• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When to start Ongoing RCI Search in Hawaii for Spring Break 2020?

HTBuilder

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have 300K RCI Points (clearly I'm not using this Timeshare enough) and my son is in his Senior Year of high school. Rather than some Spring Break party, I offered for the family to go to Hawaii, which he thought was awesome. So I created an ongoing search for either Maui or Oahu starting March 27 to March 29, 2020. I haven't gotten any matches so far. So, my question is: how long do I wait to get a match vs. rent something via VRBO or directly at a resort? I really, really want to use my timeshare if possible for this trip.

Thanks for the help,

Will Poirier

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
March of 2020 is only five months from now. With those specific dates, I think you're waaaay late for trying to match something. Better to get what you can, and make sure you have a place to stay. Otherwise, you may miss your dates. Do you have airfare booked? That's a second issue to think about.

Good luck!

Dave

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We go to Maui in March every year. We stay for two weeks. I try to do both weeks through trades, one with Trading Places Maui and one through RCI. I've had the request for March 2020 in for over a year. So far nothing has matched through RCI. Last year we got both weeks through RCI, but again the OGS had been ongoing for a year or better. We limit our request to one resort, so that does make it harder for us. But, my advice, start your search as soon as possible. If you end up renting, find something where you can cancel without too much of a penalty, if you do get a match.

For example for 2020 I have one week through TPM. I have an ongoing search through RCI. I have a rental for the second week through vtbo. I think I have up to 60 days prior to the date to cancel the rental.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Too late - you need to try a year or more in advance.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Will:
Welcome to TUG:
The difficult part of your request is the one specific week. If you'd consider adding June, for a graduation celebration week, you'd have better success.

If you want to stick to the Spring break week you have, may I suggest the Big Island? It has much more inventory. The Big Island has many fine beaches, places to snorkel, the Volcanoes national park.

One request can hold several weeks and several resorts, so go ahead and keep the request you have for March in Oahu/Maui, but add to it.
7979, 8599, 3684, 4861, DS14, DS15, 2326, 5971

What part of the country are you travelling from? Would you consider Mexico?

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Chances are not all that good you will get something. If you have RCI Points, start watching for the Maui resorts for your week. Points' reservations absolutely do not match to ongoing searches.

Oahu is definitely tough this close. You might want to expand your choices to the Big Island and to Kauai.