• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Three.

Standard rooms are at most 35,000 starpoints per night, so 110,000 package will give you 3 nights in a standard room at their top hotels. However, some hotels and resorts do not have standard rooms. Those may cost up to 90,000 starpoints per night.

Although that is true, there are plenty of top resorts with phenomenal rooms that go for 30K/night, which is reduced to 24K/night if you book in increments of 5 nights. Some of my favorite trips have been to resorts of that caliber, since I can obtain rooms which go for $1K or more per night for about half that cost using points.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
110,000 StarPoints however will convert to 330,000 Marriott reward points that you could use to convert to at Category 7 hotel + flight travel package. That would give you 7 nights in a category 7 hotel plus 132,000 United MileagePlus air miles. This is far better than three nights in a hotel room.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
Three.

Standard rooms are at most 35,000 starpoints per night, so 110,000 package will give you 3 nights in a standard room at their top hotels. However, some hotels and resorts do not have standard rooms. Those may cost up to 90,000 starpoints per night.
We rarely pay over 12k for an SPG night, most are 10k or less. We have spent quite a few nights at 3 or 4k. SPG and Marriott are both buy 4 get one free. Our most recent stay was 5 nights in a Residence in which cost us 35k SPG points which we transferred to Marriott and paid 105k Marriott points for. So, You could say we paid 7k SPG points a night to stay in a Residence inn. If we had paid cash it would have been $234 plus tax a night. Using this example from last week, my points were worth over twice what people in this thread think they are worth.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Suggestion: go to SPG - explore different hotels and their Category Level - and then go to Category chart to see the SP/nite. Keeping in mind Points & Cash, and 5th nite free.

We are about to use SPs to stay for 6 nites in NYC for 100K SPs in an SPG Cat 6 room. 16,666/nt
Also used SPG-AA bonus transfer to get 2 RT 1st class (nonstop) tickets from SJC to EWR. Used 80K SP iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion: go to SPG - explore different hotels and their Category Level - and then go to Category chart to see the SP/nite. Keeping in mind Points & Cash, and 5th nite free.

We are about to use SPs to stay for 6 nites in NYC for <100K SPs

Welcome to the 'hood.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)

We are about to use SPs to stay for 6 nites in NYC for 100K SPs in an SPG Cat 6 room. 16,666/nt
Also used SPG-AA bonus transfer to get 2 RT 1st class (nonstop) tickets from SJC to EWR. Used 80K SP iirc

But when comparing prices, remember that you do not get 4th night free when using cash plus points.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Three.

I think you paint too pessimistic a picture. We are booked for 10 nights all told in top-notch Madrid and Valencia Westin hotels for 88,000 starpoints, using 4th-night free. And we just returned from 5 nights at the Westin Dublin, for another 48,000 starpoints.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
But when comparing prices, remember that you do not get 4th night free when using cash plus points.
Bit you do earn 'nights' for elite qualifications and $/points for the cash spend so you can end up much closer to a wash.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I just booked the Grosvenor House, JW Marriott on Park Lane in London for 5 nights for 180K Marriott Points = 60K SPG points. Cost for standard room is $3600+. As MRP Gold or Platinum I get lounge access with full hot breakfast. Snacks, afternoon tea and light dinner with alcoholic beverages. We are doing a daytime flight arriving at 11 pm; I used my free category 5 cert I get with Marriott CC to stay at the airport Marriott and will go to the JW the next morning for check in and breakfast.

I will get great value out of those 110,000 SPG points. Interested in checking out the Westin Dublin property with my left over SPG points. We have always stayed at the Shelbourne (Renaissance) when we visited before.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow Pat
That sounds like a really good trip and deal!
Cyn

I just booked the Grosvenor House, JW Marriott on Park Lane in London for 5 nights for 180K Marriott Points = 60K SPG points. Cost for standard room is $3600+. As MRP Gold or Platinum I get lounge access with full hot breakfast. Snacks, afternoon tea and light dinner with alcoholic beverages. We are doing a daytime flight arriving at 11 pm; I used my free category 5 cert I get with Marriott CC to stay at the airport Marriott and will go to the JW the next morning for check in and breakfast.

I will get great value out of those 110,000 SPG points. Interested in checking out the Westin Dublin property with my left over SPG points. We have always stayed at the Shelbourne (Renaissance) when we visited before.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We like to stay at the Dolphin or Swan in the EPCOT area when going to the food and wine festival. Those resorts are both 10,000 points per night, but we upgrade to a balcony room with a fireworks view for 11,000.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We like to stay at the Dolphin or Swan in the EPCOT area when going to the food and wine festival. Those resorts are both 10,000 points per night, but we upgrade to a balcony room with a fireworks view for 11,000.
That is a good use of points also

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Three.

I think it depends on where you are going. I just checked for Maui in January and you can stay at the Sheraton Maui Blackrock (which is a lovely hotel) for 20,000 points a night. Or pay $379/night. (Jan 10-13)

Plus you can send the points to Marriott and do better than that. 110,000 x 3 gives you 330K Marriott points.

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the value in buying one of these? (I'm not trying to cause an argument, just trying to see the value.) As an example I checked the $$ cost for a 12,000 point room compared the cost of using 12000 points at $0.0165c each. The room was $162 cash, but the points would cost $198. And if it is a no-no to convert the points to Marriott...you can only use them for SPG hotels or can you convert to airline miles? I don't know if that conversion comes out any better. My understanding is for every 20,000 points you get 25,000 airline miles or something like that.

Can anyone buy a Starpoints package even if it is higher in price than for WSJ owners?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Question: when you make SPG points reservation, do you still pay resort fee and tax?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Question: when you make SPG points reservation, do you still pay resort fee and tax?

Parking fee if Valet is the only option, but nothing else.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Parking fee if Valet is the only option, but nothing else.

the point redemption only covers room and taxes, you still pay resort fees, parking, etc

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hey Tuggers - let’s keep in mind that this is the WSJ thread, and while SP value is important- this has officially become tangential.
Perhaps we can have a separate thread for SP value/boasting?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hey Tuggers - let’s keep in mind that this is the WSJ thread, and while SP value is important- this has officially become tangential.
Perhaps we can have a separate thread for SP value/boasting?

Agree ( and I am kind of the guilty ones!)
Let's see if Denise can separate out these posts as I am interested in hearing others experiences comments on SPG usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.