TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite dinner?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by JudyH, Jul 11, 2019.

1. jme

jme TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriotts:
    Grande Ocean x 6
    Barony x 2
    OceanWatch x 1
    Manor Club x 1
    Waterside by Spin x 2
    Sheraton Bdwy Plnt x 2
    ChurchStInnCharleston2
    "Chipped Beef".

Can be dinner, have done it a few times, but for me it's predominantly a Brunch item, and absolutely delicious.
    Not a low-calorie dish, sorry.
    It's simple but tastes more complex.
    Description would be smoked chipped beef with a homemade white sauce over a golden-brown
    (perfectly) buttered/toasted English Muffin.
    (Special brand of English Muffin, special type of chipped beef, special butter---all make for the right result.)
    It's better than any "chipped beef" in any restaurant at which I've ever ordered anything similar
    or of the same name. I test them just out of curiosity.

I learned by watching and remembering my Mom making it. I wasn't in any way going to live my life without it,
    so I paid attention. My Dad used to simply smile quietly when she served it, and offered no words except "Thank you".

My wife and children still love it like nothing else, but I don't get around to making it as much since we
    have been empty nesters for several years now. I used to make it each year on the morning of the finals of the
    Wimbledon Tennis Tournament, calling it "MY Breakfast at Wimbledon".
    Also made it on the Saturday or Sunday morning of the British Open Golf Tournament,
    and perhaps on a random special-occasion weekend.
    I also liked to make it occasionally as a surprise on a really cool Fall or Winter Saturday morning, my "no reason" excuse.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Glynda likes this.
  2. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    Chipped Beef? You mean SOS!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1Kflyerguy and chellej like this.
  3. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    Carne and pollo asada "taco cart" tacos. With onions, cilantro, finely shredded cheese, sour cream, home made guacamole, and salsa/hot sauce. Serve yourself with flour and corn mini tortillas.

4. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    My favorite is roast chicken, homemade chicken gravy over rice, and steamed asparagus. I used to make it once a week, not so much any more. Empty-nester problems. Now that you started me thinking about it, I want to roast it tomorrow. Except it's really too hot to turn on the oven. I guess that I will have to wait a few more months.

5. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Drool running down my chin. I might have to put this thread on 'ignore'.

CanuckTravlr likes this.
  6. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    Yes! That is what all of the firehouses called it in Denver, and it's good. I love it too. My dad made it. He also made black-eyed peas and link sausages, which could be any meal. I didn't like that, but I loved SOS.

7. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham, Bluegreen, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
    I've seen 2 different people in the news "caught on camera" so far... and by "caught" I mean they had themselves recorded. I got the feeling it was another one of those idiotic internet challenges. So, yes, stay away from anything unsealed in the grocery store.

klpca likes this.
  8. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
    Brewster Green (two weeks).
    Not fond of cooking, so the best simple dinner I cook would be salmon filets. I gently rinse the salmon filets and pat them dry and set them on a plate. Then I mix some garlic powder, dried basil, salt and pepper together. Rub the mixture on the top and bottom of the filets and add to a frying pan that after pre-heating, I added a little butter to melt and coat the pan. I cook the filets for about 4 minutes per side. Serve with a lemon wedge and steamed broccoli.

If I have a little more time, I marinate the salmon filets in a mixture of soy sauce, minced garlic, olive oil and Dijon mustard for up to half an hour. I tell hubby he's cooking again and he grills them outside on the grill.

Probably the best thing I cook came from growing up in the South and watching my mother fry food. I do great fried pork chops or fried chicken. I just rarely cook them anymore.

LisaH likes this.
  9. LisaH

LisaH TUG Lifetime Member

So hungry after reading this thread right after I woke up! For me, I seem to do quite a bit of sous vide lately. I like salmon with home-made ponzu sauce, and DH loves my lobster tails with saffron beurre blanc sauce and scallops with lemon glaze. We both like seafood, and I have had better luck with seafood than with meat when I do sous vide. Here is the video for making lobster tails. It never fails me!

Glynda and taterhed like this.
  10. PaulaC

PaulaC TUG Member

Love these .... tho' I make a red wine mushroom sauce for the filets.

taterhed likes this.
  11. 1st Class

1st Class TUG Member

This is a house favorite and everyone always asks for the secret ingredients. Well, the secret IMO to pot roast is in the gravy made with wine, beef broth and a little worchestershire, so not such a big secret. I learned a long time ago that a good gravy can make an inexpensive cut of beef taste like a tender rib roast.

Another favorite is roast turkey with homemade gravy. We have this a lot all year long, not just on Thanksgiving!

DaveNW likes this.
  12. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark

I know people whose gravy is so good, it should be its own Food Group. ;)

Dave

Glynda and 1st Class like this.
  13. OldGuy

OldGuy Guest

Resorts Owned:
    some
    DW's pan-fried breaded pork chops, mashed potatoes, and her delish gravy. Corn and green beans is standard with that meal.

To really top it off, one of her chocolate sheet cakes. She makes one every time we have extended fam here at the lake, like for the 4th last week. The first sheet cake disappeared the first day, so she said she would make a fresh peach pie. Everyone said No, No, make another sheet cake. It lasted just one day, too.

I can't believe I'm only four pounds over my playing weight . . . but I really want to get back in the starting lineup.

:cool:

pittle and Glynda like this.
  14. chellej

chellej TUG Member

Roast Tenderloin of Beef with mushroom/wine gravy, Scalloped potatoes, Sauteed Asparagus, Waldorf salad, and fresh rolls....Christmas dinner at our house

taterhed and pittle like this.
  15. pittle

pittle Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Luxxe
    Buganvilias Sky Suites
    Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
    We have two - the easiest one is the most healthy, but the other is quite yummy!

We like to grill a large fish fillet (any whitefish) and steam broccoli. We have that once or twice a week.

But for the family favorite, I make a modified baked steak that we had at an Amish restaurant in Missouri, I braise 1/2"-1" boneless sirloin steaks (you can use round steak and cook longer), put in a crockpot and cover with diced onions, sliced mushrooms, and a mixture of cream of mushroom soup and Heinz Beef Gravy in a jar and add a little salt and a lot of pepper. I cook it several hours. I serve it with Costco mashed potatoes, green beans and steamed frozen corn. Hubs likes biscuits, but I generally do the Rhodes rolls (grandson's fav) that I let raise. For dessert, we have coconut cream pie. It is our version of what "grandma used to make" - only better!

Glynda likes this.
  16. Ralph Sir Edward

Ralph Sir Edward TUG Member

Nice warm (by Texas standards) chili. (NO BEANS).

Good for any meal. (Yes, I <love> it for breakfast.)

(Recipe available on request. . . .)

taterhed likes this.
  17. OldGuy

OldGuy Guest

Resorts Owned:
    some
    DW also makes the worlds best chili. We shared a timeshare week in Estes Park with two Oklahoma couples, and DW mad a big batch of chili.

The first thing we heard from the Okies was, "Oooo. Yankee chili!!!!" Because it had beans.

My answer was, "Why do you think they are called chili beans?"

:cool:

18. Janann

Janann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
    Disney's Saratoga Springs
    I can't believe it took 28 posts for someone to say tacos! Its the obvious answer. :whooopie:

19. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    Well I certainly like many of the other meals, and have saved those recipes, I would die without my tacos!

Janann likes this.
  20. Big Matt

Big Matt TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I have two based on the seasons. For spring/summer I butterfly a boneless leg of lamb and season it with salt, pepper, crushed coriander seeds and oregano. I grill it over very high heat and let it rest. It comes out with some parts rare, some medium and with some good crusty parts. I make a true Greek salad (tomato, cucumber, peppers, dill, oregano, olives, lemon juice, olive oil, feta) and serve that along with pita bread and Tzatziki sauce (greek yogurt, dill, grated cucumber, pinch of garlic, salt).

For winter I make a cassoulet, but do a few substitutions from the classic version. I saute finely diced onions, carrots, celery, tomato paste, thyme, and garlic. Add white beans, chicken stock, boneless chicken thighs (instead of duck confit), toulouse sausage. I then put four small onion halves cut length wise and big chunks of slab bacon on top. Cook it in a 300 oven for three hours and then one more hour uncovered or until the juice is mostly gone, but the beans aren't sticking to the bottom. It is crazy good comfort food.

21. heathpack

heathpack Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt High Sierra
    Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
    Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    @Big Matt Im coming to your house for dinner.

You remind me of two favorite meals- rotisserie leg of lamb (made on our gas grill). A boneless leg of lamb, seasoned on one side with garlic, lemon zest and salt, and on the other side with cumin, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper. Rolled up so that the lemon side is the inside and the cumin side is the outside, then threaded onto the rotisserie and cooked. So good with tzatziki sauce and the sides you describe.

In the winter, I make a mean coq au vin. It’s so homey and delicious. I like it with buttered parsleyed potatoes and a green veg, plus some good bread to use as a sauce mop.

22. CO skier

CO skier TUG Member

You know you are cookin' when you cook with saffron!

Meats such as chicken, pork, beef, even salmon taste better with some degree of sear (beef and pork) or browning (chicken and salmon) due to the maillard reaction. Sous vide cooking does not reach a high enough temperature for the maillard reaction to take place. Try searing or browning meats for a few minutes after the sous vide cooking. It will make all the difference.

LisaH likes this.
  23. CO skier

CO skier TUG Member

My favorite dinner is osso bucco with pan sauce, mashed gold potatoes with beef stock gravy, green bean almondine; served with a Central Coast Cabernet or Syrah.

Crème brûlée for dessert.

It is a bit rich so maybe only once or twice a year on special occasions.

24. heathpack

heathpack Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt High Sierra
    Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
    Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    I went to Whole Foods yesterday to spend my $10 in advance of Amazon Prime day. I wound up buying a pricey organic high welfare chicken (I’m not even sure what that means, just that it sounded good).

I think I shall cut it up tonight and use the legs to try this Jamie Oliver dish.

https://food52.com/recipes/72191-jamie-oliver-s-tender-crisp-chicken-legs-with-sweet-tomatoes-basil

That will leave me with a nice chicken breast to roast. Giblets to cook up for the dog. And I can make chicken stock from the back, neck, and the scrap bones left from dinner.

I bought more grass fed ribeyes yesterday at Aldi. We’re going to make Lok Lak, the Cambodian Black Pepper beef dish, again this week.

So I think our week is shaping up to be:
    Sat- Jamie Oliver’s Braised Chicken dish, probably with a salad and some leftover focaccia bread from a batch I baked yesterday
    Sun- Roast chicken breast with roasted broccoli and a tomato-feta-mint salad, maybe some kind of grain like barley or farro
    Mon- Chicken and pasta with the last of the pesto, green salad
    Tues- Grilled ribeyes, corn on the cobb, more tomato salad
    Wed- Lok Lak with the other ribeye, served with lettuce and tomato
    Thurs- Hmm, we have some hot dogs sitting around, maybe grilled hot dogs and corn on the cob, and watermelon

Thursday is the end of my work week, so that’s where my planning stops. Friday the whole cycle starts again...

25. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
    Hi Marty,

Are you going to share your mom's recipe with us?

Thanks.
    Richard