• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham Privileges: new Wyndham VIP Levels starting late 2020 [Merged]

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
We rent out enough points to cover our annual maintenance fees. Use to be more, but we are doing more traveling and stay longer. So many place and so little time.
Nice, so your a VIP that rents to cover maintenance fees?

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, for now. As we travel more and more and stay longer we'll do less renting. Add family and friends into the mix we'll need all our points. Family and friends stay for free with us. They even get their own units.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice, so your a VIP that rents to cover maintenance fees?
I think your misinterpreting 55plus response.
He’s not renting at break even of the MFs on the points used for the individual rental reservation.
It’s more like some VIPs might rent for MFs X 2. Rent half of their points to cover 100% of their yearly MFs on all points owned
Someday you just might understand that for some owners it’s cheaper to own instead of renting. 55plus & others have told you their VIP account has paid for itself. The cost of their VIP account has paid for itself & now they are definitely staying cheaper than you renting & owning resales

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
He’s not renting at break even of the MFs on the points used for the individual rental reservation.
It’s more like some VIPs might rent for MFs X 2. Rent half of their points to cover 100% of their yearly MFs on all points owned
Someday you just might understand that for some owners it’s cheaper to own instead of renting. 55plus & others have told you their VIP account has paid for itself. The cost of their VIP account has paid for itself & now they are definitely staying cheaper than you renting & owning resales

Exactly. This premise that there is an unlimited supply of VIP owners who are willing to rent out their VIP discount and throw free upgrades into the deal as a bonus is simplistic at best. I am sure there are some who are willing to do that from time to time. But to suggest that it is simple and easy to do is just misleading people. It is an opportunistic strategy that works in some situations, but is somewhat like the claims made by Wyndham salespeople. It ignores all the people out there who have to put in for vacation well in advance, book airfares, might need more than 1 unit, and cannot wait to see if a VIP scores the desired time with their VIP discount.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct on all points. Sounds to me he makes his situation work and enjoys many vacations at a very low cost by renting to cover most if not all of his maintenance fees.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly. This premise that there is an unlimited supply of VIP owners who are willing to rent out their VIP discount and throw free upgrades into the deal as a bonus is simplistic at best. I am sure there are some who are willing to do that from time to time. But to suggest that it is simple and easy to do is just misleading people. It is an opportunistic strategy that works in some situations, but is somewhat like the claims made by Wyndham salespeople. It ignores all the people out there who have to put in for vacation well in advance, book airfares, might need more than 1 unit, and cannot wait to see if a VIP scores the desired time with their VIP discount.
I agree, I own points and have found a way to make it work. My situation may not work for others. Sometimes it is cheaper to use my own points but on occasion it is cheaper to rent from a VIP booking within the 60 day window.
This post is my personal opinion

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, for now. As we travel more and more and stay longer we'll do less renting. Add family and friends into the mix we'll need all our points. Family and friends stay for free with us. They even get their own units.
Any way you can make it work and enjoy while your still young and have good health.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any way you can make it work and enjoy while your still young and have good health.
We enjoy traveling and it's nice to have a revenue stream that off sets our travel costs. We don't need the additional revenue, but like I stated, it's nice to have. We are retired so we can leave at a moment's notice. This means if I find something or a cancellation within 60 at a location that interests us I book it at half points and away we go. I enjoy the challenge to travel at half points. It's a challenge in the summer. You have to stay on top of it. Most openings happen at 15 days out from check-in. Those come from renters who dump their reservations that they didn't rent. Most don't or can't afford to lose the points so we take advantage of it. Does this answer your question?

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoy traveling and it's nice to have a revenue stream that off sets our travel costs. We don't need the additional revenue, but like I stated, it's nice to have. We are retired so we can leave at a moment's notice. This means if I find something or a cancellation within 60 at a location that interests us I book it at half points and away we go. I enjoy the challenge to travel at half points. It's a challenge in the summer. You have to stay on top of it. Most openings happen at 15 days out from check-in. Those come from renters who dump their reservations that they didn't rent. Most don't or can't afford to lose the points so we take advantage of it. Does this answer your question?
Yes I also travel at last minute. Not many can wait till last minute but It is a great way to travel and stay at very nice resorts for less then renting a cheap hotel room. The changes that Wyndham made it a little more difficult but I have adapted and made it work still. I have also found it very common to find availability 15 days out. Only thing better then 1/2 off is free.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I also travel at last minute. Not many can wait till last minute but It is a great way to travel and stay at very nice resorts for less then renting a cheap hotel room. The changes that Wyndham made it a little more difficult but I have adapted and made it work still. I have also found it very common to find availability 15 days out. Only thing better then 1/2 off is free.
The policy change Wyndham made that I see as beneficial to owners is the 15 day drop dead timeframe for cancelling a reservation. This helped force inventory back into the system for others to take advantage of whether for travel or as a possible rental. The rental option would only benefit those who have access to discounted points.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice to see they will be changing the website. I only got a look at the last one "while under caution" and it was the pits. Never got a chance to exploit it as the one previously was. No guarantee the next one will be any better.

At the moment what happens when two platinum (possibly lower vip) accounts are combined? Has anyone done that recently?

I was surprised they were never interested.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not many can wait till last minute
That’s why you’ve been giving horrible advice to OPs when you made blank statements on renting from a VIP is cheaper than paying MFs without ever asking the OPs about there travel-Ownership needs.

Even if OPs can travel at the last minute doesn’t mean they will find rentals available

Your personal opinion-blank statements are FALSE for most OPs asking about becoming owners.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s why you’ve been giving horrible advice to OPs when you made blank statements on renting from a VIP is cheaper than paying MFs without ever asking the OPs about there travel-Ownership needs.

Even if OPs can travel at the last minute doesn’t mean they will find rentals available

Your personal opinion-blank statements are FALSE for most OPs asking about becoming owners.
Got it. Make it work for you like I have. Due your own due diligence.

Last edited:

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dgalati
Our daughter & SIL have to put in for vacation more than 60 days in advance.
Your personal opinion-blank statements would be worthless & horrible if they & OPs in similar situations happen to take your advice.

Last edited:

Baby Jane

Reaction score
We do that too :)

Baby Jane

Reaction score
Well we wont profit off family and friends so I just pass on what our cost for said points are. May be stupid but that's how we do it. I know they will all miss it when we start our retirement trips. Some people want the guarantee and are willing to pay for full points but usually only summer beach. I also like the peace of mind knowing I am only sending people that I know wont trash the room or steal stuff. When you rent to strangers its a crap shoot.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dgalati
Our daughter & SIL have to put in for vacation more than 60 days in advance.
Your personal opinion-blank statements would be worthless & horrible if they & OPs in similar situations happen to take your advice.
BD,
You already covered this. Yes I agree with you. One size doesn't fit all. Everyone has to find their own way to make it work for them.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
We all post our personal opinions. We don’t need to see this phrase on every post
But when giving actual advice we all need to stick to the FACTS as much as possible

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
We all post our personal opinions. We don’t need to see this phrase on every post
But when giving actual advice we all need to stick to the FACTS as much as possible
BD,
One more time yes I agree, you already covered this several times.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
The policy change Wyndham made that I see as beneficial to owners is the 15 day drop dead timeframe for cancelling a reservation. This helped force inventory back into the system for others to take advantage of whether for travel or as a possible rental. The rental option would only benefit those who have access to discounted points.
I thought this was policy before the change?

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought this was policy before the change?
During Fairfield and early Wyndham you could cancel a reservation up to the day of check-in. An earlier Wyndham policy change, changed it to 15 days prior. That helped put inventory back in the system so others could take advantage of more last minute reservations.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

Do you handle your own rentals, or do you outsource the rental function to a third party? Or do you mostly rent to people you know? Curious as I'm considering taking this approach as well to help offset MFs.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you handle your own rentals, or do you outsource the rental function to a third party? Or do you mostly rent to people you know? Curious as I'm considering taking this approach as well to help offset MFs.
I use Craigslist and do my own invoicing through PayPal. No commission to pay.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
During Fairfield and early Wyndham you could cancel a reservation up to the day of check-in. An earlier Wyndham policy change, changed it to 15 days prior. That helped put inventory back in the system so others could take advantage of more last minute reservations.

That was a change that I really appreciated. That change made staffing at the resorts much easier to manage which made more inventory available in addition to making cancelled reservations available to people who might still be able to use those stays. Before that change there were cancelled points and you had to deal with the restrictions on using them. For some people who go a lot that wasn't a big issue but for people who only took one or two vacations and/or a short trip a year with their points dealing with cancelled points was a headache. And you couldn't credit pool cancelled points either.

Baby Jane

Reaction score
That was a change that I really appreciated. That change made staffing at the resorts much easier to manage which made more inventory available in addition to making cancelled reservations available to people who might still be able to use those stays. Before that change there were cancelled points and you had to deal with the restrictions on using them. For some people who go a lot that wasn't a big issue but for people who only took one or two vacations and/or a short trip a year with their points dealing with cancelled points was a headache. And you couldn't credit pool cancelled points either.
I have found less inventory just out of the 15 day window and more inside it since they have the insurance cancel until day of. :(