• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is a MUST in your Timeshare?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Nobody else already checked into our unit.
LOL! We actually had that happen to us -- TWICE!

The first was at Grand Mayan, NV. Checked in and when we opened the door, there were people sitting in the living room. Awkward!

The next was at HGVC SeaWorld. When we went in the room there was no one there, but obviously occupied -- stuff laying all around including a purse on the kitchen counter. Good thing for them we are honest people. :)

Both times the front desk profusely apologized, but it makes you wonder what is wrong with their systems that would let this happen!

Kurt

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please add the resort must have security onsite and the unit must be clean.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Location, location, location! Kitchen or mini-kitchen next, if more than 2 people travelling second bedroom or murphy bed over a pull out. I will accept pretty much any place that is where I want to go. A lot of the newer fancier places just don't have as good locations, case in point Banff Rocky Mountain Resort is actually in Banff while every other timeshare is in Canmore. Although the units are older and small staying there saves about 30 minutes off the driving every day since most sites are west of Banff. I do love Canmore but for different things.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
For me, location is primary. I tend to make my own entertainment, so I don’t need high end amenities.

We spent a week at Ka’anapali Beach Resort on Maui this spring. I used the pool one time. We ate at on-site restaurants maybe four times, counting breakfasts. Did laundry down the hall once. The rest was window dressing. Nice, perhaps, but still window dressing. The view and location were tops on the list.

If I traveled with kids (I don’t) or wanted to only relax on-site, I’d demand more. I don’t golf, rarely drink, not into resort activities, and am not a huge socializer, so a lot of places are a waste of time for me. But if they’re in the right place, with things in the area I want to see and do? Perfect! Give me a good bed and hot shower, and everything else is variable. :)

Dave

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I didn’t mention the kitchen and that is important when staying a week. BBQ’s are great too. The only place where the half kitchen was fine was New Orleans. The food was part of that trip. :)

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We don’t have any “musts” really. Everything has pros and cons for us. Location might trump amenities.

But things that are major pros for us:
1. Full kitchen. I actually cook in timeshares, easier than going out
2. Washer/dryer in unit, mostly if it’s a cycling vacation (which most of our trips are these days)
3. Upscale feel. Shabby is not relaxing to me.
4. Excellent staff. So irritating to get the run around on vacation from employees, some people it seems delight in making things difficult or some resorts have policies that are a hassle
5. Separate living room. I wake up earlier than my husband, it’s nice to not disturb him.
6. Cable TV. For the spouse.
7. Reasonable WiFi or at least good cell reception.
8. Pet friendly would be a huge plus but alas a pipe dream.
9. Elevators.
10. Quiet.

Don’t care about resort activities. Pool/hot tub is a must some places (Hawaii, Mexico, Florida) but not others (Manhattan, San Francisco, Edinburgh).

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
My Requirements are as follows:
Full Fridge
Microwave
Dishwasher (I eat at least 2 meals a day in my TS)
Comfy Bed
Multiple Tv's (so we don't fight)
Washer & Dryer in TS
Near the Ocean (walking distance)
Nice Size Pool
Walk in Shower
Smoke Free
Pet Free
CLEAN

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
If the location is right we are happy to overlook many things. We like a deck with a decent view. Really, we are not too picky but we will pack up and leave when there is a problem that can't be fixed and we usually find better options.

One of our exchanges was to a Mayan Palace in Mazatlan. The room was very nice but the view was the lobby and lobby roof so we left. We ended up at the Torres with a fantastic ocean view.

On a different trip to Kihei we had a ground floor with garden view. I could have put up with the view but there was a roach infestation happening so we left. We ended up at the Kihei Worldmark on bonus time.

We rented a timeshare in Long Beach WA that had an odor. I was salmon fishing buoy 10. The odor got worse after it rained so we went home.

Bill

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We own a week at a pet friendly resort. The Pines in Baysie, VA. We don’t have a pet and have not stayed there yet. They charge a fee for pets$100.00 I think?
We also stayed at Berkshire Mountain Lodge that has pet friendly units.
Our first timeshare was pet friendly until two dogs go into a fight . One of the dogs belong to the manager and the other was a guest’s pet.
The following year, we were told they were no longer a pet friendly resort.
Silentg

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
When our kids were young all they cared about was if the timeshare had cable TV and a pool as we had neither at home. I looked for a timeshare that had at least 2 bedrooms (preferably with 2 beds in 2nd bedroom), a full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, laundry in the unit, at least 2 TV's and a good pool. If the place was near some attractions or an interesting town/city that was an added bonus.

Now that it is just DH & I we can manage on a partial kitchen and no laundry if its only for a week, but we definitely want a 1 bedroom, not studio, with 2 TV's and preferably 2 bathrooms. We rarely go in swimming pools but do love to walk on the beach if we are staying in FL. Good and free WiFi is also important now, as is a comfortable bed for these old bodies!

~Diane

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
On the ocean with a direct ocean view or ski in/ski out if a ski vacation. Pet friendly is high up there too except very few timeshares are pet friendly.

We stayed at a pet friendly timeshare. The owners of the pet friendly inventory had different rules than the guests using Worldmark inventory. During this trip I decided I'm good with my pet but not so much the other pets.

Bill

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We travel to spend time together has a family unit. DH and I work different shifts and we only have weekends off together every 6 weeks. Some of our trips are about exploring different locations - but most are more about being just getting away from the normal day to day grind.

My musts for a weeklong trip:
Full kitchen - we could not afford to travel as much as we do and eat out every meal. This kitchen needs to include a dishwasher. I may be able to deal without an oven....but there is no way in heck I'm washing dishes.

Resort Activities - since we spend a decent amount of time at the resort, I want them to offer small diversions to our day. We don't care if it is tour of the area or rock painting.

Location - YES....we do venture away from the resort too. But, I don't want to Day Trip that are far away. I want to be in area that has stuff to offer within a 30 minute drive.

I envision this all changing when the kiddo get older and we retire....

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
We travel to spend time together has a family unit. DH and I work different shifts and we only have weekends off together every 6 weeks. Some of our trips are about exploring different locations - but most are more about being just getting away from the normal day to day grind.

Yes, Yes, Yes! This is why we travel so much as well. I work days as an Ed Tech, and nights at Target. (Getting away the week between Christmas and New Year's is a mental MUST!) Dennis works all week, and then does community theater. (Cheaper than a red sports car for a midlife crisis....!) So these trips are our way of reconnecting as a family. I cook our meals, since that's a real treat for us.

Again...it is so interesting how many different purposes there are for travel, and yet, there's a timeshare for most of them. The trick is to find the one for your purpose!

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Timeshare musts for us....
A location that allows for interesting day trips from the unit
A patio, deck or balcony
In-unit wifi
Minimum kitchen containing burners, microwave, coffeemaker (for just the 2 of us a dishwasher not critical)
Washer/Dryer- if not in-unit then located nearby & free (ala Vistana Jensen Beach)
Bug-free
Decent soundproofing

That being said, next week we are headed to Chaudiere Lodge, an inclusive fishing resort on an island in the French River Ontario that is reached only by boat. We will pay to park our car for the week at a marina on the mainland. The only must from my above list that is guaranteed is #2 as we are in a studio unit with an attached screened porch. Don't need to worry about #4 as our meals will be included with the inclusive fee. Hope that #6 is a given and that #7 is moot in that we are in our own cabin in the woods!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds fun, Barb. Is fishing included? Enjoy!

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
That being said, next week we are headed to Chaudiere Lodge, an inclusive fishing resort on an island in the French River Ontario that is reached only by boat. We will pay to park our car for the week at a marina on the mainland. The only must from my above list that is guaranteed is #2 as we are in a studio unit with an attached screened porch. Don't need to worry about #4 as our meals will be included with the inclusive fee. Hope that #6 is a given and that #7 is moot in that we are in our own cabin in the woods!

You will be about 2 hrs north of me (& pass by my exit on Hwy 400 if you are driving up from Toronto). It is beautiful country up there and thankfully, now the huge forest fire just south of there, is under control as of yesterday. Take some good (Deet) bug spray as the mosquitoes seem to be hanging on longer this year, being especially bad at dusk. Enjoy your week!

~Diane

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I really want an updated, clean unit. A view of anything other than the real world (no cars, no equipment) is fine with me. Otherwise it's all about location for us.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I am getting so much entertainment out of this thread by how spoiled timeshare owners quickly become.

A few months ago we stayed at Wyndham Flagstaff in Arizona for the first time and had a two bedroom loft unit. Think duplex houses with their own driveways. We had a fireplace in the living room which we used every evening, a beautiful view of the mountains from the living room and deck and a hot tub on our deck right off the master bedroom. We've been talking about going for several months at a time to different areas now that my husband finally retired and he told me to make sure to include that resort and unit type when we come back to the area for a longer stay.

The following are our idea of hardship but all are resorts we have or would go back to.

Anchorage in Key Largo - No oven but the microwave is also a convection oven. Onsite laundry. We never used it the week we were there so can't comment on the prices.

Gulf Pointe Intervals in Naples - Again no oven but a microwave/convection oven. Free laundry on site with multiple washers and dryers.

Caribe Beach Resort on Sanibel - Studio has a Murphy bed but whenever we stay at a resort within driving distance I take my gel memory foam mattress topper anyhow so can't comment on the bed. My husband said it wasn't great but wasn't awful either. The studios have a divider you can pull to separate the bed from the living room area which is convenient when you travel with kids who have an earlier bedtime than adults do. We've stayed in a one bedroom unit and the two bedroom cottage there also. This is a smaller resort and the units were converted from motel rooms. On site laundry and from what I remember the one time I used it the prices weren't bad. Our granddaughter loves the the big box of beach/pool and sand toys and the bikes that are free to use. My husband wouldn't normally be happy with a studio but he makes an exception at this resort if I find a week when our little granddaughter will be here for her vacations with us. The first time we stayed there my husband saw an eagle land in the open area under the trees only 40-50 feet from the balcony of our studio where he was sitting having his coffee so has great memories. When we got a ground floor studio we gave up the view as the patios are surrounded by hedges for privacy but he was really happy not to have to carry our stuff up and down the steps.

I agree with OP about not wanting to pay for parking. When we stayed at Wyndham La Cascada and Wyndham Austin we didn't rent a car. Both cities have great easy to use bus systems and we both like to walk so we ended up not renting a car. On a future trip to either we would plan to rent a car for just a day or two to do the things in the area you would need a car to do. Now that we can go for longer stays which means we will be driving I'm really starting to pay attention to the resorts you have to pay to park

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
In this order, first 2 are mandatory
- clean unit
- comfortable bed
- walk-in shower
- at least a mini-fridge

I agree. We do like the partial kitchen that has a semi decent sized fridge, couple of burners, microwave and coffeemaker. A comfy be that is at least queen sized, but prefer king. We cook 1-pot meals on vacation so just 2 burners works for us. We tend to go to Mexico and W/D in units are not the norm, but we also go to beach locations and swimsuits are easy to wash out in the shower, so not a problem. I do not mind cooking some, but do not want to do laundry on vacation - I would rather be on the beach! :)

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I owned Fixed Weeks/Fixed Units at six Independent HOA Controlled Resorts. Thus my needs were satisfied when I bought. All I wanted was for the unit to be clean and available for check in when I showed up. Actually, I can't remember one time in over 10 years that my simple desire wasn't met...

George

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Requirement: A comfy bed with comfy pillows at the end of a long day (whether spent exploring and being a tourist, or simply relaxing on the beach!)

Also nice: a strong shower and blackout curtains for when I want to sleep in... after all I AM in vacation! We work hard and vacation (play) hard!

Of course cleanliness is always a requirement.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
As with many others we have our ideal list, but sometimes will compromise for the right place/location. First, the MUSTS:

Clean unit in good repair.
Full kitchen or at least a kitchenette with a 2-burner stove.
A microwave/convection oven if no full oven, if staying more than 3 days.
At least full 1-bdrm if staying more than 3 days...more bedrooms if being joined by friends or family.
King-sized, comfortable bed.
Washer/dryer...preferably in the unit.
A/C.
Beachfront or heated pool.
Good wi-fi on grounds.
Coffee/tea maker.
Smoke free...preferably entire resort, not just rooms and public areas!!

And then the PREFERENCES:

Top floor.
Good view.
Soundproof rooms.
If studio or 1-bdrm, preferably not a lock-off.
Open air balcony or terrace, preferably screened.
Elevator if more than one storey.
Free wi-fi in unit.
Dishwasher.
Separate shower.
Once or twice weekly (not daily) housekeeping.
No extra fees!!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Also nice: a strong shower and blackout curtains for when I want to sleep in... after all I AM in vacation!

Until you mentioned those two things I hadn't thought about them but they are most definitely high on our list too! I'm laughing about the shower because my husband was in the Navy for 6 years and to this day is out of the shower in record time. But if you want to start the day with hearing him pitch a royal bitch as I call it, just give him a shower with miserly output! I always bring a sleep mask for myself but my husband doesn't like using one so will get a hand towel out of the bathroom to put over his eyes if the bedroom is too light. I actually keep a clothespin in my travel toiletry bag to use to make sure the curtains are completely shut.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I never use blackout drapes. Even at home I have no curtains on the windows(But I do live in the woods). When the sun comes up I want to get up. When the full moon is out- I love how it shines through the window.

In both our timeshares I always leave all the curtains open. Of course, they are both in the mountains and private.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
When we used to travel with our kids, we had some really nice timeshare vacations. One year we went to Williamsburg. We met my sister there and had two timeshares one at Kingsgate the other at Powhatan. My sister took the train from Boston with her two kids and our niece and nephew.
We drove from Florida with our daughter. Our son stayed home because he was working.
Anyhow, we had a nice time, the kids enjoyed being together and we sawColoniel Williamsburg and Busch Gardens and the water park was a big hit.
In my last post, I sounded harsh about family vacations, we did many in the past and our kids and cousins still remember fondly all of the fun times.
Silentg