• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Windows 7

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since support for Windows 7 is ending soon, what are your plans? I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and replace my old computers or try to update them to Windows 10. I remember with Windows 10 came out, a lot of people had problems trying to upgrade. Another option if I decide to replace my computers is to switch to Apple. What are your plans?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
In contemplation of this I bought a ChromeBook. No more Microsoft updates or anti-virus programs for me...

George

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
In contemplation of this I bought a ChromeBook. No more Microsoft updates or anti-virus programs for me...

George

Same here. When I need more than the ChromeBook can handle, which is very rare, I go to the public library and use one of their laptops. Planned obsolescence is a budget breaker for sure.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am all about the best tool for the job, and I think it depends on your needs. As George mentions, a Chromebook is one option, if it suits your usage. No sense buying more than you need, and some Chromebooks are very powerful. I have a MacBook Pro and and a MacBook Air I use for various reasons, some more complex than others. At work I have a Windows 10 desktop I use all day long. Each machine has pros and cons.

The upgrade to Win 10 nowadays is less problematic than it used to be, as those early upgrade issues have been tweaked out of the process. If your equipment is older, it may need a hardware boost to be able to properly handle the things Win 10 may throw at it. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have an upgraded operating system limping along on equipment that barely supports it. By the time you upgrade the components that need it, you may be money ahead to replace the entire computer.

I never drank the Apple KoolAid, so am not a snob about it. But I like the Mac laptops I have - easy, efficient, intuitive - they're fully functional for my home use, and they integrate well with my iPhone. (I carry an Android tablet when traveling, much cheaper than an iPad, and more easily replaced if something happens to it.) I opted to install Office 365 for Mac on my Apple gear, so I have full access to things like Word, Excel, and Outlook from home. That works quite well.

If you decide on an equipment upgrade, shop around. (Costco.com is a good place to start, to give you ideas to work from.) A lot of desktop Win 10 PCs are being targeted toward gamers and those who need huge power in their systems. Average users don't need that. Ram is critical with Win 10, but you don't have to have a major video card unless you're doing high end graphics work.

If you opt for a Mac, you can research things at a local Apple store to try it hands-on, but do yourself a HUGE favor. Before you buy anything, (once you understand the right words to use to understand the Mac hardware), visit the Apple Refurbished store. They take returns through a massive factory-refresh process, repairing and replacing anything worn, and then they sell essentially new, off-the-shelf, certified systems for a huge savings over the full retail. The inventory changes all the time, so it's worth keeping an eye on things, and pulling the trigger when you find the right system. https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished

I hope this is helpful. No specific answer, but some food for thought. :) Good luck!

Dave

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Having Windows 7 going out of support doesn't necessarily mean you have to replace or update them as they will work the same as they always have. Heck, I believe we have an old laptop with Windows XP that we fire up every once in a while. That one has some software and a serial interface that is used for my daughter's Lego robotics, and it still works perfectly fine.

In general, I don't do major OS upgrades on my computers -- too many issues / compatibility problems. Instead, I will use them until I feel I need a faster, more powerful computer (or they fail), and then just get the latest OS on the new computer and repeat the process.

Kurt

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
My last batch of computers was assembled about ten years ago from parts I selected. This time I bought a couple five-year-old used computers with Windows 10 installed. The ones I bought were Dell T1700 models with Xeon processors. Then I installed solid state drives for the OS. Migrating the data is not too difficult. It takes a little time gradually getting all the applications installed.

They run pretty well, and are much cheaper than building from scratch again.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Having Windows 7 going out of support doesn't necessarily mean you have to replace or update them as they will work the same as they always have. Heck, I believe we have an old laptop with Windows XP that we fire up every once in a while. That one has some software and a serial interface that is used for my daughter's Lego robotics, and it still works perfectly fine.

In general, I don't do major OS upgrades on my computers -- too many issues / compatibility problems. Instead, I will use them until I feel I need a faster, more powerful computer (or they fail), and then just get the latest OS on the new computer and repeat the process.

Kurt
The problem with losing Windows 7 support is that no more security updates will be released. Even after all these years hackers are still finding ways to break into Windows 7 computers and Microsoft is going to stop plugging the security holes. When Windows 7 isn't supported anymore, developers will also stop updating older versions of their applications.