• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

With all we know, why do we ...

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Yesterday, I went to visit both the Marriott Ocean Club and the Hyatt Ka’anapali Residence Club. That Hyatt is something else, but $70 - 100k+ is a bit much to me. I checked resale and folks are still asking 80k!

I got to thinking though. With all that we know as Tuggers about timeshares, why do we still buy them? Some of us have several weeks! We may have gotten taken by the developer the first time, but we sometimes buy again with our eyes wide open. Even with resale’s, we still know that the maintenance fees will continue to rise. Some of us can’t let a good deal slide buy{should be by but pun intended). We know all about renting, but still we buy. What is the draw for the knowledgeable Tugger?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to visit both the Marriott Ocean Club and the Hyatt Ka’anapali Residence Club. That Hyatt is something else, but $70 - 100k+ is a bit much to me. I checked resale and folks are still asking 80k!

I got to thinking though. With all that we know as Tuggers about timeshares, why do we still buy them? Some of us have several weeks! We may have gotten taken by the developer the first time, but we sometimes buy again with our eyes wide open. Even with resale’s, we still know that the maintenance fees will continue to rise. Some of us can’t let a good deal slide buy{should be by but pun intended). We know all about renting, but still we buy. What is the draw for the knowledgeable Tugger?

I do agree with you for most locations but there are some locations that it cost so much to rent that buying resale is a cost effective purchase. You're at one place now that I believe falls into that category. I have quite a few weeks that I rent but the number one reason I own and own multiple weeks is because I have a dream that I will be able to spend as much as 2 months on Maui for a fraction of the cost it costs everyone else. We'll be able to take 4 weeks and split into 8 weeks and rent a few others and basically stay for free. That is where there are still great value, prime locations that cost a premium to rent. Then you have to do the math to figure if your ROI is worth it but I do agree that most places are better off rented.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
What is the draw for the knowledgeable Tugger?
We still like timeshares better than hotels & we still enjoy vacationing in spacious & luxurious timeshare condos at Motel 6 & Super 8 rates.

We do that by using our resale RCI Points timeshare not only as a toe-hold into the points system, but also as our entré into RCI's Last Call & sale-priced Extra Vacation Getaway offerings.

Sure, those are mostly the off-season dogs & cats of the timeshare world. But we're OK with that because our favorite vacation destinations are places oversupplied with timeshares & our customary vacation times are off-season.

Is this a great country or what ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

I consider myself an evolved knowledgeable tugger.

My reasons...

What I own I am guaranteed to be able to go to. I own prime time weeks in prime areas I love. What I own I know I will travel to most of the time.

My units and resorts are a known and offers me the comforts and amenities I want and am accustomed to. It is my “second” home feel without the responsibility.

Owning significantly costs me less then renting. Prime time rentals in prime locations would cost me much more to rent even if I just got a hotel room.

The guaranteed room locations such as beachfront or mountain/lake views I know I have by owning. It would be difficult to match with renting.

Can you tell I am a happy timesharer. Timesharing for 33 years since I was 24. At 58 not slowing down.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use mine as a surrogate second home. Figure 4 weeks a year on the Big Island of Hawaii. . . .

Cost to buy (so far - still need to fill two even year weeks) has been $4400 (1 wk EY) + 3200 (1 wk EY) + 1260 (2 wks EOYO) = $8860 USD (including all closing costs)
Note: I'm fussy. I only buy the largest 2 bdr, top floor timeshares, in a building with an elevator. And all at the same timeshare, so I don't have to move once I arrive, until I leave. Plus I keep things in a little store room (extra cost) so I don't have to haul much back and forth.

MFs are currently around $6500 a year. Yes, they will go up. So would taxes on a second home.

A equivalent condo (in the same area - I can see them out the window across the golf course) runs for $400,000 to $500,000. Taxes would run about $2500. Utilities? Hard to say, but you need to leave them on so you have power and water when you arrive. $1000 a year? Condo fee? At least $5000 a year. That adds up to $8500 a year. Then the return on $400,000? At 3%, that's another $12,000 lost income from pay for the condo.

All up, $20,000 a year. With little store room, I currently pay around $7,000 (divide by 28 days and that's 250 a day. Try renting a nice hotel suite for that!). But like all bargain hunting, knowledge is King! (THANK YOU TUGGERS!!!!!)

Plus I get things beyond the price. No maintenance worries, no maintenance fees. No pool headaches. (All rolled into the MFs.) A free ice cream cone every Wednesday. I may have to given them away eventually, but then again I probably won't have spend more that $10,000 to $12,000 for them in the first place. . .

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Your question is presented as though we all did something we should not have done.
I find your premise to be quite faulty.

In my case, for my family, it is the exact opposite. We purchased several weeks with Marriott in 1998, then more weeks later,
and since then several MORE after that.
We currently own 10 Marriott weeks and 6 non-Marriott weeks (about half of our weeks are resales), and we enjoy every single one, and because of our ownership,
we have traveled all over the world and assuredly all over this country, both inside & outside the continental US.

Our children have seen it all, since beginning about ages 8 & 11, and have enjoyed many, many family trips together their whole lives.
I think our beach count for Grande Ocean alone is up to about 78 occupied weeks now....that's a heck of a lot of fun for kids to enjoy the beach, not to mention for us parents!

WHY did I continue to buy them, as you ask? Simply, to OWN MORE WEEKS, to travel MORE and to travel MORE OFTEN,
and to own a forever-positive cash flow if I ever stop traveling and decide to RENT THEM.

There has been nothing but positive that has come from our ownership weeks. We enrolled most of the Marriott weeks
in the DC program early on when we could, so we were at the right place at the right time to benefit from being
in the DC Points program. Our annual cumulative points add up to 17,800 should we decide to avail ourselves of that.
Our options are now virtually endless, and we are very thankful for it.
Without Marriott, we would not have done any of it.....and if we tried, we'd have spent far, far more, with no prospects of EVER lowering the cost going forward!

Our kids continue to thank us all the time, and we continue to use our weeks the best we can despite the different directions
we have taken because the kids have grown up. But now, we have the ultimate flexibility to let everyone still participate by also taking individual vacations when we cannot all get together. And we're still happy. For instance, we've enjoyed the last two weeks at Grande Ocean in Hilton Head----our attorney son flew into Savannah to stay 4 nights with us. Our dentist daughter could not
make the trip because she was going to Maine on a girls' high school anniversary trip, partly arranged through connections from our timeshare ownership, so there are benefits everywhere we turn, and we make it work.
But their jobs do indeed make it more challenging, but the flexibility is still there.

I get excited every single year in booking everything, because each year is totally different, and we continue to
try new things and new places. My wife and I are going to Italy this Fall for 2 weeks for the first time,
and next year we'll go to Ireland for the first time, both trips with other couples, which is a first.
As a family we've all been to Europe several times---England, Scotland, and France--- but only our kids have already been to Italy
(connections via Marriott affiliation etc).

So, "with all we know about timeshares", as you say, we have an off-the-charts ADVANTAGE to be able to
CONTINUE traveling at a far, far, far cheaper rate exactly BECAUSE we have been highly trained, and because of "what we know".
And frankly, the more one buys, if he/she "indeed knows more", the more he/she can enjoy MORE, for LESS.
Isn't that the ultimate and original intent of timeshare ownership anyway?

On the other hand, which maybe speaks more to your assumed sentiment or perspective, if someone bought foolishly,
either the brand or the location, or whatever, and it turned out to be bad,
I'm so sorry for that.

But it surely didn't happen that way for us, and I suspect it's the same for most Marriott owners here.
If there are disillusioned Marriott owners out there, knowing myself everything that Marriott offers,
I truly wonder how they could have screwed up such a good thing.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own timeshare because
- We like to stay in a resort setting in large comfortable 4-star units which including separate living/dining room
- We don't trust private rentals and developer/hotel rental costs are higher than MF fees

We like to exchange because
- We like to feel like we get a good deal
- We go to other locations that we don't own

We also bought from developer, in particular Marriott, when cost is not astronomically higher than the resale market, i.e. hybrid package. It is more convenient to purchase this way.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Whoa, Jim!

I was being facetious. A little tongue in cheek there, Jim. I am closing on a deal with Marriott now at two properties and a boatload of points. I too have enjoyed my timeshare ownerships and enjoy traveling with my kids and grandkids. However, I can see benefits of renting over owning as well. We know the benefits which are usually, but not always qualitative. The second home concept is often used and I totally get that. As knowledgeable timeshares we have done nothing wrong with having them.

Your question is presented as though we all did something we should not have done.
I find your premise to be quite faulty.

In my case, for my family, it is the exact opposite. We purchased several weeks with Marriott in 1998, then more weeks later,
and since then several MORE after that.
We currently own 10 Marriott weeks and 6 non-Marriott weeks, and we enjoy every single one, and because of our ownership,
we have traveled all over the world and assuredly all over this country, both inside & outside the continental US.

Our children have seen it all, since beginning about ages 8 & 11, and have enjoyed many, many family trips together their whole lives.
I think our beach count for Grande Ocean alone is up to about 78 occupied weeks now....that's a heck of a lot of fun for kids to enjoy the beach, not to mention for us parents!

WHY did I continue to buy them, as you ask? Simply, to OWN MORE WEEKS, to travel MORE (and MORE OFTEN),
and to own a forever-positive cash flow if I ever stop traveling and decide to RENT THEM.

There has been nothing but positive that has come from our ownership weeks. We enrolled most of the Marriott weeks
in the DC program early on when we could, so we were at the right place at the right time to benefit from being
in the DC Points program. Our annual cumulative points add up to 17,800 should we decide to avail ourselves of that.
Our options are now virtually endless, and we are very thankful for it.
Without Marriott, we would not have done any of it.....and if we tried, we'd have spent far, far more, with no prospects of EVER lowering the cost going forward!

Our kids continue to thank us all the time, and we continue to use our weeks the best we can despite the different directions
we have taken because the kids have grown up. But now, we have the ultimate flexibility to let everyone still participate by also taking individual vacations when we cannot all get together. And we're still happy. For instance, we've enjoyed the last two weeks at Grande Ocean in Hilton Head----our attorney son flew into Savannah to stay 4 nights with us. Our dentist daughter could not
make the trip because she was going to Maine on a girls' high school anniversary trip, partly arranged through connections from our timeshare ownership, so there are benefits everywhere we turn, and we make it work.
But their jobs do indeed make it more challenging, but the flexibility is still there.

I get excited every single year in booking everything, because each year is totally different, and we continue to
try new things and new places. My wife and I are going to Italy this Fall for 2 weeks for the first time,
and next year we'll go to Ireland for the first time, both trips with other couples, which is a first.
As a family we've all been to Europe several times---England, Scotland, and France--- but only our kids have already been to Italy
(connections via Marriott affiliation etc).

So, "with all we know about timeshares", as you say, we have an off-the-charts ADVANTAGE to be able to
CONTINUE traveling at a far, far, far cheaper rate exactly BECAUSE we have been highly trained, and because of "what we know".
And frankly, the more one buys, if he/she "indeed knows more", the more he/she can enjoy MORE, for LESS.
Isn't that the ultimate and original intent of timeshare ownership anyway?

On the other hand, which maybe speaks more to your assumed sentiment or perspective, if someone bought foolishly,
either the brand or the location, or whatever, and it turned out to be bad,
I'm so sorry for that.

But it surely didn't happen that way for us, and I suspect it's the same for most Marriott owners here.
If there are disillusioned Marriott owners out there, knowing myself everything that Marriott offers,
I truly wonder how they could have screwed up such a good thing.
!

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
It's a disease. Last time I won an eBay auction, a great deal on a platinum OceanWatch, I woke up, checked and told my wife I won. She called me a loser not a winner! Lol.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

There's really only one reason we should buy, to save money and in some cases, to have choices. There is considerable long term risk, aggravation and compromise with timeshares, even a good option within a good product.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I agree with others, and there are some terrific posts already. I keep buying because each purchase meets a specific vacation desire (not need) for me. It is still more economical for me to use my timeshares, and I would not travel as much as I do if I had to pay rack rate (or rent via VRBO all the time).

As others have noted, I also view the timeshare collection as a second home -- I do not want the "burden" of a second home -- and not sure where I would buy if I wanted one. Jonell and I have talked a great deal about Hawaii, but haven't found a place that would make sense. To replace what we have at MOC would require a $4M condo purchase -- and then I would be renting it out to cover some of the cost. I'd be bummed if I had an unexpected opportunity weekend to go to Hawaii, and was blocked from my own property because I'd rented it.

So I'm better with Open Season (HGVC) and Marriott Flex for short term travel. And the variety is wonderful -- Maui/Oahu/Kauai/Big Island/St. Thomas/Aruba are all fantastic and I love the ability to rotate between them.

I love hearing my kids recall memories of family vacations at the different locations -- it is terrific. I am now in Orlando, and Jack and I had a great week (Sabal Palms/Lakeshore Reserve). I confirmed some of our core vacation preferences, and this was a great week but I has me really looking forward to next Maui trip (late July).

Life is good and we are lucky to have these things available to us. Congrats on your pending purchases and would love to know what you settled on.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have bought and sold several timeshares over nearly 20 years. We are down to one Marriott and two Disney contracts. We are about to buy a Waiohai week. For us timesharing has provided our family and friends with amazing memories and experiences. In addition to using our weeks we have had many wonderful travel experiences using Interval trades or getaway weeks. Our travel habits have changed as our family has grown and grandkids have come. We have a big family trip planned for next May at Disney World. We will be on property at Boardwalk Villas then Animal Kingdom Villas. Being on property makes the experience even better. There is no comparison to having a living room to gather in and a kitchen as opposed to a hotel room. I don’t care how nice a hotel is, it’s still just a hotel room...unless you can afford the presidential suite. When we want larger accommodations, we rent homes via VRBO/homeaway.

Our children who are now adults with children of their own have come to fully appreciate the benefits and economy of timesharing. Hopefully our good health will continue so we can continue to enjoy travel.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
Owning a timeshare was a great decision for my family since we purchased our first two in 1995. We travelled outside of timeshares as much if not more then within. We now own 2 HHI summer weeks and a EOY 2 Br Grand Chateau. The last five years my adult boys (27 and 30) have alternated trips with us to HHI or Aruba. Their girl friends are invited and go when they can. If/when they get married, I pray it continues. I usually rent one of the HHI that funds a trip for my wife and I. The last two were Bercelona and Punta Cana. I have no doubt that my kids enjoy our family vacations and I think would do so even if i didn't pay. We are discussing 2019 and a possible 2 weeks in Hawaii. I have started the task f trying to make this happen using trades and travel packages. My wife and kids are clueless on what it takes to make our vacations happen given the dynamics of everyone's schedule and working the system. If we can afford it and are healthy enough I would enjoy yearly 3 month vacations traveling Europe or Asia using AirBNB or Marriott hotels when I retire. I will keep timeshares in our plans for the kids and only add more if we can't afford to travel the world the way I would like.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
My timeshare(s) have provided me with more vacations, fun, enjoyment, adventures, in a large part of the world than I could have ever had or afforded without them. It's as simple as that. Sure, MFs go up. Restaurants have doubled in the past few years. Gas has gone up (though I have electric). Rent goes up. Hotels go up. That's life.

mj2vacation

Reaction score
I would not pay out of pocket to travel the way that we do.

Just got back from Maui (Maui Ocean Club), Oahu (Disney’s Aulani) and Seattle (Residence Inn downtown).

Airfare on credit card points. Hotel in Seattle Reward points. Stays on Maui and Oahu timeshares.

If I was dropping $9k a week for Aulani, I would have to be on some serious anti anxiety substance to not flip out about the cost. We could easily pay for it, it just does not fit my worldview.

We would travel less frequently and in lesser accommodations, which would present issues, as I have been able to set the bar high for my girls.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a pet peeve of mine. When you buy and use a timeshare, any timeshare, you are paying OOP. Hopefully it makes it cheaper, better or both but it has real and direct cost either way. I'm good with looking big picture at the average overall for most situations, but less so for DVC because the points are so liquid. I don't want to have blinders on but I don't want to be "penny wise and pound foolish" either.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got to thinking though. With all that we know as Tuggers about timeshares, why do we still buy them? Some of us have several weeks! We may have gotten taken by the developer the first time, but we sometimes buy again with our eyes wide open. Even with resale’s, we still know that the maintenance fees will continue to rise. What is the draw for the knowledgeable Tugger?

The trades I have made have been much cheaper than renting - for beautiful resorts with plenty of space. I have only bought resale and have never wasted a second on developer sales crap. II fees and maintenance fees go up...but most everything does, so I'm not looking at those fees in a vacuum.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Since we stay at the same place every year for three consecutive (Waiohai), we purchased the weeks because renting three consecutive weeks is really hard to do. Getting the first week is easy, and you may even rent for a song. But getting the next two to line up arrival days can be very expensive, as you are very limited on what you can get.

Because we travel with kids, we found timeshare to be a no-brainer, as we could get a single hotel room on Waikiki beach (i.e. Outrigger Reef) for about $250 a night + $30 parking + $30 resort fee or stay at a 2BR Waiohai for about $300 a night (maintenance fees). Plus, we got to save a lot of money by buying groceries and cooking meals instead of eating at expensive restaurants. And we get to pack lighter because we have laundry in our own unit.

So we looked at Timeshare as a big upgrade from a hotel, and owning mitigates the uncertainty of renting consecutive weeks.
But with this comes the risk of a Special Assessment or our $5000 per week "investment" losing value. We were willing to take the risk that the value would drop to zero (these have already dropped by 90% of the original developer price). Realistically, I don't see these Marriott weeks falling below $3000. In the meantime, the yearly "value" to us of staying at a place we love, in a unit almost 4x the size of a room on Waikiki for essentially the same price is incalculable.

Even if the Marriott value did drop to zero, we feel like it was worth it. We have taken a lot of vacations as a family that we would not have otherwise taken. You can't put a price on that.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We visited some friends on the weekend. They had just come back from a wonderful trip in New York City. They stayed in a tiny 1 bedroom with two adults and two teenagers that they rented on AirBnB for about $300 per night. Not a bad price for NYC. When they called the owner to confirm, he said he had bad news. The water heater had broken down and it was going to take a few days to fix. He did offer them a discount off 2 days but they took freezing cold showers for 3 days. This is another example of why I prefer professionally managed and maintained branded resorts over AirBnB.

The other reasons I like timeshares over hotels, owner rentals and AirBnB are the extra space of 2 bedrooms, having a kitchen, guaranteed view, the ability to get owner's preference for reserving the dates I want, not having to rely on individual owners for "subletting" from them, increased safety and quality over AirBnB, and knowing that we will have resort facilities to use. I bought resale so I will lose little, if any, money when I sell. In fact, my Disney timeshares have appreciated. As reference, we own both deeded weeks and points at a four timeshare companies.

Also, I do not think the MFs are high. It is much cheaper than what I used to pay for hotel rooms. I like having access to the Getways, which on II often can be reserved 6-8+ months in advance for less than the MFs. I also like that many of my timeshares come with owner perks not available to non-owners or through AirBnB.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also like that I can rent my timeshares for 25% to 50% above the MFs in any years we can't use them ourselves. I did not buy to rent but having the option is helpful.

I also like owning 2 bedroom lockouts because we can use the entire unit with family and friends, we can do two weeks in a row or we can stay in the one bedroom and rent the studio portion.

I feel timeshares are super flexible. It is basically owning 1/52 of a condo.

Ironically, the Ritz Carlton Club owners do not think they own a timeshare. One owner told me it was not a timeshare. To me, a fractional is 1/12 (4 weeks) of a timeshare. Funny how perceptions are different.

Also, when I mentioned my upcoming Disney and Marriott vacations using my points programs, my friends thought it was great and they said it sounds better than timeshares! LOL

Last edited:

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We purchased at timeshare week at a resort in Cancun (Crown Paradise Club) in 2006. It was later converted to points in 2010, I think. The sales person told us from the beginning that the only value you get is to stay here, not to try to exchange them on RCI, etc. Over the past 12 years we've probably stayed 13 or 14 weeks total there, and have had many, many great memories. Everyone knows us, most of the same staff year-to-year-to-year. We still have like 150 nights at a 1 bedroom remaining on our contract, no maintenance fees just you pay the all-inclusive (which is reasonable).

Fast forward to this year we really took at hard look at MVC while staying at Grande Vista on MR points. Took the leap. Looking forward to the journey(s). We look at it (as some of you above have) as our retirement 2nd home that moves around as we want it to, without the hassles of owning another house far away from where we live now.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only reason I have bought timeshares is because it's cheaper and better quality than what I would book instead. I would still take exactly the same amount of vacations, timeshares have just made them cheaper and nicer. My three bedroom suite walking distance to Disneyland for less than a standard hotel room? How about the 4 bedroom condo in Mexico that's bigger than my house for a trip with the grandparents? That one cost under $200/night total. Two bedroom Marriott/Hilton units in close proximity to great attractions/beaches? The list goes on.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
We bought timeshares instead of a second home. Love the flexibility and not having to do any maintenance on the home. Yes we will pay more in the long run with mf but we paid way less than a vacation home in Carlsbad that would sit empty 50 weeks out of the year.

There is no way I would stay for a month in a hotel room on vacation. We are able to visit so many places that I would have never thought possible pre timesharing.

Bonus is that I have met many great Tuggers and hopefully will be able to meet many more.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We bought our first timeshare in 1985, the year after we got married. It wasn’t a good location for us and it was a developer purchase, but we traded it a lot over the years and enjoyed great vacations. Like others have said, much better than a hotel room, especially as we had kids. Those experiences led us to buy another one that we owned for many years.

We ultimately sold both of our original units and bought into Welk (since sold), Marriott and Vistana. I would never have imagined that we would own as much as we do, but we enjoy the variety and quality of the resorts and the experiences. We definitely wouldn’t travel as much as we do if we rented units from owners or directly from the resort.

Timesharing can definitely be addictive! Dilly! Dilly!

Best regards.

Mike

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought timeshares instead of a second home. Love the flexibility and not having to do any maintenance on the home. Yes we will pay more in the long run with mf but we paid way less than a vacation home in Carlsbad that would sit empty 50 weeks out of the year.

There is no way I would stay for a month in a hotel room on vacation. We are able to visit so many places that I would have never thought possible pre timesharing.

Bonus is that I have met many great Tuggers and hopefully will be able to meet many more.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
We actually made a conscious decision back in the early 90's to buy timeshares. We discussed an airstream, condo and timeshares. I had an uncle who was a big proponent of the airstream and a number of friends who own FL vacation condo's. But we didn't have a place to keep the airstream or a vehicle to tow it and I really didn't see that option as working for us, seemed like too much work and risk. And I didn't see us going one place all the time which made the condo less of a benefit. In retrospect we made the best decision from a usage and vacation standpoint, the condo might have been a better financial choice though I doubt it. The other benefit for us was to get in the habit of travel and vacation, something we couldn't and wouldn't have done previously.