• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Nanea - observations

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Is there any chance we can make a list of the unit numbers most likely to be affected by this? I'm terribly worried now as I am sending my sister and her family next February. Booked Nanea only because they had to change dates and by the time we went to book only Nanea was available. I know they'll have a great time, but now worried if they end up in a unit with the beeping! If I could flag for them the room numbers they could at least preemptively ask for something else when they check in if they're assigned to one of these.

I think I was the first to mention this so I'm glad it isn't just me, and I don't even have the best of hearing (or so my wife tells me :))

I'd say it definitely impacts all the outward facing units in Buildings 2, 3 and 5 and probably 1 and 6 also to a lesser extent. Not sure about the inward facing units but if it impacts those it would be the units close to the corner of 2 and 3. (There is a good map from DavidnRobin on page 4 of this thread)

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My first week at Nanea complete, though I had previously visited several times since the opening. A few observations:

1. The 2-bed unit was quite nice, with superior living room furniture as compared to WKORV (IMO). I especially liked the chair, and the full size coffee table with the soft ottomans beneath.

2. The TV is at a much better height in the living room. This is not important, but nice to see...especially compared to the absurdity of many resorts installing it above a fireplace or higher up (such as WDW and countless Marriott resorts).

3. The kitchen, as reported numerous times, is lacking counter space. We dealt with it just fine, but used the table as prep area. I did enjoy the more openness of the room without the dedicated kitchen space.

4. The second bathroom has a tub/shower combo, which I thought unfortunate. WKORV is much better in this regard, with a separate shower and tub.

5. I disliked the entrance door directly on the hallway, as we could hear conversations of those who passed by the unit, doors closing, etc...similar to many hotels and unlike WKORV.

6. We heard there is a current labor shortage on Maui. I hope this explains some of the subpar service we received at the resort, while at other times it was excellent. Two times we received attitude and indifference from the hostess at the restaurant (and it was from two different people), once to the point that my friend and I were uncomfortable so we left and ate elsewhere (and we had a free breakfast coupon!). Then, we had issues with the wait staff understanding the free breakfast coupons we received, and one day no problem and the next an argument about it. I did have a great conversation with the chef and two (three?) of the management, all of whom were excellent, understanding and gave the impression that the resort is well run. Unfortunately, that impression didn’t pass down to the staff.

7. The shuttle beeping. Oh, the beeping! So stupid, so silly, so PREDICTABLE, and yet it’s been 1.5 years since they opened and they haven’t done anything about the problem yet.

8. The pool area feels cramped as compared to the others. Many rows of chairs in confined areas with limited room for walking. Complete indifference of families respecting the adult spa and allowing their kids in, as expected.

9. Lots of wasted space, not dissimilar to WKORV-N.

10. The parking lot requires a key card for entry. It’s far from many rooms.

I would return on another II exchange if the others aren’t available but will not use SOs for a stay here. As I posted earlier, I enjoy WKORV and WKORV-N more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We checked into Nanea yesterday after a week at WKORV. I agree with Ken555's thoughts outlined above (except item 5 on staffing; we have had only minimal interaction with staff so far, but all of it has been positive).

We lucked out on room assignment; we are in 7107; we face Honua Kai and have an empty water retention pond separating us from them). No beeping buses. We are here on an Interval exchange and after Ken's and David's comments about beeping buses and parking lot views, I would not take that risk again. Especially considering the odds of a really bad room assignment because there are a whole lot of really bad rooms (think building 4 at WKORV, but more bad units and with a view of a multi-story parking garage instead of a street level parking lot).

The kitchen has about 2.5 feet of counter space total; perhaps we are oddballs but we use our kitchen. I'm sure the reduced kitchen followed surveys and focus groups, and for those who don't cook much, it is more than adequate. The first floor units have extra large lanais with two chaises lounges and a dinner table for six (the upper units only have the table for six). The living room has pieces of furniture that function as a dresser and as a closet -- a welcome relief to the guest stuck sleeping there. The rooms, the furniture, the feeling are typically Westin.

I would consider owning OF here on a resale when resale prices come down, but I would not recommend purchasing Resort View. Too much view risk. ymmv

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I just counted the number of villas with the dreaded parking structure view: 38 facing the Nanea parking structure and another 28 facing the Honua Kai parking structure. The latter aren't as bad, but we don't travel to Hawaii to look at parking structures.

Nanea has 390 units. ~50 units are ocean front (with stunning views), leaving about 340 Resort View units. This means that about 20% (66/340) of all Resort View units have parking structure views.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I just counted the number of villas with the dreaded parking structure view: 38 facing the Nanea parking structure and another 28 facing the Honua Kai parking structure. The latter aren't as bad, but we don't travel to Hawaii to look at parking structures.

Nanea has 390 units. ~50 units are ocean front (with stunning views), leaving about 340 Resort View units. This means that about 20% (66/340) of all Resort View units have parking structure views.

Worse, most of those (perhaps not floor 5/6) are WORSE views than the WORKV parking lot views we have discussed long before I became a TUG member some ~13 years ago. Many of these Nanea units look at a parking structure without any Mountain View at all.

It’s really a horrible design, at least for those units. I suspect they just didn’t have enough land.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk