• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Worldmark v Wyndham (and use of WM for II Trades)

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s been recommended that I purchase WM points for my intended purpose of having a “strong II” trader to trade into peak (high TDI) II “elite” coded properties.

A few questions:

1. Is the above a correct and fair assessment (strong II” trader to trade into peak (high TDI) II “elite” coded properties)

2. What is the difference between Worldmark and Wyndham?

3. What is a fair per point resale price for Worldmark?

4. Assuming #1 is accurate, How many WM points would be needed to allow me to meet the above objective?

What else should I know (I do not intend to ever use the WM properties for my own use or rentals)

Thank you.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark is a strong II trader. If you are wanting peak trades, you will want to search using the "float" week, which is a fixed points grid.

A 2 bedroom week will use 10,000 worldmark credits, and one housekeeping token. How many credits to buy depends on how many trades you intend to make...

New wyndham owners can't trade through II,so if that is your goal the other differences (lots) aren't that relevant.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
What else should I know (I do not intend to ever use the WM properties for my own use or rentals)
1: The name-brand properties in II (Marriott, Starwood) have an internal preference period. For the first month or so after most units from those two systems are deposited, they can only be "seen" by other deposits from that system. WorldMark will not help you here.

2: I don't know your experience level with timeshares, nor do I know how much time you are willing to devote to learning how third-party exchange works. My standing advice is that unless you have significant experience and/or want to treat exchange like a hobby that is in some ways its own reward, buying something exclusively to use in a third-party exchange system is likely to be a disappointment. You chances of being happy go up if you buy something that you are likely to enjoy using, and would maybe even prefer to use in most years.

arch53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
I purchased Worldmark (7,000 credits) about 10 years ago solely for trading in II. WorldMark has great flexibility in II but you need to have realistic expectations. I have found it best for trading into high end resorts in shoulder and off-seasons. I have found only occasional success in prime seasons and not much prime season success at all in the last 4 or 5 years. Basically, I rent places for high season travel and use II trades for off-shoulder season. If you are willing to moderate your expectations and treat trading as a bit of a hobby, it is fun and rewarding.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
This link will give you a good idea of what kind of trades people get.

There maybe some RCI in here also.

https://www.wmowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6634

Accounts typically sell for .32-.35 cents per annual credit fully load. If a 10K account fully loaded would have 20K credits in account if some are missing you typically pay .07-.08 cents less for each missing credit. Then there is a $299 transfer fee that is typically paid by buyer. You can transfer ownership without closing company, but having one with escrow helps protect money until exchange of ownership happens.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Maintenance fees are based on annual credit account size. Here is a table below for up to 35,000 credit accounts.

BD66DB9D-F116-4D3D-B1F6-0EE3E56AA542.jpeg

Here is the exchange chart. Instant exchange is for any size unit 60 days or less before check in if exchanging in II it’s 45 days before checkin if exchanging in RCI

2BC874B9-46AA-472D-897E-7392C85C9A13.jpeg

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Here's a point or two:

• Westin (VSE) properties tend to be quite strong on the 'preference' in Interval...from my observations
  • Marriott properties are very hit-n-miss on the preference. Some are, some aren't. Time of preference varies. Problem is.....you have to search to know if there are there......
  • Elite is a moniker. Some Elites are amazing. Others are just....'elite.' What do you call an elite all-inclusive? Expensive (and a bad exchange usually).
Somebody mentioned that they have 'no luck' with Worldmark trades in Interval. Hmmm.

I just did an instant-exchange search using my Worldmark on Interval. A few points:
  • Yes, there was a lot of shoulder or off-season availability. Want to go to Spain? France? Hell? (I mean Arizona in the summer....JK). Lots of that.
  • But, Yes, there was a lot of prime/near prime availability.
  • Did I mention I only searched for ELITE resorts? SEVEN pages of elite availability?
    • Oh, easy to say, but what did I find:
      • Jan-June @ Westin Kierland villas (1 bedrooms). That's plat country.
      • Marriott Aruba, St Kitts in shoulder (fall)
      • Las Vegas all year...not just studios
      • Orlando: many--including prime summer weeks. Including Lakeshore...
      • Avon, Breck and Park 2nd week of December. Not prime, but nice resorts
      • Christmas in Palm desert, New years in Embark Palm. That's nice. Westin, Marriott
      • Hilton Head in march (shoulderish)
      • California Plat weeks including Westin. Four Seasons Aviara.
So. If you are looking for a President's day ski weekend or a week in Maui for whales....it's not going to match itself. You might make the exchange....but it takes work and magic. REAL work. Not just checking once a day or placing an OGS.

Here's my suggestion: "We're going to take a week in March: let's see what we can match in March that is really nice.....(elite)" You won't be disappointed.

I matched a Marriott Maui Ocean club 1br (original phase, ocean view thank you) for the first week of February this year. That cost me less than $1000. Actually, more like $650. YMMV.

Also as mentioned above....this example (Maui) is not for the casual owner or trader. It was a bit of an effort to accomplish.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Unfortunately I do not have that flexibility given we have children and are subject to the school vacation schedule.

On a side note, how does one do an II search for "Elite" properties only?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'll answer that: use the resort codes.
check the sightings forum for a great contribution by @youppi with the spreadsheets.

Here's a gentle suggestion: all of your posts have been "how do I..." etc....
Consider reading the great stickies and other guides posted here on TUG.
This might make some of your questions come from a more knowledgeable position.

I'm not chastising....just noticing that you might benefit from some basic information review based on your questions..

I understand the 'kids' aspect of timeshare bookings. You're right, counting on getting trader-exchanges for you vacations with kids might not be prudent.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Thank you. Unfortunately I do not have that flexibility given we have children and are subject to the school vacation schedule.

On a side note, how does one do an II search for "Elite" properties only?

Search by resort code put today’s date in for earliest date and go 1 to 2 years out for latest date.

Then for resort codes try paste all these at once in search window.

HRP, HNS, HWP, HYS, HSH, HYK, HYN, HBK, HMS, HSL, HYP, HYA, HCC, HYB, HYI, HRA, LFP, SXP, STW, SDI, VTA, PGA, PGN, SRM, FSA, SCT, VIO, VO1, VIT, SVV, VKW, VVM, VCC, VIS, VS1, WDL, KAA, KA1, KAN, KA1, WKV, WLR, WMH, WPV, WV1, WRF, WEJ, WSJ, MAW, MFC, MGO, MMB, MPU, MKO, MOW, MAO, MCP, MBY, MMC, MSE, MSF, MDS, MPD, MGR, MSK, MCV, MMO, NCV, MSU, MKW, MPB, MUZ, MGA, MG1, MG3, MG5, MOU, MCU, MGC, MC1, MGK

This will show you all the top tier stuff in Hyatt, Marriott, Westin, Sheraton, and Four Seasons.

If there are other resorts you like that I missed then just add the codes to the list with commas between them

List above is courtesy of the Timeshareguru at following link:

http://www.thetimeshareguru.com/blo...available-exchanges-in-interval-international

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it can be done, but it takes effort, and even more importantly flexibility. If you had a list of 50 top resorts for your dates, I think it's quite likely you'd get one, especially if you were willing to keep waiting. As an example, I have a one week spring break window, last week in March, as my wife is a teacher.

Last year, I traded a Worldmark stay with a TUGger for HGVC Marbrisa.

2019, we're going back to Marbrisa through RCI.

2020 we're going to Vidanta grand luxxe nuevo vallarta. All 2 bedrooms.

If you want hard dates and elite resorts, it might make sense to buy a name brand week to get preference. If you need 2 bedrooms, I'd go Marriott, as Vistana has been locking off all deposits into 1 bedrooms.

jrogersok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark is a strong II trader. If you are wanting peak trades, you will want to search using the "float" week, which is a fixed points grid.

A 2 bedroom week will use 10,000 worldmark credits, and one housekeeping token. How many credits to buy depends on how many trades you intend to make...

What if you don't have a housekeeping token available?

jrogersok

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased Worldmark (7,000 credits) about 10 years ago solely for trading in II. WorldMark has great flexibility in II but you need to have realistic expectations. I have found it best for trading into high end resorts in shoulder and off-seasons. I have found only occasional success in prime seasons and not much prime season success at all in the last 4 or 5 years. Basically, I rent places for high season travel and use II trades for off-shoulder season. If you are willing to moderate your expectations and treat trading as a bit of a hobby, it is fun and rewarding.
Are you able to get a full week with 7000 points? That's what we have. I have another TS that can trade with II but I haven't kept my membership up. I have WM too, so maybe II is the way I should go instead of RCI. This post is leading me to consider it.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Yes you can get a full week with 7000 credits.

See chart I posted earlier in thread.

You can ask WM to deposit a 2 Brm Blue week. 6,000 credits and they will put a random deposit of a two bedroom blue season. You can use that deposit and book any 2 bedroom or smaller you match.

Or you can do a search in last 60 days before check in use the generic 3 bdr WM to search and anything you book is just 4000 credits any size unit.

If you need more credits the you can transfer in up to 2 times account size other owners typically sell them for $0.07 per credit. If you need more than that the sky’s the limit WM will sell them to you for .15 cents each.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't have a housekeeping available, you pay with cash. It varies by size. A studio is $66, 1 bedroom is $87, 2 bedroom is $100.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Are you able to get a full week with 7000 points? That's what we have. I have another TS that can trade with II but I haven't kept my membership up. I have WM too, so maybe II is the way I should go instead of RCI. This post is leading me to consider it.

I only keep RCI for Hiltons. Really, unless you're traveling OCONUS, I find that RCI is pretty severely lacking from the Worldmark/RCI standpoint.
It really comes down to this for me: Do the locations I want to travel to have decent II availability? If yes, then RCI is not really necessary (except for HGVC).

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the HGVC in RCI has better peak date availability than comparable quality resorts in II.

Just one example: I was able to get multiple rooms at Kings Land for January more than a year out. II has the Westin and Marriott TS in Hawaii, but I doubt I would get multiple 2 bedrooms for the same dates a year out without preference, and even with preference that'd be tough.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
I was able to get multiple rooms at Kings Land for January more than a year out.
Does anyone have insight into why RCI would be able to offer Kingsland bookings months before HGVC members have Club - or even Home - week access?

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I only keep RCI for Hiltons. Really, unless you're traveling OCONUS, I find that RCI is pretty severely lacking from the Worldmark/RCI standpoint.
It really comes down to this for me: Do the locations I want to travel to have decent II availability? If yes, then RCI is not really necessary (except for HGVC).
I agree if Hilton jumped ship to II my RCI Points would be of a lot less value to me. Having RCI points I would never use WM to trade in RCI. I only trade it with II.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I think the HGVC in RCI has better peak date availability than comparable quality resorts in II.

Just one example: I was able to get multiple rooms at Kings Land for January more than a year out. II has the Westin and Marriott TS in Hawaii, but I doubt I would get multiple 2 bedrooms for the same dates a year out without preference, and even with preference that'd be tough.
That's interesting.

Also, 1 in 4 rule though, right??