• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to buy? NorCal + Kids

Sakedo

Reaction score
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
Any roads trip from the Bay Area

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
I wouldn't mind a home base in Lake Tahoe, but probably not for the majority of our stays.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Lake Tahoe, Hawaii, Orlando, Pac NW, various Intl

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
School kids

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
3+

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
Any

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
The lower the better but any reasonable amount

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
No, but I'm married to one

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yes

We rented a week at Northstar Lodge (Welk) and were blown away by the quality and accommodations compared to trying to cram five people into a hotel room with two queen beds. I have a rescind letter out with HICV thanks to you all and I'm looking at my resale options.

We take around 2 week-long vacations a year plus various long weekend trips throughout the school year.

I'm considering a 15-20k Worldmark package, but Welk, Hilton and Marriott all seem tempting.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on your destinations I recommend Worldmark in the range you are considering. It has a presence where you want to go and you will not have to wait for exchanges.

With 20000 credits you will get 2 HK tokens. Less than 20000 credits you get one.

You will have to plan thirteen months in advance for these destinations when the kids are out of school.

You can utilize bonus time, inventory specials etc. to get more value out of your account.

With my 12000 credit account I have been to Depoe Bay, Seaside, and The Camlin June and July in two bedroom units. I book a two or three bedroom unit alternating years in Anaheim during spring break.

I’m very happy with my WM account.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I would also look into Hyatt as well since HRC. We discovered it was impossible to get into Seaside/Monterey so we decided to own where we go often.Hyatt Highlands in Carmel. We actually own in 2 Systems(Westin/Hyatt/HGVC Affilate) because of our travel plans. Soo read all the Stickies and decide which would work best for your family. Because sometimes owning where you go often and then trading into the occasion works best.

tjway301

Reaction score
Love Hyatt Highlands Carmel. I've had the chance to sleep overnight there last year. I love their sunset lounge.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I 2nd that you should look at Worldmark and get no less than 20,000 Points. You have Windsor, Clear Lake, and several in Tahoe area. Lots in the PNW. 2 in Anaheim, several in San Diego. Also Hawaii, Mexico, British Columbia, etc. There are about 90 Worldmark Resorts Resorts. Worldmark also has several short Booking/short stay options - Bonus Time, Monday Madness, and Inventory Specials.

Sakedo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

My main concern with Worldmark is the 7-9 month transfer window + 13 month booking window puts us at 2021 before we could get much from it, but they definitely have the most resorts near us.

I nearly pulled the trigger on a great deal on a Vistana property on eBay yesterday (WKV w/81K StarOptions for under $1k) with the intention of doing II trades with Vistana preference, although their in-network mapping is far more limited.

I guess mostly I'm trying to get a sense of how viable the exchanges are these days. I've heard they're more difficult, but would something like preference make enough of a difference to consider viable?

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
IMHO you would be much better off w Worldmark than having to go through an exchange company. Remember, as well that you will pay a club fee on top of MF for Vistana if you have Staroptions.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club

My main concern with Worldmark is the 7-9 month transfer window + 13 month booking window puts us at 2021 before we could get much from it, but they definitely have the most resorts near us.

I nearly pulled the trigger on a great deal on a Vistana property on eBay yesterday (WKV w/81K StarOptions for under $1k) with the intention of doing II trades with Vistana preference, although their in-network mapping is far more limited.

I guess mostly I'm trying to get a sense of how viable the exchanges are these days. I've heard they're more difficult, but would something like preference make enough of a difference to consider viable?
I own w/in Vistana and Hyatt. For WKV, you have star options so you can trade into the System. Westin has mandatory and non mandatory locations. I own both based on my family needs. If I decide not to utilize, I can rent in our situation based on location. We also are in the process of closing on Hyatt in Carmel. Notoriously difficult to get in w/in the Hyatt system and still haven’t been able to land res for WM-Monterey. So if you travel somewhere often, buy where you know you will go. Hyatt btw has access to Tahoe.

Knowing that you stayed @ Northstar, I assumed you like the higher end TS. It’s why I did not suggest WM/Wyndham. Although WM/Wyndham owns WestCoast, it may or may not be the quality you want. So review the System Stickies.

In regards to Hawaii, Maui is often purchased to own and rent, especially the high end resorts. If your intentions is to hit Maui every year and you want the top tier TS, own at the location. Trading during high season can be nearly impossible.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You are getting great recommendations here. WM and Hyatt would both work well for you living in the Bay Area. I am a WM owner and used to own at Hyatt. We used lots of WM bonus times when our kids were young. We sold Hyatt after kids left houses and we no longer go to Tahoe during President’s Week. This was before it had a resort in Maui. Had I known about this, we would have kept it.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Vistana no longer deposits 2 bedrooms into II for any of the resorts that have lock-off, which is most of them.

Sakedo

Reaction score
Hyatt's resorts look nice but the strong home resort preference gives me pause. Would 2200 HRC points be a reasonable alternative to WM if they can be picked up for cheap but at a resort I may never visit?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I
Is that why some other threads recommend SBP even though it's not one of the mandatory ones?
Since WestCoast, I would pick up SDO instead. You can trade as 2 separate rooms or rent.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Yes, you need at least 2000. So Platinum season. Your cheapest option is Hyatt Pinion Pointe in Sedona.
As many would suggest, rent in the various Systems before you buy.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m an owner of both Hyatt(3760 points)and WM(12000 credits). I’m very happy with both.

My Hyatt points give me almost three weeks in a two bedroom unit in II and on average four four day midweek stays plus another two day midweek stay if I use them all in Hyatt. An II gold membership is included in your MF’s.

My WM credits get me one week in a three bedroom at most locations. If I need more credits I can purchase them from other owners or borrow from next year’s batch. But I use IS, MM, and BT a lot. I usually have 5/6 reservations pending at any given time. I have never used my credits outside of the WM system.

With Hyatt I have to rely on others depositing their weeks for me to use my points. Or I have to rely on II exchanges. I have stayed multiple times at Highlands Inn, Northstar Lodge, High Sierra, and Piñon Pointe. All are fantastic. All are difficult to book during school breaks except Piñon Pointe.

The nice thing about WM is I see the inventory in real time and I know what is available. There are many places available in California and the Pacific Northwest to stay. Yes Depoe Bay, Seaside, Eagle Crest, South Shore and a few other places can be hard to book in the summer. All three WM’s in San Diego are easy year round unless you want to go to Comic-con. Indio is easy unless you are planning to attend Coachella or Stagecoach. I like Windsor and Angels Camp for getaways and both are usually available. Weekends can be hard at Windsor especially in the nicer units.

Both systems are good but WM is easier to use and the MF’s are less expensive and you don’t have to use and pay for II or RCI to trade. Trading in both adds between $200-300 to your cost of a week.

Good thing you are doing your research but as I found out I didn’t understand how to use the systems until I was an owner and I just played around on the websites. Keep asking questions and it should help you make your decision. Or do like me and purchase both.

gratiem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Ka'anapali, Hyatt Highlands, Riviera Beach & Spa
First of all, nicely done rescinding the purchase at Welk.

This thread is providing a lot of useful information, and I'd reiterate renting before buying.

And while it's tempting to buy now (I just bought recently, waiting for ROFR), based on the discussions on the the board, Fall and Winter will generally have better deals.

Sakedo

Reaction score
Thanks, all!

I'm prowling eBay for deals. I'm happy to be patient, and I've rented at a few places already. I'll probably pick up something sooner than later because otherwise I'll end up hyper-focusing on it instead of doing things like my job :)

I'll probably do something like:
10-20k WM for family vacations as a hotel alternative whenever we end up going.

Maybe supplemented with an EOY for quality memory "big" vacations like:
* 2200 Hyatt
* 7200-8400 HGVC
* Vistana "mandatory" @ 81K SO / SDO

Are people usually successful at renting out extra weeks if you find yourself with more than you need for a year?

Update: I just snagged 10K WM points for $0.13/pt!

Last edited:

gratiem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm prowling eBay for deals. I'm happy to be patient, and I've rented at a few places already. I'll probably pick up something sooner than later because otherwise I'll end up hyper-focusing on it instead of doing things like my job :)

That's me, too!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks, all!

I'll probably do something like:
10-20k WM for family vacations as a hotel alternative whenever we end up going.

Maybe supplemented with an EOY for quality memory "big" vacations like:
* 2200 Hyatt
* 7200-8400 HGVC
* Vistana "mandatory" @ 81K SO / SDO

Are people usually successful at renting out extra weeks if you find yourself with more than you need for a year?

Update: I just snagged 10K WM points for $0.13/pt!

I am an HGVC/Vistana owner.

If you are considering HGVC for your "big" vacation, then also consider 7k points in Vegas for trading (2 bdrm platinum at Blvd, Paradise, Elara or Flamingo) for best MF/point ratio. The buy-in premium at 7,200 - 8,400 level may not be worth it and the MF are higher. Because it is easy to bank/borrow in HGVC you can easily combine to bank/borrow an annual to get 21k points every 3 years or 14,000 every 2 years. More than enough to book a 9600 OF or 12,500 2bdrm deluxe in Hawaii for a week or flexibility to extend/shorten by a few days or do multiple long weekends over several years. Do the math to compare if the extra 200 or 1800 points a year are worth it given your needs. With HGVC you will have more control over your view options and length of stay. You will be able to get into Big Island but may have issues on Oahu during summer. Especially if you don't reserve at midnight 9 months prior when the rental window opens.

Unless you buy a Mandatory Property (Westin WKV, WKORV, WKORVN, Harborside, or SVV (Bella or Key West sections only)) which can trade Staroptions, the Vistana SDO option will be week-long trades only in II and you will be last priority for view preference i.e. your fixed week check in day (with higher airfare) could be bottom floor looking at a parking lot view in Hawaii. You also will be rolling the dice on getting into Hawaii during school breaks. Will that work for you?

Both Vistana and HGVC are 4+ star accommodations with high quality but offer few/no options within driving distance from the Bay Area.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
Any roads trip from the Bay Area

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
I wouldn't mind a home base in Lake Tahoe, but probably not for the majority of our stays.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Lake Tahoe, Hawaii, Orlando, Pac NW, various Intl

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
School kids

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
3+

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
Any

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
The lower the better but any reasonable amount

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
No, but I'm married to one

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yes

We rented a week at Northstar Lodge (Welk) and were blown away by the quality and accommodations compared to trying to cram five people into a hotel room with two queen beds. I have a rescind letter out with HICV thanks to you all and I'm looking at my resale options.

We take around 2 week-long vacations a year plus various long weekend trips throughout the school year.

I'm considering a 15-20k Worldmark package, but Welk, Hilton and Marriott all seem tempting.

If you don’t mind my asking, what was the price of the rescinded TS?

Sakedo

Reaction score
I am an HGVC/Vistana owner.

If you are considering HGVC for your "big" vacation, then also consider 7k points in Vegas for trading (2 bdrm platinum at Blvd, Paradise, Elara or Flamingo) for best MF/point ratio. The buy-in premium at 7,200 - 8,400 level may not be worth it and the MF are higher. Because it is easy to bank/borrow in HGVC you can easily combine to bank/borrow an annual to get 21k points every 3 years or 14,000 every 2 years. More than enough to book a 9600 OF or 12,500 2bdrm deluxe in Hawaii for a week or flexibility to extend/shorten by a few days or do multiple long weekends over several years. Do the math to compare if the extra 200 or 1800 points a year are worth it given your needs. With HGVC you will have more control over your view options and length of stay. You will be able to get into Big Island but may have issues on Oahu during summer. Especially if you don't reserve at midnight 9 months prior when the rental window opens.

Unless you buy a Mandatory Property (Westin WKV, WKORV, WKORVN, Harborside, or SVV (Bella or Key West sections only)) which can trade Staroptions, the Vistana SDO option will be week-long trades only in II and you will be last priority for view preference i.e. your fixed week check in day (with higher airfare) could be bottom floor looking at a parking lot view in Hawaii. You also will be rolling the dice on getting into Hawaii during school breaks. Will that work for you?

Both Vistana and HGVC are 4+ star accommodations with high quality but offer few/no options within driving distance from the Bay Area.

It sounds like HGVC will work better than Vistana and has less uncertainty in the program from the buyout. Maybe 4800-7000 HGVC are the better plan. We're no strangers to air travel

Sakedo

Reaction score
If you don’t mind my asking, what was the price of the rescinded TS?

It was 100,000 Holiday Inn Club Vacation points at Las Vegas for $19,820.50. We were originally looking at 200k for a little more (I think another 8K over that) but elected to try at 100k with a price lock to upgrade by paying the difference on the two for 12 months. They mostly sold the value of RCI and the value of their travel discounts (up to 40% off airfare etc)

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
It sounds like HGVC will work better than Vistana and has less uncertainty in the program from the buyout. Maybe 4800-7000 HGVC are the better plan. We're no strangers to air travel

I’m an HGVC owner and I would suggest the 7000 point 2 bedroom platinum at The Flamingo, Paradise or The Boulevard (On the Strip). If you went with Elara, I would suggest a 1 bedroom Grand or grand plus worth 7000 and 7800 respectively. If you do go with a 4800 1 bedroom platinum, avoid The Flamingo. The MF’s are very high (almost $940 while my 2 bedroom is $1049).

HGVC is an incredibly flexible system. Resale owners have the same booking windows and privileges as owners that bought from the developer. Resale buyers can’t use their points for Elite status, but most say it’s not worth the money. Just make sure HGVC has resorts where you want to go. They trade in RCI, but the value is with HGVC resorts. Good luck! Take a peek at both the Vistana and HGVC forums for more info.

gratiem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Personally I have not found it easy to trade into holiday schedules for school kids, though my primary trader has been a gifted TS at Riviera Beach & Spa, and been trading in II. Pre kids, it wasn't an issue as we had flexibility in schedule. Now with kids, we kinda book whatever comes available (or lose usage).

We are happy Hyatt owners, but we have not traded it yet. Our unit is 1450 points, so options are more limited. I currently see 2200 point 2BR unit in Key West for President's Day week, but not possible for us.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your WM purchase. You don't have to wait til 2021, I assure you. I know the transfer times may be long at the moment, but as soon as you get it, you can reserve anything that you see available online with your credits, and when there are cash specials, you will find it makes sense to reserve those for shorter stays. While you may reserve 13 months in advance, very few resorts require that level of planning.
Feel free to join us at
www.WMowners.com/forum/
I also live in the SF Bay area. There are many drive-to resorts, so we have enjoyed our ownership.