• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which exchange system do you like the best and why?

TravelinGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara, HGVC Boulevard, Summit at Massanutten, Grandview
Has anyone used RCI Points (especially soon-to-expire ones), for car rentals, flights, restaurants, hotel stays, etc? If so, what's your impression -- were they a good value?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thought we pretty much exhausted all sites. Two thousand off a $7,000 cruise is over 25% discount.
As long as your Myrtle Beach week MF + ~$600 (kickbacks by travel agencies) + II exchange fee for cruise < $2000, then you got a decent deal. I have done the cruise exchange in II before, it was pretty much a wash after adding the MF + exchange fee. Those were the days before we learned of perks from travel agencies. II offered a free specialty dining as perk for us.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The best value exchange "system" is doing direct trades with other TUG members for free!

A problem I have is that some of my timeshares are simply too expensive to use as traders in Interval (it makes more sense to rent them out when we don't use them), but I enjoy staying in comparable resorts. Happily, I've been able to work out a couple of private exchanges with Tuggers to get exactly what we wanted. A great bonus with an owner-to-owner exchange is you can get owner privileges like fixed units, fixed views, no resort fees, etc. I'd love to see more Tuggers participate in the Marketplace Exchange!

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
The best value exchange "system" is doing direct trades with other TUG members for free!
A TUG Marketplace Exchange is certainly the best value if you can find something that works for both parties.

I just completed my half of an exchange with TUG member Lorrie. She owns a couple of July weeks at the New Smyrna Beach, Florida Coconut Palms I Resort. It is a nice cozy Silver Crown resort with a very good location. I reserved a week for her at my Silver Crown resort near Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN. Lorrie has an active July 2019 exchange ad for this resort.

Be sure to check out the Marketplace before depositing your week with an exchange company. Joe

phyllispsu

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluetree Resort
The main reason why I dumped my timeshares and now only rent is because of RCI. In my opinion, their fees to do just any transaction is simply ridiculous. The icing on the cake for me was when they tripled the fees to keep your points if not used within a certain timeframe. Now weeks and points that you paid for through maintenance fees are being attacked through extension charges. In my experience, I had over 300 weeks points worth about 8 k taken from me because I forgot to extend and told they can never be recovered. My response was to dump RCI asap and the timeshares attached.

Anyway, one day I may reconsider buying a timeshare resale again. I would like to learn from TUGGERS which exchange you like a why. I am especially curious on the reasonability of fees to exchange and any other charges. Quality and quantity of exchanges available would be awesome to know as well. Also, from your experience have fees stayed reasonable for a period of time?

Thank you all for your experienced and frank opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never tried RCI but II is been great to use . I own in Orlando and my husband loves Florida so I use my timeshare almost every year sometimes I go to Orlando twice by using a AC or get away. I have also found weeks for as low as $100 -$200 through Timeshareaid.net or Daelive.com they both are free to sign up .

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I guess I am not as familiar with the issues of RCI, I have a direct link through my HGVC ownership. We have two properties which puts 15400 points in the RCI bank for use per year; since RCI allows booking up to two years we have 30800 points to use. When we book with HGVC, the point used reduce what's in RCI. I don't pay a membership for RCI but do pay an exchange fee. Booked a 1 BR Divi Phoenix Beach Villas for a 6 days, cost 2720 points and 82.00. I thought that was a good deal. We have never had any issues getting what we want with an RCI exchange.

We just bought a resale at the Marriott Surf Club and now exploring whether to purchase a II membership. Any thoughts?

Based on what I have read from other TUGGERS II is a very good exchange company. So, based on that, it won’t hurt to try II.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike S

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ther
At one point I owned 33 timeshares. I was using them to retire (most all in a row at same resort). Many were with Interval, most with RCI. I'm down to 5 now of which only 1 do I always use. They're RCI. I found many (but not most) of Interval units were way better (Marriott's, Westin, etc). Many were only so so. RCI didn't have the cream units but most were pretty good. RCI's fees are outrageous. Intervals are too high also. But what I really feel is the big insult, RCI CLEARLY takes the good units and rents them themselves for $$$$. Members don't get a fair shot at them. I owned Paris and if I banked it, it would NEVER appear. It was always up for rent. That's why most units on RCI (and likely Interval too) are crap. They appear to skim the good ones for themselves to rent. (I wonder if that would be a good class action lawsuit?)

Personally...I've found that Royal-Holiday points work best for us. I have 4 contracts of these. They expire (a monster plus because at the end they just end and you don't have to fight to get out), there's no fee at all to use your points or push them forward one year, maintenance fees are reasonable (not low but ok), and they have hotels and apartment hotels in cities that don't have timeshares at all (like Rome, NYC, etc), and they have many of the same timeshares that appear on RCI. But their not technically a timeshare company although they work almost identically.
There was a class action lawsuit against rci for doing exactly what you stated years ago.
Unfortunately the lawyers got most of the settlement
I switched to II and I’m very happy