• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What non-HGVC timeshares do you own

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
In addition to HGVC we own Marriott, Starwood, and Worldmark.

Ian

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to HGVC we own Marriott, Starwood, and Worldmark.

Ian

What's your thoughts on Worldmark? I am looking into Wyndham to supplement HGVC because I am on the East Coast. I hear Wyndham is not doing good things to Worldmark....

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
What's your thoughts on Worldmark? I am looking into Wyndham to supplement HGVC because I am on the East Coast. I hear Wyndham is not doing good things to Worldmark....

I love my Worldmark, but I have very specific uses for it (like I do for each of my other timeshares). It's a fantastic trading property in both RCI and II, and the property locations are very diverse, with some that I can't access with any of the other systems. Because you can rent credits from others easily, I use Worldmark for family reunions as well, because I can get a bunch of rooms using rented credits.

I don't love Wyndham, and their ever increasing fees. I just paid $100 for a housekeeping fee for a spacebank deposit into II -- it's crazy. But Worldmark gives me a great option to my other timeshares. Because it's probably only a C+/B- in quality (as compared to B+/A- for HGVC) I don't stay there routinely. But it's a great complement to the others.

Best,

Greg

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We love Worldmark. It's where we have most of our weeks (actually points) and it was the first timeshare we bought. Worldmark's system has locations you won't find in any other system such as West Yellowstone, Santa Fe, and Estes Park. It's also a great trader. We are in agreement with Greg and aren't big fans of Wyndham in fact, we think the worst thing that happened to Worldmark was when Wyndham purchased the developer/manager (Trendwest). But even with all the changes it's still the most flexible system out there. But we are biased, we are westerns at heart. Before we left on our one year full time trip international trip in September we spent most of our vacation time split between the west and Hawaii. In fact the the reason we purchased HGVC, Marriott, and Starwood, was to exchange into Hawaii.

Ian

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I love my Worldmark, but I have very specific uses for it (like I do for each of my other timeshares). It's a fantastic trading property in both RCI and II, and the property locations are very diverse, with some that I can't access with any of the other systems. Because you can rent credits from others easily, I use Worldmark for family reunions as well, because I can get a bunch of rooms using rented credits.

I don't love Wyndham, and their ever increasing fees. I just paid $100 for a housekeeping fee for a spacebank deposit into II -- it's crazy. But Worldmark gives me a great option to my other timeshares. Because it's probably only a C+/B- in quality (as compared to B+/A- for HGVC) I don't stay there routinely. But it's a great complement to the others.

Best,

Greg
Didn't worldmark limit the number of points you could rent per year?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Didn't worldmark limit the number of points you could rent per year?

Yes, only 2X your annual ownership but that hasn’t really been a problem yet.

Best,

Greg

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Just recently purchased our HGVC 7800 points (Elara) because I wanted to use it to get to NY. Our other purchases have adhered to the "buy where you want to go" advice, so when we wanted to go to Maui, we bought Vistana (SVO) WKORV in 2012, retail price. Everything else has been resale. We bought a Sheraton Desert Oasis (SDO) for II trading. Then we wanted to go to Walt Disney World, so we bought DVC (Beach Club Villas), and we added on the DVC in Anaheim because we wanted to stay at the Villas at the Grand Californian. Then we wanted to stay at the Hyatt in Tahoe and Carmel, so we bought Hyatt Incline Village. We usually always stay at our home resorts except with our SDO trader, and now with the HGVC Elara points. Just practiced using them to get West 57th Street for a few nights in March.
Just curious how your Elara is working out for you. I am considering Elara also. Thanks

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Just curious how your Elara is working out for you. I am considering Elara also. Thanks

So far, so good. I have a lot of points to use, but I've booked 3 nights in NY via RCI and 3 nights via the Club. Looking to book the Big Island for 2019.

Southegirl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbour, Grand Pacific Palisades
...I know this is an old thread, but... I have a question for P. "I currently also have a regular hgvc week and if I had to do it again I would get an affiliate instead. The affiliates have a choice whether to participate or not. I like that option that I am thinking of gifting my current week and getting another affiliate. My mf is $1113." Have you ever tried to trade your affiliate resort for a HGVC week? My sister has Grand Pacific Palisades and would like to trade next years week for another location within HGVC...is this reasonably easy to accomplish?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
...I know this is an old thread, but... I have a question for P. "I currently also have a regular hgvc week and if I had to do it again I would get an affiliate instead. The affiliates have a choice whether to participate or not. I like that option that I am thinking of gifting my current week and getting another affiliate. My mf is $1113." Have you ever tried to trade your affiliate resort for a HGVC week? My sister has Grand Pacific Palisades and would like to trade next years week for another location within HGVC...is this reasonably easy to accomplish?

She would just release her points into the HGVC system and book whatever she can that’s available. Panina would tell HGVC that she would like her points instead of her week. She would then book just like any other HGVC member. She would have had to activate her HGVC account for her week at some point.

Does your sister have an HGVC membership or is it just a Grand Pacific?

Southegirl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbour, Grand Pacific Palisades
Just GP, its a deeded week.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Even though I own affiliate weeks, there is a reason owning a regular hgvc week is beneficial. It will always be part of the system. Affiliates can leave, I can recall one in Sanibel that left hgvc and many owners were very upset. I own affiliates because almost always I will use them and not trade them. If my goal was most times to trade I would prefer a regular hgvc week.

I have used my points in the hgvc system for other resorts and thru the hgvc RCI portal with success.

I am not familiar with Grand Pacific Palisade so I can’t comment if it is eligible to be a member of hgvc. If it is, your sister would have to pay a one time enrollment fee to be a hgvc member, yearly hgvc dues and then she could deposit it into the hgvc system and trade like everyone else.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Just GP, its a deeded week.
Since it is a week in GPP and not in hgvc, you cannot convert that week into hgvc points. The only way to get into hgvc, would be to trade via rci. You could also do a private trade with an hgvc owner.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even though I own affiliate weeks, there is a reason owning a regular hgvc week is beneficial. It will always be part of the system. Affiliates can leave, I can recall one in Sanibel that left hgvc and many owners were very upset. I own affiliates because almost always I will use them and not trade them. If my goal was most times to trade I would prefer a regular hgvc week.

I have used my points in the hgvc system for other resorts and thru the hgvc RCI portal with success.

I am not familiar with Grand Pacific Palisade so I can’t comment if it is eligible to be a member of hgvc. If it is, your sister would have to pay a one time enrollment fee to be a hgvc member, yearly hgvc dues and then she could deposit it into the hgvc system and trade like everyone else.
Hgvc might have closed that loophole that would allow you to enroll a GPP week into hgvc a few years ago.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
We own in a variety of systems because they each offer their own attributes. However, we live in California so some of these may not be as useful for you.

Vacation Internationale - We are Prestige Platinum which gives us amazing perks but would cost a fortune to get now. Mostly Western US, Canada and Mexico. No housekeeping fees but a $20 reservation fee.

Worldmark - This ownership is extremely versatile. Something like 90 resorts now but concentrated in the west. Favorites include Park City (very limited number of units) and the Camlin in Seattle. People complain about pressure to do sales presentations during your stay but just say no.

HGVC - W 57th St and The Residences in Manhattan - sounds like not something your interested in based on your location.

Shell Vacation Club (West) - love this for San Francisco, Napa and San Diego - also access to Hawaii and other resorts. MF are a bit high but they are operating in expensive places. Have used their version of bonus time for midweek hotel room at Inn at the Opera in San Francisco for $30 per night plus $17.50 reservation fee (and you get breakfast).

Vistana (Sheraton Mountain Vista in Avon (Beaver Creek), CO) - Probably the one I'd give up first. It is a voluntary resort which means that the ability to have StarOptions, which are points that let you use other properties or other seasons and unit types, will not transfer with a sale. Anyone that buys this from us will have to use 7 days in the season/unit size we own. At a Mandatory resort, the StarOptions go with the sale. Bought a fairly inexpensive developer every other year summer week to get some ski days at Beaver Creek. Being every other year with a club fee every year makes the MF a bit high for what we get. However, we like the property. We also like that we got Gold status with Starwood and Marriott due to our purchase. Late checkouts (SPG) and free breakfasts (Marriott) are handy.

We also own Sedona Pines (Sedona, AZ) and Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN) for RCI points with low MF. Let's us do some exchanges, especially for skiing in Colorado.

Now that we are retired, we are spending over half our time in timeshares. Good luck on your search. There are a ton of options depending on what is important to you. I'm personally a fan of point systems that let me book what I want/where I want/for however long I want with no exchange fees but everybody is different.

I hope to do the same when I retire... have a couple decades to go though!