• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why do airlines block their customers on social media?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...7e1948d55f4_story.html?utm_term=.fdb1f98d047a

Blocking accounts on Facebook or Twitter is common among social media users. But airlines do it, too. Based on interviews with airlines, other travel companies and travelers, as well as my experience mediating travel disputes, blocking customers appears to be on the rise.

Blocking stops you from being able to send a message to a company on social media. Often, but not always, it’s accompanied by the deletion of one of your offending posts. The block is sometimes temporary but usually indefinite.

Airlines block users for all kinds of reasons. Alaska Airlines, one of the most forward-looking ones on social media, even posts its blocking policy.

“We like conversations on our page, but comments that contain profanity, hate speech, spam or are otherwise offensive will be removed,” it warns. “Out of respect for our employees’ privacy, we reserve the right to hide or remove any post or comment that is disparaging or has negative intent toward our employees.”

Admittedly, the number of travelers who complain about their comments being deleted or blocked from airline sites, or any travel site, is relatively small. But it’s still an important issue.

Why does it matter when an airline blocks you? Part of the issue is the perception among users that an airline’s Facebook or Twitter presence is a quasi-public forum where customers have the right to free speech. Disabling the ability to post on Facebook or Twitter or removing comments can make a user feel powerless.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...7e1948d55f4_story.html?utm_term=.fdb1f98d047a

Why does it matter when an airline blocks you? Part of the issue is the perception among users that an airline’s Facebook or Twitter presence is a quasi-public forum where customers have the right to free speech. Disabling the ability to post on Facebook or Twitter or removing comments can make a user feel powerless.

the difficulty with the argument that you have the right to free speech is the understanding of what that really means. The source of the right in the U.S. is the First Amendment in the Bill of Rights. It doesn't give anyone an absolute right to free speech. It just says that Congress can't make a law abridging freedom of speech. This minds that it is a right against contrary action by the federal government. The right has been extended against actions by State and local governments as well. Of particular note, airlines in the U.S. are not agencies of the federal or state governments, so your right to free speech isn't against any action by them, as a general thing. As is the case with posting something on TUG that is unwelcome, posting something on a social media platform is not an act that gives you a right to insist that it stay there as a matter of free speech so that the owner of the platform cannot edit or remove it.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Common sense speech and free speech are on opposite ends of the Earth.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like you can't be prosecuted for telling your boss he is a jerk to his face. But don't be expect to keep your job for long either.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
And for common sense..... Don't post derogatory comments about your boss anywhere on the internet either.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Nor should you say:
"It's hard to believe I'm being paid so much $$ for doing so little."
... when the head-honcho is sitting in the booth behind yours.

And stops at your booth on the way out, and says:
"We need to find more for you to do."
So, then I say, "You know I was just kidding, right?"

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always heard it as you have the right to say anything as long as you understand that you are not protected from the consequences of said speech.

Always loved the line from the comedian White first name????? I had the right to remain silent but not the ability.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I have always heard it as you have the right to say anything as long as you understand that you are not protected from the consequences of said speech.

Always loved the line from the comedian White first name????? I had the right to remain silent but not the ability.

Ron "Tater Salad" White :D

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Voice of experience?

Yep.. See it right here on Tug many times. Folks here seem to think there is a protective shield on their opinion within these forums. Yet people
Here share be their inner thoughts about friends, relatives, neighbor, and co-workers consistently.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
You never know who's reading these forums. But bad habits will continue unabated.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the flip side maybe it's intentional. Sometimes I post opinions so the general public or individual may read my inner thoughts.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Especially when it related to bad timeshares and there management or sales practice.