• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do with timeshare when getting divorced.

CarolynS

Reaction score
Me and my soon to be ex bought a timeshare on e-bay a few years back. We got it for a great deal so I am not to worried about taking a big loss. I don't care if he gets it or I get it or we sell it, I just want it not to be a joint ownership where we have to make decisions together. So if I give it to him what steps do we need to take to remove my name? I realize there is info on tug to sell a timeshare but is it different since it is a divorce?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
CarolynS said:
Me and my soon to be ex bought a timeshare on e-bay a few years back. We got it for a great deal so I am not to worried about taking a big loss. I don't care if he gets it or I get it or we sell it, I just want it not to be a joint ownership where we have to make decisions together. So if I give it to him what steps do we need to take to remove my name? I realize there is info on tug to sell a timeshare but is it different since it is a divorce?

Assuming this is a deeded property in the US, this is the perfect situation to use a quit claim deed. In a quit claim deed, the executor of the deed relinquishes any and all ownership claims they might have to the property in favor of the person named in the quit claim. The quit claim then needs to get filed with the appropriate recorder of deeds where the timeshare is located. The person who takes ownership also needs to follow up with the resort to have the ex's name removed from the resort records. Usually the resort will want to see a copy of the filed quit claim.

If it's not a deeded property, then contact the resort to determine the appropriate procedures to follow to remove the ex's name from the ownership records.

==============

You didn't ask about valuation, but I'll throw something in anyway. You're probably better off having one partner or the other take the timeshare instead of trying to sell it. Here's one way to establish a price for the timeshare for purposes of dividing the property.

One of the parties (Party A) sets a price for the timeshare. The other party (Party B) then has the option of either taking the timeshare or declining the timeshare. If B takes the timeshare, in the property settlement B is credited with having received an asset with the value proposed by A. If B declines the timeshare, then A receives the timeshare and is credited with receiving assets worth the value that A suggested.

This approach should result in the asset going to the party for which it has the most value, at a price the party that receives it believes to be a fair price. The same approach will work with almost any other item that could reasonably go to one party or the other.

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
At the time my ex and I split a couple of years ago, we had two timeshares, both in joint name. We agreed to each take one of them.

I worked out a deal with one of the often-used (by TUGgers) timeshare closing companies to handle the changes in title, including preparing the deeds, getting signatures, recording the deeds and notifying the resorts for a fee equal to one normal closing on a sale.

It was cheaper than having attorneys do it and we weren't all that comfortable with how to do it ourselves.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My ex and I owned two timeshares. We used quit claim deeds to transfer ownership on both of them. The only "problem" I still have is on the tax bill for the one I own still has my old married name.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Luanne -

That sounds to me as though you didn't follow through to have the new deed recorded. It's a good idea to do that, even if you trust your ex.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Dave M said:
Luanne -

That sounds to me as though you didn't follow through to have the new deed recorded. It's a good idea to do that, even if you trust your ex.

Well, his name isn't on it, just mine (and my parents as we owned jointly with them). I had tried to get the name changed and don't remember at this point what steps I went through (it was around 25 years ago). I do have copies of the divorce decree if I ever need to show that I changed my name.

mdmbdumont

TUG Member
Reaction score
But they take that check for the taxes every year :rolleyes: regardless of whose name is on the check :eek:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
mdmbdumont said:
But they take that check for the taxes every year :rolleyes: regardless of whose name is on the check :eek:

You bet! :rolleyes:

Hatrack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your misfortune.

Your'e fortunate you bought a resale priced TS. There are cases where the couple bought the $25k developer week, still owe $15k on the loan at 14% interest. In reality, its' worth $5k resale.

One spouse "lets" the other keep the TS and the $10k of alledged equity. The truth is, they owe $15k on a timeshare worth $5k; negative $10k 'equity(upsidedown onthe loan). Thus, failure to recognize the $20k "loss" on the TS purchase/value results in a $20k swing in values.

It might be better to fight for the lava lamp :D

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Good thing we paid around $7500 (from the developer) and it's completely paid off. ;) Of course it's still only worth around $2000 now (at least I think that's what my mom sold the other one she owned a few years ago).

My ex-hubbie got the two-bedroom timeshare and I got the one-bedroom (that we owned jointly with my parents) and the brand new Audi. Seeing that the Audi had to be replaced soon after I'm not sure who got the best deal. :eek: