• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What should I buy?

I’ve been offered a timeshare in Brazil on the north - Salinas Park Resort and it’s RCI affiliated

• Buy it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don’t buy it.

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

bbQueen

Reaction score
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
Europe

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Trade more than half

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Eua
France
Mexico
Greece

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
Flexible time

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
3-5

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
1,000 or less

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
Yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yes

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't mention where you live. We suggest that at least for a first timeshare, you (a) rent a few times to learn about different brands (systems). Then try to get one that is within reasonable driving distance from home. That way, should airfares become more expensive, or you should suffer a reversal of fortune, you can just drive there and have a nice vacation.

In your 'wish list', your top destinations are all international. You should know that most European TSs are not up to American standards, and generally, they are located in rural areas. And Mexico is so overbuilt, that you can rent there for far less than owning a TS and exchanging into Mexico.

Best wishes, and even free, I would not accept a Brazilian TS.

Jim

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I agree with the advice that @Passepartout has already given you. In addition, you haven't given us any information/details on what has been offered to you in Brazil. I just don't see how getting this TS in Brazil is going to meet your needs on where you want to travel. Brazil isn't even on your list. I would only recommend purchasing a TS if you are planning to using it at that location or within that particular TS system (such as Marriott, or Hilton or Hyatt, etc). I wouldn't use RCI has my main means of using the TS which I purchased.

bbQueen

Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of details. I live in Brazil, on a city called Belém, about three hours away by car from this new time sharing hotel that they are building. I am not really interested on spending a lot of time there, even though it’s a beach.

They’ve offered me a 4 week TS plan for about $13,000 to be paid on a period of 3 years and also a 5 year free of charge RCI association.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Living in Brazil would make that one more attractive, but since it's new, there won't be resales, and $13,000 is too much to spend. The 5 years' RCI membership is worth less than $500, so that's no incentive.

I really wish I could see a way to make timeshare as a concept useful for you, but I can't. RENT- or use VRBO/AirBnB! There is no buy-in, you can go when you want without having to book a year ahead of use and you are free to go or not go as you wish- no obligation, and no worries about hurricane or fire damage and refurbishment fees.

I wish you Good Luck!

Jim

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Contrary to your statement that "since it's new, there won't be resales", I will guarantee you that within 6-12 months of the opening of the resort you speak of, resale offers will begin to come on the market at 10% of the retail asking price, or even less. RCI membership is a plus, but is easy to obtain and is not a huge perk. You will also read here on TUG that most members now prefer Interval International (II) over RCI for many reasons, not least of which is that exchanges cost about 25-30% less than an exchange on RCI.

Previous comments regarding the importance of renting are very good advice. I would also advise that you purpose to spend at least a half hour per day roaming around the TUG bulletin boards to read and absorb as much as you can. You'll be surprised at how much you will learn, and that learning will help you become a smarter buyer with a lot more $$ (or, in this case, Brazilian reals) in your pocket than if you spent $13,000 on a new resort that will soon enough become available on the resale market.