lagunamar at what we paid ~$16K plus $36K new money. When we politely declined they offered 110,000 SO EOY (can't remember any SPG points or incentive) for $26K new money. Declined again so they wrapped up with the explorer package, 7 nights in a studio at WKORV-N for $2.8K. No thanks, we already own there.

All very tempting but the whole deal was a non starter for me - Nanea don't even have a tea kettle in the villas :)

Last edited:

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
We toured Nanea 2 weeks ago and though the 2 bedroom villa we were shown was gorgeous! However, we were quoted new money similar to what you were, and we said no thanks. We went to the pool area for a day and thought it was OK, but seemed crowded for shoulder season. I did like that it seemed to have more palapas for shade than the other resorts. Seemed to have lots of grilling stations. There were also people bringing around glasses of ice water to your lounger. Kiddie area seemed nice, but heard a couple on the walkway from North carrying a small child that they liked the Pirate pool area at North better. If we have a change to stay there we will, but otherwise we prefer North.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We toured Nanea 2 weeks ago and though the 2 bedroom villa we were shown was gorgeous! However, we were quoted new money similar to what you were, and we said no thanks. We went to the pool area for a day and thought it was OK, but seemed crowded for shoulder season. I did like that it seemed to have more palapas for shade than the other resorts. Seemed to have lots of grilling stations. There were also people bringing around glasses of ice water to your lounger. Kiddie area seemed nice, but heard a couple on the walkway from North carrying a small child that they liked the Pirate pool area at North better. If we have a change to stay there we will, but otherwise we prefer North.

Our grandson liked both Nanea and the Pirate Pool at the North/South, only a short walk so nice as long as the reciprocity between resorts continues. Minimal construction noise this week (some drilling) and it looks like they are doing the final fittings and furniture installations in the buildings 7/8 so expect the resort to be fully open soon. The garden area over that side is very nice and very quiet at the moment, plunge pool to ourselves.

33% sold according to our update. When I mentioned the parking lot view units their spin on it is that you are buying at parking lot view prices but with a good chance to get a great ocean view as long as you reserve at the 12 month window. I must admit they are very persuasive, even to a veteran of saying no at 12 years of owner updates and someone who reads this site regularly. I was almost tempted until I did the math :)

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
I was surprised they let us take the paperwork they presented their math for purchasing on.