• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where to eat in Grand Mayan Nuevo

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
We haven't eaten much at the restaurants in the GM complex.
I think they sell some meal tickets there now?
Can anyone tell me about them. I think we will eat mostly in the
restaurants there when we go this time.
Seems easier that trying to get OUT.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you have a unit with a kitchen. If so, we normally buy "breakfast" stuff at the store (eggs, bacon, pancake stuff, bread, milk, orange juice, etc.) Fix breakfast in the unit, as that'll save you some money.

The meal tickets *may* be a good deal. I vaguely recall they had a 20 meal one and it covered like 10 breakfast buffets and 10 lunch or dinner, but only certain restaurants. The buffet is a little pricey (I wanna say $25-30 USD not including any adult beverages you may want). Although the meal plan may be a better deal. But it was still more than what we spent.

My sister's family of 4 spent a total of $400 USD for a week and that was including groceries and eating out and adult beverages, to give you an idea.

The Burger Custom Made is reasonable (IMO), along with some of lunch-type places (we'd split a lunch) and the dinner portions, I'd save half (so I could have dessert -haha) and then reheat the leftovers for lunch the next day. I'd say with the exchange rate, you can find places about the same price as your local Applebee's/Fridays ($10-15 USD for an entree, plus cost of drinks, etc.) And there are more expensive areas. We splurged the one night and had dinner on the beach (I forget the name of the restaurant at NV, but it's down by the beach) and they had lobster night or something for like $40 USD.

There's usually 2-for-1 drink specials. I think they had them from 10-11 (there's one special drink they have) and then 11-1 or thereabouts it's 2-1 frozen margaritas or pina coladas usually.

I'll see if I have any of the restaurant menus with pricing.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
All their menus are on the website, though they don't list the prices.

jssquared

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe
I believe the meal plan is a good idea particularly if you meet two conditions: you want to go to one of the breakfast buffets and that you want to eat at the somewhat more formal (and expensive) dinner restaurants. If you are going to do both, then you WILL save a good deal of money with the meal plan. You can buy multiple meal plan booklets if you are with a large party.
Among the higher end restaurants: Azur (French with fantastic views over the property and out to the bay), Quinto (fantastic steak house on top of building 5 with insane views), Tramonto (Italian), Gong (Asian), Cost Arena (seafood), Epazote (Mexico) are all great. Personal favorite in NV are Quinto and Azur (for some reason Tramonto is much better in RM).
There are a number of mid level restaurants: Burger Custom Made has great burgers. Cantina for Mexican that has a nice laser light show on the pond outside, but when we were there was brand new and not great).
You can always go to the La Plaza and enjoy different types of food with tacos on the deck outside, crepe at Sweet Paris, and other pastries, frozen yogurt, chocolate inside.
There are others as well but these will certainly keep you busy. Check out the app as they have all the restaurants listed and many with menus. Plan the trip and plan to use, if you buy, the meal plan at the most expensive dinner options.
Do go to a breakfast buffet at least once. There are now a few different choices including Quinto and Fresh Co. which are newer editions. The big buffet is a great one time treat for us. We usually buy breakfast goods at Walmart (or even the grocer in La Plaza) and eat in the unit all but one morning. Easier and much cheaper.
There are also many good restaurants off campus to try - both in the NV marina and downtown PV. It is really not too hard to get off the resort and into town. Yes it takes some time. But, if you think of it as a laid back vacation and understand you will need to shuttle to the tax stand, then take the long winding road out, it is not an issue. Converted to US dollars it is also not expensive.
(as an aside and only tangentially related to food, PV is a fantastic town. We chose to buy at Vidanta because we love to explore the food, culture, history of the country. Every time we visit we spend at least one, if not two, days of the week on some adventure or excursion. I know a lot of the reviews, and for good reason, make is seem like it is like fort knox and impossible to get out, but it is not and it is usually well worth the little bit of extra effort).

daburck

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resort Escondido
We [two couples] journeyed to Puerto Vallarta, staying at the Grand Mayan. I had read a review that paid off handsomely for us. Both couples purchased one meal plan and would split one meal plus an extra appetizer. It suited our appetites perfectly. We also purchased a breakfast buffet plan for each of us and bought a few groceries to supplement. Didn't have a bad meal in any restaurant...some were better than others. The roof top taqueria at the stores was terrific and reasonable...some of the best guac we've ever eaten!

mike53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner (2)
OBBR (2)
Island Seas (2)
Grand Luxxe
Is the meal plan unique to NV? We have been to Vidanta in RM but never noticed or were offered a meal plan.
What is the cost?

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
We were there in December and I took photos of many of the restaurant menus that were at the entrances. Prices may have changed but they are probably similar. I'm not so savy on posting but if you have specific restaurants I can give you an idea of price. Also, I did a very lengthy review on TripAdvisor on Dec 23, 2017 titled "Fun Trip for 2 families" where I provided some comments on the restaurants we ate it.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Do you typically rent a car?

Not generally needed .

PV centro has very limited parking . Cabs are inexpensive & bus system is excellent & using it can add a local feel to vacationing in Mexico .

If you decide to explore “out of town “ - you can rent a car for a day .
No need for a 7 day rental .

Vidanta has free inbound transportation to the resort from the airport .

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the meal plan unique to NV? We have been to Vidanta in RM but never noticed or were offered a meal plan.
What is the cost?

AFAIK, the meal plan is only offered in NV. I've never had it offered at RM.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our favorites were:

Costa Arena - dining beachside was great
Azur - very good service, good food, formal feel
Epazote - the most foodie-oriented of the restaurants
Tramonto - my experience here ranged from disappointed one trip to off the charts great the next.

The only one we were really underwhelmed both times with was Gong.

There is also a taco place on the top floor of the plaza. Great and very busy. Highly recommend but not with coupons.

the buffet, Del Lago, was the best place for breakfast. There are other options, all smaller with fewer offerings.

daburck

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resort Escondido
What is the cost?
Will have to look up our cost...definitely cheaper than buying each meal separately. As I recall, we had to ask for meal plan upon check in.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Just got here yesterday; Costa Arena and Alexa Social House are closed through October 19th for the low season. Mayan Palace pool is closed, too; not sure when it reopens, but the sign there directs guests to the GM/GB pools.