• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Resorts have hotel benefits with resale ownership?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Do any of the resorts owned by hotel chains, Marriott, Wyndham, Hilton, Holiday Inn etc. let you convert or use vacation ownership into hotel stays when purchased resale?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
First, let me ask you this: Why would you want to buy something (TS ownership) for $30,000 and $2000 annual MF's and turn it into $500 of hotel stays?

The real key here is this: Turning your timeshare ownership (points etc...) into hotel stays, cruises, safaris or ???? is rarely a good deal. Usually, it's a very bad deal.

Typically, points ownership can convert points to 'hotel' points but possibly with greater restriction. Typically other legacy ownership can NOT.
Interval offers this type of program with it's exchanges. It too is a very bad use of an exchange based on value.
I will say: Some have pointed out that very good deals can be had on some very elite cruises and other expensive vacations.....but again, it's not the rule and it will vary on your desire to spend lots of money on a particular activity.

If you have a specific question (HGVC or Marriott) please ask it. There are also FAQ's in the forum that explain the differences between developer purchase and resale purchase in great detail. Example here: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...y-hilton-club-booking-window-overview.274977/

This (above link) will explain the HGVC and compare some resort systems.

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
First, let me ask you this: Why would you want to buy something (TS ownership) for $30,000 and $2000 annual MF's and turn it into $500 of hotel stays?
Because there are a lot of times when we have multiple weekend stays in Chicago or Indiana or anywhere else in the Midwest besides Branson or Ozarks where there is little to no resort options and we don't have time for two or three weeks of vacation a year. And if I buy resale like I said, I would only spend up to $4-5k and whatever MFs are.
The real key here is this: Turning your timeshare ownership (points etc...) into hotel stays, cruises, safaris or ???? is rarely a good deal. Usually, it's a very bad deal.
This would be a secondary TS ownership almost exclusively for short stays or to let friends use/rent.
Typically, points ownership can convert points to 'hotel' points but possibly with greater restriction. Typically other legacy ownership can NOT.
Interval offers this type of program with it's exchanges. It too is a very bad use of an exchange based on value.
I will say: Some have pointed out that very good deals can be had on some very elite cruises and other expensive vacations.....but again, it's not the rule and it will vary on your desire to spend lots of money on a particular activity.

If you have a specific question (HGVC or Marriott) please ask it. There are also FAQ's in the forum that explain the differences between developer purchase and resale purchase in great detail. Example here: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...y-hilton-club-booking-window-overview.274977/

This (above link) will explain the HGVC and compare some resort systems.
Looked through that link earlier and couldn't find where it says much about resale ownership vs developer.
Enjoy!
I know that with my home resort, Welk, resale owners have to pay their own RCI membership and can't exchange directly with some affiliated resorts like Disney. Resale also has shorter booking windows and Welk has no hotel affiliates.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Do any of the resorts owned by hotel chains, Marriott, Wyndham, Hilton, Holiday Inn etc. let you convert or use vacation ownership into hotel stays when purchased resale?
It is easier and significantly more cost effective to use credit card applications such as Chase Ink Business preferred if you have a business or Chase Sapphire preferred for a personal card. Read up on the blogs. such as Frequent Miler a good first step. Read up on strategies to pick the best 1st card. Resale will not convert to hotel points and even if they did it is a very poor value.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you buy at one of the 3 mandatory points resorts through HICV (Holiday Inn), you can convert to hotel reward points. For the most part you would be paying $1000 in MF to get $600 or less in hotel rooms but perhaps you could find a very expensive hotel room that might give you 2 nights in a $500 hotel room.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Thanks for the info guys. And we are debt free besides our house and have 5% cash rewards on our two credit cards. Don't think we'll be changing that anytime soon.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Most of that is all sales hype and genius ideas for marketing.

Tater on my Note8 tapatalk

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is easier and significantly more cost effective to use credit card applications such as Chase Ink Business preferred if you have a business or Chase Sapphire preferred for a personal card. Read up on the blogs. such as Frequent Miler a good first step. Read up on strategies to pick the best 1st card. ...

Thanks for this tip.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
yup.

If you buy Marriott (Westin, Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton?) you can use the credit card to get 100k sign-up bonus and credit for all those nights stayed....
Quick way to a few free nights a year.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'll make a short suggested credit card list....
Ultimate Rewards Points are the best by far......unless you have a genuine favorite and frequent hotel or airline (that isn't UR compatible)

CSR is the best for someone who travels. Quickly pays you back.
CSP (preferred vs reserve; including business version) is next best...
Freedom (and business related freedom cards) offers a cheap choice but with limited transfer options

Next is any particular hotel/airline card that you would use repetitively (United, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt etc...)

Study carefully.....Chase has many rules about one-time bonus, number of cards etc....

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Not a fan of credit cards but we might get one for travel purposes only..... Thanks