TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Williamsburg in June

Discussion in 'US - Eastern States Timesharing' started by VegasBella, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:27 PM.

1. VegasBella

VegasBella TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Inn
    Avenue Plaza
    Riviera Beach & Spa
    We are considering a trip to Williamsburg in June next year. We would be going primarily for our son to attend a day camp. But of course, we like the idea of going there to explore that part of the country and to introduce our son to American history. Currently, we are planning on staying at Wyndham Patriot's Place.

I am hoping TUGgers can offer some suggestions for our family. It will most likely just be the three of us, two adults and a child age 8. One key thing - we would like to avoid as much gun fire noise as possible. Bonus if you can recommend vegan food.

I'm excited because I have ancestors who fought in the American Revolution. (I haven't joined DAR but I am considering it.)

2. jme

jme TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriotts:
    Grande Ocean x 6
    Barony x 2
    OceanWatch x 1
    Manor Club x 1
    Waterside by Spin x 2
    Sheraton Bdwy Plnt x 2
    ChurchStInnCharleston2
    Be ready for very hot weather.

And if you want to avoid any gun fire noise, it will preclude your 8-yo from seeing and forever remembering a most wonderful reenactment which occurs in the large field in front of the Governor's Mansion.
    It's impressive, and accurately reflects the Revolutionary War your ancestors fought it. Instead of avoiding it, I would take ear plugs or something. It's like going to Disney World and avoiding the rides.

Williamsburg is awesome, hope you'll love it.

VegasBella likes this.
  3. tonyg

tonyg TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    Acadia Village Resort
    Our last trip there was in 2007 and a mini-family get together. 3 youngsters that spent most of their time at Busch Gardens or the Water Park. There are special ticket deals out there. It was hot, but not the July/August hot. Williamsburg around the Colonial area has grown and changed yearly. You should be able to find vegan and anything else somewhere in town. A week in never enough, when we first started going we got annual passes and kept going as much as we could.

VegasBella likes this.
  4. VegasBella

VegasBella TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Inn
    Avenue Plaza
    Riviera Beach & Spa
    Well I don't think it compares to Vegas Summer heat. :D
    And the camp our son will be doing is for figure skating so we will be able to cool off at the rink quite a bit.

Maybe in the future or something but right now we don't want to experience that. Our city just had THE most deadly mass shooting in American history (excluding wars) and it's just too raw. Emotionally I don't think any of us can handle a reenactment.

Thanks for suggesting the water park. I think we might do that.

5. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    Actually the heat is worse than 120 in Vegas, IMO. Humidity and heat are brutal.

6. jme

jme TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriotts:
    Grande Ocean x 6
    Barony x 2
    OceanWatch x 1
    Manor Club x 1
    Waterside by Spin x 2
    Sheraton Bdwy Plnt x 2
    ChurchStInnCharleston2
    It was someone else who mentioned the water park but it's a great suggestion......
    Water Country is lots of fun when the weather is stifling. Busch Gardens theme park is also superb, but it'll be very hot if you do that.....
    very clean, still lots of fun.

So sorry for what your city endured recently (and will continue to endure) as a result of the unthinkable tragic event.
    The whole country holds you and others in our thoughts and prayers.

On a happier note, I think you will enjoy the many wonderful events and features you'll experience in Williamsburg---
    it's easily one of our favorite destinations.

In Colonial Williamsburg, the courthouse has a public trial daily, and once going in, featuring volunteer participants from the audience....
    lots of fun----- very lighthearted while immensely educational.

Also the many "authentic" shops and characters are especially fun. Many characters in Colonial garb will be waking around, and some tell stories on street corners which are historically accurate, of course, and very informative. Just a cool place! You may see a parade scheduled.....fun if you like the description listed.

FYI, the series TURN on Netflix will prepare you for Williamsburg, both in its story and with the wonderful acting.
    Many, many scenes are shot in Colonial Williamsburg, which lends a lot of credibility to the buildings, countryside surroundings, and taverns and homes......not to mention it's a very moving series, and you'll come away from that feeling proud and quite patriotic.
    That same feeling always happens whenever we visit Williamsburg anyway.........we hardly know how lucky we are to live in America.

If you don't watch the series before you go, at least watch it when you get back----you'll easily recognize the buildings lining the streets, the homes, & even restaurants (Shields Tavern is prominently displayed).

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...d=0ahUKEwjDg_KftfjXAhXKJiYKHUKDDZwQoioIlAEwCg

enjoy

VegasBella likes this.
  7. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

It's really none of my business but I don't understand -- if you're going because your son will be in a day camp, when will you be doing all the rest of these things? I hope you are able to because the Williamsburg-Yorktown-Jamestown area is perhaps the most history-rich place in the country. Add the proximity to Norfolk and the various attractions there and the possibility of a day trip to Jefferson's Monticello and I think you need another week!

Personally, I don't think you'll have any problem with the weather in June. I've never lived right in Williamsburg but we visit often. I have lived in the DC metro area for over 30 years and lived for several years in the Norfolk, VA Beach area. Neither is much different than Wmsburg. August can get intense but June is easily manageable.

Patriots' Place is nice but has very little in the way of resort amenities. An outdoor pool is pretty much it. Governors' Green would be my choice (actually IS my choice -- that's where we stay). Lots more to do on the resort. The other Wyndham facility is Kingsgate. It has the same kind of activities as Governors' Green but adds a very large video game room (which is paid for with a $6/day resort fee). If your son (or you <grin>) are into video games, Kingsgate might be a place to consider.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 12:14 PM
    VegasBella and vacationhopeful like this.
  8. hjtug

hjtug TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Some places we have enjoyed visiting in the Williamsburg area besides Colonial Williamsburg: Yorktown Battlefield (part of Colonial National Historic Site); Historic Jamestown; Busch Gardens; free Jamestown Ferry; Berkeley Plantation on the James River; Nauticus naval museum in Norfolk home of the battleship Wisconsin - maybe an hours drive if you can avoid rush hour traffic; Monticello - two hours at least.

VegasBella likes this.
  9. wackymother

wackymother TUG Member

The visitors' center at Colonial Williamsburg can be really helpful. If you write ahead about your concerns, I'm sure they will be able to guide you. They have full calendars and will be able to tell you which activities are recommended for you each day.

One thing we really loved when our kids were younger was the Grand Medley at the Kimball Theater. It's a silly, fun show. I have to say I honestly don't remember 100 percent if there are any gunfire sounds. I don't think so, because the show is geared to kids, but you could ask the visitors' center to be positive. I hope you are able to go!

Water Country is great. Jamestown is excellent and has special activities for kids. I've never been to Yorktown, but I hear it's good. We went to Nauticus and felt like it wasn't really worth the drive; we liked the activities in Williamsburg more. The Abby Aldrich Museum has some great art activities for kids and a wonderful collection...and it is beautifully overly air conditioned.

We also loved all the behind-the-scenes tours. Really interesting and informative about the workings of Colonial Williamsburg.

VegasBella likes this.
  10. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    We did the Williamsburg trip many years ago in April. We also did a Candleight ghost tour in the evening which was fun.

Our son liked the Jamestown archeological dig site and Busch Gardens. We also drove down to Virginia Beach for a full day.

VegasBella likes this.
  11. tonyg

Resorts Owned:
    Acadia Village Resort
    Yes, that ghost tour was fun. You might also want to try the Peanut soup at one of the Colonial taverns.

mpumilia likes this.
  12. jme

jme TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriotts:
    Grande Ocean x 6
    Barony x 2
    OceanWatch x 1
    Manor Club x 1
    Waterside by Spin x 2
    Sheraton Bdwy Plnt x 2
    ChurchStInnCharleston2
    Berkeley AND Shirley Plantations....both are great, and both are fairly close----any others are not worth the time. Nice drive, great half-day.
    Monticello is a favorite----2-hr drive, but doable....we just visited again two months ago (October) ----beautiful foliage, perfect Fall day, love that place.

Too bad you can't stay at Marriott's Manor Club----it's one of the nicest timeshare resorts in the country, continually rated highly, and beautiful villas, gorgeous grounds. Nice golf course.

VegasBella likes this.
  13. VegasBella

VegasBella TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Inn
    Avenue Plaza
    Riviera Beach & Spa
    So many great ideas! Thank you all!
    Keep 'em coming!

We may add a few days to our trip and/or some of this stuff will be done by just the grown-ups :)
    We also want it as an escape plan in case the camp doesn't work out.

14. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

May I suggest you visit Jamestown Fort, Jamestown Festival Park, Yorktown Battlefield Park for the history student. Fort Monroe and Fort Wool in Hampton, Virginia. Please take a visit to see the three (3) replica ships that sailed to the new world. To really enjoy Colonial Williamsburg.

You will need to purchase a Colonial Williamsburg pass to enjoy all the Colonial Williamsburg exhibits; some exhibits are free. Please bring you cameras for some awesome photos.

You can also visit the largest Naval Complex in the world locate at Norfolk,Virginia (their maybe some aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines in port).

In Norfolk, Virginia the battleship Wisconsin is on display.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 10:07 AM
    VegasBella likes this.
  15. Laurie

Laurie TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Patriots' Place has the best location for Colonial Williamsburg IMO, almost walking distance and 5 min. from the parking lot. I really liked it and would be happy there again for that reason, since we did many evening activities there as well as throughout the day.

VegasBella likes this.
  16. mdurette

mdurette TUG Member

Yes...this. We did Williamsburg twice is June. The first time we thought the weather was a fluke - so darn hot and humid. The next year - the same. I will take dry Vegas summer heat any day over high humidity! We did end up spending most of our time at Water Country - the resort pools were so warm and crowded it grossed me out.

OP - if you think you may go to Water Country or Bush Gardens. Check out the super grover pass at Sesame Place. Great price and it will get you into all the SeaWorld Parks for 2018. If you are planning on another location next year with a SW park, well worth it!

17. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

The average temperature will be between 79 to 87 degrees. In Virginia it is hot and very humid. It is not dry heat like Vegas.

18. VegasBella

VegasBella TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Inn
    Avenue Plaza
    Riviera Beach & Spa
    Yes people I’m not an idiot and I know the weather is not perfect for this thrip. But like I said we’re going so our son can attend a camp. Those dates are not flexible. I can add days but I can’t just change the trip to Spring or Fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. tonyg

Resorts Owned:
    Acadia Village Resort
    We went the last week in April one year and it wasn't the greatest - lots of rainy periods - not too hot or too cold.