TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Where to buy Marriott Destination Resale Points

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by pefs65, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:46 PM.

1. pefs65

pefs65 TUG Member

Hello I am an owner of a every other year MOC 2 br and am looking to buy resale points of 1500 to add to my enrolled week?
    What would be a good price per point to pay $6-7 plus junk fees?
    What are junk fees?
    Also what are reputable sites to purchase these sites from and would they be added to my account once purchase is complete?
    Thanks for your help.

2. GregT

GregT TUG Member TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, DC Points HGVC: HHV Lagoon, Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), Aulani, Worldmark
    I bought my points off eBay and paid (including junk fees) about $8,500 for 2,000 points. I was surprised it cleared ROFR, but it did. I think my winning bid was $2.24 per point. Others have seen similar priced packages fail ROFR so I think it's luck of the draw. Good luck to you!

Best,

Greg

3. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    Why do you want to add 1500 points to your account?

4. TheTimeTraveler

TheTimeTraveler TUG Member

You may be far better off renting them as you need them so you won't be hung with them forever. Check out VacationPointExchange on the web.

5. pefs65

pefs65 TUG Member

If I purchase the minimum of 1500 points and trade in my MOC for points that would put me over 4000 points total and enable me to book at 13 months?

6. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Barony Beach Club, HHI
    Marriott Destination Club Points
    If your MOC week is enrolled, you can book at 13 months now without moving up to the higher Select level - as a low-tier Owner you can still book 13 months out with points, you just pay a 20% points premium above the points you need to book at 12 months.

Assuming that you would have to pay something around $6-$7/point after the junk fees for 1500 points (unless you get the luck of the draw as GregT did), those 1500 points will cost you $9,000 to $11,000. How many bookings would you have to make where you incur the 20% premium to recoup that $9-$11K?

A 2BR at MOC requires 4700-7450 points to book depending on season and view, so that 20% penalty would be between 940 points and 1490 points, depending on what you actually were trying to book. If, instead of buying points just to reach the level where you avoid the 20% penalty, you just rented between 1000 and 1500 points to cover that 20% premium each time you wanted to book at 13 months, that will likely cost you $600 to $900 each time you opt to book at 13 months. So based on that, you would have to avoid paying that 20% premium somewhere between 10 to 18 times (again with the actual number depending on what you could buy the points for and what seasons/view you choose to book) in order to recoup your $9K to $11K purchase cost. Since you own an every other year MOC, it would take you 20-36 years to breakeven if you booked at 13 months every time.

So, bottom line, if you are enrolled, you can book with points 13 months today. So instead of spending $9K to $11K for points, just rent enough points to cover the 20% premium each time you choose to book at 13 months.

Fasttr and davidvel like this.
  7. pefs65

pefs65 TUG Member

Jim
    Thank you so very much. Great reasoning and insight. You Tuggers are awesome.