• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Resort and Spa, Cancun

Snowonbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Harborside, Diamond Resorts
Earlier this week, we spent a couple of days at the Westin Resort and Spa before our regular stay at Westin Lagunamar. We booked an ocean view studio and were assigned the 4th floor in the renovated section. Although we found the space a bit tight (mostly because we are used to one bedroom units), we did have a king bed and a full sized refrigerator. Everything was immaculate and looked freshly updated. We did not see any barbecues but neither did we ask if there were any. That would be a deal breaker for us plus the distance from grocery stores. If the weather had cooperated, we would have enjoyed good snorkelling as this Westin is close to the reef plus it is more sheltered for swimming. We enjoyed eating in the Sports Bar and Sea and Stones but would have tired of eating there for more than two days. Our Owner's Update lasted less than the 75 minutes that was required and we received 30,000 points and a taxi to Lagunamar. We were encouraged to purchase Westin Adventuras and trade in one of our Lagunamar units but we declined the offer and that was the end of it. All in all, a pleasant stay.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Earlier this week, we spent a couple of days at the Westin Resort and Spa before our regular stay at Westin Lagunamar. We booked an ocean view studio and were assigned the 4th floor in the renovated section. Although we found the space a bit tight (mostly because we are used to one bedroom units), we did have a king bed and a full sized refrigerator. Everything was immaculate and looked freshly updated. We did not see any barbecues but neither did we ask if there were any. That would be a deal breaker for us plus the distance from grocery stores. If the weather had cooperated, we would have enjoyed good snorkelling as this Westin is close to the reef plus it is more sheltered for swimming. We enjoyed eating in the Sports Bar and Sea and Stones but would have tired of eating there for more than two days. Our Owner's Update lasted less than the 75 minutes that was required and we received 30,000 points and a taxi to Lagunamar. We were encouraged to purchase Westin Adventuras and trade in one of our Lagunamar units but we declined the offer and that was the end of it. All in all, a pleasant stay.
30,000 points is pretty good.

Snowonbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We thought so!

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
we wanted to try Westin Cancun but every time i look at the staroption chart and compare to Lagunamar i say to myself that it does not make sense to book a smaller condo in a less convenient location (no grocery store, restaurants etc in proximity), smaller pools and possibly stay on the lagoon side. Yes, it is newly renovated but that does not make up for everything else IMO since the condos at WLR are nice enought.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
we wanted to try Westin Cancun but every time i look at the staroption chart and compare to Lagunamar i say to myself that it does not make sense to book a smaller condo in a less convenient location (no grocery store, restaurants etc in proximity), smaller pools and possibly stay on the lagoon side. Yes, it is newly renovated but that does not make up for everything else IMO since the condos at WLR are nice enought.

It is not on the lagoon, it is on a protected area of the Caribbean.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
When we were deciding to extend our stay in Cancun for three days we actually booked the Westin Cancun Resort & Spa using StarOptions. The number of options was the same as it was for Lagunamar for those three nights. After booking, we read reviews and they sounded horrid. Perhaps they put the hotel guests in the worst of the worst rooms. I don't know. We just didn't like the fact it was so far away from everything and it would have been a chore to just get to a convenience store. We opted to stick with Lagunamar and Owner Services happily cancelled our Westin Cancun reservation without penalty (no $75 fee and unrestricted options). Definitely interested in learning more about the property, just not sure I could ever bring myself to book it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It is not on the lagoon, it is on a protected area of the Caribbean.
There are "Lagoon Side" view units. We also didn't like that not many of the units had a balcony. It seems that only the top floors have balconies.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
this is how small the pool is

upload_2019-1-24_21-50-47.png

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't there more than one pool though?
from all the pictures i have seen that one seems to be the largest believe it or not. This is the 3d Google maps view
upload_2019-1-24_22-1-16.png

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
if this were a mountain resort i would probably be ok with the pool but it seems very small especially in comparison with the ones at Lagunamar.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think there is also a pool on the back side (Lagoon Side). Though from what I could tell from photos on TripAdvisor, there were no stairs in to the pool, only a ladder.

Aren't those blue/green triangles also pools?

It obviously doesn't come close to Lagunamar, but it is a hotel conversion afterall.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
The benefit of the backside / lagoon side pool is that it is facing the SUNSHINE in the late afternoon.

We stayed at Raintree - Club Regina - the TS across the driveway in Feb 2015. There is / was a share agreement with the Westin hotel .

We would go to the lagoon side after 4pm for the late afternoon sunshine . We actually did not stay at the pool . There was a palapa lounge area closer to the lagoon .

Last edited:

Snowonbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree Lagunamar has far more to offer. Westin Resort and Spa does have smaller pools and is a smaller resort overall. It is far from grocery stores. The building we stayed in is newly renovated and every room has a balcony. When the remaining sections are converted, they will also have balconies according to what we were told. The beach is usually much calmer than Lagunamar, however, due to the proximity to a cove. There can be good snorkelling in front of the property next door depending on the weather. We much prefer Lagunamar but did enjoy our two day stay here.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
the Marriott website probably reflects the demand for the 2 resorts and Lagunamar is usually 45-60% more expensive.

I would like to try it out but not more than 2-3 days when we book a week at wlr. I am not sure it is worth wasting 1/2 day though with packing/unpacking for 4, check out/check in etc.

As far as i can tell for us the only reason to book there is for snorkeling.
However i guess that going to Cozumel from Wlr for 1/2 day would probably be a better use of our vacation time