• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
So excited to be back. Headed to owners update Tuesday or Wednesday. The CV units look nice and the demo units had the lights burning last night!

Do you have any photos of the CV units? Which unit(s) did they have available to tour? I am curious if they resolved the problem with the tiny window in the 2-BR loft. Also, are there decent views from any of the bedrooms?

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have any photos of the CV units? Which unit(s) did they have available to tour? I am curious if they resolved the problem with the tiny window in the 2-BR loft. Also, are there decent views from any of the bedrooms?

Sorry no photos. Left my phone by mistake. Yes actually decent view from ground floor unit. We toured the two end units in the building closest to the lobby. A studio and 2 br. Interesting layout. Definitely smaller than BV units. Basically they made the bathrooms smaller. Double sinks in master but just shower. All we need. We felt the BV bathrooms are wasted space. The kitchen is slimmed down. Only 2 burners. Again no oven. It's more of a galley style with less counter space. Definitely a smaller fridge. The eating area is bench style but shorter with a 90° Turn to seat at the end and pushed close to the living room. Living room is definitely smaller too with couch and small dresser with TV over it. Master Bedroom is angled off the living room.

The views we saw are similar to BV (ie through the trees) but different perspective since closer and less elevated.

Units are really nicely appointed.

3 bedroom is combining a studio and a 2br. No loft to see.

She said the farthest building (below BV 27) will have nicest views.

Purchase price for 2br week may through December is $38k.

See price sheet below

EADF0D3A-A397-4184-AF55-EA240DE6C1FB.jpg

MF are crazy! $3300 for 1 week 2br in summer/fall season and $4500 for 3br? I almost didn't believe them.

Fyi for those interested the Explorer package is $2600. I purchased it in case we decide to try to do something with a requal a week and trade in. We also get 2 free ferry passes which is a help since we need 4. So next summer we'll likely stay in CV for 5 nights and move to BV for 4-5 nights.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they quotes me the wrong MF. I think those amounts are for diamond season.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
The SP conversion on these units is laughably low.

And the SOs don't jive with the 2015 SO table. Are they revising this, or are they seriously going to give owners fewer SOs to exchange out than they are going to require to exchange in?

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I don't think the maintenance fees change from one season to the next so it is worth it to buy the best season to get the most bang for your buck.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
The SP conversion on these units is laughably low.

And the SOs don't jive with the 2015 SO table. Are they revising this, or are they seriously going to give owners fewer SOs to exchange out than they are going to require to exchange in?

I don't understand it at all. It's intentionally confusing. And are the first 2 categories of points "sold out"? Maybe that's why the MF they quoted me were higher since you'd have to buy 2 different points packages? Basically you have to cob those different points packages together to get to 148.1 or 196 etc.

They didn't mention anything being sold out so who knows.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think the maintenance fees change from one season to the next so it is worth it to buy the best season to get the most bang for your buck.

My understanding from some prior conversations is that the Home Option MF are based on season, since its a different product (similar to RTU). But perhaps they changed that, too.

TDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they quotes me the wrong MF. I think those amounts are for diamond season.

What you listed for MFs for a 2BR is correct - its $3280 for a summer unit with $148,100 SOs. I did an update last week. I don't know about the amount you listed for a 3BR unit. The fees are even higher for "Diamond" season - in this new phase, MFs are not based on square footage, but instead they correspond with the number of SO's owned in the trust (Coral Vista is a trust ownership, not a deeded property).

They told us that they do have a few units in Diamond season left, but have stopped selling that season during the pre-construction period. They intend to hold a few of them for sales once construction is complete. So, for now, only the other two seasons are available for developer sales.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something changed then. When I had spoken with direct sales in the fall, they had quoted about $2500 for a summer two bedroom unit for 148,000 options.

December 5, 2013, 02:53 PM #109
okwiater

Resort season 148,100 options was $2518 MFs.
Resort season 95,700 options was $1915 MFs.

Last edited:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
What you listed for MFs for a 2BR is correct - its $3280 for a summer unit with $148,100 SOs. I did an update last week. I don't know about the amount you listed for a 3BR unit. The fees are even higher for "Diamond" season - in this new phase, MFs are not based on square footage, but instead they correspond with the number of SO's owned in the trust (Coral Vista is a trust ownership, not a deeded property).

They told us that they do have a few units in Diamond season left, but have stopped selling that season during the pre-construction period. They intend to hold a few of them for sales once construction is complete. So, for now, only the other two seasons are available for developer sales.

It's hard to imagine them charging a 150% of the BV MF for a smaller space. I think a 2br summer BV is about $2100

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
TDS is correct.

The MFs for BV are not dependent on season.

I am sure they love you posting that price-sheet photo... ;)

The MFs for the 3Bd will be the 2Bd MF plus the studio MF.

How did trip with Jason on Island Roots go?
Get to Maho Bay...

Last edited:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
TDS is correct.

The MFs for BV are not dependent on season.

I am sure they love you posting that price-sheet photo... ;)

The MFs for the 3Bd will be the 2Bd MF plus the studio MF.

How did trip with Jason on Island Roots go?
Get to Maho Bay...

Headed out with Jason Thursday morning. He only had two spots left. The morning after we arrived or the morning before we left. Figured it was worth waiting Til we were settled.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
In the meantime - taxi to Maho - far end. That will take you along most of the north-side.
Snorkel to Francis beach and back.

Check out Honeymoon and Solomon beaches (side-by-side) - if calm

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin StJ access from roadway

Starting tomorrow, 8/20/14, access from
The main road will be by keycard only at guarded gates.

PS for anyone who needs some WSJ love

FA54D7EF-651F-4076-A0D7-095A247464E7.jpg

From the tennis courts

05DA84A5-1BF7-435D-ACA2-46C0DFA9FB8D.jpg

Last edited:

tammymacb

TUG Member
Reaction score
New Owner

Hello from long term DVC members who have never owned any other type of timeshare.

We visited the Westin for a week in July and loved it so much we bought a 2 bedroom resale (hillside) when we got home. My husband have visited the Caribbean for years, and we just had the time of our lives.

I have a whole lot to learn (I'm fluent in DVC but the rest, not so much) but I rejoined Tug today to learn it.

TDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine them charging a 150% of the BV MF for a smaller space. I think a 2br summer BV is about $2100

Correct - the MFs at CV are about 150% higher than BV and VG. And despite that, it appears that they are selling briskly. I think it is in part because pre-construction prices are lower for CV and they aren't selling Diamond season now. We were shown prices for the BV phase and if my memory is correct, a 2BR unit unit was over $60,000, 3BR unit was over $80,000. And I believe those were in Resort Season. So, if you are focused on the purchase price, as many first time buyers are, paying $1000 per year more in MFs probably doesn't seem too bad if your other option is going to cost $20,000 more up front.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Correct - the MFs at CV are about 150% higher than BV and VG.

Aside from the lack of a full kitchen in CV, the MFs are actually what's kept me from pulling the trigger. I'm so confused as to how the maintenance costs are so disproportionately high for these units when they really should cost no more to maintain (if not less) than BV. And since they're brand new, there's not even any delinquencies built in to those MFs! I wish we had some sort of explanation...

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aside from the lack of a full kitchen in CV, the MFs are actually what's kept me from pulling the trigger. I'm so confused as to how the maintenance costs are so disproportionately high for these units when they really should cost no more to maintain (if not less) than BV. And since they're brand new, there's not even any delinquencies built in to those MFs! I wish we had some sort of explanation...

I just don't understand how I was quoted those maintenance fees in the fall around $2500 but it's possible for them to go up by almost $800 in just a few months. Since there were people who posted on the coral vista thread that they purchased many many months ago, I wonder what they were quoted? And, what the heck is the maintenance fee in the winter??? I was told by direct sales in the fall that the maintenance fee for Cora Vista would be about $1000 more during diamond season as compared to be Bay Vista.

When I questioned the salesman today about it, he just shook his head and said yeah, we don't understand it either.

PS: they were trying to get me to add on even a basic number of points for "just" $11k. It seems like I recall that the smaller the SO package, the higher the MF cost per point? Is there something fishy going on since the two largest packages of points in Resort season aren't for sale and instead you have to buy 2 smaller packages, increasing your MF? Or is that just crazy?

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I just don't understand how I was quoted those maintenance fees in the fall around $2500 but it's possible for them to go up by almost $800 in just a few months. Since there were people who posted on the coral vista thread that they purchased many many months ago, I wonder what they were quoted? And, what the heck is the maintenance fee in the winter??? I was told by direct sales in the fall that the maintenance fee for Cora Vista would be about $1000 more during diamond season as compared to be Bay Vista.

When I questioned the salesman today about it, he just shook his head and said yeah, we don't understand it either.

PS: they were trying to get me to add on even a basic number of points for "just" $11k. It seems like I recall that the smaller the SO package, the higher the MF cost per point? Is there something fishy going on since the two largest packages of points in Resort season aren't for sale and instead you have to buy 2 smaller packages, increasing your MF? Or is that just crazy?

You're correct -- the MF for 148,100 HOs in Resort season was $2,518 just a few months ago (1.7 cents/HO). However, at the same time, I was quoted $1,915 for 95,700 HOs (2 cents/HO). So we knew even then that there was some sort of bulk discount for buying a larger points package.

I think you're right, though; either the salespeople are confusing the MFs of Diamond vs. Resort season, OR the salespeople are stacking smaller packages of points at a higher cost per HO.

My guess is that Starwood has only a certain % of points packages available for pre-construction sale, and they are holding the rest back for when the units are finished and they can increase the prices. As a result, the salespeople are piecing together the inventory they have left.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're correct -- the MF for 148,100 HOs in Resort season was $2,518 just a few months ago (1.7 cents/HO). However, at the same time, I was quoted $1,915 for 95,700 HOs (2 cents/HO). So we knew even then that there was some sort of bulk discount for buying a larger points package.

I think you're right, though; either the salespeople are confusing the MFs of Diamond vs. Resort season, OR the salespeople are stacking smaller packages of points at a higher cost per HO.

My guess is that Starwood has only a certain % of points packages available for pre-construction sale, and they are holding the rest back for when the units are finished and they can increase the prices. As a result, the salespeople are piecing together the inventory they have left.

I went back through the CV thread and based on the numbers you were given for MF, I calculated approximately $3300 for diamond season 2br so that's strange that's what it happens to be. Nevertheless, I think you're right. And I bet that's what those two top packages are marked off as uavailable on the explorer pricing sheet. Won't be able to come
Back and get 148k SO for $38k, or if so, it will come at a proce premium. That will make resales tricky business!!

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

Smells like SVR - different StarOptions out vs. in...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hello from long term DVC members who have never owned any other type of timeshare.

We visited the Westin for a week in July and loved it so much we bought a 2 bedroom resale (hillside) when we got home. My husband have visited the Caribbean for years, and we just had the time of our lives.

I have a whole lot to learn (I'm fluent in DVC but the rest, not so much) but I rejoined Tug today to learn it.

Welcome aboard. As you, we love StJ as well. What week did you buy? We own weeks 23 and 24 - also own 2Bd TH villa (B34).

tammymacb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! We bought week 29 and I'm currently looking for week 28 also. My husband and I spend a couple weeks in the Caribbean every summer, and this was just perfect.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

Attachments

• Villa 1.jpg
    Villa 1.jpg