• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What you will say to speed up timeshare presentation

bauerej

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the first pieces of advice is to repeatedly refuse to attend the "owner update" presentation and watch the incentive go up. We were recently at a Spinnaker resort and the offer was increased from a discount meal certificate to a $100 cashiers check (along with a free breakfast during the "update"). Once we agreed to that, the key words to drop in the first few minutes are "eBay" and "TUG". When we told our salesman that we were basically paid to take someone's timeshare on eBay ($50 price, but first usage year maint fee of $750 was prepaid), he didn't even try to offer us anything. We walked out with our $100 check after about a 20 minunte casual conversation over breakfast.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I have attended TS presentations several times. I don't like them but I do like the gifts, meal certificates (sometimes free show tickets) and discounts. So I attended anyway. At the end of presentation, normally I was presented with a letter of offer that I have to sign and write "DECLINE" to say I do not want to buy.

I want to learn the tricks to speed up the presentation. The ultimate goals are to decline the offer, leave the room asap, and get the gifts.

Any advice?
Say No and don’t go.

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
One of the first pieces of advice is to repeatedly refuse to attend the "owner update" presentation and watch the incentive go up. We were recently at a Spinnaker resort and the offer was increased from a discount meal certificate to a $100 cashiers check (along with a free breakfast during the "update"). Once we agreed to that, the key words to drop in the first few minutes are "eBay" and "TUG". When we told our salesman that we were basically paid to take someone's timeshare on eBay ($50 price, but first usage year maint fee of $750 was prepaid), he didn't even try to offer us anything. We walked out with our $100 check after about a 20 minunte casual conversation over breakfast.
I attended a presentation at wyndham property near Poconos, Pennsylvania several years ago. The sales person looked offended when she knew my contract was from eBay. Since then, I never mentioned eBay.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I attended a presentation at wyndham property near Poconos, Pennsylvania several years ago. The sales person looked offended when she knew my contract was from eBay. Since then, I never mentioned eBay.....

Just a comment ... there is a strong presence of 'want to be' NYC Broadway performers as the Shawnee Playhouse is in the Shawnee, PA (not the resort, but the little town). It is way cheaper to live there, close enough to NYC, possible work at Shawnee Playhouse (or at least some info/contacts), etc.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Timeshares are marvelous things, and I am a huge fan of the concept. My knowledge of timeshare exceeds the salesperson's knowledge most of the time. There are a few programs with which I am not familiar, and that is why I cannot go to timeshare presentations. I want to know how the system works and ask too many questions. I have no intention of buying, I just want to know the value of the points they are selling.

Yesterday I got a call from a Hyatt "concierge," since we are staying at the Hyatt Carmel after Thanksgiving via II exchange. There were offers of 10,000 Hyatt points or $100. Of course I would take the Hyatt points, but I cannot go to another Hyatt presentation. Their hook is, "It's changed since you were at your last presentation." "No, not since January, Sir." And before that it was July of 2016. I went to two of those with that hook. I won't fall for that again. The last presentation at Wild Oak Ranch, the big talk up was Hyatt Carmel. Got it through exchange, so I am all set. I don't need to own Hyatt points.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Often my husband educates the presenter about credit card points and in one case at a presentation at Grand Lodge Peak 7, the rep. actually took notes on which card to apply for first and in what order. When I mentioned Tug he acted disgusted and said sales hated TUG. When I shared the benefits of TUG such as II codes and the Sightings/Distressed section, he became very excited and asked me how else I benefited from it. I wouldnt be surprised if he joined. He also began sharing his favorite II experiences. We enjoyed chating with him and he later sent us an email thanking us for all the information. I learned some good II trading resorts from him as well. He of course made sure first that we had zero interest in purchasing. I actually enjoy learning about different programs for comparison sakes and the tours help us learn where we may want to trade in the future. As a Hyatt owner I will avoid owner updates as I like to get my yearly offers for 4 days, 3 nights and an owners update negates that.

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
That matches our experience.

When the timeshare sellers say stuff we know is not exactly right or even flat-out wrong, we no longer dispute them or try to set'm straight, because that only prolongs the encounter.

We have learned it's best just to sit there quietly & politely, paying attention, not saying much of anything, occasionally nodding our heads (with a slight rolling motion added), & saying No Thanks when the moment of truth finally arrives.

The only time I can recall when a timeshare seller gave up on us early was when we had recently purchased a $750 tiger trader South African timeshare, which we had used for exchange into the timeshare where we were getting the hard-sell that ended early. We mentioned that to the timeshare seller, saying we found about South African tiger traders via TUG. She said she could tell that we were not going to buy -- & asked for the URL for TUG. Beside that, we had been "pre-gifted" (her term) with discount Disney tickets, & we already knew what the units were like because we were staying in 1, so she said there was no point in going any further with the presentation.

That was in 2003. We figured we were golden on freebie timeshare tours from then on. But it has not worked out that way at all. The timeshare sellers pretty much give us the whole 9 yards every time. So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​
What is a tiger trader?

avad88

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we are at a resort for a week and the gift is enough (at least a $100 Visa card), we usually attend. Hubby sits mute and I tell them upfront that we have enough timeshares and bought all of ours on eBay.
I guess I am strange because I find it amusing and entertaining to hear the lies and fabrications the salesmen tell. I sometimes politely correct their lies, which will make them want to get rid of us faster.
At Massanutten, a salesman told me I knew more about timeshares than he did and he offered me a job!

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
What is a tiger trader?
In the olden days of RCI, before the trading power formula was out in the open (i.e., before TPUs), some savvy TUG folks discovered that timeshare resorts in South Africa, which could be bought cheap, turned out to have amazing trading power for snagging RCI exchanges into premium USA timeshares during high-demand seasons. Those South African timeshares were said to Trade Like A Tiger & came to be referred to on TUG-BBS as tiger traders.

Word got out, & eventually the tiger trading power morphed to puma power & bobcat power & eventually just tomcat power. But for a few years there, low-cost South African timeshares that got excellent RCI trades were a really big deal. As I recall it, Dikhololo was the considered the granddaddy tiger trader.

Our South African timeshare was a 2BR unit at Lowveld Lodge. The price, in full, was $750. That included 6 years of paid-up RCI membership. Our thinking was that if we got 3 advantageous trades into other people's USA timeshares, it would be worth it & anything more would be gravy. (At the time, the U.S. dollar was worth lots of South African rand, so the favorable exchange rate added to the advantage of owning South African timeshares for RCI exchange purposes.)

I don't know about tiger trading power today, or whether Dikhololo is still the prized name among South African timeshares. Lowveld Lodge converted itself to a non-timeshare resort, erasing any attraction it held for us, so we flat-out abandoned it.

It was fun while it lasted.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Nothing works better than a TUG, "I paid more for this T-Shirt than my timeshare" t-shirt. But sometimes it backfires and they cancel the presentation and you don't get the perks/discounts/tickets/cash for attending.

Otherwise, printing out a few eBay resale ads for the resort works well too.

Jim

some good tips in this thread. I have attended a presentation with Marriott, HGVC and Vistana. The only ones I will do in future are for discounted stays. 4 nights at Marriott Mountainside in 2 BR for $895 is worth a presentation to me. The gift cards and points are not worthwhile.

So far, I've just said I really like your timeshare program but I don't have the money right now. Or I don't stay in places this nice so this is too expensive for me right now. I'll consider again in a few years. Or I'm saving for a house. I'm 34 so I think they believe me when I bring up financial reasons. I want them to invite me back for presentations so I prefer to give them hope of a future sale. Those discounted stays have worked out for long weekends.

The last one I attended and I said I am single. I didn't want to was my wife's time and reduce our return on time spent. There was no issue. I will sign up in my wife's name in future for the 3 night stay. I don't know if they can figure out from the address that we are the same family.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Good recent post -
OP was an owner of 2003 Mayan Palace contract & at a Vidanta upgrade " presentation / salesperson was using the: " pay us more $$ so your heirs don't end up saddled with a forever liability .

OP - threatened to put salesperson in their will . Salesperson walked & presentation ended .

Remember and use when needed .
Tip number 1, don't attend a Mexican T/S presentation ... they can isolate you and make it difficult to get back to your resort.

Tip number 2, set your phone to beep when their allowed time is up. Spend as much time with the pleasant chit-chat to waste time. When it goes off, remind them of the original agreement and you want to be cashed out.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
When it goes off, remind them of the original agreement and you want to be cashed out.

We did that at the last one (and that will be the last one) we attended. After I said the agreed-upon 60 minutes are up, one of the two salesmen sitting across the table replied rather rashly, "It's over when I say it's over."

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We did that at the last one (and that will be the last one) we attended. After I said the agreed-upon 60 minutes are up, one of the two salesmen sitting across the table replied rather rashly, "It's over when I say it's over."
My reply would be: "I'll be in the check-in area repeating your words to everyone who can hear, and your name is...?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The only places that have enough incentive for us to attend a presentation is Mexico. We will go and be polite for two hours if the incentive is enough. Yup, politely say no is the way we go. I find that letting the sales people do their job results in less time at a presentation. The key is to not be rude and let them know that you will not be buying anything with out researching it first.

Bill

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Apologies if this been mentioned before, but one way to speed up (and even end the presentation) is just mention that you are a little lightheaded from the three mai tai's you had by the pool right before you arrived. :D