• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which exchange company do you recommend?

Annielow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamanté
Newbie timeshare owner here! Wanted some advice on exchange company experiences. Pls share and provide your recommendations! I've heard of RCI and II. My timeshare is located in cabo. Thx

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Which timeshare in Cabo? Not all timeshares exchange in each company, so without the specific name the answer will not be very helpful.

Also, do you want to exchange regularly or just occasionally? And do you own an annual timeshare, or an every other year timeshares? What size is your unit? And lastly, where would you like to travel?

RCI resort directory: https://www.rci.com/resort-directory/landing
Interval International resort directory: https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1500

There are some lesser known exchange companies that could also work for you (DAE, SFX, Trading Places).

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
The short answer is the one that your timeshare is associated with. Most timeshares are in either II or RCI and you can only use the one. Some are associated with both and you can choose. If the latter, then you want the one that has the resorts you want to exchange into or join both and cover everything. If you want to exchange into Disney, you have to use RCI since Disney is associated with RCI and not II.
There are smaller exchange companies that tend to specialize is specific areas so again, it depends on where you want to exchange.

Sue

Annielow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamanté
I own an annual timeshare at Diamanté in cabo. 1 bedroom with full kitchen and 6 rounds of golf at El Cardonal.

I'm interested in exchanging every other year and HI is always a favorite destination.

Thx for the reply. I just got information that my resort only allows for exchanges on II. Any feedback you have on them would be great! I'm searching the forums too

Which timeshare in Cabo? Not all timeshares exchange in each company, so without the specific name the answer will not be very helpful.

Also, do you want to exchange regularly or just occasionally? And do you own an annual timeshare, or an every other year timeshares? What size is your unit? And lastly, where would you like to travel?

RCI resort directory: https://www.rci.com/resort-directory/landing
Interval International resort directory: https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1500

There are some lesser known exchange companies that could also work for you (DAE, SFX, Trading Places).
a

Annielow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamanté
Thanks sue! Just got info on exchange allowance and I have to use II.

The short answer is the one that your timeshare is associated with. Most timeshares are in either II or RCI and you can only use the one. Some are associated with both and you can choose. If the latter, then you want the one that has the resorts you want to exchange into or join both and cover everything. If you want to exchange into Disney, you have to use RCI since Disney is associated with RCI and not II.
There are smaller exchange companies that tend to specialize is specific areas so again, it depends on where you want to exchange.

Sue
on exchange

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Resort at Diamante
Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico
RDI
icon_elite_small.png

Escape to an ocean-view residence club just minutes from downtown Cabo San Lucas. Accommodations have casually elegant decor with upscale bathrooms and kitchenettes. Enjoy majestic views of the Pacific coastline from your balcony, overlooking the 10-acre (4 hectares) Crystal Lagoon. The resort offers a tropical environment with family-friendly activities: Swim, stand-up paddleboard, kayak, or relax poolside. Guests have access to amenities in the complex including a championship golf course, fitness club, tennis courts, spa, gourmet restaurants, sports bar, and 24-hour member services.

NEW MEMBER RESORT

I had not heard of this one, so I looked it up. It sounds very nice.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Annie:
You will need to ask your Resort how soon you can reserve a unit to give to II. Is it one year in advance? or some other timeframe? You may have to pay the maintenance fees in advance to reserve the unit to be given to II.

You will also want to ask whether you can "request first", or if you must "deposit first".
Request first means you can set up a search in II, and it will match, pending your deposit being transferred to II.
Deposit first means you must call your Resort and ask them to give a week to II. You will need to ask whether you can select the week, or whether the Resort always selects the week. If you are allowed to choose the week, you want the strongest trade power possible during the season that you own. For example, late Jan & Feb seem to be desirable weeks in Cabo. Also, Christmas & New Years.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
For Hawaii exchanges through II, start reading all the threads on Hawaii along with the reviews to sort out what resorts you are interested in. You'll want to determine the quality of the resort, i.e. do you want high end finishes or is formica and white appliances ok in the kitchen? Do you want a resort with lots of activities, or just a place to sleep? Then put in a request for when and what you want. Provide as many options as possible both in dates and resorts. I always list the specific resorts I want rather than a location to avoid getting booked into someplace I don't want.
Also, read through the sightings threads to see when bulk deposits tend to come in from your desired resorts and plan to have your request in before that happens. The sightings thread is only for tug members so consider joining tug; it's the best $15 you'll ever spend.

Sue

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Annielow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamanté
Thanks Sue- I did join TUG and paid the $15 fee this past weekend but read that my log in for TUG does not translate into TUGBB so I had to create another account. When I did this my TUG membership didn't show up... I've been looking in the settings but can't seem to figure out how to link my profile as a member... any advice? Sorry- tots newbie here

For Hawaii exchanges through II, start reading all the threads on Hawaii along with the reviews to sort out what resorts you are interested in. You'll want to determine the quality of the resort, i.e. do you want high end finishes or is formica and white appliances ok in the kitchen? Do you want a resort with lots of activities, or just a place to sleep? Then put in a request for when and what you want. Provide as many options as possible both in dates and resorts. I always list the specific resorts I want rather than a location to avoid getting booked into someplace I don't want.
Also, read through the sightings threads to see when bulk deposits tend to come in from your desired resorts and plan to have your request in before that happens. The sightings thread is only for tug members so consider joining tug; it's the best $15 you'll ever spend.

Sue
Thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you look under your user name on the left, you will see that you are still showing as a guest. When you joined, you were sent a membership code to add to your user profile to change your status to "member." For all the details, click on HELP at the top of the page and scroll all the way down to the bottom link.

Annielow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamanté
Thank you! I can reserve for 2018 starting in December.

I'll call and ask what the requirements are for selecting the week. Great info! Much appreciated

Annie:
You will need to ask your Resort how soon you can reserve a unit to give to II. Is it one year in advance? or some other timeframe? You may have to pay the maintenance fees in advance to reserve the unit to be given to II.

You will also want to ask whether you can "request first", or if you must "deposit first".
Request first means you can set up a search in II, and it will match, pending your deposit being transferred to II.
Deposit first means you must call your Resort and ask them to give a week to II. You will need to ask whether you can select the week, or whether the Resort always selects the week. If you are allowed to choose the week, you want the strongest trade power possible during the season that you own. For example, late Jan & Feb seem to be desirable weeks in Cabo. Also, Christmas & New Years.

Annielow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamanté
If you look under your user name on the left, you will see that you are still showing as a guest. When you joined, you were sent a membership code to add to your user profile to change your status to "member." For all the details, click on HELP at the top of the page and scroll all the way down to the bottom link.
Thank you. I just checked and I only received 2 emails since joining. A recipe order number and a welcome to TUG email. No confirmation number though...

Annielow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamanté
The Resort at Diamante
Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico
RDI
icon_elite_small.png

Escape to an ocean-view residence club just minutes from downtown Cabo San Lucas. Accommodations have casually elegant decor with upscale bathrooms and kitchenettes. Enjoy majestic views of the Pacific coastline from your balcony, overlooking the 10-acre (4 hectares) Crystal Lagoon. The resort offers a tropical environment with family-friendly activities: Swim, stand-up paddleboard, kayak, or relax poolside. Guests have access to amenities in the complex including a championship golf course, fitness club, tennis courts, spa, gourmet restaurants, sports bar, and 24-hour member services.

NEW MEMBER RESORT

I had not heard of this one, so I looked it up. It sounds very nice.
What does the icon with "RDI" represent? Any way to search and see if Diamanté has strong exchange power?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Unfortunately, timeshares in Mexico don't have strong exchange power, because Mexico has more supply than demand.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
What does the icon with "RDI" represent? Any way to search and see if Diamanté has strong exchange power?

The icon means Diamante is a premier resort (which is great) but a 1BR limits trading power, as does your location (as Denise said).

Further limiting some options is that Marriotts can only be seen by other Marriott deposits during their first month or so of availability (similar situation with Starwood). But unbranded and Shell resorts in Hawaii will have some availability and Marriotts and Starwood/Westins will show up in lower demand periods if you check the sightings board for historical posts.

As people will tell you, your best bet is to request early rather than simply looking at what is available online (that is just the leftovers after other requests have matched.)

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
It's odd that you have to wait until December to reserve a week for 2018. Usually you can book a year in advance.

At any rate, I would call and talk to someone at you resort to learn the in-and-outs. Every resort is a little different, and since yours is a new resort no one has any experience with it yet.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Every timeshare in Interval has a 3 digit code. This one is RDI based on the name Resort at Diamante. One can search for resorts by entering their codes.
Your trade power will be based upon the week which ends up being deposited into Interval. The blue icon means "Elite", Interval's highest quality rating for a resort.