• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why so many Harborside for sale?

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Why are there so many Atlantis Harborside’s for sale for free or dirt cheap? Is it bc the maint fees are high?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
MF's are high. More than half the year, a Vistana SVN can exchange into using less expensive SO's. The cost to transfer a unit is around $2000, so even if a week happens to have a little value it is often less than the cost to transfer. So free could mean you have to pay the transfer fee and then a $1600-$3200 MF's bill or it could mean free with the current owner paying those fees or somewhere in between.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Yes, after I wrote this I was also thinking that ppl may have bought there and then when their children get older, they don’t want to vacation there anymore.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
IMO, It’s also due to the homeowners association aggressively foreclosing and willing to dump the foreclosed units on the market in bunches.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Wonder why the transfer fees are so high?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Bahamian law requires all foreign deeds transferred to be overseen by a Bahamian lawyer. Most Bahamas timeshares are RTU. Harborside is one of the only deeded timeshares. Bahamas is a fairly poor country and the assumption is that owners at Harborside are rich and can afford all the taxes and fees heaped upon owners. Other foreign owners of property are also assumed to have the money for transfers. Transfers are based on the value of the property with $1500 or so being the minimal charged by the lawyer and recording fees and taxes on top of that.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Bahamian law requires all foreign deeds transferred to be overseen by a Bahamian lawyer. Most Bahamas timeshares are RTU. Harborside is one of the only deeded timeshares. Bahamas is a fairly poor country and the assumption is that owners at Harborside are rich and can afford all the taxes and fees heaped upon owners. Other foreign owners of property are also assumed to have the money for transfers. Transfers are based on the value of the property with $1500 or so being the minimal charged by the lawyer and recording fees and taxes on top of that.
Thanks for the info. I thought all those “free” timeshares looked too good to be true.

Mmm_Cheezits

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Atlantis
I have been trying to "sell" my Harborside week. Last year (2019) I posted it on ebay for $0 and got 2 responses. Both were asking about who would pay the transfer fees. While I would be more than willing to pay, I first needed to understand what was involved and how much it would be. After some research I discovered the need for a Bahamian lawyer (thank you for confirming). Still not sure how to engage one of them and how the transfer process would work. Any thoughts?

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually I don’t believe that is really the case. I have researched it and read the relevant Bahamian laws re: timeshares and real estate, and it only requires that the seller (if foreign) get an apostille, if the document is not prepared by a Bahamian attorney. It is certainly much easier and much less stressful to assign power of attorney to an attorney down there, but it’s not cheap. Getting an apostille in my state is $2 bucks. That plus postage, tax stamp certificate, and deed recording would be maybe $100 plus the minimum transfer tax which is around $250 If you did it yourself.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I have been trying to "sell" my Harborside week. Last year (2019) I posted it on ebay for $0 and got 2 responses. Both were asking about who would pay the transfer fees. While I would be more than willing to pay, I first needed to understand what was involved and how much it would be. After some research I discovered the need for a Bahamian lawyer (thank you for confirming). Still not sure how to engage one of them and how the transfer process would work. Any thoughts?
Paul Larkin did my closing and it wasn’t too expensive including the lawyer fee. www.timeshareclosinggroup.com/

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Maintenance fees are WAY too high for the amount of StarOptions you get. So they are horrible StarOption generators as a mandatory resort. You would only buy if you want to go there every year and if you don't go every year and you are flexible, then you just buy a much cheaper StarOption generator and book in through VSN. In many cases, the only way to get out is to give the week away for free, pay closing and transfer costs and also pay the next years maintenance fees. Perhaps foreclosure would be a cheaper option, would Vistana hit your credit with a default on a Bahamian deed? I doubt the foreclosure would be reported, but perhaps they would report unpaid MFs to the US credit reporting agencies.

Mmm_Cheezits

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Atlantis
Actually I don’t believe that is really the case. I have researched it and read the relevant Bahamian laws re: timeshares and real estate, and it only requires that the seller (if foreign) get an apostille, if the document is not prepared by a Bahamian attorney. It is certainly much easier and much less stressful to assign power of attorney to an attorney down there, but it’s not cheap. Getting an apostille in my state is $2 bucks. That plus postage, tax stamp certificate, and deed recording would be maybe $100 plus the minimum transfer tax which is around $250 If you did it yourself.
Fascinating. I had no idea there was another option.

RosemaryG

TUG Member
Reaction score
[DELETED: Advertising is forbidden in the discussion forums.]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Since the pandemic, I don't think HRA rents as well as it used to either.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Plus, you gotta fly to get there and flying ain't what it used to be. Those pretty, pleasant stewardesses now look like Otis Sistrunk. The other aspects of the flying experience have similarly gone downhill.

My wife won't fly. Doesn't like being groped. Fortunately, there are lots of places to go in the US.

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may be the anomaly but I love my Harborside EOY 2 bedroom non lock-off. With the VAT taxes added in the last few years, it makes staying there cost effective and enjoyable. I just returned from a week stay and the place was extremely well maintained, clean and impeccably landscaped. Never had an issue getting pool or beach chairs, staff were friendly and pleasant, and rides were lots of fun. Based on what it costs to run a resort and waterpark like Atlantis with all its amenities I don't think MFs are out of line (especially for the true 2 bedroom). Staff, maintenance, etc are expensive everywhere but on an island more so. If you can exchange in great. But for me I like being an owner. Never had an issue reserving. I am sure that will change when it becomes available to book with Marriott abound, but after just visiting and seeing how great the shape of Harborside and the resort is, I was impressed considering its age. Also their new airport that opened in the last few years is well run. Can't wait to return.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The VAT, Atlantis Facilities fee, and VSN dues really drives up the cost of the annual fees. Most HRA owners only own there so it seems to be out of control in comparison to owning other timeshares. Also, the plat plus 2 bedroom non lockoff isn’t so bad on the MF Ratio but I would still never own there just to use as a SO generator.

sail27bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
The VAT, Atlantis Facilities fee, and VSN dues really drives up the cost of the annual fees. Most HRA owners only own there so it seems to be out of control in comparison to owning other timeshares. Also, the plat plus 2 bedroom non lockoff isn’t so bad on the MF Ratio but I would still never own there just to use as a SO generator.
Agreed. I use my SVV as a SO generator. Harborside is similar to owning Hawaii--either use it or rent it because of the high fees. Trading (although I have done this 2x very successfully in 18 years) is not ideal.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Agreed. I use my SVV as a SO generator. Harborside is similar to owning Hawaii--either use it or rent it because of the high fees. Trading (although I have done this 2x very successfully in 18 years) is not ideal.
It could do very well in interval as well. Granted there are better lower cost traders out there, but the HRA can still do better in II than VSN in many cases.