• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why so much Mexico timeshare bashing?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I in the minority here, because I think Mexican timeshares get an undeserved bashing on TUG? There's a thread from last fall that's been resurrected about how awful Universal Vacation Club is, and I just don't get it. We own several Mexican timeshares (used to own more, but sold/gave some away), and they really aren't that different from our U.S. timeshares. Yes, the retail timeshare pitch can be brutal and full of empty promises, but so are the sales presentations in the U.S. We recently went to an owner update with Marriott, and the push to buy more points definitely stretched the truth (to put it kindly). We have repeatedly been invited to more "updates" with more incentives this month of traveling on Marriott points and Interval exchanges into Marriott, even though our first "update" stated this was the ONLY time we could get such a great deal. With the exception of Vidanta (which we've never done, because of their reputation for keeping you captive for the whole day), Mexican timeshares aren't that different.

I wish I had a magic wand to wave over naive travelers to make them incapable of buying a timeshare while they're having a good time on vacation! What happens to normal, rational thought on vacation???? We've run into honeymooners who bought timeshares with their college tuition or house downpayment money! REALLY? Why would you ever do that??? And why would you think that you can quit making payments on a contract without any consequences? Just because it's Mexico, does not give you a pass on poor decisions you regret making.

As for the UVC timeshare, we used to own a Gold week, and had no trouble using it and then giving it away when it no longer suited our needs. It took less than a week to find someone who thought it was perfect for them. Rant over. ;)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with you that Mexican timeshares are getting bashed on TUG alot. One reason is because of the general bad pre-sales and post-sales tactics of the salespeople. The second reason is from people here who do not wish to step foot into Mexico - we regularly read on TUG about "Don't buy Mexico timeshare because it is so easy to trade into." or "... the US Virgin Islands are so much better." I believe the first reason is valid but the second reason is nothing but irrational Mexican (timeshare) bashing.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
^ this.

Buy a timeshare anywhere with massive overcapacity and you will have zero equity. Orlando, Myrtle Beach, Cancun all hit that bucket.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
...which we've never done, because of their reputation for keeping you captive for the whole day...

That's probable the key there. If they have to keep you captive the whole day to try to sell you something, what does that tell you about the product? And the fact that they have to lie or stretch the truth?

I've never been in a Mexican TS so I can't give an expert opinion on them. But like TSs anywhere, here are some points to ponder:

1) If they're so great, why are they being listed in places like E-bay for a dollar and sometimes not garnering any bids?
2) Why is Profeco so popular and busy?
3) Why do these TS companies have "body snatchers" at airports?
4) Why do so many owners feel that it is in their best financial interests to default?

As with TSs anywhere, if you can rent for less than what an owner pays in MFs, then they are pretty much worthless. Another thing that hampers the value of some Mexican TSs are the ones with mandatory exorbitant AI fees.

Yes there are some happy owners but I would say the majority of Mexican TS owners fell unhappy because they bought based on lies by the sales people and also realize that they overpaid for a product.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
while there are some real slimeballs that work in TS sales in a number of resorts in the US...nothing compares to mexico anymore unfortunately :(

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
while there are some real slimeballs that work in TS sales in a number of resorts in the US...nothing compares to mexico anymore unfortunately :(

But this is too generic a term. Westin sells timeshare in Cancun and their practice is no different from if you were to sit with the Westin salespersons in California or Florida. There are many happy WLR owners and many non-WLR owners who love to visit WLR.

LarryPC above stated he has never been in a Mexican TS and yet he decided to comment on this thread. That puts him under "reason #2" in my post above.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We currently own 1 Mexican Timeshare - Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo. We bought it during the Recession and got Maintenance Fees waived and a lot of other extras thrown in. It is an All Inclusive. As a Member the Daily Food Fees are reduced and there are extra bennies as a Member. We greatly enjoy it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
westin/sheraton is also an american company, and subject to american laws.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
westin/sheraton is also an american company, and subject to american laws.

Just curious, but if someone (say a US citizen) had a bad experience with the Westin TS in Cancun, which US law enforcement agency would you suggest they contact, and what would you expect to happen?

The United States does not have sovereignty over Mexico (or other countries) and its laws are of no force or effect outside it's borders.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You MUST READ YOUR CONTRACT. Mexican TSs will honor what's in the contract, and each one- even written at the same resort on the same day to 2 different 'buyers' (nobody really buys) can be different. then there is the cost to transfer your RTU. Often it's many multiples of annual MFs, then there's the pervading issue of All Inclusive. They have found that food (sometimes steam table buffets) and watered down drinks are a major profit center. I love Mexico, and the service and amenities of the many luxurious resorts, but will NEVER own there as long as I can rent or exchange to non-AI resorts.

I don't consider the above to be bashing, only dealing with the realities as they exist.

Jim

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Just curious, but if someone (say a US citizen) had a bad experience with the Westin TS in Cancun, which US law enforcement agency would you suggest they contact, and what would you expect to happen?

The United States does not have sovereignty over Mexico (or other countries) and its laws are of no force or effect outside it's borders.
Assuming you are talking about a bad timeshare sale experience, no "US law enforcement agency" would deal with this in the United States on an individual basis either. The point being made by Brian (I presume) is that if you purchased a Mexican timeshare interest from Westin/Sheraton (a U.S. company) and had a legal claim against them, you could file suit in the U.S. Nothing to do with law enforcement.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
actually quite surprised that mexican timeshare sales tactic are being defended...lol

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming you are talking about a bad timeshare sale experience, no "US law enforcement agency" would deal with this in the United States on an individual basis either. The point being made by Brian (I presume) is that if you purchased a Mexican timeshare interest from Westin/Sheraton (a U.S. company) and had a legal claim against them, you could file suit in the U.S. Nothing to do with law enforcement.

I suppose you could, although it seems unlikely to me that a US court would decide they had jurisdiction over a transaction that happened in another country. Especially given one of the parties to the transaction is almost certainly a Mexican company.

While ILG is a US company, it has dozens of subsidiaries (see a complete list here: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1434620/000155837017001185/ilg-20161231ex2110633e8.htm) and many of them are Mexican companies. I suspect anyone buying at Lagunamar is actually buying from a Mexican company, and would likely need to sue that company if they wanted to sue.

Now, you could find a lawyer to sue over anything (if you're willing to pay) but that doesn't mean its a good idea.

I'm not defending Mexican sales practices at all, just saying that anyone thinking the US legal system will bail them out of a MX timeshare is probably naive.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
thinking that a US based company wont react differently to US based consumer complaints compared to a mexican one is equally silly!

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not stating or implying that I like the tactics of timeshare sales peeps in Mexico (or anywhere else), I'm just wondering why Mexican timeshares get such a bad rap in comparison? I've been to absolutely horrible timeshare presentations in the U.S. which were higher pressure than some Mexican ones. I've never bought retail, but love our five weeks of timesharing in Mexico, which have MF's way less than if we were to rent there.

Yes, there are "body snatchers" or "shark tanks" at some Mexican airports, but that is well known to anyone doing the slightest research on a destination. Tourist meccas in the U.S. have "information booths" to the same effect for the gullible. No one is forcing you to tour or buy a timeshare, though. As for Profeco, it would be nice if there was an equivalent agency in the U.S. to help foreign (or domestic) tourists who fall prey to U.S. timeshare sales tactics!

People need to use their heads when they are on vacation. They should not make a major financial commitment to something they don't understand. You don't get a stupid pass when you leave the country.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not stating or implying that I like the tactics of timeshare sales peeps in Mexico (or anywhere else), I'm just wondering why Mexican timeshares get such a bad rap in comparison?
The resorts are truly great and many people love going to them, as we do. I don't think anyone is bashing that. I think the bashing comes in when it comes to buying a Mexican timeshare. For the most part it doesn't really make a lot of sense. Mexico is kind of like Orlando. They both get their equal share of bashing and we actually own five timeshares in Orlando. It comes down to the over supply of timeshares in Mexico. For the most part they are all a pretty easy trade. So why buy when you can trade in relatively easy? The other thing seems to be that many of the timeshare in Mexico do not make it easy for those that want out to get out. High transfer fees make it impossible to get out except to end up defaulting. No one should be faced with having to default on their obligation just to get out of it. The timeshare companies shouldn't have high fees setup that inhibit resale transactions.

The other thing that keeps many people away is mandatory AI. When using a timeshare for exchange, mandatory AI makes very little sense. In many cases you can get an AI resort cheaper through a travel agent or broker. Very high mandatory AI fees are a huge turn off for many.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I don't know a thing about Mexican TS's, but maybe I can get a little education. I have never been interested in them because you can get such great package deals (out of Houston, anyway): RT airfare, 5 Star all inclusive food/drinks resorts, transfers from/to airport, basically everything5-7 night stays for in the $100-$125 per person day range. We went to the Royalton Riviera in Cancun in May 2016 for seven nights for $900 per person.... I always wondered how a TS could compete with this... We do enjoy going to Mexico occasionally...

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to "Mexican" timeshares several times and the only timeshare presentations that I have ever attended were the ones at Westin Lagunamar. It is easy to skip the body snatchers and say no while staying at the resort. These days my husband is usually the one who would say an occasional yes to the big brand ones (Vistana, Marriott, Worldmark, Hyatt..) even when I say no, for a round of golf or something. He knows to say no to all others. It is EASY to escape timeshare presentation invitation in Mexico or anywhere. Whenever I read about complaints on TUG about "Under pressure I attended a timeshare presentation etc...", I always quietly say a yeah... right.... It is basic greed when one says yes to a presentation - and that applies to myself when I go to one.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I arrived at Paradise Village, Puerta Vallarta, today. No intention of doing presentation. However, the woman I spoke to was very nice and with the promise of $150 resort credit, I caved. Set appointment for 1:30 Monday. Includes lunch, so figure the late start time will mean it can't go all day.

I have nothing but time on this trip, so I'll consider it working to earn some spa treatments.

I will report back in a few days.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have been offered USA $400-$800 cash by the street folks. The deal was we have to had been in Cabo less than 48 hours and not yet attended any other time share presentations (the Resorts must share names). Unfortunately when we were offered the USA $800 we had been in Cabo more than 48 hours and we had attended the USA $400 time share presentation at the Gran Mayan. We negociated the USA $400 to Pesos. It ended up being 7,200 Pesos, which was the 18 to 1 exchange rate at the time.

I have always wanted to attend the other presentation that the Mexican couples attend to hear and see what they are offered.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I am not stating or implying that I like the tactics of timeshare sales peeps in Mexico (or anywhere else), I'm just wondering why Mexican timeshares get such a bad rap in comparison? I've been to absolutely horrible timeshare presentations in the U.S. which were higher pressure than some Mexican ones. [...]

Yes, there are "body snatchers" or "shark tanks" at some Mexican airports, but that is well known to anyone doing the slightest research on a destination. Tourist meccas in the U.S. have "information booths" to the same effect for the gullible. [...]
IMO, you answered your own question, with just a glimpse of the reasons why people "bash" Mexican TSs.

There are no "body snatchers" nor "shark tanks" in the U.S. The airports would not allow them, nor would the federal and state consumer protection entities. Yes, people have claimed to have been held hostage by Marriott in Vegas, but there are no widespread tales about losing an entire day of vacation at a presentation after being taken to a remote location with no real means of return. Calling the police in Mexico does not provide the same experience as calling 911 in the U.S. Simply stated, the laws, rules, protections, and redress in Mexico simply are not what they are in the U.S.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, you answered your own question, with just a glimpse of the reasons why people "bash" Mexican TSs.

There are no "body snatchers" nor "shark tanks" in the U.S. The airports would not allow them, nor would the federal and state consumer protection entities. Yes, people have claimed to have been held hostage by Marriott in Vegas, but there are no widespread tales about losing an entire day of vacation at a presentation after being taken to a remote location with no real means of return. Calling the police in Mexico does not provide the same experience as calling 911 in the U.S. Simply stated, the laws, rules, protections, and redress in Mexico simply are not what they are in the U.S.

Who in their right mind would let "body snatchers" take them to remote places and be "held hostage"? Mexico is known for kidnapping. Anyone allowing themselves to be taken to unknown places with the promise of money/incentive is just too careless with their lives. It can happen anywhere.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with you that Mexican timeshares are getting bashed on TUG alot. One reason is because of the general bad pre-sales and post-sales tactics of the salespeople. The second reason is from people here who do not wish to step foot into Mexico - we regularly read on TUG about "Don't buy Mexico timeshare because it is so easy to trade into." or "... the US Virgin Islands are so much better." I believe the first reason is valid but the second reason is nothing but irrational Mexican (timeshare) bashing.
I totally agree, I would take a Vida resort any day of the week over US virgin islands.
Much cheaper as well.

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's probable the key there. If they have to keep you captive the whole day to try to sell you something, what does that tell you about the product? And the fact that they have to lie or stretch the truth?

I've never been in a Mexican TS so I can't give an expert opinion on them. But like TSs anywhere, here are some points to ponder:

1) If they're so great, why are they being listed in places like E-bay for a dollar and sometimes not garnering any bids?
2) Why is Profeco so popular and busy?
3) Why do these TS companies have "body snatchers" at airports?
4) Why do so many owners feel that it is in their best financial interests to default?

As with TSs anywhere, if you can rent for less than what an owner pays in MFs, then they are pretty much worthless. Another thing that hampers the value of some Mexican TSs are the ones with mandatory exorbitant AI fees.

Yes there are some happy owners but I would say the majority of Mexican TS owners fell unhappy because they bought based on lies by the sales people and also realize that they overpaid for a product.
Every single point you make is true for ALL ts. "We should all get together and file a complaint with the attorney general"
This has to be the number one quote on tug.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score

Um, there is even a body snatcher at the Poconos at that discount store on the way to Shawnee village.