• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What would get you to write a review of your last Timeshare vacation?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I'm also a 'no' on guests writing reviews, and the notation that writing them extends that $15 membership period.

The reason I haven't submitted any recently is that our timeshare stays have become fewer, and we just go back to the same locations and resorts. Aging does than to ya.

Jim
We used our timeshare points to do scouting. After years of research, we mostly stay at the places we like best. I'll write a review if something has changed much, but a cut and paste of the last review won't really help anyone.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We used our timeshare points to do scouting. After years of research, we mostly stay at the places we like best. I'll write a review if something has changed much, but a cut and paste of the last review won't really help anyone.
How about a line just saying for example “since the last review nothing new to add, all is the same”. This way the review date is current and there is no guessing, are things still the same?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also reviews dont have to contain new info about the resort itself...so many folks come to TUG to get ideas to do while on vacation but not at the resort.

new resturaunts to try, things off the beaten path to visit or experience, or maybe just a small mom and pop breakfast/food truck that serves the best biscuits and gravy youve ever tasted etc!

even something tiny like that would get me to seek that out if I ever traveled to that resort after reading the review!

anything to enhance a week long Timeshare vacation experience, thats what people come to TUG for!

sdhakala7

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that limiting reviews to members is important in terms of controlling content and part of what we pay for, which is pretty marginal. I often end up staying at or exchanging for weeks at lesser resorts due to the cheaper trading units I own and last minute or short horizon searches. This is helpful for splitting up my unused points about to expire in the next year and to give weeks to family or friends (who are not so picky or demanding, and are quite happy to get something better than a hotel room). Thus, I find that the amount and quality of reviews at many places I am looking at on RCI (especially for last minute or late RCI exchanges) are often quite limited, lack specificity, or are relatively spaced out over time and dated such that I cannot be assured that the review reflects the current state of the resort.

I, therefore, emphasize as well that we, as a community, need to each take the time to write reviews for others and also be objective and fair in our reviews and ratings, not promote the resort we own or pan a resort with a 1 or 2 rating just because one thing did not meet our expectations but that one thing is unlikely to matter to someone else or unlikely to reoccur, a honest mistake.

I often end up going on RCI and reading reviews, which are more plentiful. I find them useful but they often contain misleading or inaccurate reviews based on the peculiarities of the people submitting reviews. Also, people are more likely to submit a review if they are upset about something like, for example, did not deliver the right number of towels midweek or upon entiry, had a noisy neighbor, or something else minor that did not meet their expectations or did not deliver the high end value or luxury they are accustomed to receiving and demanding. Thus, I end up getting more information from the RCI and even sometimes Tripadvisor reviews but have to take them with a large grain of salt and read between the line.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-20_15-14-47.png
    upload_2018-10-20_15-14-47.png
    816 bytes · Views: 81

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
This thread makes me feel pretty guilty because I write reviews for almost every stay (12 weeks/ year), and I forget to post them. I don't write them for anything else besides TUG. I just have this long document with lots of reviews I never have posted. I just forget to post them.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This thread makes me feel pretty guilty because I write reviews for almost every stay (12 weeks/ year), and I forget to post them. I don't write them for anything else besides TUG. I just have this long document with lots of reviews I never have posted. I just forget to post them.
You're doing better than I am. I just plain forget to write them.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I do find it helpful to write them very soon after coming back from vacation or maybe towards the end of the vacation because the more time that lapses after check out, the less likely I am to write the review.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
for me, i type up an email to myself with a summary of the days events while on vacation, gmail and such saves drafts so i can just go back and add to it every day making it super easy.

saves so much time vs having to sit down and type a big long detailed summary of what I did all week while at a resort!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am currently reading reviews to choose a resort. I was shocked to read one which was obviously copied from the resort website with no attempt to add any personal content

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
please report those to tug@tug2.net especially if the rating is clearly to either artificially inflate, or deflate the overall rating.

overthehill

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark since 1998 - Stayed at WM 61 resorts so far, but slowing down
At last count I completed 70+ reviews since joining TUG in 1999. Before writing a review, I read reviews completed by others and try to avoid writing about what others have written about the Resort amenities, etc. There’s no point unless some of the features, activities, unit maintenance or other aspects about the resort have changed for better or worse.
I look for both positive and negative comments and suggestions from fellow Tuggers. As an example, years ago we confirmed a last minute stay at Westgate Villas in Orlando. One reviewer cautioned others about expecting a mid- week phone call inviting the guest(s) to come to a maintenance meeting which was actually a sales pitch. Sure enough we got the call and I responded that I had already informed the front desk of the items needing attention in the unit. The caller told me I couldn’t do that and had to come to the maintenance meeting. I hung up. With advance warning, I avoided the ‘meeting’. Very helpful suggestion.
Reviews don’t have to be long but should reflect the reviewers experience.
In response to a non member comment about being able to submit reviews,
I believe only members should be able to read and/or submit reviews. I see no reason non members should be able to enjoy the benefits of TUG without being a member.
Mark Beales
Lifetime member
Seattle

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
I actually headed over to the TUG site to see how many I had written; a whopping 2, although it feels like I have written more. We've probably stayed at 10 or so resorts over the years, so I am certainly missing some. We do tend to return regularly to same 3 resorts that we are most comfortable at.

For me it is probably an issue of timeliness. We only timeshare a couple of weeks a year, and I will hit the reviews when researching where to stay, but don't venture over there for quite some time once I return. By the time I am back there researching our next stay, I've forgotten about writing a review of my last stay.

What would work for me is some sort of trigger to actually go over and get it done. Easy for RCI to get my feedback because they know when I was travelling, and send me the comment card at just the right time. Perhaps there is an opportunity to use the advertising features of the BBS software to run "internal" ads reminding people to write a review? And yes, the carrot of a reward would probably help.

One more vote to keep the reviews member only however. IMO a public forum for reviews would become a lot like TripAdvisor (hopefully without the censoring), and most non-owners (non-members) will base their overall experience on the timeshare sales pressure; at least that's been my experience on TA. I find that owners understand that the sales desk is not really a part of the resort experience, and give a much more honest review of the experience as a timeshare resort. The resort reviews on TA seem very biased, and not rooted in what makes timesharing so special.

I guess one other thought; is there a statute of limitations on submitting a review? I think that submitting a review 10-12 months after the visit would make it look out of place in the flow. How far back could one go in submitting a review before it becomes out of step?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
all reviews have both a submitted date, and a "date of visit" field so folks can see when reading it.

tomt73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Placid Club Lodges, Las Brisas de Santa Fe.
I try to review each resort we visit, especially if it's our first time there, and I see it as s TUG duty to review a resort if it doesn't have a recent (within a year) review posted. I use TUG's text outline format for consistency and completeness, and save the initial draft in MSWord for ease of editing. I like the drop-down boxes since they cover the basics in a consistent fashion. If we re-visit a resort I will update an earlier review only if something has changed that merits comment. I think that as members we have a duty that goes beyond our annual dues to help support the good work TUG does.

I would offer one suggestion: If a review writer wins an award like a membership time extension, sending the member a quick congratulatory email and listing their name next to the "Latest Resort Reviews" section of the Newsletter might spur the team on. I rarely see the resorts I review listed in "Latest Reviews..." and that sort of recognition would be appreciated.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
sadly the newsletter only picks a random 5 reviews from those submitted within the last week. we always have far more than that submitted in the course of a week so it would be difficult to include them all :(

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 on members only.

I, too have spent much more time at my home resorts than anywhere else these past few years. I just went in and checked and both resorts have recent reviews. Since we only just bought into the Wyndham system and won't make our first trip until February, I still can't help with reviews. But, all is not lost. We are staying at South Mountain in November and there hasn't been a review since 2016. I got it on the summer sale from RCI and was thrilled because we can never seem to get in there on exchange when we want one.

Brian, I think you do a fabulous job keeping track of this all and appreciate your commitment to all timeshare owners.

somewhereoutthere

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to finally write reviews of our three different timeshare stays this past summer. We really appreciate reading the TUG reviews, but I don't always sit down to write one myself. I'll try to do better in the future!

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I write my review the day of check out. I like the map feature where I can track my travels (when it is working... which it isn't at least for me now but I find it a nice add on). I do it for every resort I stay at if for no other reason that to have a vacation history log with dates etc . It is something to look back on fondly. I also feel that it is the most important benefit of TUG. The downside is that your competition is free and has outpaced you and outspent you from a platform and usability perspective :(. When TUG started there was no YELP, TripAdvisor, google reviews etc.

In my experience, the 20/80 rule usually applies to services like this where 80 percent of reviews are written by 20 percent of users.

That being said, one of the first questions I have on your 50% no review statistic, is how many TUG members who have no reviews have active listings on the marketplace?

e.g. could it be that a large chunk of your membership are people who are paying just to be able to advertise their listings on the site?

If you take all your paying members and divide them into few buckets:

1. Those who have no listings or reviews - (people who paid but are "inactive")
2. Those who have no listings but make reviews - Active members
3. Those who have or have had less than 2 listings in a year and have a review - Active member (I chose 2 or less to try to identify non-commercial you may have a better stat)
4. Those who have less than 2 listings a year and no review - Active member, non commercial
5. Those who have more than 2 listings a year and reviews
6 those who have more than 2 listings and no reviews

Maybe you will get a better perspective on the population because Those in bucket 1 are not using the service for anything other than the forum (if that) and somehow need to be engaged to go to the main website (maybe check their traffic patterns). I would guess that they will be very difficult to get to, especially if like me they generally use their cell phone (and as of now there is no TUG App for the main site that I am aware of).

Bucket 4 is probably the only audience you can actively target with benefit.

Bucket 6 will never be got as they are only using your service to gain access to potential buyers.