• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What should I buy?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you @bizaro86 . I just found this sales on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARRIOTTS-...h=item3b2913685a:g:7rQAAOSwk3RbtODA:rk:4:pf:0

Based on this deal, I get one week in Hawaii with a 1bed/2bath for $2200/maintenance. This would mean $314/night for 7 days. for $314/night, I can get a quiet a few 4 star options in Maui during this time of the year. I'm having difficulties to see understand the benefit of buying this timeshare outside of just the emotional commitment.

I would buy a 2 bedroom lockoff, not a 1 bedroom.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Thank you @bizaro86 . I just found this sales on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARRIOTTS-...h=item3b2913685a:g:7rQAAOSwk3RbtODA:rk:4:pf:0

Based on this deal, I get one week in Hawaii with a 1bed/2bath for $2200/maintenance. This would mean $314/night for 7 days. for $314/night, I can get a quiet a few 4 star options in Maui during this time of the year. I'm having difficulties to see understand the benefit of buying this timeshare outside of just the emotional commitment.

It depends on where you go, what you buy and how nice/big of a place you want. I have a family of five, so a two bedroom is a must. My HGVC Flamingo has MF’s of $1049, or $150 a night. There is no way I can get a 4 star 2 bedroom condo in Myrtle Beach, Marco Island, Hawaii or many other places I can use my points in HGVC for that price. Yes, there are properties that require more points than the normal 7000 for a two bedroom, but the majority of resorts have the same requirement.

Like anything else in life, it’s all how you use them. Having a full kitchen saves on food costs. Going in less demand times, using smaller rooms, only traveling during the week can all extend your points. For me, it’s being able to take my family on vacations every year that we normally couldn’t afford. I couldn’t tell you about Marriott or any other system. HGVC has enoug locations (and adding new ones all the time) to keep us happy for many years.

Timesharing isn’t for everyone. You have to understand how to use what you have (something I’m still learning) and be able to plan to make it work. Understanding when the best deals for plane tickets and car rentals are. We have to know where we want to go 9 months in advance and book then. If you don’t think it’s right for you, then don’t do it. You won’t be happy. We didn’t buy until we researched and found the right resale deal for us.

Good luck! If you have questions, you’ve come to the right place. Take a peak at each of the forums for the different systems you are thinking about and don’t be shy about asking questions.

jays

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
n/a
Thank you @dayooper. We're still researching. We are currently very spontaneous about our vacations but over the past weeks,I've learned we could save quiet a bit of $$$ if were to plan ahead, even just 6-9 months. The tricky part with the timeshares is that there isn't a single site which just shows how may points you need for each resort, based on each developer. Also the ins/outs of resale. However, the forums here have been great.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Suggest that you spend some time evaluating the major systems in this link because the best resale approaches are very different.
http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/timeshare-system-comparison-chart.html

Once you determine your top system, then we can suggest the best approach.

For example, is oceanfront or oceanview important to you? In Marriott and Vistana, you will save the most if you buy a platinum season 2 bedroom lockoff. For example, The 2 bdrm OF/OV in the same Marriott resort has a MF of $2400 so that's not much more at $342/night but rents north of $700/night during summer and whale season.

Your Maui example is the most expensive resort in the Marriott system. People buy there to stay there during peak season and don't trade. However if you wish to trade to other locations, you would be better off in Florida or Myrle beach for less MF and trade into Maui during off season or special trips.

HGVC and Worldmark have different optimal approaches.

Last edited:

jays

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
n/a
Based on my research, the developers which would fit best our needs are really Marriott, HGVC and Wyndham as they cover the majority of our locations.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You will get the most bang for your resale buck in the HGVC system. It also is the most flexible for resale and tends to have lower MF. HGVC would be points so could do short stays. Con is not as many locations as Marriott.

Marriott weeks in Florida or Myrtle Beach could also be an option. Check in the Marriott Forum Stickies or on Redweek, but their MF tend to be more. Marriott would only trade in II week for week to week so no short stays possible. Avoid Marriott DC points as they are expensive and have high MF for the flexibility of short stays and easy trading which you can get from HGVC without the premium.

Wyndham is mostly 3.5 star quality and may not have the quality of 4 - 5 that you desire.

Given your budget I would opt for HGVC if the locations work.