• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Nanea - observations

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Nanea Shuttle Noise - Reverse Beeping
(with highway background)

This goes on about every 20 minutes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Front of Westin Nanea taken from Parking Lot

seems like more than 14 villas with a PL view

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We spend a LOT of time on the Lanai so view and aesthetics are important (unless it is for a couple of days during a stay extension.)

It's very odd that they would design so many PL views when they are trying to maximize profits on selling units. Between the noise, smells and view aesthetics you would think they would want to build more units with a garden view similar to WKORVN. Sorry to see that they did not pay more attention to the customer experience.

Between the PL views, and the non-Mandatory nature of Nanea, owners will find that the values of the Island view units will plummet more quickly.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I think the 1Bd issue at Nanea is a real problem - from what I have heard here and meeting owners. I let them (Sales) know this during our presentation. The whole HomeResort option structure is problematic.
Great resort if you have a 3Bd OF - but the lack of 1Bd villas is a problem.
I think we ended up in a 2Bd because of the lack of 1Bd availability. I heard this from a few owners. Some people - like us - only travel together as a couple. I understand that the lack of lock offs at Nanea is at root of the issue.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Nanea has no "Island View" designated deeds - about 15% of the villas are Ocean Front, and all of the rest are lumped in together as "Resort View."

So owners who make their reservations late, Staroption reservations, and II exchangers, are the most likely to get the parking lot views.

I'm sure that the sales people make it seem like owners will never get assigned to those undesirable locations.

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
My friends also thought the 2 ponds were wasted spaces.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I think the 1Bd issue at Nanea is a real problem - from what I have heard here and meeting owners. I let them (Sales) know this during our presentation. The whole HomeResort option structure is problematic.
Great resort if you have a 3Bd OF - but the lack of 1Bd villas is a problem.
I think we ended up in a 2Bd because of the lack of 1Bd availability. I heard this from a few owners. Some people - like us - only travel together as a couple. I understand that the lack of lock offs at Nanea is at root of the issue.

FWIW...we were able to reserve a 1 bedroom on the HHonors site for the July 4th week and yet we are hearing that owners are not able reserve the 1 bedroom units. Doesn't make sense.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Everything seemed crammed around the pool and pond area. More so than with WKORV/N.

One upside is that we got out and about more while staying at Nanea. At WKORV - we barely leave the resort area other than walking - and spend most days on beach.

The beach and ocean off of WKORV/N are much better. We went down there over going to Nanea beach.

An upside to Nanea is that it is close to Dukes.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
FWIW...we were able to reserve a 1 bedroom on the HHonors site for the July 4th week and yet we are hearing that owners are not able reserve the 1 bedroom units. Doesn't make sense.

Not sure how any rooms are available at Nanea (or WKORV/N) would be available on HHonors site on July 4th week. That is more than 8 months away...

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Ridesharing is now on Maui, and growing out of the same need that started Uber/Lyft in first place.

For those afraid - then you are limiting yourself on a fear that may be misguided by media reports. Actually much more unsafe to be a Driver (same with Taxis).
Especially Maui... as ‘shady’ Lyft/Uber Drivers would take an extreme risk as they have IDs on file.
My many experiences with Lyft/Uber Drivers has ranged from fine to fantastic although yet to use in Maui as we have a car. But could have used one returning from a Luau a few years back - unfortunately Ridesharing is relatively new on Maui.
YMMV

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the comments on the Nanea resort. Our family really enjoys this resort, but the first time we did stay in a "resort view" room - which had a view of the "out house" between the North property and Nanea. This room location also got the sewer smell from time to time - which did not occur, in our experience with the Ocean Front rooms, perhaps due to location and ocean proximity.

We decided we would then only stay in a 3 bedroom OF (or 2 bedroom OF) so we purchased ocean front options (resale) and are extremely pleased with the purchase so far.

However, if we had to stay in a resort view again and kept hearing beeping, and worried about PL views, etc - I would be pretty disappointed. Even though the rooms are nice, it doesn't make up for those annoyances. i'm going to bring this up in the next owner update, and I think this strongly needs to be communicated to Vistana as they could easily resolve the beeping issue, IMO.

It's a gorgeous resort (IMO) overall, and some they can fix (beeps) but some they can't (views of PL). If they can fix the ones they can it will make for an better experience for all.

Darius

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
We spent no time on the Nanea balcony (unlike our WKORV stays).
Mainly because it wasn’t conducive due to overall noise (and occasional smell).

The lack of counter space was an issue. In fact, it lead us to cook less often (that and the BBQs were quite a distance away. Just making coffee took up the only usable counter space.

The soaking tub (IMO) is a waste of space - and the moving wall between the bedroom and bathroom is a bad design (although it looks cool). I don’t want to sleep with an open bathroom area, and getting up at night to use the toilet for Robin is a hassle (move wall from corner, and cross bathroom in dark). Bad design.

We did like the pantry area.
The couch was more comfortable than our WKORV couch.

The parking fee...
it costs $15/day to self-park (this totally sucks). The valet is only $5 more, but personally do not want to depend on the valet to pickup/dropoff our vehicle. And the tipping that goes along with it...
And certainly do not want to pay $15/day to self park.

I like the foyer of the WKORV villas - it gives separation from villa and hallway noise, and makes it feel more secluded. We never hear anyone in our WKORV villa except occasionally the people in the adjoining lock off coming and going.

Turns out we loved the kitchen/pantry/dining table, etc. Didn't use the lanai balcony very much because it was more fun at the beach/pool.

The soaking tub, however, is another story. You are right, a waste of space. And that folding door keeping the bathroom and tub separated from the bedroom; well, I'd rather they gave more space to the bedroom. Pretty stupid design... we used to tub to hang out swim suits out to dry.

The 2-bedroom unit is quite nice however. Will be glad to go there again in a year or two...

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I stay at Nanea via II trade, do I need to pay for parking? I remember I don’t have to pay while staying at Wkorv before

purpledog25

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea Villas-Maui
I was in same boat (busy life, little vacationing) for years - and bought Vacation from SVO (VSE) - luckily I found TUG in time (Dec 2015) and rescinded $70K WKORVN OF (now $20K?) - and bought multiple resale Westin VOIs - we love them and have great vacations. It can be done w/o buying from the Developer.
We are about to enjoy 17 nites on Kauai, and then 19 in Maui in Sept.
Always try and make the most out of the vacation purchase - regardless.
Enjoy.
Are there different benefits to buying from the developer vs resale? We just rescinded from buying from the developer (Nanea) and our sales person talked us out of it buying resale.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Are there different benefits to buying from the developer vs resale? We just rescinded from buying from the developer (Nanea) and our sales person talked us out of it buying resale.

Congrats on rescinding
Rescind
Research
Resale

Plenty of great resales out there - read this forum (Research).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Of course he talked you out of it - no commission for the sales person if you buy resale.

I would not buy at Nanea from the developer or resale, because it's a voluntary resort, that means that if you decide to sell it, the Staroptions to not transfer to the new owner, and that kills the resale value

Consider buying at Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas - 2 doors down, where you DO get Staroptions when you buy resale, and the maintenance fee is lower.

But don't jump into another purchase - hang around with us and do your homework first:

What to buy questions: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-to-buy-questions-for-newbies.208742/

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Nanea Shuttle Noise - Reverse Beeping
(with highway background)

This goes on about every 20 minutes...

OMG. I’m here now, in a 2-bed ocean view on the top floor near the back and I CAN HEAR THE SHUTTLE BEEPING IN BED WITH WINDOWS CLOSED AND A/C ON. This will be the singular reason this resort is last on my list for Maui in future. Simply absurd. Proves they don’t care.

Speaking of not caring...when I checked in it was suggested I pay an extra $150 per night for a unit closer to the beach since it’s such a great deal when normally priced $1000 per night, or $500 upgrade (yes, she said both amounts in the same sentence). Not pleased at the fake smile, “thanks for your loyalty” (and yet no loyalty in exchange...), etc. Disappointed in front desk staff training.

Unit itself is quite nice, tho why would they have a 2-bed unit with only one safe? That just seems cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
OMG. I’m here now, in a 2-bed ocean view on the top floor near the back and I CAN HEAR THE SHUTTLE BEEPING IN BED WITH WINDOWS CLOSED AND A/C ON. This will be the singular reason this resort is last on my list for Maui in future. Simply absurd. Proves they don’t care.

Speaking of not caring...when I checked in it was suggested I pay an extra $150 per night for a unit closer to the beach since it’s such a great deal when normally priced $1000 per night, or $500 upgrade (yes, she said both amounts in the same sentence). Not pleased at the fake smile, “thanks for your loyalty” (and yet no loyalty in exchange...), etc. Disappointed in front desk staff training.

Unit itself is quite nice, tho why would they have a 2-bed unit with only one safe? That just seems cheap.

Ridiculous- right? Every 20 mins or so...
They offered to move us - but we were settled in. It did get us out and about more.
(perhaps Sales could use that...)
We ended up in a 2Bd although our Promo was for 1Bd. I suspect the lack of 1Bd (?).

That moving wall for the the MasterBed/Bath is also bad for those that need to go in middle of night.
Also, that Bath is poorly placed.
IMO

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance we can make a list of the unit numbers most likely to be affected by this? I'm terribly worried now as I am sending my sister and her family next February. Booked Nanea only because they had to change dates and by the time we went to book only Nanea was available. I know they'll have a great time, but now worried if they end up in a unit with the beeping! If I could flag for them the room numbers they could at least preemptively ask for something else when they check in if they're assigned to one of these.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Is there any chance we can make a list of the unit numbers most likely to be affected by this? I'm terribly worried now as I am sending my sister and her family next February. Booked Nanea only because they had to change dates and by the time we went to book only Nanea was available. I know they'll have a great time, but now worried if they end up in a unit with the beeping! If I could flag for them the room numbers they could at least preemptively ask for something else when they check in if they're assigned to one of these.

Look at Nanea Resort map - villas looking at PL or at corner where shuttle turns around.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

They moved us to a better unit closer to the pool. I now hear other noises but no shuttle beeping, so I’m pleased. I suspect if you try for close to the pool you’ll be far enough away from the shuttle to not hear it. I’d suggest placing that request now.

Also, it’s apparent that they have received significant feedback about this issue. This must continue. All owners should express their disbelief that the plans for this resort contained such an obvious oversight and needs to be fixed. This will likely require some adjustment to the entrance road to permit the shuttle to turn around without backing up, and be expensive.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Look at Nanea Resort map - villas looking at PL or at corner where shuttle turns around.

I’d suggest that the noise goes much further than you think.

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what's it worth, we did an owners tour a few weeks ago, and after the perfunctory walk through the property, and politely listening/declining the latest pitch, they brought in the "closer" who was really not taking no for an answer. I finally had to tell her "I'm sorry, but to begin, you made Nanea voluntary. It makes zero sense for me to purchase something from you that who value is going to evaporate by 80% (??? I was guessing) as soon as I sign." She kept pushing back even after that so I had to resort to the shuttle noise complaints, lack of lock-offs and associated lower occupancy totals, and higher MF's, etc... when compared to WKORV before she yielded. We actually really like the property and the 3bd OF units (though as noted, the pool area felt really compressed), but I felt like I had to resort to a full airing of grievances in order to escape the owners update.