• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV Deluxe OF Studio worth the SO's?

LobsterHunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA, WMH, WDW, SDO, SMV, WLR, (WFlex-no more, sold)
Will be going to WKORVN and curious if it is worth the extra SO to try and get the OF Deluxe studio in the south property for my 85 y/o mom who will be travelling with us for the 1st (and probably only) time to Maui?

I've seen the view pictures from the OF units at WKORV (center & 1br deluxe) but can't seem to find many of what the actual view is from the deluxe studio lanai. Is the view comparable to some of the OF view units in the North property (which should almost be considered more OV then OF)?

I did see one pic that David posted in the "view from balcony" thread & thought that looked like it would be worth the extra SO's to know you get that kind of view if that is typical.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The OF views vary widely in the north phase, because the buildings are at an angle.

But it's still going to be a better view than a floating view - which is your only other alternative with Staroptions. A floating view may have no water view at all. So for your mom's only trip to Maui - I'd go for it.

Here is a resort map - bldg. 5 & 8 are the OF North buildings - I'd request a high floor in bldg. 8 for the best view.

*You can make your request online on the dashboard - I'd in addition to Bldg. 8 and high floor, I'd mention it's for your 85 year old mom's one and only trip to Maui.

WKORVcolorAerial.jpg

Last edited:

LobsterHunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Denise. My question was actually about the OF deluxe studio units in the SOUTH property (I probably should have left out the part about my family staying in the North property, too much confusion)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Will your mom be happy and feel safe being that far away from you? I think that is probably a bigger issue. For most moms - a 2 bdm. lock-off with her in one side and you in the other would probably be their preference over view.

Are OF Studios available? They are hard to get!

Last edited:

LobsterHunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
She is still very mobile and would feel safe. She won't be out on the beach all day (if much at all), the view is VERY important for her.

I already have the unit reserved, but was concerned that some reviews have said the view is not good from the corner deluxe units. We have always stayed at the North property and am aware how much the OF views vary, but never really paid attention to what the views would be from the deluxe OF studio units in the South property. If the view isn't that good, I will try and get her in the North w/us.

Hokulanui

Reaction score
The ocean front units at the KORV South properties are absolutely amazing! In my opinion, they are well worth the extra Staroptions. You can see the sunset over the ocean. I never tire of looking out at the water. The ocean front balconies are slightly larger. I like to read and relax on the balcony. Plus I like the sound of the ocean. If it was my mom, or if it was for me, I wouldnt hesitate to book an ocean front at the South Westin KORV if it was available. Bless you for taking your mom to Hawaii.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The studios don't face the ocean, and the lanais are small, so it's an angled view - but still a very nice view.

I took this sunset picture from Bldg. 2 - Studio - OFD - facing north.

WKOVR_lanai_view.jpg

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
OFD studio layout. The balcony is ~90sqft (~9x10ft)

WKORVDlxStudiofloorplan_studioprem_512_zps6789b9ab.gif

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
B3 - 5th floor OFD studio - south towards BlackRock

9be1b666da77274487f384f67c2cc808_zpsda3a8527.jpg

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For a once in a lifetime trip, I think it would be worth it. It will be much better than what you get using staroptions otherwise.

From a proximity point of view, I think I'd request building 2 for her and building 5 for you, given an 85 year old. It's really not that far, we stayed at WKORV and my parents were at the Sheraton Black Rock once, and walked back and forth all the time. (they're not 80s, however)

LobsterHunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise & David, thanks for the pics & floor plan! Doesn't look like the lanai is any smaller then the lanai of the studio at the North property, but the view from both of your pics looks better then the view from the 1br OF units that we have been upgraded to at the North property on previous visits. Going to keep the reservation for her & she is bringing her sister now based on the pics you shared!

Interesting tidbit: on prior visits, we were upgraded to OF units, but only if we were staying 7 nights w/a F/S/S check-in. Seems like now you can book any # of days with any check-in day in an OF unit (if available) at either property for the increased # of SO. On a 12 night stay, we had to move from the upgraded OF unit to another unit for the other 5 nights because of the 1 week rule. Either way, looks like the South units are definitely worth the extra SO if you can get the OF units. Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is correct - you can now reserve any number of nights, in the Oceanfront and Floating categories with Staroptions, at 8 mos., if available.

Doesn't look like the lanai is any smaller then the lanai of the studio at the North property

One of the posts above said that the Oceanfront Lanais are larger, and I just wanted to clarify that the studios have small lanais. (The IV, and OV, studios in the south phase actually don't have lanais AT ALL.)

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The OFD studios balconies are larger than studios at WKORVN.

As far as studios at the south resort - only the OFC studios have better views than OFD studios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Photos from OFD B2 north-side 5th floor (Aug 2015)
{forgot I can add via TapaTalk}
3031056085cc023793137f1c3dc60b93.jpg

652dd7dfec2806b4e4dbea623f49a762.jpg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WOW! Truly fabulous pictures, Dave.

(Go GIANTS!) :D

Last edited:

LobsterHunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
YES, thanks Dave! Your pictures alone actually answered my initial question. It is worth the extra SO's. Thanks again.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Photos from OFD B2 north-side 5th floor (Aug 2015)
{forgot I can add via TapaTalk}

The photos from this summer that I eventually got working in the "view from the balcony" thread were the same corner, just up a floor.

Definitely can't beat the view, other than OFC I guess.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WOW! Truly fabulous pictures, Dave.

(Go GIANTS!) :D

I am exhausted after that game
Go Giants!
BELIEVEN

I can imagine Ruth with a big smile on her sweet face...

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
YES, thanks Dave! Your pictures alone actually answered my initial question. It is worth the extra SO's. Thanks again.

My preference order for OFD studio would be B2-south, B3-north, B3-south, B2-north. I like B2 because of elevator, but the distance between the north side and WKORVN building (B5?) is too close (plus pirate pool noise).

With some staying at WKORVN - shoot for B2, much shorter distance - notice in map that B2-B3 distance is wide. this is why I prefer the south resort, seems more open.

tropical1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was able to get a 1bedroom OFD using staroptions in October. These are on the corners of the oceanfront buildings right? I have only stayed in WKORVN. If I am assigned a first floor unit (I hope not but...) will there be obstacles in my view? I did see someone had a bad first floor oceanview but I don't remember if it was OFD.
David, I see your order of preference above for OFD studio would that be the same for the 1 bedroom? I have been lucky with nice oceanviews on past trips but really want a good view this year because we are celebrating our 30 year wedding anniversary this year.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was able to get a 1bedroom OFD using staroptions in October. These are on the corners of the oceanfront buildings right? I have only stayed in WKORVN. If I am assigned a first floor unit (I hope not but...) will there be obstacles in my view? I did see someone had a bad first floor oceanview but I don't remember if it was OFD.
David, I see your order of preference above for OFD studio would that be the same for the 1 bedroom? I have been lucky with nice oceanviews on past trips but really want a good view this year because we are celebrating our 30 year wedding anniversary this year.

How do you know it is an OFD when using SOs? Couldn't it be OFC? - same amount of SOs are used. Does it state OFD on your reservation confirmation?

OFD are the corner ones. Unless you are on 5-6 floors, there will be most likely some type of obstruction (aka Trees, but they have been severely cut over the last few years). The 1st floor could be an issue since it is less private (same with OFC), and over BBQs (on pool side). However, there is still ocean view from all - you can tell by looking at building 2 and 3 in photos. The OFD studio is behind the OFD 1Bd (on corners) - the 1st balcony on side of buildings.

My preference is about the same with the 1Bd side - however, we prefer 5-6 floors and that hasn't been an issue because we are Owners, and I call 12 months in advance (and we do not go in high-season).

Family/friends and renters have stayed in our OFD studios over the last 10 years - no one has ever complained and all have nothing but good things to say. I have even follow-up with Renters (when I can) to see how their stay was - always great reviews - both the studio and resort. However, the lowest has been on 3rd floor. Funny, how some people here have opinions about the OFD studio - yet, never stayed in one. I would prefer the balcony to be straight-on like the OFC, but the OFD studio is superior to the OFC studio in both layout and size (and light).

As you are probably aware - location will be based on occupancy by Owners, and timestamp. The lower the season, the more chance to have a higher floor. I have posted photos.

Congrats on 30th - and enjoy your anniversary.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When you make the reservation, it says OFD on the Villa finder if it's OFD, and the confirmation will also say OFD. I posted examples in the other thread on this topic.

I have stayed in an OFD studio, I liked it, and I thought the view was nice, but I like to look directly at the ocean better.

tropical1

TUG Member
Reaction score
It did say on the villa finder and on the confirmation Oceanfront Deluxe 1 bedroom premium villa. I did reserve right at 12:00 ET so I should have a good timestamp. I am 3* and its off season so maybe I have a chance at something higher than 1st floor but of course you never know.
Thanks for responding and for anniversary wishes!