• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are the Membership Types to see different resorts?

woj027

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, Wyndham Midtown 45
Those point would sell for several thousand dollars, at best. The current value of their account lies mainly in the VIP benefits, which do not transfer via sale but only by transfer to a relative.
this gets murkier and murkier as i learn more. When do I become enlightened with all the in's and out's of Wyndham Timeshares?

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Basically, you do not. First of all it is to complex and Wyndham tends not to be real timely in letting people what they are doing as it relates to their timeshares. They manage or are otherwise involved in many timeshare systems. A bunch of them they are the manager.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
this gets murkier and murkier as i learn more. When do I become enlightened with all the in's and out's of Wyndham Timeshares?

I think you have some pre-concieved notions about how this all works and keep tripping over them as you read the responses to your questions.

You have been put in control of a nice Wyndham VIP acct - but it is not the Golden Ticket from Willy Wonka.

VIP accts are nice because they provide some benefits from the developer that enable you to get more value from your vacation dollar, but when it comes to down to booking the resorts everyone is pretty much on the same level. VIP is not an Easy Button in that regard.

woj027

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, Wyndham Midtown 45
I think you have some pre-concieved notions about how this all works and keep tripping over them as you read the responses to your questions.

You have been put in control of a nice Wyndham VIP acct - but it is not the Golden Ticket from Willy Wonka.

VIP accts are nice because they provide some benefits from the developer that enable you to get more value from your vacation dollar, but when it comes to down to booking the resorts everyone is pretty much on the same level. VIP is not an Easy Button in that regard.

Oh, I didn't think VIP really meant anything more than a newspaper outside the door and maybe some extra chocolate by the bed.

I'm just trying to find out how this whole Wyndham system works;
1.how to get a good deal (if thats even possible anymore - in law talks about canceling 30 days before hand and getting an upgrade to a larger room for the same as we were paying before)
2. how to effectively manage their points (online shows different time periods with different values of points,)
3. What resorts we have access to? there are grayed out sites on the mywyndham site that folks have now told me you can only rent there by calling in and paying a fee. the Presidential status implies I have access to theregistrycollection, are there other resorts too?
4. how or why would i convert points to RCI? (in law spoke of doing that as well)
5. probably more questions once peel another layer of the onion.

Just trying to learn how to use the system, and the website is about as entry level as you get for information.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. You are talking about book cancel re-book. It's long term status is unknown given the other problems (weather, site, Hotel Group spinoff, etc). The safer way that has been there as long as I have been with Wyndham is book. When your discount window shows up, book a 2nd unit with automatic upgrade if one is available then cancel the first reservation.

2. Wyndham went to a system where they just take the points in their established pecking order.

3. Will defer to other response(s).

4. Go through the Wyndham site and do it that way or just call Wyndham and ask for the Wyndham/RCI people. They will help you.

- I believe using RCI is a waste of money.

5. Using the format you just used is probably a more productive approach.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Oh, I didn't think VIP really meant anything more than a newspaper outside the door and maybe some extra chocolate by the bed.

I'm just trying to find out how this whole Wyndham system works;
1.how to get a good deal (if thats even possible anymore - in law talks about canceling 30 days before hand and getting an upgrade to a larger room for the same as we were paying before)
2. how to effectively manage their points (online shows different time periods with different values of points,)
3. What resorts we have access to? there are grayed out sites on the mywyndham site that folks have now told me you can only rent there by calling in and paying a fee. the Presidential status implies I have access to theregistrycollection, are there other resorts too?
4. how or why would i convert points to RCI? (in law spoke of doing that as well)
5. probably more questions once peel another layer of the onion.

Just trying to learn how to use the system, and the website is about as entry level as you get for information.

If your in laws have an old directory it might be helpful to browse through it and identify the Wyndham resorts as opposed to the associate resorts and Worldmark resorts.

As a presidential reserve owner you have access to the presidential reserve inventory held exclusively for PR owners. You also have access to the regular inventory. As long as the presidential reserve was developer purchased that also makes you a VIP platinum owner. So anything you book within 60 days of check in you will get a 50% discount on the number of points needed to book. You are eligible for any upgrades on the unit sizes that are available at that time of booking and can request an automatic upgrade if something should become available. Right now the automatic upgrades aren't working as they should a great deal of the time from what we've seen but hopefully Wyndham will get that fixed soon.

Platinum owners have until the last day of the year to deposit any unused points into a future use year or into RCI weeks. RCI weeks will cost an exchange fee of something like $239 I think it is.

Prior to the new website back in May, as a platinum owner you could book a reservation, cancel it at the 60 day mark, rebook it to get the discount and upgrade it yourself then if something was available or keep checking for the upgrade to upgrade it yourself. Occasionally you might lose a reservation but unless you were in a situation where you had a 3 or 4 bedroom unit you absolutely had to have to accommodate the family, flights and vacation time already booked it was worth taking a chance. Since then sometimes people have been successful in cancelling reservations and rebooking them but the risk is significantly greater now. Now the reservation may come back from within a few minutes to anywhere up to 24 hours and sometimes not at all. The not at all part has been an issue of much speculation and discontent among us owners this year.

If you have been following the Wyndham threads you have probably realized that the inventory is pretty much a nightmare right now thanks to the new website that Wyndham top management insisted upon bringing out before it was even remotely ready. I'm sure it must be extremely confusing for you to see no availability at so many resorts and not understand why. I wish I could tell you something more positive but right now all any of us can do is keep checking to see what is available. For instance you could have seen absolutely nothing available for several months at any one or all of the five Orlando resorts but this afternoon, tomorrow or next week there were be a lot available. And the availability could even disappear and reappear again. Your best bet is to be flexible and keep looking several times a day if possible. Say you want to go to Orlando and all you see is Cypress Palms or Star Island. Go ahead and book it to make sure you have something if it means you can get a great price on flights. Then keep checking back for the resort you would rather have, say Bonnet Creek or Reunion. Unless you are looking for something that is likely to be hard to find, like a 3 or 4 bedroom presidential at Christmas/New Years, you stand a good chance of finding what you want. BTW after we finally gave Star Island a chance we have since stayed there a number of times and really like the resort.

At our level of ownership we don't have to pay transaction fees or housekeeping credits, so if you haven't already, go online and play around with making reservations so you can see how things work. It is an excellent learning tool. You can always cancel the reservations with no penalty as long as they are 15 days before the check in date.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham

I'm fairly new to the Wyndham system as well. the stick thread https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ndham-information-and-advice-articles.128302/
helped me. There are great people on this site to help you learn, but many questions have already been asked.
Your in-laws seem to have every membership type available; you and your wife should read up on them to see which one you really need/want. If I were you, I would look into just having the Presidential Reserve (PR) points transferred and letting the others go. I do not know how much that would save you on maintenance fees.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If he drops under a million points, I believe benefits of PR Reserve and Platinum would be lost.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
As a presidential reserve owner you have access to the presidential reserve inventory held exclusively for PR owners. You also have access to the regular inventory. As long as the presidential reserve was developer purchased that also makes you a VIP platinum owner. So anything you book within 60 days of check in you will get a 50% discount on the number of points needed to book.

Isn't a big percentage of presidential reserve inventory held for PR owners until sometime within the 60 day window? And doesn't that mean he can wait until inside the 60 day mark for any location that has presidential reserve inventory? That equates to getting every such reservation at a 50% discount. That's a HUGE benefit worth far more than the newspaper on the door (though maybe not as much as was originally paid).

This is definitely an ownership worth keeping .. has far more benefit than could ever be realized by selling it.

The only trick is to be able to keep up with the maintenance fees.

Bob

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Isn't a big percentage of presidential reserve inventory held for PR owners until sometime within the 60 day window? And doesn't that mean he can wait until inside the 60 day mark for any location that has presidential reserve inventory? That equates to getting every such reservation at a 50% discount. That's a HUGE benefit worth far more than the newspaper on the door (though maybe not as much as was originally paid).

This is definitely an ownership worth keeping .. has far more benefit than could ever be realized by selling it.

The only trick is to be able to keep up with the maintenance fees.

Bob

The PR ownership is a good thing and I wouldn't ever recommend someone give it up.

The percentage of the PR inventory held for PR owners is misleading, especially to new owners. A good percentage of what is held for the PR owners isn't actually desirable inventory. Many of the resorts with PR units have definite off seasons. Not many people want to go to a Colorado ski resort in the summer or the King Cotton resort in Edisto, South Carolina and Panama City Beach in January but you will be able to find availability in a PR unit. At most resorts if you can use a 1 or 2 bedroom PR unit you stand a good chance of being able to find something at the 60 day mark unless it is for a very high demand time. However if you want a 3 or 4 bedroom PR unit at say Bonnet Creek, that inventory will likely be long gone by then. If you have a 3 or 4 bedroom PR unit booked and attempt to cancel and rebook it at the 60 day window, those are the reservations that typically don't come back.

A good learning tool for me was to pick a few favorite resorts and watch to see what was available in the PR units at the 13 month, 10 month and 60 day windows.

Someone suggested giving up the Outrigger points. The Outrigger ownership has its own benefits so I would look into what those benefits are and hang on to at least some of that if you can.