• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
The Sunset Bay HOA annual meeting was yesterday. Did anyone attend or did anyone learn anything new??

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Bumping..

Is there a way to get notes or outcomes of the HOA meetings?? I’m curious to learn about any discussion of the Sunset Bay hurricane damage.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
How hard is it to use StarOptions to exchange into Westin St John in the summer?

If I bought a June or July week, how likely would it be that I could rent it out in years I can't make it to St John and would the rental rate cover the MF?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to use StarOptions to exchange into Westin St John in the summer?

If I bought a June or July week, how likely would it be that I could rent it out in years I can't make it to St John and would the rental rate cover the MF?

When we went two summers ago, we found it fairly difficult to get a Jul date. I think we tried every night at exactly 9PM Pacific 8mos out, and finally managed to snag a booking on about our fifth or sixth try, and it wasn't quite what we wanted, and ended up having to make our travel work around it.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
March 2018

Dear Fellow Virgin Grand Villas Condominium Association Owner:

We recently participated as your elected members of the Board of Directors in the 2018 Annual Meeting of owners. The highlight of the meeting was a thorough, lengthy presentation reporting on the destruction caused by Hurricane Irma and what Vistana is doing to restore the property this year, with an eye to reopening the resort on January 4, 2019. The presentation featured many slides showing the damage. To view the presentation, please click here.

To view videos that were also presented, please click on the links below:

DAMAGE, CLEANUP AND RECONSTRUCTION

The damage to the entire Westin St. John (“WSJ”) resort is estimated to be about $120 million (by contrast the insured value of our Virgin Grand buildings is approximately $43 million). Only part of that damage was sustained by our buildings; nevertheless, there were no buildings on the property that were spared structural or water damage. The water damage was so extensive that drywall had to be removed in every villa, and in many units, studs and rafters that had gotten wet will have to be encapsulated during the next several weeks before the drywall can be replaced. Maximum sustained winds were 220 miles per hour with wind gusts at the WSJ registering 274 miles per hour before the wind meter broke. The resort lost power, and the building containing some of the generator equipment lost part of its roof and was flooded, but General Manager Sam Hugli and his engineers were able to get the generator going after only seven hours. 313 guests were on the property at the time, and all of them were evacuated within days thereafter to Puerto Rico to return home. No injuries to guests or associates were reported.

Vistana and the Boards of the four timeshare associations hired Cotton International, the world’s second-largest post-disaster contractor, to clean up and rebuild the resort. Since last September, about 300 people (130 WSJ associates) have been working to remove the massive amounts of debris left by the storm’s destruction and about 300 people (80 WSJ associates) will work in the rebuilding process. Hurricane Maria, on the heels of Irma, slowed progress because it dumped more water onto St. John and caused the closure of the ports of San Juan and St. Croix. Nevertheless reconstruction has now begun.

The aim of the reconstruction is to make our resort even better than before. All damaged drywall is being replaced, as are damaged ceiling tiles, soffits, doors, windows, cabinetry and lighting. The pools are being resurfaced. The exteriors will be power-washed and repainted. The unit interiors will be restored to their prior condition, with all upholstered furniture and carpeting replaced along with any damaged hard goods such as tables and cabinets. Snorkels will be rebuilt but we do not know whether any high-end restaurant will replace Knox & Ollie’s.

Your Board has been particularly thorough with respect to concerns about mold that may have grown on damaged surfaces in the days and weeks after the storm. The Board hired an independent company, Environmental Analytics, based in Arizona, to evaluate biological problems and report directly to the Board as well as to Cotton. Environmental Analytics had no prior relationship with Vistana or with Cotton. Its president recently spent a week taking samples on the property, and he will return at least two more times to make sure that the buildings do not present biological hazards to owners and guests when the resort reopens.

HUMAN RESOURCES

Vistana took a great deal of care to prevent undue hardship to its employees, many of whom have not only lost the opportunity to do their regular jobs for 16 months but also suffered damage to their homes. Staff associates were paid for a month without having to come to work, and after that were given the opportunity to work on the cleanup and receive their regular pay and benefits. Those who did not want to do this were offered severance packages and help in obtaining employment at other Vistana resorts. Each associate also received $1000 or $2000, based upon need, from a fund set up by ILG (formerly Interval Leisure Group), Vistana’s parent company. Vistana associates provided donations of all types of daily-use items as well as gifts for Santa’s visit with the children of WSJ associates. The resort donated discarded furniture and linens to the WSJ associates and also provided food and clean water to the greater St. John community as well as WSJ associates.

INSURANCE

As we previously reported in detail, even though our insurance policy has a 5% deductible, we do not expect to have to impose a special assessment to pay it. For several years, we have been building up an insurance contingency fund to cover the hurricane deductible, and this fund now has about $2.3 million in it. We also have regular replacement reserve funds that could be tapped into, and we have an operating surplus because the resort was closed during the last three months of 2017. Some of that operating surplus will have to be expended, however, to train new staff associates during December 2018, because some of the people who worked at the resort before the hurricane have found other jobs or moved out of the Virgin Islands. We may also have to make provisions in the 2019 budget for a one-time expenditure to cover some of the costs associated with reopening the resort next January. Any unexpended operating surplus will carry over to 2019 and be available to offset our expenses going forward. We expect to know more about the impact of the hurricane on our budget in a few months, after the damage assessment is final and we know the amount of our liability for the deductible. We probably won’t know how much the additional staff training will cost until late in 2018.

THE ISLAND

The resort is likely to recover more rapidly than much of the rest of the island’s infrastructure. Cruz Bay does not yet have electricity 24 hours a day. Internet service is very spotty and cell phone service is poor, as only AT&T has rebuilt cell phone towers. Some restaurants are open, but there are almost no tourists, so now that most of the FEMA workers have departed, many of those restaurants are open only a few days a week with limited menus. The public passenger ferry is running but the car ferry has very limited service. Caneel Bay was severely damaged and it is unknown whether or not it will reopen. In all likelihood, neither ZoZo's nor Asolare will reopen, but Skinny Legs is up and running. The donkeys, deer and iguanas survived; in fact the donkeys seem to inhabit the shells of the beachfront cottages at Caneel, while for the present time, deer graze near our own Lemongrass Restaurant. The north shore beaches have largely been cleaned of debris, but there has as of yet been no survey of damage to the reefs. We all hope that more of the island’s infrastructure will come back by the time our resort reopens, but the island’s recovery may be much slower than that of the Westin St. John. Click here to view a recent article in The New York Times on St. John’s recovery.

ALTERNATIVE VACATIONS

As you know from previous messages, Vistana is making special efforts to make sure that all owners receive alternative vacation options. Vistana is making its rental inventory available to St. John owners to facilitate exchanges at other Vistana resorts. Banking StarOptions from 2018 is free of charge, and the banked options will be valid for three years instead of the usual two years. You can also deposit your unit week with Interval International, but as usual, the exchange through Interval International depends on relinquishment by an owner at a resort to which you want to go.

OTHER BUSINESS

Aside from receiving management’s report on progress and addressing questions posed by owners, the main business at this annual meeting was the owners’ election of a new director to succeed Robert Werbel, who has served as one of your owner-elected directors for the last eight years. Laurence Pelletier was elected to replace Bob and we are pleased to observe that Larry’s expertise appears to be both significant and relevant. The Association and the Board passed resolutions expressing appreciation for Bob Werbel’s commitment and service. The resolution will be included in the meeting minutes, which is available to owners upon request.

A FAREWELL MESSAGE FROM BOB WERBEL

Thank you for your support eight years ago in electing Phil Schrag and me as your owner-representatives to the Virgin Grand Board of Directors. I appreciate the privilege, which Phil and I have attempted to fulfill responsibly on your behalf. You should know that in deciding not to seek re-election this year I have believed that it is important that my replacement have sufficient opportunity for an orderly transition while Phil remains a director. I look forward to returning to our resort in 2019 and greeting many of the friends that the last eight years have allowed me to make.
Philip G. Schrag
phil.schrag@gmail.com
Robert H. Werbel
robert.werbel@yahoo.com

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As an owner of Sunset Bay we have heard nothing at all. I’m curious as to what their financial situation looks like. How would we obtain such updated information??? Unfortunately SB HOA hasn’t had the communication of the VGV HOA.

Last edited:

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cubigbird,

Wonder if you email Phil or Robert (email addresses above) they might be able to get you in touch with the owner-reps from SB.

If you ever find out, please let us know.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Cubigbird,

Wonder if you email Phil or Robert (email addresses above) they might be able to get you in touch with the owner-reps from SB.

If you ever find out, please let us know.

I don’t think any of the other phases have owner reps. I own at Bay Vista and we don’t get as detailed info as VG either. We just get those printed standard sheets or emails from Vistana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It is great to have the communications and transparency with the VGV HOA - that was the intent of the original WSJ thread.

Based on what has been communicated, and discussed here - I would assume the all the phases had hurricane insurance. Whether that policy covers the extent of damage will be crucial. As VGV HOA has stated - the VGV also had a policy to cover the deductible. Not sure if other phases had coverage for the deductible. That is the key question to have answered at this point in time.
As to the rest - I think it is likely to soon for all phases will know the extent of the monetary damage - and the reason for no communication. It is just too soon.

As you can see from the VGV communications - all building were comprised with water (and therefore mold) damage. You can see the condition of the SB phase in the photos - totally damaged.

So... I think it is too soon for any pertainant communication from other HOAs to what this will mean long term.

This is my opinion and I have no info than what has been shared by the VGV letter above. But, I think other than the question about the deductible and final damages - it will be a wait and see scenario.

Those photos are crazy - some are of our building and villa. Sad to see, but good visuals of the incredible damage. Wind gusts of up to 272mph! That is insane!

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Those photos are crazy - some are of our building and villa. Sad to see, but good visuals of the incredible damage. Wind gusts of up to 272mph! That is insane!

272mph is only what was registered before the equipment broke!

Personally, I am beyond impressed with what the resort and the island was able to withstand. As has been mentioned many times before, the road to recovery will be long, and the island will never be the same. However, I am thankful for the many pre-hurricane memories and excited to go back next year and make new ones.

Also, I think it's worth lauding Vistana and ILG for their handling of the situation. This paragraph in particular:

"As you know from previous messages, Vistana is making special efforts to make sure that all owners receive alternative vacation options. Vistana is making its rental inventory available to St. John owners to facilitate exchanges at other Vistana resorts. Banking StarOptions from 2018 is free of charge, and the banked options will be valid for three years instead of the usual two years. You can also deposit your unit week with Interval International, but as usual, the exchange through Interval International depends on relinquishment by an owner at a resort to which you want to go."

I realize that non-VGV resale owners got "short shrift" since their only options were to deposit to II. But considering that all we own are fractional deeds to an uninhabitable property, we really don't have the right to expect anything at all. Owners should be thankful that Vistana appears to have done the right thing here, including relinquishing some of its own rental inventory at other resorts. Vistana gets a lot of flak on this forum, many times deservedly. But in this case, I think hats off are in order.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I absolutely love St John. We stayed at Caneel Bay about 5 years ago and it is among my top 3 destinations in the world. I am still depressed that it has been destroyed and may never be rebuilt. Even though there is a lot of uncertainty right now about St John and the Westin St John, we are optimistic and considering buying at the Westin St John. We are considering a summer week in mid June through July, mainly because of the school calendar. We do not expect to use every year since we live in California so we will end up needing to rent many years to at least break even on the MF. We absolutely want a minimum of a 2 bedroom with ocean view and could consider a 3 bedroom with an ocean view (but all we need is a 2 bedroom). I know only VGV/Hillside comes with StarOptions to trade within the Vistana network and that is certainly a consideration. We are buying to use so we want to maximize our enjoyment. Renting in years we do not use through a reputable realtor would be fine if we can at least break even on the MF. What do folks recommend we consider given our criteria?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
These are complicated decisions.
In CA? 2 weeks minimum.
You are overestimating rentability.
Maybe July 4th week (?)

We have been going since 2006 - 2Bd TH week 23- picked up adjacent week 24 in 2009 (1 week was way too short) - we live in SF Bay Area

The Lower inside (close to pool) 2Bd TH are the best (but I am biased)

Stay away from 2Bd Prem VGV - MFs are same as 3Bd pool villas (but these do not have views). Our views are great.
Looking forward to June 2019.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
These are complicated decisions.
In CA? 2 weeks minimum.
You are overestimating rentability.
Maybe July 4th week (?)

We have been going since 2006 - 2Bd TH week 23- picked up adjacent week 24 in 2009 (1 week was way too short) - we live in SF Bay Area

The Lower inside (close to pool) 2Bd TH are the best (but I am biased)

Stay away from 2Bd Prem VGV - MFs are same as 3Bd pool villas (but these do not have views). Our views are great.
Looking forward to June 2019.

Which unit types are the ones you're referring to and which building numbers and building units do you recommend? Do you own a two level townhouse? Would you recommend against the 3 bedroom pool unit? I am not sure which ones are the 2 Bd premium units.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
If you get a choice, low unit number in building 34 is the best (low unit number is ideal in building 32 & 34, dissect the unit number as follows first two digits is building, next digit is floor, next digit is the order from right to left from the parking area. My unit is 3210 building 32, 1st floor, 0 (first unit on right))upload_2018-3-27_8-4-57.png upload_2018-3-27_8-5-38.png

In my unit, prior to the storms, I could only see the ocean from the upstairs bedroom window, when I stayed in building 34 I could see it from the balcony. I assume in unit 3221, you can see the ocean from the balcony. In building 32 & 34 the low unit numbers will be in the middle closest to the pool/grill. In building 31 & 33 the high unit numbers will be closest to the pool/grill. Although in reality none of the units are very far from the pools. If you are a walker (my DH and I are) you will get your exercise walking to/from these buildings. Especially 33/34. But the view is worth it and you don't have to walk if you don't want to. I took pictures of the hill to building 33/34 looking up and down. Not sure the pics do it justice, but your quads will get a workout!!

The three bedroom pool units have private pools (So Jealous:p) but they are at the bottom of the hill and do not have an ocean view.

Gina

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Looking at the Villa Finder today, it appears that all WSJ availability for 2019 (i.e. through March 27) has been suspended. Can anyone else confirm this observation?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Which unit types are the ones you're referring to and which building numbers and building units do you recommend? Do you own a two level townhouse? Would you recommend against the 3 bedroom pool unit? I am not sure which ones are the 2 Bd premium units.

I can’t speak to your needs. I was speaking to our usage and experience.

The 3Bd pool villas are great - and the Plat+ season has one of the best MF/SO ratio. They do not have views, but very roomy and well laid out.

B32-34 has 2Bd TH villa on the ends of the buildings on lower and upper floors.
I would recommend the inside villas for my own reasons (noise from cars on road or shuttles turning around).

As we (me) are lazy - I prefer the lower floor for easy in/out and closeness of the pool/BBQ. (25 steps)

I didn’t realize there was no view in B31-32 lower floors - that sucks.

B31 has the 2Bd Premium villas- never have seen one and would be nice to have single floor - but has same MFs as the 3Bd pool villas. Not sure where in B31 that they are located, or if B31 has the 2Bd TH.

Note that VGV villas are fixed weeks (including checkin day) and fixed units - this is why adjacent weeks are great (no need to move). I imagine these are not easy to find.

Our friends have the exact opposite 2Bd TH villa to ours and same weeks - they found in from a STJ Realtor and paid significantly less than us.

I say the 2 weeks is better than 1 week - especially from the west coast. By the time you travel, get situated and acclimated (it is hot and humid in summer) - it is almost time to go home - in our experience - YMMV.
We almost sold our 1 week until the 2nd week became available from the Owners that we got the 1st week.

Also - check out the Jan 4 2017 drone video - that has clear footage of the buildings - especially B33-34 - ours is the one on lower inside by pool for the building on right (B34).

You could always just rent one during your vacation period, and check it out before buying.

Last edited:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Looking at the Villa Finder today, it appears that all WSJ availability for 2019 (i.e. through March 27) has been suspended. Can anyone else confirm this observation?
I noticed the same thing and almost posted as well. After yesterdays email I am worried the resort won't be ready by January.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I noticed the same thing and almost posted as well. After yesterdays email I am worried the resort won't be ready by January.

Did you see the drone video footage from Jan 4 2018? Looks like a safe assumption that Jan 4 2019 is doable. It may be one of those things that require certain approvals be attained before going ahead with reservations. Doesn’t anyone here have a VGV week during early 2019?
My June 2019 shows as available to reserve.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Did you see the drone video footage from Jan 4 2018? Looks like a safe assumption that Jan 4 2019 is doable. It may be one of those things that require certain approvals be attained before going ahead with reservations. Doesn’t anyone here have a VGV week during early 2019?
My June 2019 shows as available to reserve.

I was able to confirm my week 7 2019 already.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for the updates!

480 days until our next WSJ trip......too long, way too long.

Me too! Seems such a long time away. At least we have 17 nites at WPORV (from VGV SOs) and 19 nites at WKORV/Nanea to buffer the pain(killers!) :D

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I also looked in Villa Finder and found the same. Nothing is currently bookable at WSJ nor can you scroll forward any dates in 2019 past March. Might be worth a call to VSE to ask. Hopefully this is not intentional.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I also looked in Villa Finder and found the same. Nothing is currently bookable at WSJ nor can you scroll forward any dates in 2019 past March. Might be worth a call to VSE to ask. Hopefully this is not intentional.

Just curious- HomeResort reservation? Which Resort? As BV, CV and SB may have different circumstances.