• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
<snip> All WSJ owners were permitted to buy up to 110K SP at the reduced rate of $1.65.[/QUOTE said:
I think you meant to say 1.65 cents per point.
We just received an email from Starwood that says we have until 31 Dec to buy 50K, 90K, or 110K starpoints at this rate. That equates to $660 for a 5-night stay at a category 4 hotel, $792 for 5 nights at a class 5. We have had little problem finding these deals in Europe, and we already have the Westin Palacio in Madrid and the Westin Valencia booked for March. We lover the Westin Palacio. It will be our first visit to Valencia. It's time now to plan ahead for starpoints stays in 2019 and 2010, I guess, as our total points on hand have dropped to 40,000. I think we will be buyers.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Interesting, I did not receive another email regarding the offer to purchase was open until 12/31. I thought it went away on 11/30?

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called to pay my 2018 due on this block, so I could covert to points as I am trying to book somethings in 2018 and we could use the points. I was told that St John Owners in 2018, regardless of conversion ability CAN NOT convert their OPTIONS to POINTS. We can book other resorts with StarOptions, transfer to II, or Bank the options. Their rationale is somewhat reasonable, but still kind of frustrating if it turns out we could use the points. Their rational is that if we convert, Starwood has no way to monetize the Options we give them for St John. They have nothing they can rent out.

Oh yeah, guess they haven't figured out a way to give you "someone else's starpoints" for your "non-existent" trade". They would actually have to pay to get you the StarPoints. Now, they only let you trade "nothing" for other members real weeks usage (starOptions) which costs them zero.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I’m not sure how reliable the information is but I was reading an article by Travel Weekly that was giving a status of all the Islands. For WSJ it had they hoped to open 3rd 2018. It also said all 2018 reservations were cancelled but that really is not the case yet.
On another SJ site there’s someone posting that it won’t be open in 2018 and there will be many changes to the property. A local said they walked by and said there was lots of cleanup already made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpc5473

Reaction score
Vistana has twice tried to bank my 2018 WSJ staroptions without my permission. First time, I thought it was a simple error. Second time makes me wonder if the no WSJ use is putting too much stress on the profits/system. Now, with the possibility of a 3rd quarter 2018 re-opening, it makes sense that they are trying to avoid a further stress to the system. I cant wait to see the resulting chaos. Im going to predict a partial opening (older, further away from the shore, less damaged units) placing their direct buyers from the newer phases into older phases and denying the true owners usage because they chose to bank. This allows for a way to market St. John excursions for winter 2018, too.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Vistana has twice tried to bank my 2018 WSJ staroptions without my permission. First time, I thought it was a simple error. Second time makes me wonder if the no WSJ use is putting too much stress on the profits/system. Now, with the possibility of a 3rd quarter 2018 re-opening, it makes sense that they are trying to avoid a further stress to the system. I cant wait to see the resulting chaos. Im going to predict a partial opening (older, further away from the shore, less damaged units) placing their direct buyers from the newer phases into older phases and denying the true owners usage because they chose to bank. This allows for a way to market St. John excursions for winter 2018, too.
We are booked for week 40 in our Virgin Grand pool villa. WSJ has not yet cancelled that booking, nor will they assert that the booking is likely to be honored. Instead, they have told us that we can bank our 125,000 star options (they will waive the banking fee) and that we will have until 31 Dec 2021 to use them. They also offered us the opportunity to buy 50K, 90K or 110K star points at 1.65 cents per point.

mpc5473

Reaction score
Some unsolicited advice on the points. Buy them. Purchase the 110k package for $1800. Then, convert the SPG points to Marriott Points at the 1:3 ratio. Now you have 330K marriott points. Next, convert the marriott points to your favorite airline's miles. In my case, when Marriott had a promotion, I converted to United and received around 157k miles plus a free week at a Marriott. In high season, a round trip direct flight on United from ORD to STT costs 80K miles or around $1600. Point purchase and flip resulted in almost a free direct flight to STT.

Do not convert from SPG points to the airlines. The ratio is not the same.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Some unsolicited advice on the points. Buy them. Purchase the 110k package for $1800. Then, convert the SPG points to Marriott Points at the 1:3 ratio. Now you have 330K marriott points. Next, convert the marriott points to your favorite airline's miles. In my case, when Marriott had a promotion, I converted to United and received around 157k miles plus a free week at a Marriott. In high season, a round trip direct flight on United from ORD to STT costs 80K miles or around $1600. Point purchase and flip resulted in almost a free direct flight to STT.

Do not convert from SPG points to the airlines. The ratio is not the same.

AA/SPG often offers a 20% bonus to convert SP to AA miles. I used this offer to convert 80K SPs to 100K AA miles, and then used the AA miles for two 1st class RT NS tickets SJC-EWR. Bargain.

Regardless, if converted to Marriott or not - 1.65c/SP is a great price IF you need them (put them to use).

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...illing-to-pay-for-starpoints-cents-sp.248944/

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
This is from FB - not verified - but worth knowing.

* Staff were offered temp work by the logistics company hired to do the work at the Westin.
* thus far the work has been cleaning and demo work to prep for construction
* with the exception of 25ish employees (High level mgmt, security, cherry picked team to serve food for the Logistics team) everyone else has been terminated and offered a small severance.
*the severance did not take in to account years of service.
*It was roughly the equivalent of 6 weeks for everyone regardless of 5, 10, 25+ Years. (Mind you many made minimum wage)
* when the resort re-opens people have the ability to re-apply with no credit given to previous service time at the Westin. Everyone starts at zero for pay and seniority.
* when you return to the Westin and wonder why all your favorite faces are no longer there the above will be the #1 contributing factor.
* the team from Cook Logistics is currently being housed in Bay Vista at the resort.
*it is unclear if the Westin was offered a discount on rebuilding costs as they are providing housing or if Cook Logistics is paying monies to the Westin for housing.
*brings the question of money coming in and how does this impact owners.
* mixed messaging on re-opening time schedule. Last Westin communication stayed July 1. VI Gov’t states October 2017.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It has been reported that power has made it to some areas in Coral Bay.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
* mixed messaging on re-opening time schedule. Last Westin communication stayed July 1. VI Gov’t states October 2017.

I have seen the October date floated in other sites also. I am glad we did cancel our July 14th check-in at the resort. I do not have faith that the resort can open on the 1st of July or that it will be close to 100% operational.

We have our sights on returning in 2019 and 2020. The 2019 reservation will have to be made a the 8 month window, but I fell highly confident of availability after the resort being closed for one year.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have seen the October date floated in other sites also. I am glad we did cancel our July 14th check-in at the resort. I do not have faith that the resort can open on the 1st of July or that it will be close to 100% operational.

We have our sights on returning in 2019 and 2020. The 2019 reservation will have to be made a the 8 month window, but I fell highly confident of availability after the resort being closed for one year.

From the WSJ Fall 2017 Association Newsletter - GM Samuel Hugli states "We are working with our contractors on the timeline for reconstruction, which may impact any existing reservations beyond June 30, 2018. Should this be the case, we will ensure timely communication to help provide alternative vacation accommodations."

So... probably wise not to depend on a July reservation at WSJ. IMO

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Does anyone know or heard if there will be any SA???

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Does anyone know or heard if there will be any SA???

Not sure for SB - the SB HOA letter did not state.

For VGV - see excerpt from HOA BOD Letter (WSJ Thread #2 - Post 2241).
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-2014-and-forward.213071/page-90#post-2058322

"A piece of relatively good news in all of this is that years ago we anticipated that a major hurricane might occur and felt we needed to plan for it as best we could. Vistana’s insurance policy has a deductible of 5% of the property value, of which our share is 5% of the value of our buildings plus 5% of the value of a pro-rata portion of the common areas that we share with the other timeshare resorts on the property. Among the first things we did as Board members was to recommend that we build a special hurricane reserve fund into our annual budgets to cover the deductible, so that if a hurricane did occur, we would not have to have a special assessment. We have all been funding that reserve for several years, and the fund will have more than two million dollars in it by the end of 2017 - nearly all of the estimated possible maximum risk to Virgin Grand owners as a result of Irma. As a result we do not anticipate that Virgin Grand owners will have to incur any special assessment because of this storm. Of course, to the extent that our insurance reserve is depleted in order to pay for damage up to the deductible, we will have to continue funding the hurricane reserve in future years to replenish it."

And the follow-up post
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-2014-and-forward.213071/page-97#post-2070419

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Owners,

As progress continues to move forward at The Westin St. John Resort Villas (WSJ), we wanted to provide you with an update regarding both the island's and resort's recovery efforts.

First, the beauty of St. John is returning. Our hillsides are now covered with new foliage, and our waters are boasting their beautiful turquoise colors. The beaches are making their way back. However, given the significant impact of two Category 5 hurricanes, the clearing of debris throughout the island — including roadways — remains ongoing.

Many local businesses have begun the rebuilding process but need time to become fully operational. About half the island's power has been recently restored. Linemen from the United States mainland and USVI continue working diligently to bring power to more homes and businesses. At the resort, while WSJ had been operating off generators since the storms, we are grateful to have received power last month, along with all of Cruz Bay. The governor has stated that 90% of the territory is expected to regain power by the end of 2017.

We're currently finalizing demolition, clean-up and debris removal at the resort and expect to be complete by year end. We remain committed to opening as quickly as possible. While we are well ahead of other resorts in the area, we still have months of work in front of us to be able to deliver the vacation experience you have come to expect. This is a monumental rebuilding effort with complicated insurance considerations, but we're fortunate to have skilled labor and the resources necessary to keep us on track. Reconstruction is planned to begin at the first of the year, however the resort will remain closed throughout 2018 with an anticipated reopening date of Jan. 4, 2019 (week 1 on the interval calendar).

Due to the resort's closure, Owner Services will begin efforts to cancel any remaining scheduled 2018 reservations from July 1 through week 52, 2018. Reservations will be accepted for arrivals beginning Jan. 4, 2019.

Although you are unable to occupy your ownership at The Westin St. John Resort Villas, we are providing an alternative to help you preserve your 2018 vacation. We have arranged with Interval International® to allow you to place an external exchange with the full trading power of your Home Resort interval, and Vistana will provide an alternate week of inventory on your behalf.1 While there is no fee to assign your week, at the time you initiate a vacation exchange request, Interval will collect its current exchange fee.2

For your convenience, we invite you to submit your request for Assignment with Interval International via email to ownerservices.usage@vistana.com. You may also contact Owner Services at 888-986-9637 or 407-903-4635.

As we focus on reopening, our Associates' well-being also remains a top priority. We have been able to relocate many to other positions throughout the company, and 148 Associates are still employed at the resort assisting in the clean-up and rebuilding efforts. Additionally, the ILG Associate Relief Fund provided financial relief, and food and toy drives were held to provide much-needed assistance and to ensure that Associates' children experience the joy of the season.

Again, thank you for your support. We will continue to communicate with you on a regular basis as information becomes available. With the new year quickly approaching, we wish you and your families a safe and happy holiday season and look forward to welcoming you back home to The Westin St. John Resort Villas as soon as we can.

Sincerely,

Thorp Thomas
Senior Vice President

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Looks like 2019 is officially closed at WSJ.

Not surprised, but good to know for those Owners that had post-June reservations trying to deal with travel plans.

I saw the letter on the FB page, but have not yet received an email announcing this new info.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I'm glad they did this pre-emptively. They will almost certainly need the full year. Also, it looks like we get to purchase another SPG points package for 2018 usage -- am I reading that correctly?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Looks like 2019 is officially closed at WSJ.

According to the email it looks like it will be open week 1 2019 and just closed for 2018, not sure if you meant that.

I’d be curious to see the 12 months out calendar opening up next month.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I'm glad they did this pre-emptively. They will almost certainly need the full year. Also, it looks like we get to purchase another SPG points package for 2018 usage -- am I reading that correctly?
It appears that way. But I already purchased the points package for my February 2018/Fall 2017!missed week.

Wondering if I can get one for my now to be missed Fall 2018 as well.

Edit. I am thinking I am not eligible but if you are missing Fall 2017 and fall 2018 maybe you are????
Confusing.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I asked this before - buying a SP package for each week owned. Answer was limit of 1 SPG package only (same as email excerpt below).

The email from WSJ posted above is different than the one I just received. Mine had this excerpt...

Although you are unable to occupy, deposit or convert your ownership, we are providing a choice of one of the following alternatives to help you preserve your 2018 vacation:

• Reserve a Vistana Signature Network™ reservation for a stay at one of our other 20 network resorts by logging onto vistana.com to book an online reservation; OR
  • Request Banking of your 2018 Use Year StarOptions® with no transaction fee (valid for use through Dec. 31, 2021); OR
  • Request assignment of your Week or Points Use Right with the full trading power of your Home Resort interval with Interval International®1 for use through Dec. 31, 2020. While there is no fee to assign your Week or Points Use Right, at the time you initiate a vacation exchange request, Interval will collect its current exchange fee.2
In addition to the above choices, you may purchase an SPG® Starpoints® package (up to 110,000) at a preferred rate that can be redeemed at over 1,500 hotels and resorts worldwide (package valid for six years from issuance and subject to the terms and conditions of the SPG program). Offer available until Dec. 31, 2018. Limit of one SPG package only.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Yes, limit of one SPG package, but is it per year? The previous offer was good through 2017; this one is through 2018.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like they "woke up" to Owners of Other Resorts being cheated from their ability to trade within SVN.

New terms:

Although you are unable to occupy your ownership at The Westin St. John Resort Villas, we are providing an alternative to help you preserve your 2018 vacation. We have arranged with Interval International® to allow you to place an external exchange with the full trading power of your Home Resort interval, and Vistana will provide an alternate week of inventory on your behalf.1 While there is no fee to assign your week, at the time you initiate a vacation exchange request, Interval will collect its current exchange fee.2

Prior terms:

Although you are unable to occupy, deposit or convert your ownership, we are providing a choice of one of the following alternatives to help you preserve your 2018 vacation:

• Reserve a Vistana Signature Network™ reservation for a stay at one of our other 20 network resorts by logging onto vistana.com to book an online reservation; OR
  • Request Banking of your 2018 Use Year StarOptions® with no transaction fee (valid for use through Dec. 31, 2021); OR
  • Request assignment of your Week or Points Use Right with the full trading power of your Home Resort interval with Interval International®1 for use through Dec. 31, 2020. While there is no fee to assign your Week or Points Use Right, at the time you initiate a vacation exchange request, Interval will collect its current exchange fee.2
Guess they are just waiting for the Class Action Law Suit to come.

Glad DavidnRobin got your 21 days in Kauai!

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Looks like they "woke up" to Owners of Other Resorts being cheated from their ability to trade within SVN.
[...]
Guess they are just waiting for the Class Action Law Suit to come.

Nope. The new letter leaves open the option of trading within VSN.

Also, there is no way there is justification for a class action lawsuit. Trading networks are not "zero-sum" and there is no requirement for them to be. Nobody's deeded usage rights have been infringed by allowing owners to redeem "free" StarOption currency for other inventory that has been deposited into the network. Functionally, this is no different than Interval occasionally offering 2-for-1 deals and free "Accommodations Certificates" which permit a "trade" without any incoming inventory. (Full disclosure: IANAL)