• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When are Points resorts and/or PFD weeks actually deposited into the spacebank?

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is something that I do not understand. Since we are not allowed to search more than 10 months out for a Points resort, what happens to all of those weeks that are deposited more than 10 months out? Are weeks even submitted for or allowed to be deposited into RCI Points more than 10 months out? What happens to those weeks that go into the PFD program more than 10 months out? Shouldn't those weeks only be seen in Points?

JeffV

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I will give this a shot. Points resorts are automatically deposited at the 10 month mark thus there are no deposits from Points resorts before that time. The PFD weeks go into the weeks system at the time of the PFD conversion. RCI trades you points for those weeks which are theirs to use as they see fit. Logically, the PFD weeks should be seen by either Points or weeks. Did I help or confuse?
Dani said:
Hi,

This is something that I do not understand. Since we are not allowed to search more than 10 months out for a Points resort, what happens to all of those weeks that are deposited more than 10 months out? Are weeks even submitted for or allowed to be deposited into RCI Points more than 10 months out? What happens to those weeks that go into the PFD program more than 10 months out? Shouldn't those weeks only be seen in Points?

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
JeffV said:
I will give this a shot. Points resorts are automatically deposited at the 10 month mark thus there are no deposits from Points resorts before that time. The PFD weeks go into the weeks system at the time of the PFD conversion. RCI trades you points for those weeks which are theirs to use as they see fit. Logically, the PFD weeks should be seen by either Points or weeks. Did I help or confuse?

Thanks Jeff. No you have not confused me. One thing that I don't quite understand is how weeks that are given over in PFD conversions more than 10 months out could go into Points if we cannot search for them until 10 months out. Does that mean that they necessarily would only be available in Weeks more than 10 months out?

Also, based upon your response, I'm just now realizing something else. If all Points weeks go into the spacebank automatically at 10 months out, does this mean that no new weeks come into the Points spacebank with the exception of PFD or developer weeks past the 10 month mark? In other words, does this mean that if I do not see a week at a resort that I wish to exchange into for a date less than 10 months out that I am out of luck unless someone PFD's or a developer makes a deposit?

Last edited:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dani said:
Thanks Jeff. No you have not confused me. One thing that I don't quite understand is how weeks that are given over in PFD conversions more than 10 months out could go into Points if we cannot search for them until 10 months out. Does that mean that they necessarily would only be available in Weeks more than 10 months out?

Also, based upon your response, I'm just now realizing something else. If all Points weeks go into the spacebank automatically at 10 months out, does this mean that no new weeks come into the Points spacebank with the exception of PFD or developer weeks past the 10 month mark? In other words, does this mean that if I do not see a week at a resort that I wish to exchange into for a date less than 10 months out that I am out of luck unless someone PFD's or a developer makes a deposit?

You can also get one if someone cancels a confirmation. Or, if someone converts a week less than 10-months out from checkin. If you think about it, this is the way it should work. The fact that you are a timesharing expert throws you off. Most people (non-timesharers that is) would think that the way a reservation system should work is ALL inventory should be made available at the same time and it's first come, first served. This is why an ongoing search in points doesn't make sense. A wait list does, though, in case of cancellations.

As for PFD weeks, you can only deposit non-rci points weeks into PFD. If it is an RCI Points week, you cannot deposit it, so the point is moot.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dani said:
....One thing that I don't quite understand is how weeks that are given over in PFD conversions more than 10 months out could go into Points if we cannot search for them until 10 months out. Does that mean that they necessarily would only be available in Weeks more than 10 months out?...

They don't go into Points. They are available for both Points and Weeks owners. Since these are at Weeks only resorts, you can take them more than 10 months out, even as a Points member. (Remember, that if someone used PFD, this unit had to come from a Weeks only resort.)

Dani said:
....If all Points weeks go into the spacebank automatically at 10 months out, does this mean that no new weeks come into the Points spacebank... ...

By and large that is true. There are a few later deposits. (I think you yourself spotted a late Windjammer Points deposit. Fuzzy about that.) There are a number of ways that there can be a few later deposits. Developer weeks. New Points members deposit their weeks just after they join. Some Points owners do not have thier weeks automatically deposited. Etc. Still most weeks are there to be seen at the 10 month mark.

Two fallouts of this. You can look at 10 months out and find out if a particular trade is possible. You don't have to sit around and cross your fingers for a late deposit and a match. If something is not available, look elsewhere. Secondly, you often don't have to jump at a trade. Many of the deposits that show up are still available five and six months out.

Last edited:

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Speaking only from what I have observed, I think points are actually deposited by some resorts at the begining of month 13 and by others at month 12. Some resorts want you to reserve your actual owned "fixed home week" through RCI and others want you to call the resort. Either way, I think the points are in the RCI system by the begining of month 12. I have searched for time at my home resort between month 11 and 12 and seen inventory. The inventory is reserved for home resort usage from 11-12, home group from 10-11 and becomes available to the general RCI public at the start of month 10.

November 28, 2006 is the latest check-in you can reserve as of today. But if you were to search at a resort that has a lot of inventory and put in a search with a start date of 11/28/06 for say 28 days, you will find that the inventory is there. I have done it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thank you all... I think I mostly understand this now. However, just thinking this thing through out loud, this does not sound like a good thing to me. Maybe I am reading this the wrong way. In my case, having just joined Points a few months ago, I can basically forget about obtaining a week that I can use for the summer of 06 in Points. Nothing on the east coast that I can use, nothing in the Caribbean, and nothing in Europe. :( The only way that I can obtain anything is if I get a useable week by conducting a transaction on the Weeks side unless a late or developer deposit comes in. As I think has been noted before, RCI gives Points a mid-level VEP rating when searching in Weeks with Points that will basically prevent from seeing many weeks that I would be interested in.

I can't help but to be very disappointed to have figured this out.

Patty..thanks for the great tip.

Last edited:

Joe M

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have on many occasions used PFD with a week that I had spacebanked almost two years in advance. For all I know, my week was already used for an exchange in RCI Weeks by the time I requested PFD.

In cases like these nothing new is added to the spacebank when I use PFD. All that happens is I exchange one type of credit with RCI (the right to a full week exchange in RCI Weeks) to a different type of credit (the right to reserve nights at a Points resort, airfare, etc.).

What if I reserve airfare with my PFD points from a unit that has already been taken as an exchange? How does RCI recover the cost of the air tickets? They rent an equivalent unit, in terms of trade power, from the Weeks pool.

After reading some old FAQ's in our Ask RCI BB I think it works like this:

I deposit a Strand Pavilion 2br red unit over one year in advance of check-in. It is taken by another RCI Weeks member in exchange and I play around with the Strand unit online for a few months. The Weeks exchange pool is plus one right now because I deposited but did not exchange yet.

Several months later I decide to use PFD with my Strand deposit and get 44500 points.

I use my points to get an ait ticket worth $400. RCI must recover that cost.

They can either move a unit from the Weeks pool into rentals or they can identify incoming deposits as the offset and move them into the rental pool as soon as they are deposited.

Either of the above actions results in a minus one for the Weeks exchange pool. That cancels the plus one from PFD and all is even.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dani said:
... In my case, having just joined Points a few months ago, I can basically forget about obtaining a week that I can use for the summer of 06 in Points. Nothing on the east coast that I can use, nothing in the Caribbean, and nothing in Europe. :( ....

I won't say that the selection is great, but I see some stuff left. Hilton Head in August... haven't tried the Caribbean ... quite a bit scattered through out England, some stuff elsewhere in Europe.

If you can go at the end of August, you even have your selection of two OBX resorts, the ones that are on the beach, not the one that we are told is overpointed because of amenities as opposed to location. (Its gone.)

Try to find anything at all in Weeks for comparison. That stuff is long gone.

Walt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do a Search for Weeks/Points/Extra Vacation. What is Available for Each Search?

Dani said:
Thank you all... I think I mostly understand this now. However, just thinking this thing through out loud, this does not sound like a good thing to me. Maybe I am reading this the wrong way. In my case, having just joined Points a few months ago, I can basically forget about obtaining a week that I can use for the summer of 06 in Points. Nothing on the east coast that I can use, nothing in the Caribbean, and nothing in Europe. :( The only way that I can obtain anything is if I get a useable week by conducting a transaction on the Weeks side unless a late or developer deposit comes in. As I think has been noted before, RCI gives Points a mid-level VEP rating when searching in Weeks with Points that will basically prevent from seeing many weeks that I would be interested in.

I can't help but to be very disappointed to have figured this out.

I know that there are some Tuggers that believe that the RCI’s and II’s Rental Programs has no effect on the number of exchanges that are available in the Points and the Weeks Exchanges Pool.

But! Here are the Resorts Available for Rent. There may be several weeks available for each Resort for each month.

-------------------------------2006 Extra Vacations Rentals

------------------------June--------July------Aug

East Coast Resorts -------91----------59-------92
Caribbean-----------------31----------31-------47
Germany/Hungary/UK-----8-----------7--------6

Walt :)

Last edited:

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Roger said:
Try to find anything at all in Weeks for comparison. That stuff is long gone.

True...but an on-going search picks up many weeks and many weeks are ultimatley deposited into the space-bank. I'm just trying to figure out how to best us my Points. Thanks again.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Walt,

I don't want to start getting into a back in forth on this (not ready to start doing all the research), but I did do one quick check. There were 18 resorts listed within Extra Vacations for Vermont and New Hampshire for July (which extends to Aug. 5 according to RCI). I found 15 of them by searching Weeks and Points. (I could have missed the other three. You can only check Points by the week. I did not check every week.) In addition, there were about ten resorts available for July in either Weeks or Points that did not show up in Extra Vacation.

I am not making any statement about how or why things get into Extra Vacations - whether what gets there is justified or unjustified. I just am providing information.

Walt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Roger said:
Walt,

I don't want to start getting into a back in forth on this (not ready to start doing all the research), but I did do one quick check. There were 18 resorts listed within Extra Vacations for Vermont and New Hampshire for July (which extends to Aug. 5 according to RCI). I found 15 of them by searching Weeks and Points. (I could have missed the other three. You can only check Points by the week. I did not check every week.) In addition, there were about ten resorts available for July in either Weeks or Points that did not show up in Extra Vacation.

I am not making any statement about how or why things get into Extra Vacations - whether what gets there is justified or unjustified. I just am providing information.

Hi Roger

I don't want to start getting into a back in forth on this either.

For information only, this is what I see for a RCI Weeks Extra Vacation Search For July. Most of the rental rates are in the $500 to $700 range. The highest weekly rental is WILSHIRE PLAZA

PA.---6 Resorts
NH---10
VA---13
VT---8
ME---4
MA---7
KY---1
WV---1
IN---1
SC---3
IL---2
NJ---1
NY---2

NEW YORK ARE THE FOLLOWING:

Resort ID: 8057
Resort Name: THE MANHATTAN CLUB - 5 NIGHT RENTAL
NEW YORK NY, USA
Please note: Extra Vacations may include inventory that is not discounted through Special Promotions nor available through Exchanges. For travel within the next 45 days, please visit the Last Call section of our website for the best pricing on select resorts.
Please click here to view Last Call inventory.

Select Unit Type Max Occ/Privacy Kitchen Check-in Date Price
1 4 / 4 Partial 07/01/2006 $1,453.49
1 4 / 4 Partial 07/08/2006 $1,453.49
1 4 / 4 Partial 07/15/2006 $1,453.49
S 4 / 2 Partial 07/16/2006 $1,158.99
1 4 / 4 Partial 07/22/2006 $1,453.49
S 4 / 2 Partial 07/23/2006 $1,158.99
1 4 / 4 Partial 07/29/2006 $1,453.49
S 4 / 2 Partial 07/30/2006 $1,158.99
1 4 / 4 Partial 08/05/2006 $1,453.49

Resort Information

Resort ID: 8245
Resort Name: WILSHIRE PLAZA - RENTAL
NEW YORK NY, USA
Please note: Extra Vacations may include inventory that is not discounted through Special Promotions nor available through Exchanges. For travel within the next 45 days, please visit the Last Call section of our website for the best pricing on select resorts.
Please click here to view Last Call inventory.

Select Unit Type Max Occ/Privacy Kitchen Check-in Date Price
S 4 / 2 Partial 07/07/2006 $1,599.99
1 4 / 2 Partial 07/07/2006 $1,869.99
S 4 / 2 Partial 07/14/2006 $1,599.99
S 4 / 2 Partial 07/21/2006 $1,599.99
S 4 / 2 Partial 07/28/2006 $1,599.99
1 4 / 2 Partial 07/28/2006 $1,869.99
S 4 / 2 Partial 08/04/2006 $1,599.99
1 4 / 2 Partial 08/04/2006 $1,869.99

Walt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think we are going back and forth.

BocaBum99 said:
Then why are you both going back and forth?

I guess I don't see how you can think providing search information is going back and forth.

My Extra Vacation search was from the Weeks side. His Extra Vacation search was from the points side. Have we ever established that Extra Vacations searches on RCI's Weeks and Points web site give the same results?

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Walt said:
My Extra Vacation search was from the Weeks side. His Extra Vacation search was from the points side. Have we ever established that Extra Vacations searches on RCI's Weeks and Points web site give the same results?

That's an interesting question. We already know that there are VEP restrictions on the Weeks side with respect to Extra Vacations that are based upon the VEP of the first resort attached to your RCI account. Therefore, none of us see the same Extra Vacations. If anyone is interested, we conducted a trade test of Extra Vacation weeks a few years back that can be found on the Sightings board which bears this out. Because my first resort with RCI had a very high VEP, I fared among the worst in that trade test as I saw the among the least amount of Extra Vacation weeks.

I assume that on the Points side we can all see the same weeks. I wonder if we are given a mid-VEP rating for the purpose of Extra Vacations on the Points side.

Walt

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sure doesn't make sense.

Dani said:
That's an interesting question. We already know that there are VEP restrictions on the Weeks side with respect to Extra Vacations that are based upon the VEP of the first resort attached to your RCI account. Therefore, none of us see the same Extra Vacations. If anyone is interested, we conducted a trade test of Extra Vacation weeks a few years back that can be found on the Sightings board which bears this out. Because my first resort with RCI had a very high VEP, I fared among the worst in that trade test as I saw the among the least amount of Extra Vacation weeks.

I assume that on the Points side we can all see the same weeks. I wonder if we are given a mid-VEP rating for the purpose of Extra Vacations on the Points side.

Hi Dani

What is the reason for the VEP to come into play on rentals? And it someone owns more than one timeshare with the first having a very high VEP and the others having a very low VEP, why should RCI use the first? :confused:

It just doesn't make any sense.

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Dani-

I just searched "Caribbean" in Points starting July 1, 2006 and found some pretty good places in ST Martin & Aruba.

Resort Name THE ATRIUM RST ON SIMPSON BAY
Location SIMPSON BAY, , NETHERLANDS ANTILLES
Check-in date 7/1/06 - 7/9/06
Points 40,500 - 101,000

Resort Name DIVI ARUBA PHOENIX BEACH RST
Location ORANJESTAD, , NETHERLANDS ANTILLES
Check-in date 7/1/06 - 7/29/06
Points 39,000 - 56,500

Resort Name THE CARAVANSERAI BEACH RESORT
Location BEACON HILL, , NETHERLANDS ANTILLES
Check-in date 7/1/06 - 7/22/06
Points 40,500 - 64,500

Resort Name SAPPHIRE BEACH CLUB
Location CUPECOY BEACH, , NETHERLANDS ANTILLES
Points 41,000 - 88,500

Resort Name THE OCEAN CLUB VILLAS
Location SINT MAARTEN, , NETHERLANDS ANTILLES
Check-in date 7/15/06
Points 67,000

Resort Name ROYAL ISLANDER "LA TERRASSE"
Location SINT MAARTEN, , NETHERLANDS ANTILLES
Check-in date 7/1/06 - 7/16/06
Points 35,500 - 97,000

Resort Name BELAIR BEACH HOTEL
Location LITTLE BAY BEACH, , NETHERLANDS ANTILLES
Check-in date 7/1/06 - 7/28/06
Points 70,500

Resort Name DIVI LITTLE BAY BEACH & RACQUE
Location PHILIPSBURG, , NETHERLANDS ANTILLES
Points 36,000 - 65,500

Resort Name DIVI DUTCH VILLAGE
Check-in date 7/15/06
Points 24,500 - 25,500

Resort Name DIVI VILLAGE
Check-in date 7/1/06 - 7/9/06
Points 44,500

Hope this helps,

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Walt- I should qualify what I said...you can always trade up. Just not down. In other words, if your first resort is of a lower quality, you will see the most resorts in Extra Vacations.

We have been down this road before with RCI and they do it for the same reason that they have VEP restrictions in the first place. They want people to exchange into "comparable" resorts of similar or better quality than their home resort. Yes...you could own one top quality resort and 5 low quality resorts. It does not matter. They use the first resort that you signed up for membership with. That can be identified by the the resort # that is contained in your member id number.

BTW...II does the exact same thing with their Getaways!!! Luckily, my first resort with II was of a low quality so I can pretty much see most Getaways.

Patty- thank you for looking. I guess since I can see such resorts like the Windjammer and Crane Residneces during the fall in Points pretty easily, I had hoped to see them during the late spring or summer. 'm sure that they were there but have already been grabbed.

Walt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I consider all of my Resorts as my Home Resort!

Dani said:
Walt- I should qualify what I said...you can always trade up. Just not down. In other words, if your first resort is of a lower quality, you will see the most resorts in Extra Vacations.

We have been down this road before with RCI and they do it for the same reason that they have VEP restrictions in the first place. They want people to exchange into "comparable" resorts of similar or better quality than their home resort. Yes...you could own one top quality resort and 5 low quality resorts. It does not matter. They use the first resort that you signed up for membership with. That can be identified by the the resort # that is contained in your member id number.

BTW...II does the exact same thing with their Getaways!!! Luckily, my first resort with II was of a low quality so I can pretty much see most Getaways.

Patty- thank you for looking. I guess since I can see such resorts like the Windjammer and Crane Residneces during the fall in Points pretty easily, I had hoped to see them during the late spring or summer. 'm sure that they were there but have already been grabbed.

Hi Dani

I would consider all of my Resorts as my home Resort. It really doesn't make any sense to have the first Resort listed as the one they use for the VEP Resort. It would make more sense to have your lowest rated Resort as the one with the VEP Resort value. RCI should give your more Resorts to choose from not less.

I really don't think the VEP value should come into play for either Rentals or Trades. After all, it is not like RCI has the that many of the highest rated Resorts in all of the Timeshare World. I think that II has more Resorts and Weeks available as Exchanges that are in the high end or more expensive Resorts. RCI may have some high end Resorts listed as RCI Resorts, but I don't think many of their weeks ever get into the Exchange Pool.

If they want to protect the average timesharer with the VEP value, they should at least allow the TUG members to have the option to have the VEP value for their exchanges or not have it come into play.

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well...I guess RCI showed me!!! Check out the Sightings board!!!