• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin, Sheraton, Vistana Flex Timeshare explained

trader14

Reaction score
I saw a thread that questioned this system and i wasn't familiar with it so i looked online for information and this is what i found - for me personally it makes no sense because it would take my mandatory resort staroptions and convert to voluntary meaning the flex won't transfer and my timeshare that i purchased resale would lose substantial value.

I take no credit in what i am posting it is simply a copy/paste

[Written by Syed Sarmad]

There are three points based programs that Vistana currently has:

Sheraton Flex

Westin Aventuras

Westin Flex

There are 6 resorts in the Sheraton Flex program:

Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Myrtle Beach, SC

Sheraton Vistana Resort and Vistana Villages, Orlando, FL

Vistana Beach Club, Jensen Beach, FL

Sheraton Steamboat Springs, Steamboat Springs, CO

Sheraton Desert Oasis, Scottsdale, AZ

The Westin Aventuras are Mexico based resorts:

Los Cabos, Cabo San Lucas

Two currently in their resorts in Cancun

There are 7 resorts in the Westin Flex program:

Westin Ka anapali Ocean Resort Villas, Maui, Hawaii

Westin Ka anapali Ocean Resort Villas North, Maui, Hawaii

Westin Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii

Westin Kierland Villas, Scottsdale, AZ

Westin Mission Hills, Rancho Mirage, CA

Westin Desert Willow, Palm Desert, CA

Westin Riverfront Villas, Avon, CO

The Flex system is a point based program giving owners the Home Resort preference period of making reservations up to 12 months in advance in multiple locations.

For example, the Westin Flex program owners will have the right to make reservations in any one of the seven resorts up to 12 months in advance. Purchases made from the Developer have the option of reserving at any other Vistana Signature resort up to 8 months in advance or bank un-used StarOptions or borrow StarOptions or exchange through Interval International or convert into Starwood Preferred Guest or what’s called SPG points.

Flex owners cannot make reservations into any oceanfront units at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas South and North or any Event Weeks at either of these two resorts – Kaanapali South or Kaanapali North.

The Flex timeshare is a mandatory membership in a trust with voting rights and assessments. A special warranty deed is issued. The annual maintenance fees are computed on the number of home options purchased, multiplied by the maintenance fee cost per point. Retail purchases also pay an annual club fee.

It is important to note that all the resorts currently in the Sheraton Flex and Westin Flex programs have had sales programs in the past where purchasers bought timeshare interests in one week intervals. So where do these programs get their inventory? The Inventory currently in these Flex programs was acquired through owners upgrading their ownership, through the Developer buying back inventory under their “right of first refusal” option (where applicable), or through foreclosures.

There are two classifications of resorts in the Westin or Vistana program. This pertains specifically to what benefits transfer to a timeshare resale buyer, in other words – what benefits they receive when they purchase a timeshare resale and what benefits do not transfer on a resale.

There are Mandatory and Voluntary Resorts.

The Sheraton Flex, Westin Aventuras and Westin Flex programs come under the classification of voluntary resorts which means StarOption and StarPoint benefits do not transfer to a timeshare resale buyer. The resale buyer will have the same rights to reserve at any one of the resorts in those groups of up to 12 months in advance or enroll into Interval International to make any external exchange.

In other words, they can make reservations just as if they had purchased from a Developer in their network of resorts. For example: a Westin Flex resale buyer can make reservations up to 12 months in advance at any one of the seven resorts or as the Sheraton Flex member at any one of the six resorts or as the Westin Aventura member at Los Cabos and Cancun.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks for sharing. You are right, it seems that they are trying to incent people to give up their mandatory SO status.

If you already own a voluntary resort and opt for Flex, it appears that it gives resale buyers some trading power in the Flex system (in other words limited SO trades to the flex resorts) if I read this correctly.

Of course, this may all be gone in a year with Marriott's new programs.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
all these programs have home resort priority and they also exchange internally with all the Vistana resorts. My take from this is that if Marriott wants to do it, it can easily integrate the Vistana Staroptions and the MVC destination points. Some people say it is extremely difficult from a legal stand point.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
This is why I would never participate in Westin Flex:

Flex owners cannot make reservations into any oceanfront units at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas South and North or any Event Weeks at either of these two resorts – Kaanapali South or Kaanapali North.​

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Flex owners cannot make reservations into any oceanfront units at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas South and North or any Event Weeks at either of these two resorts – Kaanapali South or Kaanapali North.​

It also means that this inventory is not affected by Flex - at least for now.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

They can possibly reserve OF units, as long as they do it when their Flex Options become StarOptions and book at the 8 month mark. Of course, there would need to be availability. Has anyone been successful booking OF in Maui with StarOptions?

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
Sheraton Flex

There are 6 resorts in the Sheraton Flex program:

Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Myrtle Beach, SC

Sheraton Vistana Resort and Vistana Villages, Orlando, FL

Vistana Beach Club, Jensen Beach, FL

Sheraton Steamboat Springs, Steamboat Springs, CO

Sheraton Desert Oasis, Scottsdale, AZ

Sad that that they have not updated the website yet. Remember thett are two momo resorts in the system and that is Sheraton Mountain Vista and Sheraton Lakeside Terrace.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Sad that that they have not updated the website yet. Remember thett are two momo resorts in the system and that is Sheraton Mountain Vista and Sheraton Lakeside Terrace.

"They" is not Vistana but is Syed Sarmad who posted this on his website Advantage Vacation on May 11, 2018. The two additional resorts were added to Sheraton Flex a couple of weeks after his posting.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
WSJ and Harborside not included in these packages. Do you think they are/were planning to develop a super premium package with OF Maui and these resorts? (I would hate the see the MF on that Flex package!)

Are premium ski weeks or premium units (e.g. with hot tubs on decks) at the ski resorts included in Flex? or are they also holding these back for a super premium package? It would seem that having premium ski weeks included in a premium Flex package would make sense.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Deleted.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Are premium ski weeks or premium units (e.g. with hot tubs on decks) at the ski resorts included in Flex? or are they also holding these back for a super premium package? It would seem that having premium ski weeks included in a premium Flex package would make sense.

Premium ski weeks at The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas are included in the Westin Flex program. Since they are, I must assume same for the appropriate resorts in the Sheraton Flex program but am unable to determine that for certainty.

The exclusions (as taken from the Flex program documents) in the Westin Flex program are 1) ocean front units at both The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas and The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North, and 2) Christmas and New Year Vacation Periods at The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas, The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North and The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
One thing is for sure: with all of these Flex packages, OF exclusions, event weeks, mandatory, voluntary and regular weeks owners - not to forget ILG and Hyatt - Marriott has a hairball on their hands. This acquisition is not a slam-dunk to integrate.

I would not be surprised if Marriott's first foray is to cash cow Vistana Flex, and create high incentives to enroll the WSJ, Harborside, HI OF/Event weeks owners plus Mexico into "Super DC (Destination Club)" which would be of most value to Marriott and Vistana owners who wish to trade.

Then they would turnaround and market this back to the res of Marriott and Vistana owners and Flex to enroll in "Super DC" and they could charge them a higher enrollment fee to do so.

e.g.

To Vistana: "Want better access to OF Maui, WSJ, Harborside plus MVC? Enroll in "Super DC"

To Marriott Owners and DC points owners: "Want access to Mexico, WSJ, Harborside and more HI OF options? Enroll in "Super DC"

Last edited:

trader14

Reaction score
They can possibly reserve OF units, as long as they do it when their Flex Options become StarOptions and book at the 8 month mark. Of course, there would need to be availability. Has anyone been successful booking OF in Maui with StarOptions?

we've booked oceanfront units multiple times in maui and twice this year. as long as it's available i and someone has the staroptions it can be booked. i am a happy timeshare owner as long as i can use my staroptions from my home resort and book oceanfront in maui

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
"They" is not Vistana but is Syed Sarmad who posted this on his website Advantage Vacation on May 11, 2018. The two additional resorts were added to Sheraton Flex a couple of weeks after his posting.

Sorry, I thought the OP got this from Vistana's website and did not know that it was taken from the Vistane info pages on Tugg.
I can say though that Vistana has not updated there info the last time (2 months) I looked.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ and Harborside not included in these packages. Do you think they are/were planning to develop a super premium package with OF Maui and these resorts? (I would hate the see the MF on that Flex package!)

You can book any day or date in Vistana Flex as long as it is available and you have the points. If however you are a weeks owner you cannot book the event weeks at the Vistana Flex resorts unless you own them and I think you will be less likely to get a ski week with Staroptions at 8 months out because Vistana Flex can book these weeks at 12 months out.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
we've booked oceanfront units multiple times in maui and twice this year. as long as it's available i and someone has the staroptions it can be booked. i am a happy timeshare owner as long as i can use my staroptions from my home resort and book oceanfront in maui

Congrats on your trades. Were any of your trades during peak? i.e. summer (mid-June to end-July) or or during whale season or during the holidays?

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I take no credit in what i am posting it is simply a copy/paste
trader14 - When you copy something from someone's website, you should give them credit for it. In fact since Syed is a TUG member, you should ask his permission. To contact him, go to your in-box and write a private message to Syed - "Syed" is his TUG user name.

Sorry, I thought the OP got this from Vistana's website and did not know that it was taken from the Vistane info pages on Tugg. I can say though that Vistana has not updated there info the last time (2 months) I looked.
TUG has a flex article in the VSE forum stickies.

Last edited:

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score

April 2018 ... booked OF at WKOVN with StarOptions - 5th floor

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Booked 1Bd WKORV for last Sept using 81K SOs from WKV.

Got an WKORV 1Bd OFD villa (95.7K SO) - surprise and delight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So even though there may not be any OF weeks in the Flex trust, there is really no reason a Westin Flex owner can't reserve the same OF weeks. Just at eight months out.

trader14

Reaction score
So even though there may not be any OF weeks in the Flex trust, there is really no reason a Westin Flex owner can't reserve the same OF weeks. Just at eight months out.

Flex owners cannot make reservations into any oceanfront units at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas South and North. in order to reserve oceanfront at the 8 month mark you will need staroptions

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Flex Owners have Staroptions as long as they are purchased from the developer. Reservations made by Flex owners that are not home resort reservations are made with Staroptions. It's discussed above:
bank un-used StarOptions or borrow StarOptions or exchange through Interval International or convert into Starwood Preferred Guest or what’s called SPG points.

***Did you get permission to post the info you copied from Syed's website in post #1?

Last edited: