• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why are there no reviews on RCI or Tug for the Lifetime in Hawaii Resort

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I noticed that there are no reviews or ratings on RCI or Tug for the Lifetime in Hawaii Resort. I have seen reviews before and it has received a Gold Crown rating in the past.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
I think it is the same facility as Royal Kuhio. At least that's what lots of Tuggers who have posted reviews under Royal Kuhio indicate. I imagine they are different owners association in the same high rise.
Jack

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Most of the owners that I ever see post about it, usually mention that they get a bunch of RCI points. So maybe many of the weeks get deposited.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Reviews are under Royal Kuhio. There are multiple associations in the same building, and Lifetime in Hawaii owns a few floors only.

While that may be true for TUG, I know I saw them in RCI under "Lifetime in Hawaii". It is a separate resort number 1138 so reviews should be assigned to that in RCI.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
While that may be true for TUG, I know I saw them in RCI under "Lifetime in Hawaii". It is a separate resort number 1138 so reviews should be assigned to that in RCI.

Yes, sorry, I was talking about TUG only. Didn't RCI switch to TripAdvisor reviews awhile back? I could see their crack technical team messing thay up when they made a change somehow.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Bizaro is rough. Rci reviews are linked to trip advisor.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bizaro is rough. Rci reviews are linked to trip advisor.
Yes and there are no reviews and no Gold Crown rating like it had previously. When I first called RCI I was told by the call center person and her supervisor to contact the resort which is illogical since it is RCI reviews and ratings not the resorts!! When I wouldn't accept that answer I was told to write to RCI about this and I did not receive a reply. While I have gotten a lot of nice vacations from RCI for exchanges as well as Extra Vacations, I believe their customer service when it comes to the difficult or unusual questions or concerns leaves a lot to be desired. It seems that they have a lot of call center and entry level people working there, but they don't have, or don't pay enough to recruit or retain, top people to supervise and guide those entry level people.

mmthomas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lifetime is still a going concern. They do work with II now as well as RCI. I made a deposit with II last year. The October 2018 newsletter says they are selling units for $1000 each week. All units floating time. You need to pay the yearly fee if you reserve in advance. If you do not reserve a year in advance you will likely get the mountain view instead of ocean view. Yearly fee now is $570. They are SAT-SAT only. Updates discussed in the newsletter are: Quartz kitchen counter tops, new doors on cabinets, stainless steel sinks, faucets and garbage disposals. replaced all beds (no discussion of sleeper sofa). I noticed elevator controls were modernized when I last visited (2017). 4 person max occupancy is enforced. Rental wifi available. The ground lease is expiring in the next 20 years or so for the entire building. It is uncertain if the building will be released (maybe to different use) or destroyed when the ground lease expires. Mixed occupancy between owner occupied units and various rented and timeshare units in the Royal Kuhio building. Lifetime exchangers and owners get free parking for the week used (a big deal in Waikiki). Lifetime office is not on the ground floor. You have to get keys from guard after hours.

erinnr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an owner with Lifetime. The comments above (mmthomas) seem accurate to me. There is also a large laundry room on the 7th floor and the pool area was being renovated as of this past March/April. There is a bus stop right out front where many of The Bus lines stop. And you are just a block away from the Ala Wai and two blocks away from the waterfront properties and shopping centers.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I've been a happy owner (and frequent poster here in TUG) with Lifetime in Hawaii since 2003. I cannot speak highly enough of the value of this resort. I'm reminded of it just today, when the spring owners' newsletter arrived here in Milwaukee (where it is just 65F outside). I am surprised however, that there are no TUG reviews for them, however, as I know I have personally done them including photos from units we've stayed in over the years.

Yes there is a continued sale of floating (1-52) weeks for $1,000. The 2020 maintenance fee remains $570 (for the 3rd consecutive year). And parking is free for guests (owners, guests/renters from owners and exchangers). Royal Kuhio is the building and yes, there are multiple timeshare groups plus year-round owners/residents in the high rise building.

The POA of Lifetime of Hawaii doesn't have "floors" per se, but a number of units (40 in total) located on a few floors. The master lease agreement term is through 12/31/41. So anyone buying in now for $1,000 will surely get their money's worth over the course of the next 22 years in my opinion. (I'll be 84 years old then, so it's not an issue for me!) FYI if you buy two weeks at $1,000 each, they will give you a third for free! As I get closer to retirement, this is something we're considering doing so as to have the possibility of going to "live" in Hawaii for four weeks every winter.

For anyone planning a visit soon, it should be noted the 7th floor recreation area where the pool is, is still under renovation. From the spring newsletter just received "The 7th floor recreation deck remains closed in certain areas while renovations and improvements continue for the pool and pool deck area . . . for now the work is slated to continue through the summer . . . "

As for trading in with RCI, I'm a frequent poster about the TPU value I have received. I deposited my 2019 week about a year ago. Was initially given 48 TPU but a recent review of my RCI account shows they upped that to 53. Back a couple of years ago, I deposited our 2018 week and received the 48 TPU. We used that for two weeks in Scotland plus a third week in Vegas for business. Three weeks of timesharing for essentially $570 in MF plus around $700 in exchange fees. You cannot beat that!

And as a general comment, I actually rarely deposit into RCI. We have used it

A little deeper history . . . when I purchased my week in 2002 I paid around $3,000 for it and the MFs were $299. They were unsustainable and we did have a special assessment over three years to do interior soft goods and appliance updates. Since that time, the board and management company have been vigilant to assure appropriate financial management to including building reserves for the long-term health of the property.

Here is a summary of our use since owning it (2003-2021):
We've stayed there 3 times (2003, 2005 and 2009)
We've rented to family/friends 4 times (2004, 2007, 2008 and 2013)
We've bartered for the AK RV gig 4 times for 8 years' usage (2010/2011; 2014/2015; 2016/2017 and 2020/2021)
We've deposited/exchanged through RCI 4 times: 2006 week for week exchange; 2012 first time into RCI for TPUs (45) and got 1 week in Ireland; 2018 for 48 TPUs and got 2 weeks in Scotland plus a week in Vegas; 2019 for 53 TPUs, trades TBD by 12/31/21.

If anyone has any questions about the resort, especially if you're considering buying a week there, feel free to contact me.

TS Von

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've been a happy owner (and frequent poster here in TUG) with Lifetime in Hawaii since 2003. I cannot speak highly enough of the value of this resort. I'm reminded of it just today, when the spring owners' newsletter arrived here in Milwaukee (where it is just 65F outside). I am surprised however, that there are no TUG reviews for them, however, as I know I have personally done them including photos from units we've stayed in over the years.

Yes there is a continued sale of floating (1-52) weeks for $1,000. The 2020 maintenance fee remains $570 (for the 3rd consecutive year). And parking is free for guests (owners, guests/renters from owners and exchangers). Royal Kuhio is the building and yes, there are multiple timeshare groups plus year-round owners/residents in the high rise building.

The POA of Lifetime of Hawaii doesn't have "floors" per se, but a number of units (40 in total) located on a few floors. The master lease agreement term is through 12/31/41. So anyone buying in now for $1,000 will surely get their money's worth over the course of the next 22 years in my opinion. (I'll be 84 years old then, so it's not an issue for me!) FYI if you buy two weeks at $1,000 each, they will give you a third for free! As I get closer to retirement, this is something we're considering doing so as to have the possibility of going to "live" in Hawaii for four weeks every winter.

For anyone planning a visit soon, it should be noted the 7th floor recreation area where the pool is, is still under renovation. From the spring newsletter just received "The 7th floor recreation deck remains closed in certain areas while renovations and improvements continue for the pool and pool deck area . . . for now the work is slated to continue through the summer . . . "

As for trading in with RCI, I'm a frequent poster about the TPU value I have received. I deposited my 2019 week about a year ago. Was initially given 48 TPU but a recent review of my RCI account shows they upped that to 53. Back a couple of years ago, I deposited our 2018 week and received the 48 TPU. We used that for two weeks in Scotland plus a third week in Vegas for business. Three weeks of timesharing for essentially $570 in MF plus around $700 in exchange fees. You cannot beat that!

And as a general comment, I actually rarely deposit into RCI. We have used it

A little deeper history . . . when I purchased my week in 2002 I paid around $3,000 for it and the MFs were $299. They were unsustainable and we did have a special assessment over three years to do interior soft goods and appliance updates. Since that time, the board and management company have been vigilant to assure appropriate financial management to including building reserves for the long-term health of the property.

Here is a summary of our use since owning it (2003-2021):
We've stayed there 3 times (2003, 2005 and 2009)
We've rented to family/friends 4 times (2004, 2007, 2008 and 2013)
We've bartered for the AK RV gig 4 times for 8 years' usage (2010/2011; 2014/2015; 2016/2017 and 2020/2021)
We've deposited/exchanged through RCI 4 times: 2006 week for week exchange; 2012 first time into RCI for TPUs (45) and got 1 week in Ireland; 2018 for 48 TPUs and got 2 weeks in Scotland plus a week in Vegas; 2019 for 53 TPUs, trades TBD by 12/31/21.

If anyone has any questions about the resort, especially if you're considering buying a week there, feel free to contact me.

TS Von

We have stayed at the property before and it was great when it had a Gold Crown Rating a few years ago. We have booked it again for the last week of December this year going into the New Year. However, my question is: Why are there no reviews or ratings in RCI for this resort? I contacted RCI and they are are dumb as rocks when it comes to questions that are out of their ordinary routine. So I am asking TUG Members the question. Perhaps owners or the board should contact them and demand an answer unless they know the answer. When I look for Gold Crown resorts to book I would not have booked there unless they had great reviews. Therefore, based on the ratings and reviews I not only wouldn't book there, I certainly wouldn't buy there.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
We have stayed at the property before and it was great when it had a Gold Crown Rating a few years ago. We have booked it again for the last week of December this year going into the New Year. However, my question is: Why are there no reviews or ratings in RCI for this resort? I contacted RCI and they are are dumb as rocks when it comes to questions that are out of their ordinary routine. So I am asking TUG Members the question. Perhaps owners or the board should contact them and demand an answer unless they know the answer. When I look for Gold Crown resorts to book I would not have booked there unless they had great reviews. Therefore, based on the ratings and reviews I not only wouldn't book there, I certainly wouldn't buy there.

My opinion as an owner at Lifetime in Hawaii for more than 15 years is that I really could not care less about RCI Gold Crown ratings!!!

The P/HOAs of timeshares frequently set that as the bar to achieve for guest services and amenities offered, in order to keep the trading power up. This resort has excellent trading power, so expending a lot of time & effort to juice the RCI rating up is pointless to me

As for buying there, that too would be an individual choice. Staying there, I can tell you it is a fine resort, ESPECIALLY given the price to purchase and the very reasonable MFs. Sure you can buy for literally 10's of thousands more, and pay upwards of $800 to $1,000 a year for MFs . . . but I doubt your "experience" at the higher priced resort would be significantly better enough to warrant the high costs to acquire and maintain. Hell, the free parking at LTIH makes it "Gold Crown" in my book!

One last thing about the RCI ratings . . . they require a pretty high volume of responses from exchange guests to be statistically valid. Too many cranky exchangers can bomb ratings just because they have very high and unfulfilled expectations. It's all subjective.

Being on this TUG forum, I'm going to assume you are a TUG member, but maybe not. If you are, you have feedback and reviews available to you. Frankly, who gives a rip what the RCI exchange community has said or rated a resort when you have TUG?

All of that said, here are just a few of my personal opinions as to why LTIH might not have Gold Crown status . . .
. . . units are all studios 4/2 in terms of exchanging
. . . WiFi is available for a fee (I believe this is still the case)
. . . the location is in a very busy urban area . . . you can hear street noise even 23 stories up
. . . the swimming pool on the 7th floor is in the shade after about midday
. . . there is a community laundry facility on the 7th floor . . . no individual laundry machines in each unit
. . . there are generally no resort hosted activities
. . . you must get your unit keys from the night guard when checking in after hours
. . . being in a mixed use high rise, there are factors beyond the control of the LTIH POA which could affect ratings (like the stinky fish that is cooked by year-round residents - some floors are worse than others)

On the upside . . . you will NEVER receive a lot of hassle about attending a timeshare presentation by LTIH! That alone should make it RCI Gold Crown status! :)

Supply & demand will continue to keep this timeshare resort at a high value for owners.

P.S. You very may have exchanged for the week I deposited into RCI for 2019, as I did deposit this year's use as week #52. Be thankful someone owned at LTIH and had a week to deposit so you could vacation in Hawaii over the Christmas holiday.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
My opinion as an owner at Lifetime in Hawaii for more than 15 years is that I really could not care less about RCI Gold Crown ratings!!!

The P/HOAs of timeshares frequently set that as the bar to achieve for guest services and amenities offered, in order to keep the trading power up. This resort has excellent trading power, so expending a lot of time & effort to juice the RCI rating up is pointless to me

As for buying there, that too would be an individual choice. Staying there, I can tell you it is a fine resort, ESPECIALLY given the price to purchase and the very reasonable MFs. Sure you can buy for literally 10's of thousands more, and pay upwards of $800 to $1,000 a year for MFs . . . but I doubt your "experience" at the higher priced resort would be significantly better enough to warrant the high costs to acquire and maintain. Hell, the free parking at LTIH makes it "Gold Crown" in my book!

One last thing about the RCI ratings . . . they require a pretty high volume of responses from exchange guests to be statistically valid. Too many cranky exchangers can bomb ratings just because they have very high and unfulfilled expectations. It's all subjective.

Being on this TUG forum, I'm going to assume you are a TUG member, but maybe not. If you are, you have feedback and reviews available to you. Frankly, who gives a rip what the RCI exchange community has said or rated a resort when you have TUG?

All of that said, here are just a few of my personal opinions as to why LTIH might not have Gold Crown status . . .
. . . the location is in a very busy urban area . . . you can hear street noise even 23 stories up
. . . there is a community laundry facility on the 7th floor . . . no individual laundry machines in each unit
. . . you must get your unit keys from the night guard when checking in after hours
. . . being in a mixed use high rise, there are factors beyond the control of the LTIH POA which could affect ratings (like the stinky fish that is cooked by year-round residents - some floors are worse than others)

On the upside . . . you will NEVER receive a lot of hassle about attending a timeshare presentation by LTIH! That alone should make it RCI Gold Crown status! :)

Supply & demand will continue to keep this timeshare resort at a high value for owners.

P.S. You very may have exchanged for the week I deposited into RCI for 2019, as I did deposit this year's use as week #52. Be thankful someone owned at LTIH and had a week to deposit so you could vacation in Hawaii over the Christmas holiday.
There are many resorts on rci and ii that do not have a rating that are great resorts. I own a few, hidden gems. What they all have in common is they are small resorts with no activities.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I own a few, hidden gems.

Oh, like diamonds in the rough? Been there.

One where we own now has horrible ratings, and we hope it stays that way.

:cool:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Wow, your response about the resort you own is very defensive. Almost like the lack of reviews and ratings are an insider intention. I like the resort and therefore, booked it again after staying there. I am not criticizing anything but the LACK of REVIEWS and RATINGS. My questions is how come there are no reviews or ratings. It doesn't get bad ratings; it get NO RATINGS!!!

Now to address your specific opinions about why it might not have a Gold Crown Status:
We own a number of timeshare weeks at HGVC Miami South Beach which is has a similar location and gets a Gold Crown rating.
.... The South Beach one bedroom units are small 4/2 and similar in size to the Lifetime Studios. They have no Lanai.
.... The South Beach WiFi is Complimentary, however, the weekly WiFi fee at Lifetime is very small.
.... The South Beach Location is on Ocean Drive which is very busy and the back is adjacent to Collins Ave. which is like Kalakaua Busy.
.... South Beach has NO swimming pool
.... South Beach only has a common community laundry facility
.... South Beach has no resort activities
.... South Beach does have a 24 hour front desk, however, getting the keys from the night guard at Lifetime after hours was not a problem. Not being able to activate the Wifi for a couple of days after arrival since no one was in the office for the holiday was a problem. I am going to see if I can prepay and have it activated when I get there.
.... South Beach has a full kitchen so smells are everywhere. We smell as well as generate stinky smells in many of the timeshares we stay at.

Finally, your comment about Free Parking making it Gold Crown in your book gives me a sense that parking and having a car on vacation is important to you. While we live with 3 cars in our family in our home on Long Island, we have stayed and enjoyed over 1000 nights without a car in Honolulu, South Beach, San Francisco, Las Vegas, New Orleans, and San Diego. One of reasons that we like Lifetime's location is that you don't need a car.

Finally, while the week we will be staying in Lifetime fit in nicely into our schedule, it is just one week of timeshare in the middle of our total 2019/2020 Hawaii timeshare trip which is starting in December on the Island of Hawaii and will be ending in Honolulu in May 2020.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
When has 497 reviews been considered lack of reviews?

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii deferred to Royal Kuhio, and there are 497 reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...-Royal_Kuhio_Resort-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

3.5 Very good
497 reviews

#16 of 52 Specialty lodging in Oahu

I have stayed in Lifetime in Hawaii once before and liked the resort very much. I don't think I consider those Royal Kuhio reviews compliments or accurate of the Lifetime in Hawaii section of this building that I recall. There are about 4 different timeshare systems in that building and Lifetime is one the best or the best. While I am not an owner perhaps owners or others that know the building better than I should address this issue further. I know years ago there were reviews of just Lifetime in Hawaii that were much better and RCI rated it Gold Crown. Perhaps something has changed and it is now as mediocre as the the Royal Kuhio reviews suggest.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I have stayed in Lifetime in Hawaii once before and liked the resort very much. I don't think I consider those Royal Kuhio reviews compliments or accurate of the Lifetime in Hawaii section of this building that I recall. There are about 4 different timeshare systems in that building and Lifetime is one the best or the best. While I am not an owner perhaps owners or others that know the building better than I should address this issue further. I know years ago there were reviews of just Lifetime in Hawaii that were much better and RCI rated it Gold Crown. Perhaps something has changed and it is now as mediocre as the the Royal Kuhio reviews suggest.

As DW would say, "Not my Monkey, not my circus." She loves to say that.

I was just trying to show where reviews seem to be hidden.

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Did you look onTrip Advisor?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't stayed there but I have been on property and seen a couple of rooms though it's been a few years. These properties with different systems in the same building which have different ratings are always an enigma. I don't put a lot of stock in Gold Crown with RCI but I do tend to be uncomfortable once we're below Silver Crown. I look at multiple ratings and review options including TUG, Timesharing Today, etc. I'm not a big fan of Trip Advisor but their sheer volume can be helpful. When I visited my judgement at the time was I didn't want to stay there unless I had a specific reason to, I see no reason that would change. I'd look at a condo rental and compare if it seemed like the right choice otherwise. The problem with GC or similar is there are technical qualifications thus I've seen many Silver Crown properties that to me were better than many GC and a large variation between GC (or II's ratings from a similar thought process).

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think I consider those Royal Kuhio reviews compliments or accurate of the Lifetime in Hawaii section of this building that I recall. There are about 4 different timeshare systems in that building and Lifetime is one the best or the best. While I am not an owner perhaps owners or others that know the building better than I should address this issue further. I know years ago there were reviews of just Lifetime in Hawaii that were much better and RCI rated it Gold Crown. Perhaps something has changed and it is now as mediocre as the the Royal Kuhio reviews suggest.
As DW would say, "Not my Monkey, not my circus." She loves to say that.

I was was just trying to show where reviews seem to be hidden.

It is not my circus either. But I have stayed there and will be again this December. I tried to get an RCI answer which I couldn't. All the Resorts that I own are Gold Crown. I was hoping that Lifetime Owners or their Board would get involved and realize that the resort that they own and represent did have excellent reviews and a Gold Crown Rating from RCI at one time and now it doesn't. WHY? WHY? WHY?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I consider those Royal Kuhio reviews compliments or accurate of the Lifetime in Hawaii section of this building that I recall. There are about 4 different timeshare systems in that building and Lifetime is one the best or the best. While I am not an owner perhaps owners or others that know the building better than I should address this issue further. I know years ago there were reviews of just Lifetime in Hawaii that were much better and RCI rated it Gold Crown. Perhaps something has changed and it is now as mediocre as the the Royal Kuhio reviews suggest.

It is not my circus either. But I have stayed there and will be again this December. I tried to get an RCI answer which I couldn't. All the Resorts that I own are Gold Crown. I was hoping that Lifetime Owners or their Board would get involved and realize that the resort that they own and represent did have excellent reviews and a Gold Crown Rating from RCI at one time and now it doesn't. WHY? WHY? WHY?
I believe RCI considers the information proprietary. Talking to management at the resort will likely give you a better insight.