TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Where should we have family reunuin for New Years

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by jjking42, Sep 30, 2019.

1. jjking42

jjking42 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Westin Kierland, Wyndham Flagstaff
    Relatives live in Texas , South Florida and South Carolina.

We normally go in the summer to Myrtle Beach or Florida panhandle because its central for everyone. But its getting harder and harder to get everyone together and all the college kids are out of school for New Years. We can get great off season rates in those cold beach locations but its not going to be beach weather.

All adults no little kids. Between 12 to 20 people depending on who comes. 7 college kids and bunch of old people. LOL
    Its does not need to be 7 days 3-4 nights will work

Looking for alternatives.
    So far we came up with
    1. Orlando of coarse.

2. Smoky Mountains
    I have no experience with timeshares in the Smokey's. But we will want a nice view and to be in the hills/mountain not flat land. We all live in flat lands so if it's going to be cold it needs to be beautiful right outside the window. Will any of the timeshares in that area be worth looking at. We don't care about water parks etc. more interested in nature.

I found a cool website for cabins https://www.largecabinrentals.com/

3. NYC
    We will have to cash in everyones Hotel points and by airlines tickets but it's a once in a lifetime thing. Not sure its worth it. I enjoy New Year's eve just fine on the TV, but I could check it off the list. The college kids think its cool.

4. Mexico
    We will have to buy flights but its warm.

2. "Roger"

"Roger" Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Thinking outside the box, Bermuda. it won't be that warm, but different.

(No offence taken if you don't even consider this suggestion.)

3. Marathoner

Marathoner TUG Member

New Orleans!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

4. jjking42

jjking42 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    first choice is someplace most can drive to if possible. 20 airline tickets gets costly

5. WinniWoman

WinniWoman TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    I would rent a house in the Smokies. I don't know anything about the timeshares there.

6. Big Matt

Big Matt TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Hilton Head?

7. cyntravel

cyntravel TUG Member

Hilton Head

8. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
    Not a drive-to location, but usually cheap flight tickets: Vegas, Baby!

Lots of relatively cheap accommodations, plenty of activities, etc. Our spread-out family decided to get together there one Christmas, and had a great time.

Kurt

pianodinosaur likes this.
  9. chellej

chellej TUG Member

Do you ski? We spent New years in Durango one new years and had a great time.

10. jjking42

jjking42 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Not enough of us flat landers have the clothes or experience for that kind of vacation.

11. sun starved Gayle

sun starved Gayle TUG Member

New York, or for that matter, any big city does not seem like the ideal place for a family reunion to me. Very difficult for a group of 20 to maneuver around together. It would be hard to find a places to eat together, let alone find somewhere big enough to have the whole group in to eat. There is so much to do in NYC, I would think there would not be that much connecting, and little groups would be constantly off on their own. Especially if it were their first visit there. A beach or mountain setting with a slower pace sounds better to me for visiting and connecting.

WinniWoman likes this.
  12. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, or Chatanooga. Lots to do around any of those and if you choose a shoulder season, there should be availability. Maybe renting a BIG house on VRBO.

13. geekette

geekette Guest

Smokies!!!

Lovely area, probably still dressed in Christmas. Many choices of where to stay, plenty to do. Should be reasonably accessible to all.

As a Bluegreen owner, I have been to Mountain Loft repeatedly. I take coffee on the balcony and watch the mist over the Smokies, which is what gave them their name. ML is very near a park entrance. Cades Cove in the park is known for wildlife, plus there are some structures there. I can't remember well, but it seems there was a ranger station or educational center or something like that where we stayed a bit after driving around looking at animals.

I would recommend Blue Ridge Parkway as scenic cruising and highly recommend the Folk Art Center tucked in there. I am sorry that I am not at all sure where along the parkway that particularly interesting lodge is but we spent hours there.

WinniWoman likes this.
  14. HenryT

HenryT Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Bluebeard's Castle, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
    I would say somewhere on the Florida Panhandle (Pensacola Beach, Destin, Seaside, Panama City, etc.). It's the off season so there should be a lot of availability. There are a number of timeshares in this area. There are also some big beachfront houses in places like Pensacola beach that you could rent.

It is within driving distance to some locations in Texas, South Carolina, and Florida.

It would be easy to get around, lot of food options when you wanted to eat out and you could have some good quality family time in a low-key atmosphere.

15. Seaport104

Seaport104 TUG Member

Marriott Ocean Pointe would work and there's plenty of units to book for that time but it will not be cheap.

16. pianodinosaur

pianodinosaur TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
    Cancun and Puerto Vallarta will have beach weather, lots of timeshares and hotels. This would increase the cost of transportation. Atlanta has plenty of hotels but not that much in the way of timeshares. However, it is a relatively easy drive. There are many hotels that could accommodate your family reunion. You are blessed to have a family that wants to get together so frequently. The same also applies to New Orleans.