• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What You Should Know Before Booking a Cruise Ship Balcony Room

Lou

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like a balcony. Our last cruise was to Alaska and we had a balcony, just not a covered one. So quite often it rained and we found the balcony unusable. Next time we will make sure the balcony (on an Alaska cruise) is a covered one.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
I'm not a balcony guru, but the balconies I've seen have been ~48" wide, enuff for 2 little chairs and a small table... and close enuff to your neighbors to sniff smoke as they puff away on their balconies.

Coral Princess:
545e95b816aff87.gif

Thanks for this info..I never thought of smokers on balconies.. but that would totally ruin our trip. Not only do we not like the smoke, I have asthma and DH has trouble breathing then, so that would be terrible. Any ships that would not allow that? Or would have non-smoking balcony areas considering that it can be a health issue for many?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Information only: Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruise lines does not allow smoking on any of their balconies.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Information only: Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruise lines does not allow smoking on any of their balconies.
Not that it stops some people. I could smell smoke coming from somewhere near our Celebrity balcony this summer.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not that it stops some people. I could smell smoke coming from somewhere near our Celebrity balcony this summer.
On cruisecritic, someone cruising on a Celebrity cruise ship reported that they complained to the room steward and the people in that cabin were given 2 warnings and on the 3rd report, they were booted off at the next port.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If every smoker would convert to E Cigs (no smell no second hand dangerous smoke) as I did for my 60th Birthday everyone would be happier. The problem is most governmental entities in the USA treat them the same as Tobacco Cigarettes. While in Great Britain they are working at getting Tobacco Smokers to switch to E Cigs

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Oh, thanks for sharing that!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or darn near anywhere else. There is a small corner of the covered area around the pool port side where smoking is allowed, and on the aft part of the boat deck (where the lifeboats are) where there are no balcony cabins directly above or behind the area. Otherwise (iirc) there is no smoking in cabins, on balconies, in bars or any enclosed area. It's one of the 'little things' that makes us Celebrity loyalists.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Neither does Holland America. We spent a lot of time on our balcony, and I never smelled any smoke.

Dave

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
If every smoker would convert to E Cigs (no smell no second hand dangerous smoke) as I did for my 60th Birthday everyone would be happier.
BS. E cigs still stink and if you think they don't, your delusional. They may not be quite as bad a regular cigarettes, but I can't stand being around them.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
AFAIK, Norwegian has the same policy (at least they did on the last two cruises we went on...).

Kurt

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
My wife and all my friends swear there is no smell. Now people may be using those Hugh glass like things that they can put all sorts of things in including Hash Oil, etc. In my mind an E Cig is a simple two part device - battery unit (keep and recharge) and water vapor nicotine unit (dispose after use). They even look like a cigarette with a glow. I could smoke it in your bathroom and you would never know.

In Great Britain they are trying to encourage tobacco users to switch to E Cigarettes.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
In Great Britain they are trying to encourage tobacco users to switch to E Cigarettes.

From my observations in London this week, they are failing miserably. :)

Cheers

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
BS. E cigs still stink and if you think they don't, your delusional. They may not be quite as bad a regular cigarettes, but I can't stand being around them.

Kurt
We vacationed with friends a few years ago. Both smoked ecigs ("we're non smokers now"). We were treated to the delights of apple pie scent and chocolate mint. Both were so gross. I tried, but finally just left them out on the patio to smoke by themselves. It was really stinky.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always book a balcony. I really enjoy having my morning coffee out there, as well as a nightcap before turning in. I love the sea air.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Mine are unscented. Perhaps you should tell tour friends how gross the scented E Cigs are. I assume you also don't like scented candles. I hate them. I have to leave many stores because of all the scents.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've never understood why so many peep seem to think that putting non-food objects in their mouths and inhaling toxic substances is a good idea or even acceptable behavior in public. There may have been a time when it was considered "cool" or perhaps "sophisticated," but to me, it shows a lack of respect for one-self and fellow travellers.

BTW, I also don't understand why so many peep seem to think that treating their bodies as a pincushion to be festooned with tattoos and jewelry in various places is a good idea, either. <grumpy old man/off>

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never understood why so many peep seem to think that putting non-food objects in their mouths and inhaling toxic substances is a good idea or even acceptable behavior in public. There may have been a time when it was considered "cool" or perhaps "sophisticated," . . . .
Time marches on, but a truth remains a truth. My dad said to me of tobacco smoking pipes, "It gives a wise man time to think, and to a fool, something to put in his mouth."

Jim

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
BTW, I also don't understand why so many peep seem to think that treating their bodies as a pincushion to be festooned with tattoos and jewelry in various places is a good idea, either. <grumpy old man/off>

Whenever my kids laugh at my 1980s hair/clothes/glasses (!) I tell them I'm glad none of it was permanent. :D

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Whenever my kids laugh at my 1980s hair/clothes/glasses (!) I tell them I'm glad none of it was permanent. :D

Every time I see this image I wonder what this guy will look like in 30 years. :eek:

And also whether he sounds like a calliope when the wind blows...

Dave,

image.jpg

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately between drugs and suicides, the people like this usually never get old.
If it's happiness that they are in search of, it seems they've made a wrong turn somewhere. Sad.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You forgot to add:

"And get off my lawn!!!"

;):D:D:D

Kurt

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We vacationed with friends a few years ago. Both smoked ecigs ("we're non smokers now"). We were treated to the delights of apple pie scent and chocolate mint. Both were so gross. I tried, but finally just left them out on the patio to smoke by themselves. It was really stinky.
I don't even care what they smell (or don't smell) like. I think they look ridiculous. Personal opinion only. This is from a former smoker.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I don't even care what they smell (or don't smell) like. I think they look ridiculous. Personal opinion only. This is from a former smoker.

I quit smoking nearly 20 years ago after many years of smoking heavily. (Thanks, US Navy! Work breaks were given to those who needed a "smoke break" while nonsmokers kept working. No wonder I started smoking back then!) I haven't looked back. But now, when I look around, I see people trying to manipulate their habit into something they think is socially tolerable. I don't understand why they even bother. I didn't smoke so I could taste apple pie or chocolate mint. Easier to just quit, and be done with it. Reality check: In the first four months after I quit, I'd saved the money I would have spent on cigarettes, and I put a down payment on a used car. o_O

Dave